PDA

View Full Version : Is it hard to install a truck tool bed box?

chip08
08-08-2006, 06:41 PM
I am looking at truck tool bed boxes, and it is definately cheaper to buy one on my own and install it myself. Does anyone know if this is a particularly difficult task? Like most AOers, I'd rather do it myself.

Lohman446
08-08-2006, 07:19 PM
How hard can it possibly be? A couple bolts through the box or double sided tape (I would guess they use bolts)

geekwarrior
08-08-2006, 07:24 PM
How hard can it possibly be? A couple bolts through the box or double sided tape (I would guess they use bolts)

what he said, throw it on your truck, drill the proper holes, bolt it down.

Troen
08-08-2006, 08:08 PM
if i remember correctly, they give you double sided tape to put on the edges of the bed (the top part where the tool box will rest) and if you have the one that goes horizontally (from drivers side to passanger side) behind the cab, you'll have to drill a hole in the box, put in a curved bolt that catches the underside of the top of the bed and you just tighten it, or thats how it was when i did it on mine

MANN
08-08-2006, 09:12 PM
They are like he said ^^^^ . VERY easy. the hardest part is getting it in your truck (need 2 peop) and the fact that it is so dam hot outside.

Altimas
08-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Make sure you keep it locked tight too. I have had 2 Emptied out. :-(

PyRo
08-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Make sure you keep it locked tight too. I have had 2 Emptied out. :-(
Which is why I don't have one.
Keep everything in crates, cases, and 5 gallon pales then store them in the garage when they're not being used.

BeaverEater
08-09-2006, 08:41 PM
they have locks on them, most people are just too lazy to lock them. Im looking at getting one i just need to pay some bills first. Look around at the different types of boxes too. Some are built a lot cheaper but cost the same.

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
08-09-2006, 10:37 PM
What kind of tool box are you installing in the first place? If its the one that hangs off the top of the box its only four J-Bolts and a drill. Another tip if you have access to air tools impact them on instead of lock tighting the them on. Also if you care for your paint on the bed Bed edge protectors are nice.

PyRo
08-09-2006, 10:43 PM
they have locks on them
You can buy the strongest box in the world, if I wanted in there it wouldn't take more than a minute. A big crowbar or sledge hammer would make short work of the cheaper ones. A more expensive one a torch could have open in about 20 seconds without making a sound.

Yes their are people around here that go to those leangths to bust them open when they know their's somthing good inside. With the poularity of the mini torch sets today that you can buy at home depot theivs are getting more into those as a tool.

BeaverEater
08-09-2006, 11:21 PM
ya well if you go to that extent someone can break into your car or truck anyways. If they want it bad enough they will get it.

Skate And Paint
08-10-2006, 12:07 AM
i dont like the hook bolts like someone else mentioned, although i know thats what they all come with...their kinda a pain in the *** to work with. i just got some bolts, drilled a hole, and sucket them babys down tight. what i suggest, is putting a little bit of caulk over the bolts(and any other holes the factory may have pre cut).....that way nothing gets caught on them and ur tool box doesnt fill up with dirt. :nono:

mine cost me about $200 new, which i think is ridiculous cuz i have a little S10. and one that fits a full size ford that my friend owns was also $200 (same brand too)

blamtro
08-10-2006, 12:07 AM
One consideration on the aluminum bed boxes is painting or clear coating the inside of the box. The cheaper boxes (such as husky, etc) are not coated on the inside and the aluminum oxide that forms turns EVERYTHING put in the box black. The better companies (weather guard) clear coat the aluminum to prevent oxidation.

Also, put a piece of plywood, OSB, or at least cardboard in the bottom to protect the truck box.

Skate And Paint
08-10-2006, 12:10 AM
One consideration on the aluminum bed boxes is painting or clear coating the inside of the box. The cheaper boxes (such as husky, etc) are not coated on the inside and the aluminum oxide that forms turns EVERYTHING put in the box black. The better companies (weather guard) clear coat the aluminum to prevent oxidation.

Also, put a piece of plywood, OSB, or at least cardboard in the bottom to protect the truck box.

yes, i forgot about the cardboard thing. thats a very good point, i put some old carper down in the bottom of mine. plus itll help keep some of the rattlin noise down.

billybob_81067
08-10-2006, 02:49 AM
I bought a Delta tool chest for my pickup and instead of going across and sitting on the bedrails it sits down in the bed and the top of it is about flush with the top of my bedrails. Makes it a hell of a lot easier to see when backing up...

Oh and on the topic of people stealing things, someone stole our portable air compressor, a welding helmet and some rod, plus some hand tools and other small stuff out of our service pickup the other night. :mad: Some people oughta be casterated... :shooting:

Big'n slo
08-10-2006, 08:37 AM
I use the bottom half of cap clamps to hold my box down. I didn't want to drill through the bedrails. Holds it nice and tight without damaging anything.

http://www.fishingaccessories.com/images/32004.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jeffreykier/pics/tails.jpg

^ I could fit a dead hooker in there...not that I've ever tried or anything :ninja:

billybob_81067
08-10-2006, 02:54 PM
"OMG there's dead hookers everywhere!"

:p

Ken Majors
08-10-2006, 03:40 PM
"Locks were designed to keep honest men honest."

chip08
08-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Thanks for all the help fellas. I am still looking for a good one to buy. I'm not to worried about things getting stolen from it. I am more interested in the added "trunk space" and I don't usually leave valuables in my truck anyways. I'll keep that clearcoating tip in mind!

bornl33t
08-12-2006, 05:22 AM
I use the bottom half of cap clamps to hold my box down. I didn't want to drill through the bedrails. Holds it nice and tight without damaging anything.

http://www.fishingaccessories.com/images/32004.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jeffreykier/pics/tails.jpg

^ I could fit a dead hooker in there...not that I've ever tried or anything :ninja:

But nothing that measures 4'x8' which is what about everthing in construction comes in.....cool truck though!

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
08-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Nice 150 makes me want to take pictures of my trucks but work trucks are boring.

chip a brand that I trust the most for my trucks is weather guard I got two bed box's and five under bed boxs

BeaverEater
08-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Nice 150 makes me want to take pictures of my trucks but work trucks are boring.

chip a brand that I trust the most for my trucks is weather guard I got two bed box's and five under bed boxs

Hey where did you get your truck boxes? I know that you live around me so i was just wondering. I was looking at some of the truck shops and found that cap connection over on moreland has the best prices.

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
08-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Hey where did you get your truck boxes? I know that you live around me so i was just wondering. I was looking at some of the truck shops and found that cap connection over on moreland has the best prices.

Yeah I checked them out after I installed one on my F250 and Dodge 1500. But I went to Ultimate Truck to have it done which was a big mistake.

but the under box's where done at Badger Truck Center

BeaverEater
08-13-2006, 05:17 PM
ive gotta check out badger and northern tool supply. I looked at ultimate truck but they are a little more pricy on everything there so i really dont like to go there.