PDA

View Full Version : International Scout (suv)

maxama10
08-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Well Ive seen this Yellow Scout Traveller sitting on the side of the road for the past year. So yesterday i stopped and talked to the guy about it. He put a new transmission in it and it has 10000 miles on it. He told me all that is wrong is that it has a busted fuel line. He wants 1800 for it. I told him thanks anyways, I dont have that. Ha. (Im 16). So he said well lets make a deal. Hes old, late 60's, and is putting up a metal building (one of those prefabricated arch types. Hes had the Scout for a long timme sitting out there and he has little money. Also, he thinks im in need of a vehicle, I have the jeep...I didnt correct him :-/ So he told me that if I help him 10 hrs a day for hopefully 4 days we can have the building done and that he will sign the title over to me. So what do you guys think? Good deal, bad deal? What do you guys think about the scouts? Seems good to me.

Thanks,
-Max

hgp3fat
08-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Sounds like an awesome project vehicle, and if you can get it by manual labor... go for it.

Be prepared to put some money into it. Anything that's been sitting up for a while will need tires for sure. You can get bulk fuel line and fix the leak, but the carb might have to be rebuilt, and I'll bet you'll have a challenge finding parts.

Any bushings in the suspension will probably need to be replaced, the fuel tank probably needs cleaning out, tune up... like I said a good project.

You can't go wrong with the boxy shape either... of course I'm biased to boxy, I've got a TJ...uh...a Wrangler.

maxama10
08-17-2006, 07:31 PM
I've got a TJ...uh...a Wrangler.
Heh, me too. 06 unlimited. you? ive got a picture of mine in a thread here. Just look under this one a ways down.

hgp3fat
08-17-2006, 07:42 PM
16... and you've got an 06 Unlimited...

Mine is a 97, but I work at a dealership so I get great deals and great finds all the time. I've got new bumpers off an 05, mirrors off an 06, my soft top is from an 05, wheels off an 06 Sport, running 30x9.5x15 Pirelli Scorpions... great in the Florida sand, but still smooth on the road.

Can't wait to get some of the 07's in at work... but not happy with the loss of the 4.0 inline to the 3.8 V6 minivan engine. It's got more horses and better gas mileage, but come on, it's used in the minivans!

punkncat
08-17-2006, 09:05 PM
The International Scout is a great old truck. You can't go wrong getting that for some sweat. The old fellow will probably teach you a thing or two as well.

Lohman446
08-17-2006, 09:29 PM
The International scout, properly maintained, may very well be the ultimate off road vehicle. Its short wheel base and good power to weight ratio put it places only a select few others can get

Now the downside. See the term properly maintained. Scout parts are available, but tend to be towards the pricey side when compared to say, a Wrangler. Look out at the number of Wranglers out there, the year range of them, and the interchangeability of many parts to the rest of the Jeep line. You obviously do not have this with the Scout. On the plus side it is a fairly simplistic vehicle from the mechanical sense and you should not have a problem finding someone who can figure out how they work,

maxama10
08-17-2006, 10:54 PM
The International scout, properly maintained, may very well be the ultimate off road vehicle. Its short wheel base and good power to weight ratio put it places only a select few others can get

Now the downside. See the term properly maintained. Scout parts are available, but tend to be towards the pricey side when compared to say, a Wrangler. Look out at the number of Wranglers out there, the year range of them, and the interchangeability of many parts to the rest of the Jeep line. You obviously do not have this with the Scout. On the plus side it is a fairly simplistic vehicle from the mechanical sense and you should not have a problem finding someone who can figure out how they work,
Id still like to catch ya on AIM if you could tell me anymore.
Thanks,
-MAx

thecavemankevin
08-18-2006, 12:14 PM
sounds like a great deal to me. But you must get it in writing that if you help him he will sign over the title. Make sure you see the title first. I know it may be awekward (sp?) to do these things, but they are essentual. You dont know this man and he could turn around and say what truck?

go for it, but protect yourself

Destructo6
08-18-2006, 01:18 PM
I'd do it, definately.

Those Scouts can be rust buckets, but being in Nevada, maybe not this one. The motors can be difficult to find parts for, though.

IMO, the rolling chassis alone is worth 40hrs.

Muzikman
08-18-2006, 02:31 PM
I would do it. I mean seriously, what else do you have to do for those 4 days.

I always liked Scouts, though I am sure it will be more of a project than a daily driver. Besides you got your Heep for that.

I too have a Heep, er, I mean Jeep. 03 Rubi 6" LA lift on 35's.

hgp3fat
08-18-2006, 06:34 PM
This might sound weird, but does the old man with the Scout have any kind of speech impediment? Stuttering, lisp, nasal sounding... I know it sounds strange, but I'm curious.

maxama10
08-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Nope, speaks just fine... (?) He does talk and talk though.

Turns out its gonna take a little longer then 4 days. Im not doing anything anyways though, so whatever. Probably gonna take a couple weeks. Its not difficult, just time consuming.

Timmee
08-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Well Ive seen this Yellow Scout Traveller sitting on the side of the road for the past year. So yesterday i stopped and talked to the guy about it. He put a new transmission in it and it has 10000 miles on it. He told me all that is wrong is that it has a busted fuel line. He wants 1800 for it. I told him thanks anyways, I dont have that. Ha. (Im 16). So he said well lets make a deal. Hes old, late 60's, and is putting up a metal building (one of those prefabricated arch types. Hes had the Scout for a long timme sitting out there and he has little money. Also, he thinks im in need of a vehicle, I have the jeep...I didnt correct him :-/ So he told me that if I help him 10 hrs a day for hopefully 4 days we can have the building done and that he will sign the title over to me. So what do you guys think? Good deal, bad deal? What do you guys think about the scouts? Seems good to me.

Thanks,
-Max

DO IT!!

Then give it to me. :D

Recon by Fire
08-19-2006, 02:27 AM
Check it out, if its in good shape, $1800 is a good deal. IH Scouts are great vehicles!

Lohman446
08-20-2006, 04:30 AM
Most people who have them don't realize what they are buying. Scouts are wonderful vehicles, if I wanted to build a vintage off road vehicle and deal with the lack of commonly available parts it would be high on my list. I don't, the parts issues are more than I am willing to cope with.

That being said this is not a high horsepower vehicle. Scouts depended on torque and *gasp* traction to traverse whatever they came to. If you expect to get in it, mash the gas, and light the tires you are way off base. A Scout will make incredible climbs, as long as you never loose traction - spin the tires and you are going to have a problem. I like the scout, I really really do, but don't be misinformed about what you are buying either.

A fuel line leak is a readily doable repair. However, where are you going to find a fuel pump if it is bad for instance? This is what plagues any "oddity" vehicle. Be prepared to "make it fit", manufacture parts, or do some heavy searching for needed parts.

billybob_81067
08-20-2006, 08:28 AM
A fuel line leak is a readily doable repair. However, where are you going to find a fuel pump if it is bad for instance? This is what plagues any "oddity" vehicle. Be prepared to "make it fit", manufacture parts, or do some heavy searching for needed parts.

Fuel pump? Buy a universal electric pump, bypass the stock mechanical pump, and build a block off plate for the block where the fuel pump used to be. ;)

Like you said you can make things fit and even completely make things when needed...

I'd say definately go for it... worst case scenario is you end up with an awesome old vehicle that's just sitting around. At least it won't be headed to the junk/scrap yard.

:)

PyRo
08-20-2006, 05:14 PM
I'd do it...

skife
08-20-2006, 08:12 PM
an IHC scout would be way cool to have
try
http://www.pirate4x4.com the have an IHC forum on there.

billybob_81067
08-20-2006, 10:28 PM
an IHC scout would be way cool to have
try
http://www.pirate4x4.com the have an IHC forum on there.

