PDA

View Full Version : E-/X-Mag Solenoid Stick Issue

PumpPlayer
08-07-2006, 11:31 AM
I have an X-mag running a properly set-up valve with the proper on/off pin, tuned level 10 on the medium spring and a flatline tank set at ~875 psi. 3.2 software. ~10k shots since the software upgrade, probably at least 70-80k before that.

When the 'mag is first gassed up or whenever it is alowed to sit idle for a few mnutes, it will not fire in electronic mode. Once it is switched to hybrid and fired once mechanically, it fires flawlessly in pure electronic mode until it is allowed to sit for a few minutes and then the solenoid sticks again. When the trigger is pulled, there is a slight click as the solenoid attempts to engage but it is unable to move through the entire range of motion. Both the plunger and barrel of the solenoid are clean and free of dirt and debris. Battery is freshly charged.

The solution for me has simply been to keep it in hybrid mode but I'd like to fix what could potentially snowball into a larger problem.

Is it just poor lubrication? Do I need some more oil on the solenoid plunger? I usually refrain from lubricating solenoids but perhaps this one needs a drop or two. I'm inclined to think that there may be a larger problem at play here.

All thoughts are appreciated, thanks.

BigEvil
08-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Common issue believe it or not.

Assuming the trigger is reading properly, the next thing to look at would be the solenoid plunger length. That would be the part of the solenoid that is connected to the sear. If you look at it, you can see it is on a threaded rod. They either loosen up and spin or when the noid gets older it can get tempermental about it.

Here's how to check it. Go to Lornecash's websight www.niedtech.com , register for free, and goto the download section. Download the current Xmod manual and look for the section on the noid plunger adjustment.

Basically, it is probably a little too short, and there is jsut barely not enough going inside the noid for it to pull on reliably. Make it a little longer, and locktite it in place.

If thats not it, then it could be the solenoid itself is on its way out.

Hope this helped.

Outlaw5
08-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Pump player, I have experienced this for about two years. The solution that I found was working through the X-MOD software process of ensuring the mechanics of the marker are flawless before being able to utilize the X-Mod software to its full potential.......What did I do to fix this you ask???.......

After the plunger length check (which for me wasn't an issue as mine was right on the money) I went and disassembled the marker down to the grip frame with the sear in the frame. I put the axyl pin in the sear and eyeballed the 90 degree perpendicular to the frame and manually moved the punger up and down in the solenoid trying to feel for stick. Once I realized I did have stick (Friction). I took out the plunger and looked on the outside for any rub marks. I realized I had a plunger out of true plum in the verticle plane with the sear axyl pin. This very slight bend to the left side of the grip frame in the soleniod made for the hesitation of the marker when firing after it sat for awhile...the problem you have. If you can see the rub marks and slightly bend the plunger back into the verticle plane you will fix your problem. I did it and now my X-MAG with X-MOD software scares people....hehehehe it is awesome. If you see no noticable difference with my possible solution then getting another sear will probably fix the issue. Good Luck and keep us informed.

V/R "Outlaw5"

BigEvil
08-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Pump player, I have experienced this for about two years. The solution that I found was working through the X-MOD software process of ensuring the mechanics of the marker are flawless before being able to utilize the X-Mod software to its full potential.......What did I do to fix this you ask???.......

After the plunger length check (which for me wasn't an issue as mine was right on the money) I went and disassembled the marker down to the grip frame with the sear in the frame. I put the axyl pin in the sear and eyeballed the 90 degree perpendicular to the frame and manually moved the punger up and down in the solenoid trying to feel for stick. Once I realized I did have stick (Friction). I took out the plunger and looked on the outside for any rub marks. I realized I had a plunger out of true plum in the verticle plane with the sear axyl pin. This very slight bend to the left side of the grip frame in the soleniod made for the hesitation of the marker when firing after it sat for awhile...the problem you have. If you can see the rub marks and slightly bend the plunger back into the verticle plane you will fix your problem. I did it and now my X-MAG with X-MOD software scares people....hehehehe it is awesome. If you see no noticable difference with my possible solution then getting another sear will probably fix the issue. Good Luck and keep us informed.

V/R "Outlaw5"

THey can get bent a bit from forgetting to pull the axel pin out before removing the rail. I forgot about the 'bend' issue.

Like Outlaw said, there should be no friction, it should move effortlessly.

bunkerhugger
08-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Might want to start at your level 10 tuning first. I found a polishing of my bolt stem took care of the identical problem.

bunkerhugger
08-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Ahh... Here's where I first noticed the problem and it was AGD that suggested the answer:

http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51019

BigEvil
08-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Ahh... Here's where I first noticed the problem and it was AGD that suggested the answer:

http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51019

Not sure, but I think that is if it wont fire at all you can look at the lvl10. Like PumpPLayer said in the first post, it will shoot in mech. Mine used to do the saem thing. I would shoot it in mech once or twice, then it would be fine for a while in E. I wouldnt hurt to double check the lvl 10 first though.. since it would be the easiest thing to look at.