PDA

View Full Version : Slider Shorts

Paul La Rue
08-27-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm looking to pick up some slider shorts.
I'm curious if anyone knows what sizes the Empire L or XL fit?
Also, does any have experience with the Empire shorts, good or bad?

How about other recommendations?

Thanks.

hitech
08-27-2006, 07:01 PM
...baseball/softball sliders from the local sporting goods store(big 5, garts/sportmart, etc). They last longer, are made better, and are typically cheaper(cuz you arent paying for name).

That's what I use. I got the ones with a built in cup pocket and cut a mouse pad to use instead of a cup (much more comfortable). :D

REDRT
08-27-2006, 07:27 PM
I just might use my cycling shorts the next time out. This thread made me think. They offer protection. comfortable, and they wisk moisture away while being able to breath.

p8ntball72
08-28-2006, 12:12 AM
they wick moisture away while being able to breath.

This is The most important part.. most paintball slide shorts Ive seen and bought do not wick.
Bike brand sliders can be had at big 5 for under 20 bucks and work better than the "Raven", "JT", and "Dye" shorts Ive worn in the past.

A good wicking short and Powder will make a world of difference... Trust me
http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/monkey_logo.jpg

SpecialBlend2786
08-28-2006, 12:20 AM
This is The most important part.. most paintball slide shorts Ive seen and bought do not wick.
Bike brand sliders can be had at big 5 for under 20 bucks and work better than the "Raven", "JT", and "Dye" shorts Ive worn in the past.

A good wicking short and Powder will make a world of difference... Trust me
http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/monkey_logo.jpg

This man speaks the truth.

I use the gurdles I used to wear for football when I paintball.

phizz
08-28-2006, 12:34 AM
sheesh why have I never thought of that! I play softball but always used to call them a bunch of wimps for wearing them, afterall you get on base a couple of times how often do you actually slide! now paintball on the other hand thats an entirely different story!

gc82000
08-28-2006, 05:09 AM
I use these O'Neill Boardshort spandex that I had for a while. I have three pairs and use them for everything, Paintball, soccer, hiking whatever. They wick awaysweat and all.

StygShore
08-28-2006, 08:59 AM
I have a couple pairs of sliders for paintball. NONE of them are paintball branded - I think my favorites are a pair of Mizunos - they are not all spandex so they fit the tree trunks I have for upper legs well without being too tight around the seams and cutting off circulation at my knees

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2125856&cp=711608.1864989.837367&cp=711608.1864989&fbn=Brand%7CMizuno&f=Brand%2F2764%2F&fbc=1&categoryId=837367&parentPage=search&searchId=17248265771#1

I did notice the paintball specific sliders have an excessive amount of padding in them - basically developed for bounces and worn under the clothes so its not so obvious you are cheating.

as far cycling shorts, they dont pad the right areas for sliding ( unless you slide on you rbutt a lot ) and dont have the cup pocket. Mizuno sliders and a soft cup/padding and you are all set.

Styg

These look promissing too and have extra padding on them:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2165687&cp=711608.1864989.837367&cp=711608.1864989&fbn=Brand%7CShock+Doctor&f=Brand%2F95458%2F&fbc=1&categoryId=837367&parentPage=search&searchId=17248383811#1

Jaan
08-28-2006, 10:07 AM
That's what I use. I got the ones with a built in cup pocket and cut a mouse pad to use instead of a cup (much more comfortable). :DI tried that before, a mouse pad tends to insulate too much and you can't wash them that well. Gotta watch out for Athlete's "Foot". The newer cups with the soft rubber sides are WAY more comfortable than the cups I grew up with. You hardly feel it there.

I just might use my cycling shorts the next time out. This thread made me think. They offer protection. comfortable, and they wisk moisture away while being able to breath.The protection is in the wrong place. The point of cycling shorts is to protect your prostrate area if you're a man. They're not cheaper so there's no point in buying cycling shorts instead of sliding shorts.

Unfortunately it's not baseball season anymore (for the retailers) so you won't find too many sliding shorts out there. When the season starts you'll get a lot of sales and you can get a soft cup / short combo for $25.

A guy I knew got shot in the boys once ... they turned almost black he said. He had to go to the hospital and have them drained. Luckily, they didn't have to remove them. Ever since then I wear a cup each and every time.

SR_matt
08-28-2006, 07:15 PM
i have a pair of the dye slider shorts, not worth the money (i got them on credit so i didnt feel to bad)

to get a pair that fitts well they are hard to get on, the cup sits to high, and they jsut all around are not very confy. but they do protect well everywhere but the cup.

for the price, get generic brand "non paintball" shorts
-matt

Paul La Rue
08-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Has anyone tried the Smart Parts sliders?

I'm definitely looking for a pair with good cup protection that is comfortable... if such a time exists...

Jaan
08-29-2006, 01:25 AM
Don't rule out baseball sliding shorts. Try the more expensive cups with the soft sides. If you look around too, you can find soft cups for other activities that don't has a great a danger as baseball.