PDA

View Full Version : New bob long gun

Carbon
08-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Old news i know, but its rather exciting.

All the while i am thinking, "this could of been AGD's flagship"

I mean AGD has the viral marketing strategy in a chokehold, all they need is the follow through.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1692691

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEYhTPEnSTY&NR

SnatchForFree
08-09-2006, 11:50 PM
I personally think it looks like a dmion.

Toll
08-10-2006, 12:08 AM
Call it the Dominion?

Doesn't look all that impressive, but that's the case with every marker that is "Fast" or "compact" for me.

st6212
08-10-2006, 12:13 AM
Sorta looks like a shocker, ion and DM all rolled into one.

dahoeb
08-10-2006, 12:20 AM
is it spool valve like the dms? or is it closer to the shocker or ion design?

pennywise
08-10-2006, 12:25 AM
Why in the hell would you name a marker "Mummy" let alone "Mummy 2"?? :confused:

kenndogg
08-10-2006, 01:48 AM
Why in the hell would you name a marker "Mummy" let alone "Mummy 2"?? :confused:

as a tease it was wrapped in taped thus giving it the name 'Mummy'.

68magOwner
08-10-2006, 02:28 AM
I guess it works like a Tippman, so they say.
yeah, everything i have seen screams electrophenu tippman

Carbon
08-10-2006, 03:07 AM
as i undersdtand it is an inline popet valved gun. It makes me wonder why no one else has done this configuration and format.

pennywise
08-10-2006, 03:10 AM
as a tease it was wrapped in taped thus giving it the name 'Mummy'.
Thanks!

AGD
08-10-2006, 08:30 AM
Taking off from what Carbon said, it is probably an in line poppet valve where the hammer is air driven. This is not a new idea, I saw a fully developed prototype half a decade ago at the IAO. The kid came up with a very elegant in-line design that impressed me.

So yes it HAS been done before, so this begs the question, why havent we seen it? I told the guy the paintball world is litigating over patent rights and you are probably violating a few. He said his dad had a big lawyer working on getting it patented. Never heard from him again so my assumption is he figured out that the issues were too much to handle and backed out.

My comment is that this demonstrates how all this litigation is affecting the paintball world. Most people here think it is not having much effect but they dont see it from the inside like this case.

AGD

BigEvil
08-10-2006, 08:33 AM
The question is when and how will the legal BS end?

eNder159
08-10-2006, 08:37 AM
just shows that the industry is dwarfed not creating any competition...it just seems like the economic theories that ive learned are taking place. I hope one day somebody takes SP to court citing them creating a monopoly. Hopefully a judge will see that its not creating any type of growth for this industry while one or two companies are reaping all the benefits. Probably in a couple years itll happen..but for now just buy up all the cheap electros. lol

Lohman446
08-10-2006, 08:41 AM
just shows that the industry is dwarfed not creating any competition...it just seems like the economic theories that ive learned are taking place. I hope one day somebody takes SP to court citing them creating a monopoly. Hopefully a judge will see that its not creating any type of growth for this industry while one or two companies are reaping all the benefits. Probably in a couple years itll happen..but for now just buy up all the cheap electros. lol

:rofl: :rofl: You better go learn what the government considers and pursues as a monopoly.

eNder159
08-10-2006, 08:41 AM
:rofl: :rofl: You better go learn what the government considers and pursues as a monopoly.

=( i fail at life T_T

kenndogg
08-10-2006, 08:46 AM
Taking off from what Carbon said, it is probably an in line poppet valve where the hammer is air driven. This is not a new idea, I saw a fully developed prototype half a decade ago at the IAO. The kid came up with a very elegant in-line design that impressed me.

So yes it HAS been done before, so this begs the question, why havent we seen it? I told the guy the paintball world is litigating over patent rights and you are probably violating a few. He said his dad had a big lawyer working on getting it patented. Never heard from him again so my assumption is he figured out that the issues were too much to handle and backed out.

My comment is that this demonstrates how all this litigation is affecting the paintball world. Most people here think it is not having much effect but they dont see it from the inside like this case.

AGD

well looks like Bob Long is coughing up the dough so he can get the mummy into production.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1699027

SR_matt
08-10-2006, 09:27 AM
ok im way to tired to read teh whole thread but from reading how the parts are set and work it sounds like a ram operated tippman. maybe im thinking of the design wrong but thats what it seems to me
-matt

RRfireblade
08-10-2006, 09:40 AM
Sure , it's not technical break thru , what new marker ever is ? Besides , every design looks old , similar to something else and simple to do AFTER some one else does it , makes it work and get's it on the market.

In a nut shell:

It's a smaller , lighter , tighter spin on a Timmy...put in a package relative to an ION. Which just so happen to be two of the most popular style of paintball markers in the history of the game.

It will sell many thousands of units , even more aftermarket upgrades and make Bob an absolute ton of money.

Oh yeah , and thousnds of people are going to sell kidneys to get one.

So what was the problem with it again ?

;)

BigEvil
08-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Sure , it's not technical break thru , what new marker ever is ? Besides , every design looks old , similar to something else and simple to do AFTER some one else does it , makes it work and get's it on the market.

In a nut shell:

It's a smaller , lighter , tighter spin on a Timmy...put in a package relative to an ION. Which just so happen to be two of the most popular style of paintball markers in the history of the game.

It will sell many thousands of units , even more aftermarket upgrades and make Bob an absolute ton of money.

Oh yeah , and thousnds of people are going to sell kidneys to get one.

So what was the problem with it again ?

;)

Im glad im not the only one that gets it.

:cheers:

Lohman446
08-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Wow... I'm an impulse buyer. And I hate threads like this

minimag03
08-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Theyre saying it is not a spooler. And have repeated multiple times.

I guess it works like a Tippman, so they say.

Thats what I thought. Isn't this just a fast Tippmann? First he copied the Spyder..now the Tippmann.

NewbieMagMan10988
08-10-2006, 10:09 AM
I cant wait for all the ION vs. Mummy 2 Threads.....

Looks neat (like most guns), Shoots fast (like most guns).

Eh, ii still like pumps better :D .

Mike

Toll
08-10-2006, 10:10 AM
As far as I'm concerned...copying a tippmann is a step in the right direction. Lets hope it keeps some of the tippmann qualities.

ShotOnSight
08-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Iv'e been following the mummy from the begining

The original mummy marker wich was aimed at the mid-end price range ran into technical difficulties that culd not be worked around so Bob scraped the original project.

This is his attempt at another mid-end gun. Its single tube poppet design is unheard of, although some people will call it a super tippmann, wich in a sense it kinda is it is a very good marker. I personally dont like the stigma your going to get carying one around because it resembles an ion so much but it still looks nice.

Only time will tell what we can expect, alot of companys are starting to come out with mid-range guns because thats where the moneys at right now, dye is suposedly in the works of a mid-end marker as we speak. It was also wrapped in tape at the same field the mummy was being tested at. Of course thats only rumors as of right now but it really wouldnt surprise me if it where true.

:ninja:

warbeak2099
08-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Its single tube poppet design is unheard of, although some people will call it a super tippmann, wich in a sense it kinda is it is a very good marker.

Um, actually Tippmann and BSI put out the Ebolt kit to turn a Tippy into an inline, single tube poppet valve. It is most certainly not unheard of. I had one, it was ok. I'm sure BLAST will simply make it more refined, smoother. But it has been done.

ShotOnSight
08-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Sorry i meant unheard of in a mainstream tournament marker coming from the likes of somone like bob

Chronobreak
08-10-2006, 02:24 PM
well bob said the popet desighn is the best one,
so it must be true :ninja:

as RF said, what makes it ebtter than everythinga/nythingelse?

manike
08-10-2006, 02:37 PM
The original mummy marker wich was aimed at the mid-end price range ran into technical difficulties that culd not be worked around so Bob scraped the original project.

This isn't actually true. The gun was never intended to be mid range, no-one is sure how that idea/rumour started on the internet. The Mummy2 is just a development of the original Mummy design, but with some significant changes so he called the next prototype 'Mummy2'. Prototypes and developments usually go through many stages, it's just that Bob has been more open with his prototypes with this gun. An interesting strategy and many are wondering how well that will work out.

This is his attempt at another mid-end gun. Its single tube poppet design is unheard of, although some people will call it a super tippmann, wich in a sense it kinda is it is a very good marker. I personally dont like the stigma your going to get carying one around because it resembles an ion so much but it still looks nice.

Yes it is an inline poppet gun, but it's not really anything like a tippman inside. I helped him build the first working prototype before NPS and BLAST went their seperate directions and I still have some parts he left here. I won't tell you how it works inside, but it really is quite a bit different to anything I've seen before. It's an unusual approach to an inline poppet gun.

CKY_Alliance
08-10-2006, 02:52 PM
I saw something about dual eyes in that thread posted....what is the benefit of this? To me it seems like it would cause more trouble then its worth..unless one set is like a back-up set..i still see some flaws in that as well... I like the milling...but it looks rather wide...and needs a clamshell..i dont know i guess ill see if i like it when i shoot it.

Oh and 6 pods and a hopper off of 1200 psi... :eek: wow thats efficiency.

rkjunior303
08-10-2006, 02:54 PM
I guess the most important question is, is it Manike-approved? ;)

manike
08-10-2006, 02:57 PM
I guess the most important question is, is it Manike-approved? ;)

It's not one of my projects. I helped Bob assemble the first prototype and gave him a few ideas and some help, but haven't seen it or had anything else to do with it since NPS and Bob went their seperate ways. I don't have anything to do with it, but I do know how it works.

ShotOnSight
08-10-2006, 04:46 PM
This isn't actually true. The gun was never intended to be mid range, no-one is sure how that idea/rumour started on the internet. The Mummy2 is just a development of the original Mummy design, but with some significant changes so he called the next prototype 'Mummy2'. Prototypes and developments usually go through many stages, it's just that Bob has been more open with his prototypes with this gun. An interesting strategy and many are wondering how well that will work out.

Yes it is an inline poppet gun, but it's not really anything like a tippman inside. I helped him build the first working prototype before NPS and BLAST went their seperate directions and I still have some parts he left here. I won't tell you how it works inside, but it really is quite a bit different to anything I've seen before. It's an unusual approach to an inline poppet gun.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h293/shot-on-sight_photos/cleverrusewm3.gif

I think i should just stop posting now, lol thanks for the correction manike.

SCpoloRicker
08-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Dangit, innappropriate English Gentlemen Owls! :(

punkncat
08-10-2006, 05:58 PM
well bob said the popet desighn is the best one,
so it must be true :ninja:

Poppets are better. Less parts means less to break, simpler, more efficent.

Army
08-10-2006, 06:13 PM
So.......Bob is done "improving" the Spyder, and has begun "improving" the Tippy.

All in all....it's another poppet valved slam fire marker in a DM5 wanna-be skin. Right?

This is an advancement?

topazpaintball
08-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Is that a techno remix of Barber's Adagio...?

RRfireblade
08-10-2006, 07:09 PM
So.......Bob is done "improving" the Spyder, and has begun "improving" the Tippy.

All in all....it's another poppet valved slam fire marker in a DM5 wanna-be skin. Right?

This is an advancement?

I don't see where it even remotely resembles a DM..... anything. :rolleyes:

And if a Timmy is just an improved spyder than I guess a Mag is just an improved bottle of cheap cham pain ya. :D

IMO , this marker is about as close to a Tippy as a Ford is to Chevy I guess , since they both use combustion engines.

;)

p8ntball72
08-10-2006, 07:27 PM
PBN kids are so funny..
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/Crazyic3/mumion.jpg

CrimsonGhost
08-10-2006, 08:05 PM
I don't see where it even remotely resembles a DM..... anything. :rolleyes:

And if a Timmy is just an improved spyder than I guess a Mag is just an improved bottle of cheap cham pain ya. :D

IMO , this marker is about as close to a Tippy as a Ford is to Chevy I guess , since they both use combustion engines.

