PDA

View Full Version : co2 in an HPA tank

spwz99
08-22-2006, 09:02 AM
I'm in a pinch for air this weekend because we are playing at the field here on the college campus, and there is nowhere close to fill HPA tanks. Would it be possible to fill my HPA tank with co2 for this weekend without screwing up the regulator?

CoolHand
08-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Depends on what brand of reg it is.

I've run ACI BullDog II's with CO2, and got marginal results.

Now, Smart Parts MaxFlo's (both the older manifold type, and the new inline type) deal with CO2 very well.

If you don't have a MaxFlo, I'd suggest just bumming a CO2 tank and another regulator (preferably a stabilizer or MaxFlo) off of someone else, it'll be a lot less hassle than trying to get CO2 out of just any screw-in reg.

It won't hurt the bottle (I know someone is gonna post that it will), the main problem is just that you reg might freeze if it can't deal with the liquid.

Pneumagger
08-22-2006, 09:59 AM
you can try to pick up a Co2 pinvalve and screw that in place of the regulator. Look for the manufacturer of the tank and it will list the capacity of the tank by weight for co2 or whatnot.

back2integrity
08-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Yep, you're good to go. I had a 68ci tank that held 24 ounces of co2 with no problem.

spwz99
08-22-2006, 02:17 PM
theyre pure energy 45 ci tanks.

CoolHand
08-22-2006, 04:44 PM
theyre pure energy 45 ci tanks.

That tank will be fine, I say give it a try.

Worst case, the reg freezes and you let it set until it thaws out again.

Make sure you don't tip the muzzle down while using the CO2 on the gun, or you'll get a big snort of liquid in the reg.

You might think about using a remote so you can mount the tank with the reg up. :ninja:

ProblemKinder
08-26-2006, 07:37 PM
maybe I'm just naive, but my mag comes with a warning telling me not to use CO2.

CoolHand
08-26-2006, 10:48 PM
maybe I'm just naive, but my mag comes with a warning telling me not to use CO2.

Not if you're using a Classic valve it doesn't.

And even if it did, that's just a basic suggestion. It's more of a jumping off point, so to speak.

I've never let a warning label stop me before. :ninja:

Pneumagger
08-26-2006, 11:19 PM
I've never let a warning label stop me before. :ninja:

http://www.duke.edu/~ek2/random%20humor/the%20worst%20warning.jpg

minimag03
08-26-2006, 11:37 PM
:tard: I realize this is a dumb question, but how would you fill it? Through the nipple or like a standard co2 tank (though the pin valve/reg)? It seems to me that it would hurt the tank reg if any type of HP air went though it backwards.

CoolHand
08-26-2006, 11:45 PM
:tard: I realize this is a dumb question, but how would you fill it? Through the nipple or like a standard co2 tank (though the pin valve/reg)? It seems to me that it would hurt the tank reg if any type of HP air went though it backwards.

It's a simple bit of plumbing to create a device with a QD on one end (to go on the HPA tank fill nipple), and a male ASA adapter on the other (to screw the CO2 fill station adapter onto). Easy peasy.

I love CO2, and I use it in a great many of my markers, so I have given this whole debate a great deal of thought and effort.

minimag03
08-26-2006, 11:48 PM
It's a simple bit of plumbing to create a device with a QD on one end (to go on the HPA tank fill nipple), and a male ASA adapter on the other (to screw the CO2 fill station adapter onto). Easy peasy.

I love CO2, and I use it in a great many of my markers, so I have given this whole debate a great deal of thought and effort.

I figured that is the way you would do it, but no one had mentioned it yet in the thread. I hope he didn't try to fill it though the reg. And you are right about co2. I even used it once on my Viking :D

RobAGD
08-27-2006, 12:49 AM
The problem with Co2 in a fiber wraped Alumium tank is that you can cause the tank to delaminate form the fiber wrap which will cause the tank to fail the next hydro.

I know people have been doing it since smart parts introducted teh Shockers 4x4's ( well actually they were doing on there Evolution Autocockers and Smart Valved Mags in '94.

But anyway, you COULD pill it with co2 but dont forget stuffing the CO2 in it have to go IN the reg BACKWARDS, so you risk contiminating the regulator seal which depending on teh reg is a right MF'er to fix for most screwin tanks.

Get a spare tank, school is starting up, collage kids will be selling stuff stupid cheap

-R

CoolHand
08-27-2006, 01:21 AM
That whole CO2 delaminating the HPA tank thing is a myth, several people, including Doc Nickel, and Simon Stevens have confirmed with the bottle makers that it is in fact a myth.

The only thing you need to worry about hurting your HPA tank is physical damage, and heat (which will cause physical damage by breaking down the resin in the wrap).

Thermal expansion, up or down, will not cause more change in shape than the vessel actually being filled with 4500 psi air. HPA tanks stretch when in use, they are designed to absorb dimensional changes without failure.

This is a tough myth to bust, keeps popping back up no matter how many times we try to put it down.

On a personal note, I have had at least six tanks hydro'ed that had CO2 and HPA in them for their entire stint between tests, and every one has been re-certified without exception.

LaFeev
08-27-2006, 04:48 PM
call up myth busters.

Putting CO2 in should be fine, getting it out without freezing up your reg will be the tricky part, but I don't think any lasting damage will come about b.c of it... Using a remote line or bodging an antisiphon tube in is always a thing to consider when using guns that don't like liquid co2. The warning on your mag is only in reference to the risk of liquid co2 getting into the valve and freezing up/breaking orings and such. Keeping the tank vertical on your back will keep the liquid out, and the gun happy. I say go for the co2!