PDA

View Full Version : How Xmag breeches work

Toll
08-09-2006, 09:39 PM
General question : How are they secured into the rail?

I'm tinkering with the idea of making my own interchangeable breach system with a body, but quite frankly it's looking ghetto at best.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/BtK-NightShade/breech.jpg

or

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/BtK-NightShade/Breech2.jpg

The problem ofcourse lies in keeping the whole thing together...which would mean I need to

A) have the breech and barrel together, ala Matrix

B) Have the body/rail be one large component.

Any insight would be great, though it's most likely just a pipe dream.

kruger
08-09-2006, 09:45 PM
The Xmag Breech is secured to the body by the barrel. The breech sits in a slot in the body and the barrel threads into the body of the Xmag and slides into the breech, holding it into place. Might I ask why you would want to do this? Other than the Warp feed, or some other side/force feed system, what would be the advantage? Dont get me wrong, I am all for innovation, I am just curious.

Toll
08-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Warp feed. I'd like to have the option to switch without having two different bodies

+ I think it'd be neat to make my own body, even if it was just a ule copy with a swapable part.

FiXeL
08-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Sell your marker and buy an xmag. :D

Seriously, having a body like that made would cost more than selling your marker, maybe adding some cash and getting a xmag. Milling a single body is expencive and can only be done for a resonable price on a CNC mill and producing them in lage quantities.

Maybe AGD could make a aftermarket body with interchangable breeches, but i think they chose not to because it would make the body alot heavier than a ule body. Also they did sell the xmag body as a upgrade body for the emag, and maybe there are copyright and patent issues.

Toll
08-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Or, I could do something completely unheard of!....I'll just make the body out of wood. That aught to do it.

Pics will be up assuming I dont lose a hand or anything of that nature.

Prototype at anyrate. I don't believe it will be much different from a regular Ule body...no fancy milling or anything, just simple.

kruger
08-10-2006, 02:35 PM
I see a whole new, untapped market here. Exotic, imported woods from Brazil and Africa. Custom hand rubbed finishes. These would be the high end markers, the low end would be balsa and cork. Oh, and no smoking around the markers, might heat up thinga a bit :D

FiXeL
08-10-2006, 03:42 PM
And don't shoot over 15 bps for long periods of time, or else the friction of the bolt will ignite your body. :D

Remington
08-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Or, I could do something completely unheard of!....I'll just make the body out of wood. That aught to do it.

Pics will be up assuming I dont lose a hand or anything of that nature.

Prototype at anyrate. I don't believe it will be much different from a regular Ule body...no fancy milling or anything, just simple.

As a woodworker, I like your thought process. But, the tolerances that are needed in order for the marker to cycle correctly just won't be reached with wood, or in the very least, won't last for very long.

Good luck just the same however, it's always good to see some ingenuity on the boards!

kruger
08-10-2006, 05:06 PM
I was actually kidding around. I also like to inovation in any field. Its kinda neat to see what people can come up with. Good luck with whatever you build it out of.

SR_matt
08-11-2006, 09:07 PM
hmmm maybe a wood facade on the body kind of like the plastic shell on the ions but much sexier

-matt

Toll
08-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Er...You guys are reading me wrong, or I'm reading you wrong. One of the two

It's purely a wooden model of what I'd do with the metal. I don't plan on having it be a functional piece on the marker (though you never know) it's self...due to the fact that it's wood.

Earliest I can start work on it is Monday, so we'll see how that goes. I'm pretty good with woodworking so pics up maybe Tues.

kruger
08-11-2006, 11:37 PM
Hush, dont cloud the issue with any facts. Let us roam free in the land of Quarter sawed Oak Xmags, or Ebony RT's

SR_matt
08-12-2006, 08:25 AM
dude if i could get a piece of ebony big enough to do a whole rt out of i would definatly not use it for that... even though it would be the hottest gun in the world id much rather have it for a nice fret board on a custom built gibson SG
-matt