PDA

View Full Version : Wireless internet question.

billybob_81067
08-21-2006, 01:33 AM
Is there a way to set up a wireless network system and broadcast it about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile? My parent's house is about that far from the shop and I'm wanting to get an internet connection up there, but I of course don't want to pay for an additional account.

Seems like I've seen things like this before, built out of a pringles can or something stupid like that. Anyone got any good links, or know of any products to do what I want? :)

pennywise
08-21-2006, 05:38 AM
You might look at a range extender, but I don't know if it'll put the signal that far out.
You never know though.

ahellers
08-21-2006, 10:33 AM
it seems to me that if it operates off a radio freq then all you would have to do is increase the power somehow. i mean if a radios only other limiting factor is line of sight, so the wi-fi xmters must just have a really low power.
t

behemoth
08-21-2006, 01:42 PM
you can try signal boosters and such, but i doubt its going to reach 1/2 mile.

You could run a line out like 500ft, put a signal boosted router in some sort of weather-proofed enclosure, and then run a 500ft line out of the shop, with a receiver :)

You're a hillbilly, you cn think of things to do.

BigEvil
08-21-2006, 01:44 PM
The problem with broadcasting a signal like that is EVERYONE will be able to pick it up. (If you could extend the range that far)

billybob_81067
08-21-2006, 02:23 PM
I did some late night searching on the internet last night and found that pringles cantenna web page and much much more.

One page said that with two of the antennas, one on each end, the range could be extended to about 10 miles! I don't know if that's true or not but I'm definately going to look into it some more.

Oh and I learned that the reason the antennas these people build work so well is because they are an directional antenna and must be focused right at each other. The normal antennas on wireless networks are omni-directional meaning they send the signal out in every direction.

Oh and for anyone to be able to pick it up they would have to have the correct wireless reciever right? That shouldn't be any problem considering there's only like two other houses even close to us! One which I'm sure has no computers let alone any internet! :)

nippinout
08-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Link (http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html)

You are going to need a wireless card with an external antenna jack.

Good Luck!

billybob_81067
08-22-2006, 01:10 AM
Ok I've basically got all the parts located but I've got one last question.

I will need a wireless base station right? Does it hook directly to the main computer via cables or will the main computer need the wireless network card as well. I'm a complete noob about this stuff so I drew a pic of what I think it should look like... tell me if I'm right or off my freakin rocker. :)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/billybob_81067/diagram.jpg

thecavemankevin
08-22-2006, 11:06 AM
do you have any links to what your trying to do so someone who's not....well you explains it?

Lohman446
08-22-2006, 11:16 AM
I have heard of bouncing them using mini-sattelite dishes aimed at each other (one transmitting). This allows you more control over who has access....