PDA

View Full Version : pump mag shooting semi!!!!

robbieisurfriend
08-12-2006, 01:58 PM
i just got my hands on a pump mag and i am having problems with it sometimes shooting semi auto. I tried stretching the wave spring ever so slightly and it doesnt seem to help. It is strange because sometimes it works just like it should and other times it will shoot semi auto for quite a while. Sometimes it will wait a few seconds to cock itself and other times it is truly semi auto. I am wondering if i need shims or a new wave spring or if something just needs adjusted. I havent chronoed it so it could be shooting hot which i guess would cause the bolt to blow forward harder and the spring to push it back harder. Im not sure what to do, this is my first mag and i am still learning about it.

robbieisurfriend
08-13-2006, 11:17 AM
hmm, nobody has an idea.

K Wolf
08-13-2006, 12:09 PM
You have a good idea about chronoing your marker. It would be a good idea even if you were not having a problem. Wave springs do eventually fatigue and fail (especially if the marker is stored in the cocked position). You may need to replace the wave spring. Stretching a worn out spring is a temporary fix at best. If all else is good, and you still have the problem, look for excessive wear between the bolt and sear (not really likely, unless someone gave the mag a "trigger job").

Good luck,
Karl

Walrus
08-13-2006, 02:11 PM
well, first off I could have sold you a better working pump mag ;)

Secondly, the bumper that works in conjunction with the wave spring is no different in thickness than the stock blue bumper on classic valves. Generally, people willl just cut down the blue bumper to fit inside of the wave spring and that will take care of that.

The way the pump mag will work is off bolt stick. If the wave spring is worn out and not causing bolt stick, then you have found your problem. You should also check the bumber to see if it is worn out. The bumper does help to cushion the returning bolt. Lastly there is a spacer that is to be used in the power tube. It may be that you have the incorrect spacer, but not likely. Other than those, make sure you have lubed the bolt stem and down the power tube.

Walrus

flyingpootang
08-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Walrus, I sold Robert my pumpmag. He found a post that I listed my pumpmag as a possible trade to another AO member. He contacted me directly, but the orignal deal was not fesible for me, so then I reffered him to you, but I guess that deal fell through, so he worked out a deal with me. The Pumpmag worked when it left my door and the velocity was high. As you mentioned the wave spring dose wear in the fire position as well constant compression just being installed behind the bolt. I think my integrity speaks for it self and having pump kit installed over a unkown amount of years will cause wear on the springs. I take no offence in your post and know you are one of the outstanding members here on AO. We all appreciate your input, but just know my integrity is important to me as it is for you.... :cheers:

pump
08-13-2006, 05:50 PM
so im assumeing the wave spring and bumper keep the bolt sticking....but if it still shoots in semi your not getting proper bolt stick......Power tube spacer??????

robbieisurfriend
08-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Walrus, I sold Robert my pumpmag. He found a post that I listed my pumpmag as a possible trade to another AO member. He contacted me directly, but the orignal deal was not fesible for me, so then I reffered him to you, but I guess that deal fell through, so he worked out a deal with me. The Pumpmag worked when it left my door and the velocity was high. As you mentioned the wave spring dose wear in the fire position as well constant compression just being installed behind the bolt. I think my integrity speaks for it self and having pump kit installed over a unkown amount of years will cause wear on the springs. I take no offence in your post and know you are one of the outstanding members here on AO. We all appreciate your input, but just know my integrity is important to me as it is for you.... :cheers:
it is a working pump mag and flyingpootang is a GREAT seller. I fixed it today at the field by swapping the mainspring with a buddies. The wave spring had alot of wear and it somehow made it much stiffer and it was able to recock the gun after i put a hundred shots thru it. With a new mainspring it is shooting great. If i have another problem with it i will just use powertube shims. I learned alot today from my mag-loving friend. The high velocity diddnt help much either. It was shooting 365ish and is now at 265. Shoots great with a different barrel and a few small adjustments (stock class feed). Thanks alot guys (especially flyingpootang).

Walrus
08-20-2006, 06:28 PM
Sorry to bring this back up, but I didn't mean to offend robbie or flyingpootang. I was merely joking when I said I could have sold you a better one and I didn't mean anything against the Pump Mag you purchased. It was all in jest, so I hope I didn't upset anyone. You are both great guys to work with and to trade with.

flyingpootang
08-21-2006, 12:58 AM
Walrus, Cool that what I thought it was, but I wasn't 100% shure. No offense taken on my part. Your still on of my AO brothers :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: ...

Walrus
08-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks Bro :cheers: