PDA

View Full Version : Pledge in spanish

chettacheez
08-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Schools back in session and my spanish 2 teacher wants me to say the pledge in spanish, I refuse to.

How do you guys feel about this, am I the only one offended?

Army
08-25-2006, 11:47 PM
Stand your ground.

RoadDawg
08-25-2006, 11:53 PM
I would say it in English and then sit down. Tell him that some things just should not be translated.

chettacheez
08-25-2006, 11:57 PM
Tell him that some things just should not be translated.

Thats exactly what I thought, the pledge is something not to practice spanish on.

Eagle
08-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Well, I wouldn't be offended, but I wouldn't blame you for standing your ground on this issue.

MoeMag
08-26-2006, 12:42 AM
Umm... if you live in the US speak English after all it is the official language. I don’t mind if you keep your traditions and speak whatever with other people that you know, In fact that’s part of being American is accepting each others differences and integrating them all into what makes us strong in out diversity.

But I have to agree. That’s a little over the top. Like the others said, that’s something that shouldn’t be translated

edweird
08-26-2006, 02:14 AM
yeah im not digging the idea either.

Lohman446
08-26-2006, 07:23 AM
Umm... if you live in the US speak English after all it is the official language. I don’t mind if you keep your traditions and speak whatever with other people that you know, In fact that’s part of being American is accepting each others differences and integrating them all into what makes us strong in out diversity.

But I have to agree. That’s a little over the top. Like the others said, that’s something that shouldn’t be translated

Did they finally make it the official language? Officially?

Well I understand and agree with the concerns of doing everything in a second tongue I also empathize with those that would like to hold onto some bits of there heritage. Besides, you are not learning Spanish with the hopes that it will someday be the common language of the land, you are learning it in an effort to improve yourself. An argument can be made that any learning tool that helps you do this only helps you.

Do what you want, but be careful its not just a knee jerk reaction.

slateman
08-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Meh how about a compromise? Learn the pledge of a Spanish speaking country in Spanish :)

Eagle
08-26-2006, 10:09 AM
Did they finally make it the official language? Officially?

Well I understand and agree with the concerns of doing everything in a second tongue I also empathize with those that would like to hold onto some bits of there heritage. Besides, you are not learning Spanish with the hopes that it will someday be the common language of the land, you are learning it in an effort to improve yourself. An argument can be made that any learning tool that helps you do this only helps you.

Do what you want, but be careful its not just a knee jerk reaction.

Actaully, a few years ago I heard on the radio, it was election day and they were trying to get people to vote. They profiled times in history when one vote, or just one percent of the vote, made the difference. And they said that when Congress was first set up, that one of the first issues they tackled was what the official language would be. English won (over German) by one vote.

Lohman446
08-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Actaully, a few years ago I heard on the radio, it was election day and they were trying to get people to vote. They profiled times in history when one vote, or just one percent of the vote, made the difference. And they said that when Congress was first set up, that one of the first issues they tackled was what the official language would be. English won (over German) by one vote.

That was inaccurate. I know for a fact, at least up until the last decade, there was no official langauge in any known federal document.

BeaverEater
08-26-2006, 02:38 PM
personally i wouldnt say the pledge in spanish either. If you truely believe in it and not just trying to get out of an assignment, your teacher "should" understand.

gimp
08-26-2006, 03:17 PM
A language is just a language. I wouldn't be offended if someone was saying the pledge in spanish. It's what the pledge means that is important, not how you say it. That being said, they better be able to speak english when they're talking to me, because I'm not learning spanish.

If you don't feel comfortable saying the pledge in spanish, then you shouldn't have to do it.

Indignant
08-26-2006, 05:20 PM
i'd refuse.

Linkwarner
08-27-2006, 10:10 PM
By chance, is her name Senora Hernandez? My spanish teacher from last year moved away and is teaching at another school, and that was one of the first things she taught us.

Cow hunter
08-27-2006, 10:14 PM
i learned that in 5th grade, forgot it the next day

chip08
08-27-2006, 11:54 PM
English is not the official language of the United States. It has been put up as a bill before, but never passed. That is why you see government documents in more than one language. An official language, like English, would save billions though because then everything would only have to be in one language.

Oh, and stand your ground. What will she do, give you a zero for little grade. She can't fail you for the course and its not a test grade (hopefully).

tropical_fishy
08-28-2006, 12:40 AM
I think the point of making you say the pledge in spanish is not so much the meaning behind it, just that it's a common thing to recite; we all know the words, so the translation in your mind from english to spanish is instantanous and simple. It's like singing "happy birthday" in spanish-- we all know the words in english, so it's a simple translation in your head.

kosmo
08-28-2006, 05:51 AM
Mind numbing brainwashing techniques are lame in any language.

BigEvil
08-28-2006, 06:32 AM
I went to a private Catholic HS, and in spanish class we had to learn out prayers in spanish....

You can tell them you will compromise.. and istead of the PLedge tell them you will learn and recite the "Our Father" and see how they react to that one :eek:

Pacifist_Farmer
08-28-2006, 07:05 AM
I'm going wish Fishy on this one, while I think English should be the U.S.'s official language it isn't. And while you may not like hispanics, or at least the illegally immigrated ones (why are you takeing spanish anyways?) she is just trying to teach you a language not destroy your patriotism.

gimps also right, what difference does it make what language it's said in?

Indignant
08-28-2006, 09:05 AM
I think the point of making you say the pledge in spanish is not so much the meaning behind it, just that it's a common thing to recite; we all know the words, so the translation in your mind from english to spanish is instantanous and simple. It's like singing "happy birthday" in spanish-- we all know the words in english, so it's a simple translation in your head.

what trop is trying to say is that your teacher is slowly turning you into a spanish robot and you should get rid of her as soon as possible.

Al_Steel
08-28-2006, 09:58 AM
I agree with Fishy also. Besides, she's just trying to get you ready for when Spanish becomes the official language of the US. :)

nulam
08-28-2006, 10:34 AM
It is spanish class. You have to use spanish. It is a learning exercise. Yo prometo leyaldad de los Estados Unidos de America; y a la republica que repersenta, un natacion, sube dios, con libertedad y justicia para todos. ( I butchered some of the spelling)

Mind you I am 12 years removed from my high school spanish class and still remember that. Your position is odd considering the pledge is still to the U.S. and not to Mexico or Spain.

Maybe you should drop Spanish. Would you be happier reciting the pledge in French or Latin? It is still the pledge, regardless of what language it is recited in.

nulam
08-28-2006, 10:43 AM
This one is for BigEvil:
Padre nuestro, que estas en el cielo, santificado seo tu nombre. Y venga tu reno hagace tu voluntad en la tierra, asi como se hace en el cielo. Danos hoy nuestro pan de cada dia y perdananos nuestras ofensas y tambien nosotros perdanamos a los que nos ofendan. No nos deches caaer en tentacion, y libranos de mal. Amen.

warbeak2099
08-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Is the teacher trying to force you or has she only asked you once? If she told you to do it once and you refused, let it go. If she keeps insisting then follow your beliefs. Some of us think that the pledge should be said only in English. Others feel it doesn't matter what language it's recited in. Some apparently have no respect for it at all and call it brainwashing. I'm not going to tell you what I think, that doesn't matter. In America, you get to choose your own course of action in response to such a thing. If the prolem persists, do what you think is right. I think it's obvious that you believe very strongly in reciting the pledge only in English. Therefore, stand your ground and defend what you believe in. If you believed otherwise, then you should defend that. Get what I'm saying?

Lohman446
08-28-2006, 11:16 AM
I think its more one of those I can throw a fit, act like its a moral thing, and get attention for nothing.... but thats my own opinion and my not be accurate.

SCpoloRicker
08-28-2006, 11:36 AM
I Love America More Than You and I Will Get Indignant About It!

warpspyder
08-28-2006, 11:38 AM
I can understand both sides to this issue. On the one hand it's the pledge, so sure it's traditionally spoken in english.

But again, as has been said, it's the meaning of the words. You're saying the same thing, just in a different language. It's not like you're pledging to mexico or something, it's the same flag, the same idea, the same thing in general.

But don't get me wrong I can totally understand where he's coming from, and it's his right as an American citizen to protest what he feels is unfair.

With liberty and justice for all....

follow your heart, and do what you feel

Indignant
08-28-2006, 04:54 PM
I Love America More Than You and I Will Get Indignant About It!
]

NO WAI!

Lohman446
08-28-2006, 04:58 PM
You have the right not to say it

The teacher has the right to punish you for insubordination and fail you

If you feel strongly enough to accept the consequences, take the stance

But do not whine when you take a stance and there are consequences.

SCpoloRicker
08-28-2006, 07:23 PM
NO WAI!

http://deoxy.org/gif/yahweh.jpg

YAH-WEH!

master_alexander
08-28-2006, 10:24 PM
dont say it in spanish.

just because. its the pledge to america.

if you need to translate a song, try some pop song.

robnix
08-28-2006, 10:50 PM
dont say it in spanish.

just because. its the pledge to america.

if you need to translate a song, try some pop song.

Agreed. In German class we did Beatles songs.

Echo419
08-29-2006, 10:55 PM
I didnt really understand the problem with languages until i moved to So-fla, i live 15 miles north of miami, and attend a school where atleast 5 students in each class are unable to do the asignments as they do not speak english at all... im the only american person in my american history class for example.

jenarelJAM
08-30-2006, 01:51 AM
While I personally would not say the pledge, I feel that the common practice of translating it might lead to less racism and bigotry. I live in california, and am probably more on the radical side, but on this topic, I would stick with whatever i felt like.
It really shouldn't be a big deal either way.

In our district, we don't say the pledge at all anymore, because it mentions God, and in the constitution, it says there will be a boundary between church and state... etc. Saves us a few minutes in the mornings.... yay... Besides, when was the last time you said the pledge because you were feeling patriotic rather than because you were pressured into saying it because everyone else was. If you're athiest,or non-christian,etc. that's always another reason not to recite it, because you don't believe in God.

ahellers
08-30-2006, 04:25 AM
Agreed. In German class we did Beatles songs.

who do you say I am the walrus in spanish?
t

SCpoloRicker
08-30-2006, 10:50 AM
... im the only american person in my american history class for example.

Gold, Jerry.

Lohman446
08-30-2006, 01:14 PM
I didnt really understand the problem with languages until i moved to So-fla, i live 15 miles north of miami, and attend a school where atleast 5 students in each class are unable to do the asignments as they do not speak english at all... im the only american person in my american history class for example.

Define American? You're native American?

Indignant
08-30-2006, 05:01 PM
non-immigrant?

btw: lohman, your user text made me LOL.