PDA

View Full Version : Make your own Emag replacement battery?

Pneumagger
08-15-2006, 09:53 PM
I've been inspecting my new emag, and have been looking at the battery alot. These sucers are expensive to replace. I'm not suer this has been proposed, but why not male your own replacement batterys brand new for about $40? :confused:

All the emag battery is, it is 14 AAA generic 650mAH NiMH Cells heat wrapped together with the plastic terminals on top. So why not go online and buy a small box of 14 or so 1000mAH AAA Generic NiMH Cells and wire them is series together then connect them to the emag battery terminal cap?

Depending on which voltage you use to measure the battery voltage - maximum nominal or actual average: This gives you a max nom voltage of 21V (same as an Emag battery measured with a voltometer straight off the charger) or the actual average charge of 16.8V (surprise, surprise the emag battery rating). But more importantly this gives you 1000mAH - about %50 more charge carry capacity :wow: This means less recharges and longer battery lifetime charge retention.

Or am I missing something here? Or is this not some kind of revelation? :confused:

16 AAA 1000mAH NiMH Batteries (http://www.onlybatteries.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=14043.63)

psychowarden
08-15-2006, 10:17 PM
I know that you can, a local tech told me that he had one made for his X-mag before he sold it. I just dont know how.

Pneumagger
08-15-2006, 10:20 PM
14 AAA NiMH batteries of a good capacity wired in SERIES!!!! Then connect them to the respective terminals. Easy Peazy lemon squeezy. Some NiMH AAA batteries are rated for 1000+ charges in addition to having a higher chrage capacity.

psychowarden
08-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Well, as long as it comes out to the same shape, I dont think that there would be an issue.

Chronobreak
08-16-2006, 10:36 AM
ive seen an e-mag run off two d-cells

think ptp made the mod

also seen two 9 vlts if i recall

Pneumagger
08-16-2006, 11:13 AM
2 9 volts is possible, but would provide about half the life of the AGD batterypack.
Those D cells puts out like 3volts :confused: you would need a small step up transformer and even then it wouldn't get many shots or a great recharge.

I'm just talking about replacing the $80 stock battery with a $40 better battery pack.

robnix
08-16-2006, 11:23 AM
2 9 volts is possible, but would provide about half the life of the AGD batterypack.
Those D cells puts out like 3volts :confused: you would need a small step up transformer and even then it wouldn't get many shots or a great recharge.

I'm just talking about replacing the $80 stock battery with a $40 better battery pack.

Half the standard emag life is still fine. For me it's the weight that I'd like to see reduced.

Chronobreak
08-16-2006, 11:25 AM
but wouldnt 14 aaa's still take up significantly more space, and possibly weigh more as well?

i got 14 infront of me, and in any configuration i cant see it looking good or fitting on the gun anywhere without looking more awkward than the stock part

Pneumagger
08-16-2006, 12:37 PM
:confused:

All the emag battery is 14 650mAH AAA sized industrial generic Cells wired in series and shrinkwrapped in a shape. So if you get 14 same size NiMH batteries with say a 1000mAH rating, then you get about %50 more life with the same weight, same size, for cheaper!

Plus, because the battery last longer, yu charge it less and it gets replaced less.

If you wanted, 2 volts, you would be lighter, but you cut the capacity of the batteries in half, as 2 9's in series would only give about 350-400mHA

StygShore
08-16-2006, 12:39 PM
Do a search online you can actually buy the AAA NIHM rechargeables without the button top designed to be wired together. ( usually referred to as Loose Cell )

I have been doing a lot of checking on this, and have had a couple companies come back with a quote of about 45.00 to make the packs for me. they want me to send a pack in to them so they can duplicate it and verify the quote though.

Now that I have my pack back, and I am waiting on anodizing and laser engraving to get done, I can probably send mine off and get some quotes from anyone that is interested.

Styg

Pneumagger
08-16-2006, 12:58 PM
have them put 950mAH or 1000mAH cells in FTW :headbang:

No point in paying half the cost of an emag battery if you're not gettin over %50 more charge....wait-a-minute ;)

StygShore
08-16-2006, 01:47 PM
What about stacking 2 of these in there?

http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=10638.9

Would they fit?

Styg

I sent a request to a couple companies today, I will see if any respond.

StygShore
08-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Anyone know the amp draw on an E-mag?

any other technical info about the battery would be appreciated

Thanks

Styg

Jaan
08-16-2006, 09:37 PM
Just like anything else, making a replacement battery pack is really easy if you know how to do it and have the right tools.

I make battery packs like this all the time. When I say all the time, I mean thousands and thousands over the past few years. What you really need is a spot welder. Once you have the spot welder then you can just buy industrial bulk cells and weld them together.

Unfortunately spot welders cost money ... and that's where most people stop.

StygShore
08-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Which would be why I am contacting the people with the right tools and supplies to make such a thing....

If you have the knowledge, but lack the materials and tools you must:

A:- purchase said materials and tools,
or
B:- work out a deal with someone who has said materials and tools

cyrus-the-virus
08-16-2006, 11:12 PM
If you get it working right I'll take one....

or i'll make one myself if someone could show me how.

EDIT: I'm dumb...

Jaan
08-17-2006, 12:30 AM
Which would be why I am contacting the people with the right tools and supplies to make such a thing....

If you have the knowledge, but lack the materials and tools you must:

A:- purchase said materials and tools,
or
B:- work out a deal with someone who has said materials and tools

or

C:- Buy a battery pack that's already been manufactured for your specific application and is ready to ship right now.