PDA

View Full Version : Bring a computer illiterate up to speed

punkncat
08-14-2006, 07:12 PM
My daughter needs powerpoint for one of her classes. I haven't got it on any of my newer computers. I do have a version on one of my computers, but every time I attempt to open it it tells me my configuration has changed and it needs to be re-registereed. Given that I have never used it, don't kow how to use it, or even what its for...I haven't got a registration code for it. Heck I have no idea how I even got it in the first place.

Second problem is that when I plug the usb memory stick (jump drive) in on that computer it tells me I have plugged a high speed device into a low speed port. Then it tells me I need a driver or somesuch thing....????

Can anyone help bring me up to speed on this?

Thanks ahead of time.

maxama10
08-14-2006, 07:19 PM
*Open up window
*Grab computer
*throw out window
*drive to store and purchase Macintosh G5
Double Edit: *buy MacPro instead ;)

kidding

eh go to the website of your memory stick manufacturer and download the latest driver for the model you have and for the operating system you have on that computer.

as to powerpoint ehh sorry.

Edit: Your memory stick is probably usb 2.0 highspeed and the computers usb ports are most likely USB 1.0 just because its older.....

robnix
08-14-2006, 09:01 PM
My daughter needs powerpoint for one of her classes. I haven't got it on any of my newer computers. I do have a version on one of my computers, but every time I attempt to open it it tells me my configuration has changed and it needs to be re-registereed. Given that I have never used it, don't kow how to use it, or even what its for...I haven't got a registration code for it. Heck I have no idea how I even got it in the first place.

Second problem is that when I plug the usb memory stick (jump drive) in on that computer it tells me I have plugged a high speed device into a low speed port. Then it tells me I need a driver or somesuch thing....????

Can anyone help bring me up to speed on this?

Thanks ahead of time.

You have a version of Office that most likely came with the PC you bought. There's a (I think) 45 use trial on it before you have authorize the copy with MS. If you don't have the key, call the PC manufacturer to see if they can help.

If that doesn't get it, then you can get a free office suite here:

http://www.openoffice.org

It has presentation software that will let your daughter save file in the powerpoint format.

USB -

1) You have an older PC that only has USB 1.1 ports, and you're plugging in a USB 2.0 memory stick.

or

2) You haven't installed the chipset drivers, windows is using a basic driver that only gives you partial functionality.

WaffleBaron
08-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Open office Impress is great, but powerpoint can sometimes be finnicky (atleast the version I have did it) about opening the files even if saved as a ppt just to let you know if it says you can't open it.

Hexis
08-14-2006, 09:24 PM
*drive to store and purchase Macintosh G5

That's crazy talk. Clearly he would want an Intel based Mac these days. They run Powerpoint just fine.

maxama10
08-14-2006, 09:34 PM
That's crazy talk. Clearly he would want an Intel based Mac these days. They run Powerpoint just fine.

Heh, I thought with the latest G5's they switched from PowerPC to Intel.... I guess they replaced the G5 with the MacPro though. Blah, Always something new! (cant complain though right?)

Hexis
08-15-2006, 07:41 AM
G5 is the chip, so it was in a lot of the product names. Since the G5 is now gone, so is the name.

slade
08-18-2006, 09:40 PM
http://www.openoffice.org
QFT.