PDA

View Full Version : Shatnerball 4 has been CANCELED

AGD
08-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Scenario Ballers,

We regret to announce that the Shatner event scheduled for Sept 17th has been canceled due to lack of registrations (less than 80). As you are aware this is an effort by many of us in the paintball industry and William Shatner to raise money for charity and provide a good time for all.

There is a great deal of time put into this at no profit for the principals involved, but there is a minimum expense level for putting on an event of this size. In order to have the funds to pay for these expenses, a certain level of pre-registrations must be achieved by particular dates. Unfortunately the current sign ups falls far below the required minimum and this is the reason for cancellation.

The good news, William Shatner wants to give this another try several months down the road. Most likely in late January at the same place Jungle Island. As you know, the Mythbusters wanted to come but had a schedule conflict This will give us time to possibly arrange for more celebrities etc. Please stay tuned for more info.

We will be refunding 100% of the registration money. We don’t know at this moment if we will send out checks or reverse the credit card charges but you will get your money back. If you want to leave the registration fee with us for the next event you must notify us via email or in writing.

We apologize for any inconvenience, we hope the turn out will be much different for the rescheduled event.

Celebrity Paintball

Cow hunter
08-21-2006, 07:39 PM
well that just sucks! but at least shatner is still onboard for another event, and more celebs = more people there, so this may be a good thing...

Lohman446
08-21-2006, 07:41 PM
One has to thank those involved for being willing to try again after something which offers them no profit fails. Your efforts are appreciated.

javasnot17
08-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Man, that's just unfortunate. On a better note, his Comedy Central Roast was hilarious.

Jaan
08-21-2006, 07:45 PM
I'm just curious if anyone knows which event and what location had the most people show up in the past.

buzzboy
08-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Nooooooooooooooo!!11!!!11a!!!!
I really wanted to see the pics of this. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Tao
08-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Scenario Ballers,

We regret to announce that Shatner event scheduled for Sept 17th has been canceled due to lack of registrations (less than 80). As you are aware this is an effort by many of us in the paintball industry and William Shatner to raise money for charity and provide a good time for all.

There is a great deal of time put into this at no profit for the principals involved, but there is a minimum expense level for putting on an event of this size. In order to have the funds to pay for these expenses, a certain level of pre-registrations must be achieved by particular dates. Unfortunately the current sign ups falls far below the required minimum and this is the reason for cancellation.

The good news, William Shatner wants to give this another try several months down the road. Most likely in late January at the same place Jungle Island. As you know, the Mythbusters wanted to come but had a schedule conflict This will give us time to possibly arrange for more celebrities etc. Please stay tuned for more info.

We will be refunding 100% of the registration money. We don’t know at this moment if we will send out checks or reverse the credit card charges but you will get your money back. If you want to leave the registration fee with us for the next event you must notify us via email or in writing.

We apologize for any inconvenience, we hope the turn out will be much different for the rescheduled event.

Celebrity Paintball

Wow I find that surprising, shocking and sad. I can't believe that after all that and William shatner nobody signed up. I would be down totally if it wasn't such a travel for me (from Canada). I hope this is just an anomaly since this is a dream event for paintball; it would be a shame if nobody cared...

Pickle
08-21-2006, 09:14 PM
:(

d4m4don3
08-21-2006, 09:21 PM
:eek: :wow: :mad: :cuss:

Well anyone gonna go anywhere that weekend? I've got time off for that period.

Piranti
08-21-2006, 09:27 PM
RAAAWWWWRRRR......................NOOOOO. Iwas looking forward to meeting fellow Inland Empire &SoCal AOers. I had taken off time for that weekend as well. Do the Inland Empire crew wanna get together somewhere else? Umm what about the Pre-Shatner Game? Is that still on and are those that live in the area still going to be going saturday?

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
08-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Well that sucks it was canceled for you guys but on the bright side if its going down in jan. now I can attend :D

A-Tach-One
08-21-2006, 09:43 PM
:cry: Well that sucks, hope it happens down the road.

Jester619
08-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Any news on refunds yet?

Army
08-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Tom, I Emailed Carol with my request to extend my registration until the game is back on.

I'll not miss out on a Shatnerball THAT easily!!

p8ntball72
08-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Tom, I Emailed Carol with my request to extend my registration until the game is back on.

I'll not miss out on a Shatnerball THAT easily!!

Ditto

geekwarrior
08-21-2006, 10:05 PM
RAAAWWWWRRRR......................NOOOOO. Iwas looking forward to meeting fellow Inland Empire &SoCal AOers. I had taken off time for that weekend as well. Do the Inland Empire crew wanna get together somewhere else? Umm what about the Pre-Shatner Game? Is that still on and are those that live in the area still going to be going saturday?

I still want to, and I have a few friends who are up for it. Let's see what Pickle says.

A-Tach-One
08-21-2006, 10:08 PM
I still want to, and I have a few friends who are up for it. Let's see what Pickle says.
If the pregame is still on we'll make then.

Pickle
08-21-2006, 10:28 PM
The pre game (Big Game) is still on. I am working on keeping the camping open for it. Most information for the big game can be found Here (http://paintball4all.com/Forums/tabid/52/forumid/7/postid/6147/view/topic/Default.aspx)

VFX_Fenix
08-21-2006, 11:59 PM
Dangit... well, let's hope I can get time off in January to go.

RoadDawg
08-22-2006, 12:00 AM
Bummer... I may not be able to attend in January.

psychowarden
08-22-2006, 12:00 AM
It was because of the roast last night huh? I knew it! Why did Andy Dick have to go around licking everyone...now Bill has some crazy tounge disease.

hitech
08-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Damn, damn... :mad: :cuss:

evildead420
08-22-2006, 12:35 AM
All I can say is that is Super Gay, Really, i was planning my vacation for this. SUper bummer :cuss:

VFX_Fenix
08-22-2006, 02:03 AM
NoooOOooOOooOOoooooOOoooO! KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!! http://www.humboldt.edu/~mwo5/a5og/AO/n.gif :cuss:

Caffiend
08-22-2006, 03:50 AM
Aw man, I'm going to be in Africa in January. :mad: I even chose the "Over the holidays" deployment so I could go to Shatnerball. Not to mention I had to convince my wife to let me miss our daughter's first B-day (she's not going to remember it anyway, right :D )

Any chance you could reschedule it for April? *looks for gets down and begs smiley*

BigEvil
08-22-2006, 05:04 AM
WOW Holy Cow that is surprising. :wow: Not even 80 pre-registrations. Isnt that big Tippman thing a week or so before this was supposed to be?

Muzikman
08-22-2006, 07:58 AM
This is good for me as I might actually be able to make it in Jan.

etjoyride
08-22-2006, 08:10 AM
This is actually good, my birthday is in jan. maybe it can be a gift (altohugh i think i'm supposed to be getting a car)

Rudz
08-22-2006, 09:18 AM
I'm dreamin right? Well atleast the big game is still on, and the inland empire crew, and anyone else can hit sc village or somewhere else on sunday, sound good?

RavishingEddie
08-22-2006, 10:44 AM
I cannot believe it. Maybe I should have posted this on PB nation or other websites. I am pretty sure other people would have joined knowing it was going to be a celebrity event.

p8ntball72
08-22-2006, 10:57 AM
I cannot believe it. Maybe I should have posted this on PB nation or other websites. I am pretty sure other people would have joined knowing it was going to be a celebrity event.

Its been on PBnation
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1647654

If staff can come up with a firm date, I recommend leaving registration OPEN.
In past years the event has had months of prep-time and promotion.
I think the "short notice" Hurt the September Date.

See you all in January.... Shatnerball 07!!! :cheers:

Pickle
08-22-2006, 01:35 PM
There is a fear about the superbowl interfering with this Jan game. Well, have no fear as the superbowl is scheduled for Feb 4.

gibby
08-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Late January? Man...not sure if I can make it. I mean, most likely, I'll still be trying to catch up from all of the holiday expenses. Now if it were closer to tax return time? Hehe! But we'll see!

Tunaman
08-22-2006, 04:20 PM
I bet if it was on the East Coast you would get alot more guys. Hell I could bring 20 guys myself... ;)

Jaan
08-22-2006, 05:14 PM
I bet if it was on the East Coast you would get alot more guys. Hell I could bring 20 guys myself... ;)That's why I asked where and when were the most popular events of the past. If it was in Pennsylvania again I would have planned on going.

chettacheez
08-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Planned a whole vacation from Illinois and everthings payed for....Great

Did it ever occur that more people would pay at the gate? I was reluctant to even register early.

This just, well, blows.

geekwarrior
08-22-2006, 06:38 PM

Did it ever occur that more people would pay at the gate? I was reluctant to even register early.

This just, well, blows.

ouch, that sucks....well it sounds like some AOer's are still getting together,maybe we can at least get some private games set up.

Loguzzzzzz
08-22-2006, 06:48 PM
Darn, I was looking forward to it. I was just about to register too. :(

Maybe they should have waited until 9/01....when early registration closed. Possibly mentioning that the event maybe be cancelled due to lack of interest. That may have prompted people to register early.

How many people will need to register to make this happen in January? Give a target number and a head count. This way we have a goal to shoot (pun intended :D ) for.

p8ntball72
08-22-2006, 06:52 PM
I think they would need 500+ to really do any good for the Charity.
But that number is still way low compared to previous years.

Can we stop calling the game Canceled.. and refer to the event as "has been Postponed"? :)

Pickle
08-22-2006, 06:54 PM

This just, well, blows.

Man :( I am really sorry to hear that.

Loguzzzzzz
08-22-2006, 06:55 PM
Does anyone know how many people had already signed up? :confused:

hitech
08-22-2006, 06:59 PM
We regret to announce that the Shatner event scheduled for Sept 17th has been canceled due to lack of registrations (less than 80).

there you go...

d4m4don3
08-22-2006, 08:28 PM
If shatnerball were to be setup again I don't think it should be in January, lets do this right and get plenty of lead in time for people to know and schedule properly. People were probably commited to go elsewhere already. Make sure it doesn't conflict with other events.

BigEvil
08-22-2006, 08:54 PM
If shatnerball were to be setup again I don't think it should be in January, lets do this right and get plenty of lead in time for people to know and schedule properly. People were probably commited to go elsewhere already. Make sure it doesn't conflict with other events.

January still isnt enough time to promote it IMO. January is also a god-aweful time of the year to travel for most of the country.

Like Tuna said, EAST-COAST!!!. I wonder if they would have done better with having it at EMR again?

p8ntball72
08-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Lets get a firm date soon.
Past shatner games have had six month lead times and Bill was all over the airwaves with Mancow.

I think Mr. Shatner is part of the "Mark and Bryan" radio family out west, so lets get bill pumping this thing from his end.

I would also suggest getting gunny the promotional propaganda to post around his field, that way his crew can get the word out to the local stores.

This game was all over the net and gaining a buzz.
set the date, re-open registration and lets do this thing. :headbang:

Pickle
08-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Lets get a firm date soon.
Past shatner games have had six month lead times and Bill was all over the airwaves with Mancow.

I think Mr. Shatner is part of the "Mark and Bryan" radio family out west, so lets get bill pumping this thing from his end.

I would also suggest getting gunny the promotional propaganda to post around his field, that way his crew can get the word out to the local stores.

This game was all over the net and gaining a buzz.
set the date, re-open registration and lets do this thing. :headbang:

It is not necessarily a CA thing that this game didn't have enough pre-reg. It is a lack of promotion thing. No fliers ever went to any local fields or shoprs, including the home field. No advertising campaign of any kind was undertaken other than posting on a few forums. That said, even through AO alone we should have had many more than 76 registrations.

I agree January is too soon. How would it look if the game was postponed a second time because of short lead time? I would also recommend that players be allowed to buy their paint and registration on the same online form instead of reg online and paint at the field. Paypal would also be a benefit to those wishing to pay online instead of just credit card. A drop down menu of different options of things to purchase if you will.

Yes this can be done.

Fred
08-22-2006, 09:18 PM
if it was at EMR... I'd have found a way to go again... and I don't play paintball anymore... :ninja:

RoadDawg
08-22-2006, 11:34 PM
It is not necessarily a CA thing that this game didn't have enough pre-reg. It is a lack of promotion thing. No fliers ever went to any local fields or shoprs, including the home field. No advertising campaign of any kind was undertaken other than posting on a few forums. That said, even through AO alone we should have had many more than 76 registrations.

I agree January is too soon. How would it look if the game was postponed a second time because of short lead time? I would also recommend that players be allowed to buy their paint and registration on the same online form instead of reg online and paint at the field. Paypal would also be a benefit to those wishing to pay online instead of just credit card. A drop down menu of different options of things to purchase if you will.

Yes this can be done.

I got an email ad from JI about 3 weeks ago. Which prompted me to pass the word out at work to those that play. Many of us (10+) were ready to register but ALL of us got the error mentioned in the previous posts the same night. However I will say that the lack of lead up time and promotion didn't help this but what can I say... it's always easier to criticize then to do anything else.

I feel January is the worst time to play. Can we say Xmas and all the bills that follow? If anything I'd say March or April. Even in SoCal it would still be warm.

SpecialBlend2786
08-23-2006, 12:21 AM
AWESOME!!!

I was gonna be out of town on the 17th, so this is absolutly perfect for me :)

Now I can actually make it!

AGD
08-23-2006, 12:36 AM
I am getting a bunch of emails about refunds. We are going to refund the money through your credit cards even though this is going to cost US (not you) 8% in fees.

Marcia's mother is in the hospital so she is very part time at AGD. I am waiting for her to send me instructions on how to refund the money online. I am in wyoming and have to drive 20 miles to a real internet connection so some understanding would be appreciated. We will start refunding as soon as possible but it could be into next week before its all finished, I dont know what this is going to take.

REMEMBER, everyone involved is contributing their time and effort free of charge and we are doing the best we can under the circumstances.

Thanks,

Celebrity Paintball

Mike Smith
08-23-2006, 06:45 AM
Tom:
Depending on Shatner's schedule, late March would be a good time, IF you get it locked down NOW! You will need at least 6 months to promo the event.

April and May already have lots of annual events and scenarios scheduled, so waiting would not be good, unless you went to June. June or early July would need an "up north" field, like Joliet or Racine. {I really like EMR, except it is hard to get to unless you are in the northeast.}

Tina
08-23-2006, 09:55 AM
It's a shame it's been postponed. Luckily, I hadn't booked flight and hotel yet. Actually, I was going to register and do that all today, so it was great timing.

I really do have to say I'm relieved. If it was going to be 100 degrees in desert territory, I wasn't looking forward to it at all.

I agree with most people here..I'd like to see it on the east coast again.

So with it being postponed until January and still in California, I think I'll bypass the paintball and go to Bill's Shatner weekend and horse show.

JoshK
08-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Oh yes! Do it in Racine. I bet so many people would be able to come out. I mean...we have a bunch of ballers in Wisconsin, and it would be a MUCH easier trip for those on the East Coast, and it would be and easier trip than to the east coast for the people on the West Coat so it works all around!

Then you could count on atleast some, if not most of the active AO-WI clan. AO-IL would probably send a good sized group as well.

Also if you were to do it in June then it would be very nice here...not really hot or humid like in July...

-Josh

geekwarrior
08-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Oh yes! Do it in Racine. I bet so many people would be able to come out. I mean...we have a bunch of ballers in Wisconsin, and it would be a MUCH easier trip for those on the East Coast, and it would be and easier trip than to the east coast for the people on the West Coat so it works all around!

Then you could count on atleast some, if not most of the active AO-WI clan. AO-IL would probably send a good sized group as well.

Also if you were to do it in June then it would be very nice here...not really hot or humid like in July...

-Josh

Just curious, why does everyone think it would be easier/better on the East coast? And why is it easier for the west coast people to go the east than the east go to the west? :confused:

Why not have it around spring break? Nice weather here than.....

JoshK
08-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Well actually Racine is in South-eastern Wisconsin. It would be more of a comprimise than anything I think. It isn't the dead center of the United States, but that is like South Dakota, and have you ever been to South Dakota?! :rolleyes:

geekwarrior
08-23-2006, 10:42 AM
Well actually Racine is in South-eastern Wisconsin. It would be more of a comprimise than anything I think. It isn't the dead center of the United States, but that is like South Dakota, and have you ever been to South Dakota?! :rolleyes:

How about Colorado? maybe we can draw the Z-man out to play than :ninja:

JoshK
08-23-2006, 10:43 AM
I bet it will end up in So Cal just like originally...I was taking a long shot because that would be the only way I could play, :p

Jaan
08-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Just curious, why does everyone think it would be easier/better on the East coast? And why is it easier for the west coast people to go the east than the east go to the west? :confused:Well ... if you do it someplace near the American center of population, meaning the spot where there are the same amount of people living to the North, South, East and West of you, then maybe more people could come.

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/cenpop/geogctr.pdf

evildead420
08-23-2006, 01:01 PM
this event should stay in cali, you guys in the eastcoast have to many of these events. :tard: no fair. :mad: this event should been way more promoted. I tried atleast on my part.

HawaiianHorseBabe
08-23-2006, 01:40 PM
I registered on DAY ONE. :) I'm sad it's off for Sept, but Jan 07 sounds great! I wouldn't mind the cooler weather. CA is great due to the potential of more celebs to splat. :) :)

Cheers all, and hang in there! Let's promo our butz off on the new date! :headbang:

~hhb

AGD
08-23-2006, 05:02 PM
****** REFUNDS *********

We are finishing up the last of the refunds. You should be getting an email saying 75 dollars but as it turns out they dont identify it as a refund, rest assured it is. The only ones we have left are error messages and turn downs etc. We will be checking those to see if anyone is hiding in them.

Some of the teams emailed me asking when the refund would happen. Voodo, MOM, Paint Pigs, Clowns, PCP, 5150, Mininonz, Carmella I took care of personally. If you have issues please email me and I will send you the transaction number for the refund. Please do not call AGD.

Thanks

Tom

p8ntball72
08-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks Tom,

Soon as you get the new date lined up... Let us know

John
www.southwestvoodoo.com

Lohman446
08-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Umm... because major events are generally more popular on the East coast?

evildead420
08-23-2006, 07:42 PM
IMO, this new date shouldnt take place in January.

Why? Cause its the beginning/mid season of snowboarding. Most likely Ill want to go board over playing pb cause the winter time out here sucks to play. Muddy as hell, rain, cold.etc. Most people I know, myself and alot like others will most likely go to Tahoe over playing paintball during these times.

Sooooooo, my point is that this event should be rethought to Spring time, April would be perfect conditions. just my thought. :cheers:

Lohman446
08-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Is it possible to time it as a 07 Scenario kick off event? Not knowing the scenario calender I have no clue on the plausability of that.

rabidchihauhau
08-24-2006, 08:07 AM
when dates and locations are set for re-shatnerball, I would be happy to distribute the information through the VPD network.

Since I 'do' events myself, I know full well that the opportunity to change times and venues is often very complicated: there are usually obligations to be met - verbal and honorable as well as contractual, there are new scheduling hoops to jump through and there is the inevitable inertia that comes with 'doing it all over again'.

I too would put my penny in on giving the event at least 6 months for promo, but I realize that the folks in charge may not have that much latitude. They can keep the penny anyway...

AGD
08-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Hi Steve,

Yes its complicated. You all must remember that WE dont pick the dates Shatner does. His schedule is incredibly busy especially during the shooting season in the middle of the year. We have to sit down and talk with him and see what makes the most sense. Obviously things like the Super Bowl etc make a big difference and everyone is voting for more promo time so for sure that will be a big factor.

Celebrity Paintball

HawaiianHorseBabe
08-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Hey Tom,

Thanks for all this! I'm "just another" web goddess, anything I or we as individuals can do to help promo the event now that we have more time to work with?

~hhb

Rudz
08-24-2006, 04:30 PM
not like its totaly done, ao can still get together on th same dates, minus celrities and such but hey, im sure we can have a blast

Zentish
08-24-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm very bummed, but glad you told us now - I was just about to purchase cheap (non-changable) airline tickets and that wouldn't have been fun to deal with. :tard:

I'm hoping that we can get this event onto Mr. Shatner's calander ASAP for next year so that we can get more notice to all the paintball magazines, stores, webzines, get flyers to other events, etc and generate more interest.

I know that it takes a lot of work to pull these types of events off, and I'm not active in the industry, but I will offer any services I can to help out on the next event.

Things like printing and/or distributing flyers to stores, fields, and other events, are within everyone here's capabilities.

LET US KNOW!

Indignant
08-24-2006, 06:42 PM
even though this is somewhat of a disaster i couldn't help but laugh when i read less than 80 registrants... just goes to show what's happened to the scene in a year.

RoadDawg
08-24-2006, 07:15 PM
even though this is somewhat of a disaster i couldn't help but laugh when i read less than 80 registrants... just goes to show what's happened to the scene in a year.

It isn't really the "scene". It was a lack of promotion and not enough lead up time. If you only give people a 3 month window, they are going to scramble and attendance will be less then if you give people a 4-6 month window. Case in point, I was interested in attending the AO NorCal vs SoCal event this year. Only problem was it was planned almost a month and a half ahead of the date, which in the line of work I do, my projects were set in stone a month prior. It can be blamed on a lot of things, but I really doubt it was the "scene".

Although I will say, if it does happen in January and it remains in SoCal, I'll be there, I'll find time to get there.

wanna-b-ballin'
08-24-2006, 08:35 PM
its sad, but i'm actually kinda happy. i actually can probably make this event. i think i dont have school for most of january and jungle island is in-state.

Indignant
08-25-2006, 12:25 AM
It isn't really the "scene". It was a lack of promotion and not enough lead up time. If you only give people a 3 month window, they are going to scramble and attendance will be less then if you give people a 4-6 month window. Case in point, I was interested in attending the AO NorCal vs SoCal event this year. Only problem was it was planned almost a month and a half ahead of the date, which in the line of work I do, my projects were set in stone a month prior. It can be blamed on a lot of things, but I really doubt it was the "scene".

Although I will say, if it does happen in January and it remains in SoCal, I'll be there, I'll find time to get there.

very good point, but i still think that even if they HAD given this same amount of time in say, 2004, there would have been more than enough for the show to go on.

i thought you were at NorCal SoCal this year...?

Loguzzzzzz
08-25-2006, 02:10 PM
i thought you were at NorCal SoCal this year...?
I think I am one of the only ones who actually showed up. :(

I will be at the Shatner event whether it is scheduled in January, March or April, as long as it is here on the West Coast or the Pacific Southwest. :cool:

Indignant
08-25-2006, 05:27 PM
I think I am one of the only ones who actually showed up. :(

I will be at the Shatner event whether it is scheduled in January, March or April, as long as it is here on the West Coast or the Pacific Southwest. :cool:

oh, not the one at Breakout?

edit: sorry for the threadjacking D:

REDRT
08-27-2006, 07:46 AM
Scenario Ballers,

We regret to announce that the Shatner event scheduled for Sept 17th has been canceled due to lack of registrations (less than 80).

It goes to show having it out on the west coast might not be the best place to have it.

Loguzzzzzz
08-27-2006, 10:21 AM
It goes to show having it out on the west coast might not be the best place to have it.
:tard: ..................... that sound a little self serving!!

There are over 35 million people here in California, more then any other state, next closest being Texas at 20 million.

I think the word just needs to get out there. Get flyers to some of the bigger fields. There are plenty of players here, it is just that most of them are not on AO and need to hear about the game. I don't know if there was a thead over at PBN (gasp)or some of the other paintball oriented boards but the only way I knew is because of AO. I had told some of the people that I play with and they were interested.

Announce the new date, hopefully in April (better weather) and lets see what happens.

gibby
08-27-2006, 03:10 PM
April would be best for this dude. Like someone mentioned, better weather by then, I would have survived the shock of the holiday spending, and around that time, tax returns are a plenty! Money to spend! Hehe!

REDRT
08-27-2006, 03:58 PM
:tard: ..................... that sound a little self serving!!

There are over 35 million people here in California, more then any other state, next closest being Texas at 20 million.

I think the word just needs to get out there. Get flyers to some of the bigger fields. There are plenty of players here, it is just that most of them are not on AO and need to hear about the game. I don't know if there was a thead over at PBN (gasp)or some of the other paintball oriented boards but the only way I knew is because of AO. I had told some of the people that I play with and they were interested.

Announce the new date, hopefully in April (better weather) and lets see what happens.

There is 35 million fruits and nuts there in Califoria? God help us! Oh wait, only about 80 could find the time to sign up to play. Heck you can get more people to show up for a round of Greg Hastings any given day. I'm pretty sure all the people at the 04 event were not AOers and some how they found their way. I can imagin there was the same amount of word out there for this event also.

Loguzzzzzz
08-27-2006, 05:24 PM
There is 35 million fruits and nuts there in Califoria? God help us!Grow up!
Heck you can get more people to show up for a round of Greg Hastings any given day. What ever that is supposed to prove. I am sure that any given weekend there are 1000's of people playing here.
I can imagin there was the same amount of word out there for this event also.Speculation on your part! The game was announced in the beginning of April. That would be 4-1/2 months ago.
I'm pretty sure all the people at the 04 event were not AOers and some how they found their way.Were you there? I wasn't.

REDRT
08-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Grow up!

The first time ever it had to be canceled for lack of participation. Where? California thats where. Just stating the facts. Don't get bent over it dude! The whole idea of the game is for charity. It costs money to set these things up. I say you players out there get one more shot at it to make it a success if not it should come back this way so we can get the job done. Yes I was at the 04 game.

HawaiianHorseBabe
08-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Hey now, don't blame California! I think the difficulty was that the window of time between the official opening of registrations and the event itself was too narrow. Seems to me the official poster was only circulating online for a few weeks! Perhaps the other difficulty was the idea of playing in 100degF weather? Or was it that Bill was a maybe for so long? -sigh- Ok.. not ideal conditions to gather 100's of people paying $100+ to participate.

Gosh, I wanna go do this event! Hope it comes together next time 'round.

~hhb

REDRT
08-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Hey now, don't blame California! I think the difficulty was that the window of time between the official opening of registrations and the event itself was too narrow. Seems to me the official poster was only circulating online for a few weeks! Perhaps the other difficulty was the idea of playing in 100degF weather? Or was it that Bill was a maybe for so long? -sigh- Ok.. not ideal conditions to gather 100's of people paying $100+ to participate.

Gosh, I wanna go do this event! Hope it comes together next time 'round.

~hhb

Personally I think the whole OCC and myth busters was dumb. What do they have to do with paintball? I'd assume the advertising was about the same as it has been in the past. When the whole, "it is going to happen" came out and you could register it wasn't 100* out so that isn't an excuse. In 04 the first person went down from the heat around 09:45 if I remember correctly. All day long the bus hauled out the dehydrated. Besides Califoria's 100* is pleasant IMO. It never is cheap to play this one, but you want too play you got to pay. All of us in the past did. I just don't think enough people there on the west coast have an intrest in this event. Prove me wrong Califoria, prove me wrong! ;)

lather
08-27-2006, 10:41 PM
California has a lot of people sure, but that doesnt automatically make it the best venue for Scenario/big games.

Im willing to bet if Shatnerball was held in Pennslyvannia, Jersey, Indiana,Ohio etc. there would be much more enthusiastic participation. Heck, you could give only a 3 week advance notice in any of these areas and get much more than a paltry 80 registrants.

California is heavy for tournies yes, prolly the best in the country, but as far as hosting big games, scenarios,etc., California is not the first place most paintballers think of .

Pickle
08-27-2006, 10:52 PM
I can't believe this thread/subject and forum have denigrated to my state is better than yours. This thread has turned into a car accident on the freeway and most of us are rubberneckin'!

REDRT
08-27-2006, 11:09 PM
I can't believe this thread/subject and forum have denigrated to my state is better than yours. This thread has turned into a car accident on the freeway and most of us are rubberneckin'!

It hasn't. It has come down to hardly anyone showed intrest for the game there in California. For what ever reasons. When the game was held east of the Mississippi the game was a huge success. That is all.

Pickle
08-27-2006, 11:36 PM
Yeah, OKay. :rolleyes:

I will be the first one to tell you that CA has some scenario issues. But I find it laughable that people are calling for the game to be moved to the East Coast after the promoters failed to promote the game, and then blaming Ca players. Yeah, we have some issues out here. But, let the game be promoted heavily like the other Shatnerballs and when Ca fails to step up the plate then you can petition for the game to be in your neck of the woods.

lather
08-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Yeah, OKay. :rolleyes:

I will be the first one to tell you that CA has some scenario issues. But I find it laughable that people are calling for the game to be moved to the East Coast after the promoters failed to promote the game, and then blaming Ca players. Yeah, we have some issues out here. But, let the game be promoted heavily like the other Shatnerballs and when Ca fails to step up the plate then you can petition for the game to be in your neck of the woods.

I dont blame CA players, seems to me Tourney ball is Cali's bread and butter. Why so defensive if back East is more receptive to big game/Scenario formats?

Pickle
08-28-2006, 12:30 AM
I dont blame CA players, seems to me Tourney ball is Cali's bread and butter. Why so defensive if back East is more receptive to big game/Scenario formats?

I am not defensive about the East being more receptive to big game/scenario formats. I am defensive when the the game was canceled due to lack of promotion (IMHO) and in just a short time people are petitioning for it to be moved. I pervceive it as selfishness on their part. "Hey, Shatnerball tanked on the West Coast because no one knew about it so lets see if we can get it over here." At least give us West Coast players a chance to screw it up before you try to take it away. This is my last $0.02 on the topic because it is just getting stupid.

Lets play some paintball :D

paintballfiend
08-28-2006, 02:38 PM
I hope this doesn't turn into an "East Coast v.s West Coast" thing or I may have to bust a few caps. :)

Indignant
08-28-2006, 04:53 PM
...california rules

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/LittlePaintballBoy/dodgy.gif

paintballfiend
08-28-2006, 05:16 PM
Hell yeah it does. :D

REDRT
08-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Other than AO. Back in 04 all I remember seeing for advertisement was a small flyer in a skate board shop of all places. Seems a vast majority all knew about it then though. On the internet I see alot shatner 06 related info. Normally PB shops relay to there customers up coming events and post it in the shop, website ect. The word of mouth is the biggest ad. For such a small number you must have had a communication breakdown.

Indignant
08-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Shatner had a large fanbase going in too.

HawaiianHorseBabe
08-28-2006, 06:42 PM
I'm in Central Coast CA, and not one of the shops(in Ventura and Santa Barbara County) I stepped into had heard of the upcoming event. This was late July/early Aug.

This would have been my first Shatnerball. Up until the cancellation, I thought that it was being kept hush-hush on purpose! I don't know why... fear of too many? Because of the celebs? Like I said, I am very new to this but was under the impression that it was for mostly-only-the-invited to attend.

~hhb

Indignant
08-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Nope. Shatnerballs have always been the big thing, well advertised, and now, nothing.

HawaiianHorseBabe
08-28-2006, 07:15 PM
Well... somethings gotta change. Seems like this is for charity and should be an uber blast! Why not promote the heck outta it? Why don't more people know? What can even players do to help? I'm just from the Shat's fandom, not hard-core PB play-ah so I really don't know the pb culture well enough to know how promotion within it works. Willing to help as I can to boost the numbers for January.

~hhb

Tina
08-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Nope. Shatnerballs have always been the big thing, well advertised, and now, nothing.

I think since Shatnerball 03 there's been griping over how little advertized this event is. I know there was a poor turnout in 04..the lowest to date and everyone pinned it on lack of advertizing. Now we're in the same argument again. It all comes down to the advertizing. The word just isn't being put out there and it's killing attendance. I think if it was better advertized, it wouldn't matter if the game was held in, Pa, Ill, or Ca or even Syberia...with the right amount of advertizing and plenty of notice, we would get the player numbers we need.

hitech
08-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Everyone of us who want this to happen need to get the word out. I'll do my best to hit up fields and shops around here. I didn't do anything last time... :(

HawaiianHorseBabe
08-28-2006, 08:25 PM
I'm so much the newbie... I didn't know that help was needed! Can we band together and rally for more players...for January '07? Of course, I don't want to go tootn' any horns for naught.. Will it happen in Jan '07, and what all do we need to do to help it to happen?

~hhb

punkncat
08-28-2006, 08:31 PM
I have noticed of late that many long time players are just fed up and getting out. I wonder how much this has to do with the poor turnout(if anything)?

I know speaking for myself that all of the players I know will play any good scenario within a certain distance. Cali was simply too far to go regardless of who showed up.
I have wanted to make D-day for years and haven't been able to justify the expense.

Hopefully word will get out and this will be successful so that myself and others like me will have an opportunity to see this on the east coast again. One of the fellows I used to run with actually assimilated Shatner into the Borg in a past game. Jethro from Team Moist Donut...among many others.

REDRT
08-28-2006, 10:46 PM
I think since Shatnerball 03 there's been griping over how little advertized this event is. I know there was a poor turnout in 04..the lowest to date and everyone pinned it on lack of advertizing. Now we're in the same argument again. It all comes down to the advertizing. The word just isn't being put out there and it's killing attendance. I think if it was better advertized, it wouldn't matter if the game was held in, Pa, Ill, or Ca or even Syberia...with the right amount of advertizing and plenty of notice, we would get the player numbers we need.

Correction 06 was the lowest to date since it had to be canceled. ;)
How many people were there in 04? There must have been a few hundred or so. I never did hear how many people and how much $ was collected for whatever charity?

Shatnerball is advertised much like AGD advertises. Mostly nonexistant! :rolleyes:

REDRT
08-28-2006, 10:55 PM
I have wanted to make D-day for years and haven't been able to justify the expense.

I have friends that are senario freaks. Next time around if you made it to Wisconsin. I'm sure you could tag along with them to cut some cost. They play on the German side. One is a general I guess. Ohh how fun. :rolleyes:

Rudz
08-28-2006, 11:16 PM
west sider riders!!!!!!!!!!!! :shooting: :shooting:

where you from!!!!

cmon guys are you serious? nobody out here even knew abt the game word of mouth was all we had, and we didnt even have flyers, and the dates were set so close, registration only just recently opened up, but seriously u wanna take it back east? do it, cuz yall cant get down with cali, and thats how its gonna be. what what, cali on the real

now was the nonsense really nescessary? no

/grow up

//REDRT get lost

Indignant
08-28-2006, 11:35 PM
oh, and for the record, i'm pretty sure we had more AO'ers at the event in 2k4 than registered in total this year. They used to have contests, flyers, ads in the mags, etc, and now there isn't, that's that.

REDRT
08-28-2006, 11:39 PM

where you from!!!!

cmon guys are you serious? nobody out here even knew abt the game word of mouth was all we had, and we didnt even have flyers, and the dates were set so close, registration only just recently opened up, but seriously u wanna take it back east? do it, cuz yall cant get down with cali, and thats how its gonna be. what what, cali on the real

/grow up

//REDRT get lost

Excuses! You guys sound like Florida did with their ballots.

Tina
08-29-2006, 06:33 AM
Correction 06 was the lowest to date since it had to be canceled. ;)
How many people were there in 04? There must have been a few hundred or so. I never did hear how many people and how much $ was collected for whatever charity?

Shatnerball is advertised much like AGD advertises. Mostly nonexistant! :rolleyes:

Clearly, I wasn't talking about this year. I do recall that Bill had stated that in 04 the charity game didn't bring in enough money with all the time and effort that was put into it. He wasn't sure about doing it again, as his Charity Horse Show does very well each year. Obviously, he changed his mind.

Mike Smith
08-29-2006, 06:40 AM
Clearly, I wasn't talking about this year. I do recall that Bill had stated that in 04 the charity game didn't bring in enough money with all the time and effort that was put into it. He wasn't sure about doing it again, as his Charity Horse Show does very well each year. Obviously, he changed his mind.

You were there in 2004. I would estimate 400-500 people, based on the pictures I took. It didn't net as much as 2002, but the attendance was about half of 2002.

What happened this year is Tom didn't get the Texans revved up about this game. When we show up, we tend to attract a crowd. Something about the rest of the country trying to "take" us. Sure, it hasn't happened, yet, but y'all might get lucky one of these years. :p :p :D

HawaiianHorseBabe
08-29-2006, 01:55 PM
I hope this doesn't turn into an "East Coast v.s West Coast" thing or ...

Of course West Coast is better! WE HAVE BILL SHATNER -->HERE<-- :dance:

~hhb :D

geekwarrior
08-29-2006, 02:40 PM

where you from!!!!

/grow up

//REDRT get lost

necessary? no

funny? yes :headbang:

REDRT
08-29-2006, 10:37 PM
You were there in 2004. I would estimate 400-500 people, based on the pictures I took. It didn't net as much as 2002, but the attendance was about half of 2002.

What happened this year is Tom didn't get the Texans revved up about this game. When we show up, we tend to attract a crowd. Something about the rest of the country trying to "take" us. Sure, it hasn't happened, yet, but y'all might get lucky one of these years. :p :p :D

Texas is the only state where all of its people are equally full of themselves.

Rudz
08-30-2006, 12:02 AM

your not makin any freinds , are you? you pissed off the 2 largest states in the country , way to go

Mike Smith
08-30-2006, 06:04 AM

Thanks for proving my point. And you still "got no game"! :p :D

Lohman446
08-30-2006, 08:41 AM

where you from!!!!

/grow up

//REDRT get lost

I think the problem was just that the advertisements were in proper English and you just really didn't understand them. :D

/Just for fun.

geekwarrior
08-30-2006, 08:46 AM
I think the problem was just that the advertisements were in proper English and you just really didn't understand them. :D

/Just for fun.

yes, next time if you want an event in CA, advertise in spanish. And we should change the theme from WWII to Border Crossing.....illegals and drug smugglers vs. border patrol agents

Indignant
08-30-2006, 08:59 AM
i'd drive down to play at that one.

Tina
08-30-2006, 09:39 AM
yes, next time if you want an event in CA, advertise in spanish. And we should change the theme from WWII to Border Crossing.....illegals and drug smugglers vs. border patrol agents

LMAO

BigEvil
08-30-2006, 09:58 AM

LOL The guy has a point here ... :D

HawaiianHorseBabe
08-30-2006, 10:23 AM

That's really great!!! :argh:

I'd go for a sci-fi old west theme too... bandits, banditos, "law men", women with guns.. the whole bit! (Bill being a horse rider might dig it too.. I dunno.. trick is we couldn't have real horses on the field :cry: )

~hhb

Loguzzzzzz
08-30-2006, 11:47 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How funny!! Being born and raised in the San Fernando Valley I can totaly relate. :D

REDRT
08-30-2006, 09:28 PM
your not makin any freinds , are you? you pissed off the 2 largest states in the country , way to go

The only thing that would make this more fun is not making friends in person.

Correction: I have only jurked a few peoples chains that live in the largest states of this great country. Not the whole state. If I could do that I would be a politician. :D

RoadDawg
08-31-2006, 12:29 AM
got my refunds... apparently my registration did go through when I got the error message.

Mike Smith
08-31-2006, 06:20 AM
Correction: I have only jurked a few peoples chains that live in the largest states of this great country. Not the whole state. If I could do that I would be a politician. :D

Heh heh heh ... Free clue... No you didn't. You're from WI. I play in PB Sam's big game each May. I know how you WI players play paintball, so you are not capable of jerking anyone's chain... :p :p :D :D

REDRT
08-31-2006, 07:17 PM
Heh heh heh ... Free clue... No you didn't. You're from WI. I play in PB Sam's big game each May. I know how you WI players play paintball, so you are not capable of jerking anyone's chain... :p :p :D :D

You come all the way here to play a silly scenario game? :rofl: Were you dropped on your head as a baby? Ok cowboy next time your in town give a shout out. Let us see who is capable of what. ;)

Mike Smith
08-31-2006, 09:21 PM
You come all the way here to play a silly scenario game? :rofl: Were you dropped on your head as a baby? Ok cowboy next time your in town give a shout out. Let us see who is capable of what. ;)

I'll be there May 5 & 6.

And FYI, it's a "Big Game", not a scenario game. And I'm a Texan, not a cowboy.

Geez... gotta explain everything to these WI guys... :p

REDRT
08-31-2006, 09:50 PM
I'll be there May 5 & 6.

And FYI, it's a "Big Game", not a scenario game. And I'm a Texan, not a cowboy.

Geez... gotta explain everything to these WI guys... :p

I'm sorry, "BIG Game". Pretty much the same thing as a scenario game, but I forgot "Texans" only respond to things that are big. I guess everything isn't bigger in Texas! :rolleyes: The one thing we all know that is big there in Texas is the border and the lack of enforcement of it. Instead of glabanting around other states how's about guarding the border from illegals in your own state. Maybe then the rest of the country might respect something about Texas.

paintballfiend
09-01-2006, 02:31 AM

Yeah, and we can have all the "agg" kids pretend to be minute men because they are both ignorant and full of bs. :D

Thom
09-01-2006, 07:23 AM
Tom,

I talked to my brother who's a DJ out in California and he suggested getting a hold of a guy named Von Freeman at Clear Channel. He's apparently "the promotions god in LA". Sorry I don't have his contact info.