PDA

View Full Version : Linux and Windows on the same Machine.

Maggot6
08-17-2006, 06:54 AM
Alright, so I have "windows XP home Edition" installed on my Acer Aspire 5000 from the factory, I decided that I wanted to try out Linux for a while, see if I would make the permanent switch or just have both on my machine. So I went and got a Kubuntu / Ubuntu install disk and set it up. Linux runs just fine, exactly how it should. The computer doesn't grind or take un neccisarily long times for anything. However, Windows is not less responsive, the cooling fan is going like CRAZY ALL the time, and I have no idea as to why. Any computer savvy person have a clue as to how to make windows nice again?

Thanks.

quasimorte
08-17-2006, 09:08 AM
If you had windows installed first it sometimes does not like to play nice with losing the space you commited to linux. if you can un install everything and install linux first. then install windows behind it on a partition further into the drive. if not get a copy of something like knoppix and run it from a disc untill you decide to switch.

robnix
08-17-2006, 09:52 AM
If you had windows installed first it sometimes does not like to play nice with losing the space you commited to linux. if you can un install everything and install linux first. then install windows behind it on a partition further into the drive. if not get a copy of something like knoppix and run it from a disc untill you decide to switch.

You have to install Windows first. Windows has this nasty habit of overwriting the Master Boot Record with the Windows Boot Loader, and will not add boot any other operating systems. Linux distributions will recognize that there are other operating systems installed and add them to the boot list when they install their boot loader.

I've given up Windows and run Kubuntu for my daily work and play now.

http://www.kubuntu.org

WaffleBaron
08-17-2006, 10:49 AM
If you can find a copy of VMware you can just install windows normally on the drive leaving space for a linux distro on a partition. When windows is running well, install Linux on the other partition and access it through windows via VMware. Its not a true dual boot but it lets you directly compare features and apps as you can window the linux OS inside of windows.

robnix
08-17-2006, 10:59 AM
If you can find a copy of VMware you can just install windows normally on the drive leaving space for a linux distro on a partition. When windows is running well, install Linux on the other partition and access it through windows via VMware. Its not a true dual boot but it lets you directly compare features and apps as you can window the linux OS inside of windows.

VMware Player is free. So you can just grab the 30 trial of VMWare, set up the virtual machine, then use the player after that.

behemoth
08-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Just get rid of windows..

We have WINE now... :)

FEDORA CORE FTW.