PDA

View Full Version : Throat Mic Info

Madmarx
08-14-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm thinking of getting some thoat mics.
Anyone have any info on these?
Are they any good?
Are there any suggested brands that work better than others?
Where's the best place to buy?

Any help would be great.
Thanks

StygShore
08-14-2006, 06:55 PM
DO NOT use the voice activated feature on them. The paintball guns set them off and you cant hear jack on the channel.

IF you use push to talk, get ones with at least a 5 mile range you should be OK. The 2-2.5 mile ones will work in a really small field, but like most things, 2 miles is a bit of an exaggeration unless you are sitting on a 2 mile airport runway with no obstructions.

Styg

sTaLa
08-14-2006, 09:10 PM
I think he was more talking about the microphone than the radio itself.

I wanted to buy one, so I searched. And I ended up knowing that most of the customers who had tested throat mics were not completly satisfied with them. For exemple, they will not reproduce the sound you make with your lips like "b" or "p".

If I wanted good quality, I had to pay a really high price; so I just bought a Motorola Push to talk microphone on ebay for 8 $. They sell them 30 $ at my local shop. And it does its job really well, anyone can hear me whisper and the sound quality is good. The best way is to find a way to fit it ON you mask so it won't be uncomfortable after a whole day sittin on you ear.

VFX_Fenix
08-14-2006, 09:33 PM
I've messed with some throat mics and honestly can't say they're super, they do have some distortion/clarity problems.

Dryden
08-14-2006, 09:57 PM
We've used the Fire Fox (http://firefoxtechnologies.zoovy.com/) mics for a couple of years with Motorola Talkabouts. I've been very happy with mine. The Commando Edition (http://firefoxtechnologies.zoovy.com/product/ff-c) with the sound tube sounds better and is more comfortable under head gear than the cheaper models that use earbuds. The throat collar takes some getting used to, but you can talk to teammates without having to raise your voice above a whisper.

Evil Bob
08-14-2006, 10:19 PM
The command edition suffers from a very thin wire that goes to the ear piece, seen quite a few of those broken from usage, its a thin wire 1/2 inch long that ends in the speaker box that in turns goes to the ear tube, its clear in the pics. The problem is that the speaker unit gets hung up on gear and causes the wire breakage.

A better version can be found here at http://www.clearercom.com/stryker.htm, the Stryker model. Its twoce the price of the Fire Fox model, but much better built.

The Stryker fits the throat better as well where the FF Commando tends to slide around. The Stryker has 2 condensor mics where the Commando has only 1.

The Stryker is a better designed product all around.

-Evil Bob

RogueFactor
08-15-2006, 03:11 PM
The command edition suffers from a very thin wire that goes to the ear piece, seen quite a few of those broken from usage, its a thin wire 1/2 inch long that ends in the speaker box that in turns goes to the ear tube, its clear in the pics. The problem is that the speaker unit gets hung up on gear and causes the wire breakage.

A better version can be found here at http://www.clearercom.com/stryker.htm, the Stryker model. Its twoce the price of the Fire Fox model, but much better built.

The Stryker fits the throat better as well where the FF Commando tends to slide around. The Stryker has 2 condensor mics where the Commando has only 1.

The Stryker is a better designed product all around.

-Evil Bob

Is that the best one youve found? Have you used it? If you have, do you have any reviews?

Evil Bob
08-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Rogue...

The best i've ever used was in the military, 100% water proof hard core construction... the Stryker comes very close to that, for its price, hands down my choice in over the counter voice gear. Better can be had for much higher prices, but for what we're using it for, this fits the bill perfectly.

I bought 4 of the FF Commandos a couple years ago, they lasted 3-6 months total with my kids and myself using them, they've all be replaced with the Stryker.

1) Sound box... FF's is dangling off of the thin wire (which broke on all 4 commandos I had), my kids are pretty rough on their gear. Stryker's is built into the neck piece, its not going anywhere and its sound quality is better.

2) Neck piece... FF's has a single condensor mic and a one size fits all construction. The problem with that is there are alot higher concentration of fat bodies in our sport, guys I've lent the gear to complained that the neck piece rotates on them when they're sweaty and it moves the condensor off of their adam's apple which lead to us having a hard time hearing them, we could hear the xmit go over the freq, but didn't hear any sound. The Stryker doesn't move and it has 2 condensor mics that fit on each side of your adam's apple, superior voice pickup. If you're a big boy either fat or muscled, you're going to want to go with the stryker.

3) Price... The Stryker is $100 (lite version is $69), the Commando is $50. If you only play once a year casually, go for the commando, if you play all the time, go with the stryker.

-Evil Bob

RogueFactor
08-15-2006, 11:32 PM
3) Price... The Stryker is $100 (lite version is $69), the Commando is $50. If you only play once a year casually, go for the commando, if you play all the time, go with the stryker.

-Evil Bob

Thanks for the answers. One more question... Whats the difference between the stryker and the stryker lite?

Madmarx
08-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the answers. One more question... Whats the difference between the stryker and the stryker lite?

Same question as rogue.
Lite?
Anyone know if we could get a deal on these with a multi order?

Evil Bob
08-16-2006, 11:06 PM
I haven't seen the Lite personally, but from the pics the PTT is smaller on the Lite. I like the big button, easy to hit as it fits flat against your body. The Lite is much like the PTT on older Motorola ear phones where it rolls around and is hard to hit in a pinch when you need it most.

-Evil Bob