PDA

View Full Version : For anyone that knows something about the law

Dude
12-25-2001, 05:43 PM
Recently the the police in D.C have been putting camaras in unmanned civilian cars on roads all over the city and both my parents have each gotten about $300 in tickets (three tickets each), which raise there car insurance premiums and give them points on there licensces. All of the tickets are from one of these cars that is on a steep hill with a speed limit of 25 miles per hour. The street is wide and deserted at seven in the morning so we usually go about 35-45mph past the police car with the camara.
My parents find the situation to be unfair and want to find a legal way to fight back, because arguing with the police over the phone did not work. We have an extra car on most days of the week and I want to know if it would be legal to park it every day right in front of the police car, thus blocking out the vision of the camara. That or put up signs in up the street from the car saying that the car is there and it will ticket you if you do not slow your car down. Are either of these solutions legal, and if they are not what might a different solution and completely legal solution be?

Arman/XPM
12-25-2001, 06:11 PM
Hello Dude,
No offense, but laws are there for a reason. They are there to protect you. If they didnt do this, then everyone would be breaking the law. I know this is not what you want to hear, but laws are laws.

shartley
12-25-2001, 06:57 PM
Dude
The easy thing for me to say is to just pay the ticket, and slow down when you drive (or your parents.. as this case is). This type of thing is quite common, and is legal.

Both the speed limits are well posted (after all *you* knew them), and you and your parents know it is a highly enforced area. How many times do they need to get a ticket to get it in their heads to *slow down* and obey the posted speed limits?

Also, if you have a speed trap in your town, calling the police is not the correct way to address the issue anyway. Police *enforce* laws, not make them. Also, for many activities conducted by Police Officers and Departments, they must get approval... and many times they are *told* to do it. So, you would be better advised to contact your local Government Officials and asking them what the status and actual situation is. And as Arman/XPM stated, the laws are there for a reason, and it seems that safety would cover this situation very well.

And *do not* park your car in front of the camera(s). More than likely (depending on the zoning) you will be violating simple parking codes (then be towed and pay additional fines), but more seriously you will be interfering with Law Enforcement in the process of conducting their jobs.... this *is* illegal.

Also, there is no legal obligation to post an additional sign stating you will be ticketed if you speed... hello... that is what a speed limit sign is for. ;)

But for future reference, you can save your breath and time by *not* confronting the Police Officer(s) or Department(s) directly on any similar situations. If you do not like a law, or something that is happening directly regarding things of this nature, I suggest contacting your Local Government Officials. They can look into the matter for you, and more than likely already know about it. You can even get things like speed limits, parking zoning, traffic signs/signals, etc. changed if they are truly wrong, unneeded, needed, or whatever.

You just need to learn the proper people to contact and the correct process to follow. Feel free to contact your local City Hall and they will give you all the information you need. That is easier than me (or anyone else) explaining it all in detail here on a Paintball Forum. ;)

And believe it or not, many times Police Officers and Departments are made to enforce Laws, Regulations, and Statutes that *they* think are stupid or unneeded as well. But it is their *job* to do so... so you may want to cut them a bit of slack. ;)

But again, I would (in this case) suggest paying the tickets, or going to court and fighting them (although they sound pretty valid), and slowing down from now on.

I hope this helps out in some way.

Army
12-25-2001, 06:58 PM
The speed limits are set by city/county/state roads or highway services dept., not the police. The roads people evaluate the traffic levels, year 'round road conditions, oncoming of crossing traffic, and level of conveinience the road/street/highway provides. This is all balanced by safety measures needed to keep the traffic flowing and users safe at all times.

The unmarked car is on city property, set there by city employees, and is being used by the city law enforcement agency. Any other car you park there will be towed quickly off the city property, and any sign you mount will be subject to fines according to vandalism laws.

I know it is a temptation to zip along early in the morning while you can see no other headlights, but the roads people have already determined that anything more than the posted limit, is too dangerous for YOU and any other vehicle.

*sidenote* if you time it, you'll find that you are only saving a few seconds to a couple minutes anyway. Be safe instead and follow the law.

Zumina
12-25-2001, 07:59 PM
The car must be there for a reason. The same thing is going down in my town. Why? Because someone was exceeding the speed limit by 20 mph while cresting a hill. To him, his speed was justifiable as there were no other cars in sight. However, he was not counting on a mother with her two twin infants (in one of those jogger/stroller deals) running on the side of the road. Suffice to say, he came roaring over the top of the hill, and hit her. The mother and the two children were killed and the community was outraged. So, there is now a decoy/camera car parked at the bottom of said hill, and the fines have been doubled. Mebbe you should research why the cars are there instead of complaining about them. I knew that woman and those kids.

bornl33t
12-25-2001, 10:48 PM
trust me on this one... when you try to fight the govenment you'll only loose and fall hard too! Just pay it and drive normal, ignorance is not an excuse to break the law.

I got nailed doing 29 in a 25 and tried to fight it... in the end I DID break the law and the cop WAS an jerk and so I ended up paying more.

best thing to do is get a stick that says to donated to a police fund of some sort and wave at the cops.

udtseal
12-25-2001, 11:00 PM
$
$$
$$$
$$$$
$$$$$
$$$$$$
$$$$$$$
$$$$
$$$$
$$$$
$$$$

WHAT THEY SAID!!! :D :p

Failure
12-25-2001, 11:04 PM
well, I have always talked to the prosecutor in my traffic offenses and usually come off paying a higher fine w/o the points. My driving record is as vast as the sahara desert so I have a little experience. I could say that I've helped buy some police cars in my town.
Look, seriously, by going 10 mph over the speed limit you only reach your destination 2 minutes earlier max. You need to ask yourself if it is worth it. These days, after seeing how absolutely senseless it is to speed in town, I wouldn't. After the first time that they got a ticket for this they should have learned. There is a saying for this situation.
"Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me"
If your parents haven't learned in all their years that speeding will get you in trouble then I don't know what to tell you. Try a different route =)
Pin the cruise control at 24mph so you are guaranteed no tickets.

Restola
12-26-2001, 01:48 AM
i love when people complain about situations like that. "the police are now catching me break a law, can i fight them in court?"

joeyjoe367
12-26-2001, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by Army
*sidenote* if you time it, you'll find that you are only saving a few seconds to a couple minutes anyway. Be safe instead and follow the law.

I always like to say, "It's better to get there a bit later than it is to not get there at all (Car Accident)"

Thordic
12-26-2001, 11:01 AM
Most cruise controls only kick in over 30 mph... I know all three cars at my house are like that, anyway.

It's one thing to speed on a highway. On a highway, you are less likely to encounter sudden stops, sudden turns, pedestrians, or any number of other dangerous instances. I speed on the highway regularly. On most highways in NJ, the traffic flows at a solid 10 mph+ over the speed limit (There are days when 90% of the cars are doing 80+ in a 55, and you don't get pulled over until you are doing 90+). Not saying that its a good thing, but I do it and I couldn't tell anyone who sped on the highway not to, because I'd just be contradicting myself.

One thing I DON'T do, however, is speed on normal roads. If the sign says 25, do 25. It says 35, do 35. Sometimes you can creed up to 33 or so in a 25, but pay attention, and slow down if you get above, and don't just say "Oh, no one will care anyway".

I don't have any pity for people who get speeding tickets. I've gotten 1, and been pulled over quite a few other times and been let off with warnings and/or lesser offences. (IE, the old no-seatbelt trick). You do the crime, you pay the fine :)

Anyway, tell your parents to either stop speeding or deal with the tickets. The police are just doing thier jobs. When I was in high school I pulled a summer laying asphalt patches for the town. I know what its like to have people getting mad at you for doing your job. People always get pissed off at road department people, it sucked :)

Restola
12-26-2001, 09:55 PM
I know what its like to have people getting mad at you for doing your job.
i feel your pain. imagine explaining someone's horrible credit to them on christmas eve.

edweird
12-27-2001, 03:03 AM
Why complain about this when you can have so much fun with it??? My suggestion is to find out were one of these speed traps are and set up two picnic sites before and after the speed trap. At the first one have a sign warning oncoming traffic and at the second one have a sign appreciating "donations to your "beat the cops at their own game" picnic". This should help with your beer runs...

Stupid Idea I know, but people actually go cow tipping and I got the rock salt scars to prove it!