LOL... pirate will have you swapping in Dana 60's front and rear in no time... ;) Crazy damn people! :D

maxama10
08-20-2006, 11:54 PM
Well, I went there and was reading and the mods warn you about how rough the guys are if youre a newb. As I was reading through a thread, I realized the mods were right. Those guys flame worse then AO. :p

billybob_81067
08-21-2006, 01:20 AM
Well, I went there and was reading and the mods warn you about how rough the guys are if youre a newb. As I was reading through a thread, I realized the mods were right. Those guys flame worse then AO. :p

Lmao... yeah they do get pretty harsh over there on Pirate... I do like their smiley that's flippin the birds though! :D

Recon by Fire
08-21-2006, 11:33 PM
This could be yours:
http://www.chooseyouritem.com/classics/photos/113000/113041.1975.International.Scout.II.jpg

get it!

maxama10
08-21-2006, 11:44 PM
I cant see the picture on any three of my browsers :(....?

billybob_81067
08-22-2006, 12:03 AM
I can't see the pic either Recon...

Repost it! I wanna see a cool scout! :D

I just remembered that I've got a 67 IH pickup sitting up on the prairie in our lineup of junk... Soooooo many projects sooo little time.

I am busting my butt working on my current project which is my 95 powerstroke. Doing some body work and prepping it for bedliner on the rocker panels and paint above that. Still need to swap in the manual transmission yet... :wow: I need to revise my sleeping schedule so that I only sleep a couple hours. :p

maxama10
08-22-2006, 12:39 AM
Tell you what though guys, If anyone ever asks you to do one of these type of buildings, unless there are a lot of guys working on it (6+) DONT DO IT!!!! 4somethingthousand bolts :-/ Haha, but I suppose it will be worth it in the end. Although the guy keeps making me feel bad. The old man keeps talking about his youth and how nice it will be for me to have my own vehicle and about how I can show it off to my friends, all the while im thinking of my nice shiny jeep sitting at home. :( I never said anything about needing a vehicle....

billybob_81067
08-22-2006, 12:52 AM
thousands of bolts eh? Sounds like a quonset hut building. Is it basically an arched steel building? Those do sort of suck to put together, once they're up though they're solid.

Grain bins suck as well... thousands of bolts there too.

Lohman446
08-22-2006, 06:00 AM
Invest in an electric impact :) Four thousand bolts would be worth having it.

maxama10
08-22-2006, 07:43 PM
I think thats what it is....sounds abouut right

we have a pneumatic impact but still have to tighten em all down by finger anyways until they wont go

were using straw bales as scaffolding(sp?) tried to rent some but not available so we bought straw... :-/ Hooray! Ill have to take some pictures for you guys :cool:

PyRo
08-22-2006, 09:44 PM
we have a pneumatic impact but still have to tighten em all down by finger anyways until they wont go
Why? Just get them started by hand then zip them in with the gun...

billybob_81067
08-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Why? Just get them started by hand then zip them in with the gun...

I agree... start them only enough to be sure they're going on straight and won't cross thread and the let it rip with the impact...

Lohman446
08-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Why would you possibly have to tighten them all down by finger? Tighten them until you know they are not cross threaded - generally the backside of the nut even with the bolt/stud end and then impact them down from there. Your going to take ten times as long doing them finger tight.

Lohman446
08-22-2006, 10:45 PM
An argument could be made that the building is never intended to come apart, and it would not matter if they were cross threaded. I know people who would start them with an impact and just torque them down.

Recon by Fire
08-22-2006, 11:18 PM
http://www.chooseyouritem.com/classics/photos/113000/113041.1975.International.Scout.II.jpg

If it doesn't show, right click and select show picture.

PyRo
08-23-2006, 06:44 AM
This could be yours:
http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/9464/scoutvo6.jpg
get it!
fixed

maxama10
08-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks, thats a nice looking scout. Far from what im getting haha. But with some work! :D :cheers: