PDA

View Full Version : Elbow is stock on my valve, help.

bond1313
12-24-2001, 09:58 PM
My albow is stock on my valve, I have tried and tried to get it of but it will not come, I belive they used loctite on it. Does anyone now how to tell what loctite it is or if it is even loctit. Can you also tell me how to get it off, thanks alot.

TheBigRaguPB4L
12-24-2001, 10:23 PM
the valve is ss steal so it should take some abuse of torching it. got to warm it up and turn that sucka hard. don't strip it though. but why would you want to take it out? you're always gonna nead that elbow in there.

bond1313
12-24-2001, 10:26 PM
It it stuck in a wierd spot and i need it to angle down not straight out and I also need to take out the hose the goes into the elbow, its only 6 inchs and goes straight to the asa right across the trigger frame, very uncomfy. I bought a 13 inch hose to go to my drop and i want to put a kapp swivel elbow in. What is the best way of"tourching it".

TheBigRaguPB4L
12-24-2001, 10:29 PM
getting a blow torch and warming it up. maybe one of those little butane hand torches. i would suggest gutting the valve first. so you don't kill the orings and such.

PyRo
12-25-2001, 10:28 AM
First try using a wrench on it if you havent already, you cannot turn it with your hand, just be sure not to turn it too hard as to mess up the threads.
If that doesn't work, take everything out of the valve, and use a butane lighter to heat up the area, and then use a wrench. That should break the loctite. Afterwards go yell at whoever used the loctite.

gizmolax13
12-25-2001, 10:36 AM
yea just get a good grip on the wrench and turn hard...it'll crush the loctite (it's red...) and it's come out....always worked for me

bond1313
12-25-2001, 01:28 PM
How do i now what kind of loctite it is it looks clearish yellow, I think it might be realy old teflon tape.

DYE-BaLLeR
12-25-2001, 09:25 PM
maybe the clearish yellow loctite is the permanent kind, i used the temporary and it was red, u better hope its not permanent or thats gunna be hard as a mutha

bond1313
12-25-2001, 09:49 PM
You think I should send it into agd and have them take it off?

DYE-BaLLeR
12-25-2001, 09:52 PM
just pull really hard, maybe get someone to help u

PyRo
12-26-2001, 07:14 AM
Teflon tape should come off easially, as should temporary loctite.
Since its clearish yellow, it probably isn't premenant loctite which is a red color. The heat thing only works with permenant loctite.

bond1313
12-26-2001, 07:16 AM
I am just going to put it in a viece and pull as hard as I can. Any suggesting on how to put it in the viece or what is the best way not to hurt the valve.

Thordic
12-26-2001, 09:42 AM
You need to heat it first or you risk damaging your threads. Listen to advice, and use a regular lighter applied to the connection for 30 seconds or so. Then use a wrench or a vice and apply pressure while its still hot. Be careful, because the SS can get hot enough to burn you.

Even if you CAN break the seal without heat, you risk damaging the threads on your valve if you don't use heat to loosen it.

Just use the heat.