;)

I laughed...thanks RR. :cheers:

lather
08-11-2006, 06:05 AM
Since when does dual eyes mean 4? :confused:

SR_matt
08-11-2006, 08:46 AM
if its dual break beam eyes maybe?

why do we need 2 sets of eyes, i mean seriously
-matt

mag_lover05
08-11-2006, 01:19 PM
its gona be in the 1,000 range. nothing "new". woopdy freakin do.

lather
08-11-2006, 02:44 PM
if its dual break beam eyes maybe?

why do we need 2 sets of eyes, i mean seriously
-matt

Thats what I mean, dual break beam eyes means 2 eyes total, like every other eye'd gun.

nicad
08-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Oh and 6 pods and a hopper off of 1200 psi... :eek: wow thats efficiency.1600psi in a..... 80cf scuba tank maybe?? :p

CKY_Alliance
08-11-2006, 10:00 PM
1600psi in a..... 80cf scuba tank maybe?? :p
Ye i mean thats a little out there, thats what that guy claimed in one of his post..that the guy using the mummy said the gun got 6 pods and a hopper off a 1200 psi fill with a 68ci tank....i find that a little unbeleviable but if somehow true FTW!!

And anyone have any reasoning for the dual eyes? Assuming it actually has them.

nippinout
08-12-2006, 02:32 AM
Ye i mean thats a little out there, thats what that guy claimed in one of his post..that the guy using the mummy said the gun got 6 pods and a hopper off a 1200 psi fill with a 68ci tank....i find that a little unbeleviable but if somehow true FTW!!

And anyone have any reasoning for the dual eyes? Assuming it actually has them.

That works out to be about 97in-lb per ball. Not at 300fps.

nicad
08-12-2006, 03:07 AM
Thanks nipp- was just going to post the same thing... except I am getting 80 in-lb.

pods: 140balls x 6 + Hopper: 180balls
= 1020balls
1200psi x 68 = 81600
81600 / 1020 = 80

and that is shooting the tank down to 0psi.

so aprox adjusted numbers: 1200psi - 200(??or whatever it runs at??)psi = 1000psi
which comes out to 66in-lb, or about HALF the amount of energy needed to get a ball up to 300fps if converting energy at 100% efficiency.

Impressive claims are one thing.
BS claims only kill one's credibility.

Sorry Mr 6pods and a hopper, numbers win again! :cry:

Bolter
08-12-2006, 07:03 AM
New video of it on pbstar. Claim that in testing they shot it at 31 bps and thats the fastest in the World.

They obviously havent spoken to Zman and his RT :)

Looks nice though, I'd like to try it.

SR_matt
08-12-2006, 08:24 AM
it wouldnt be as hard to believe if it took 1200 psi off of a 4500 fill but that is still uber effiecnt
-matt

AGDRetro
08-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Is it really dual break-beam eyes or is it one set of break beam with a reflective eye on the bottom of the breech like the X-Mag?

p8ntball72
08-12-2006, 02:27 PM
http://media.paintballstar.com/moviesdl/pspsocal06/psp-socal-zackphilly.wmv

Lohman446
08-12-2006, 02:33 PM
it wouldnt be as hard to believe if it took 1200 psi off of a 4500 fill but that is still uber effiecnt
-matt

Why would it make any difference?

Chronobreak
08-12-2006, 02:40 PM
4 eyes?..seems more than redundant

oh and more info missed from the vid

all parts are doubled, it has two of everything,..so when the first one fails you have a built in replacement :D

p8ntball72
08-12-2006, 02:48 PM
I love the "31 over the pac, fastest known to man"

CKY_Alliance
08-12-2006, 03:25 PM
hmm it looks good..besides the slight ion look...overall shape of the body is slightly ionish...ill prolly stick with my matrix.

I wanna get my hands on one to see how it works for myself...

SR_matt
08-12-2006, 11:52 PM
Why would it make any difference?
becasue going from 4500-3300 is more air than going from 1200-0. i cant remember the reasoning and the math behind it right now but i remember that it works out.

-matt

Dark-Adrenaline
08-13-2006, 11:52 AM
This marker sounds great but it kinda blows that itll be in the $1000 price range for a base model. The crazy amount of price goudging paintball companies do to the consumer is insane.