PDA

View Full Version : problem with parents and a car.

oneworld
08-28-2006, 11:00 PM
wellll ive been in the market for a new car for awhile.. and today i drove a 97 talon tsi... looks brand new..not a rice burner.. just a clean talon tsi, the thing is the engine is pretty tuned, and it is fast, BUT heres where my problem comes into play, they told me i could get it, and i was planning on buying it.. they saw the old owner of it while they were walking, and he said there boy (18 now i belive) got alot of tickets in it.. so they told me absolutley not now... i mean, sure its fast, and my parents know this.. but honestly i have just as much of a chance of getting picked up in my honda.. idc how fast they are.. my car will do 20 over the speedlimit or w/e he got pulled over for. i mean a car is a car, no matter how fast.. you just have to respect the car and not rod it, then i would be in ok shape... but they know i will rod it, there just a 100% sure i will(dont get me wrong im sure i will every now and then).. but..do you think they may just be over looking this a little bit?

BeaverEater
08-28-2006, 11:06 PM
well if the power is there most people will tend to use it more. I hate to say it but they are kinda right about the speeding in it part. But i dont think they shouldn't allow you to get it. If you get tickets in it its your own problem.

kruger
08-29-2006, 12:19 AM
"But i dont think they shouldn't allow you to get it. If you get tickets in it its your own problem."

I dont agree with this statement. Its not his own problem. Its theirs. If you get a ticket, then the insurance will shoot thru the roof. Young boys are the main reason that insurance costs are so high. Dont get me wrong, I was young once, and I liked hotroddin' and showing out. I was lucky, I grew up in a slightly more forgiving era. In today's world, you have to pay for everything. Every decision you make, or dont make costs you money. Everything you fail to do, costs. Everything that you do do costs you money. It is my experience, and from seeing and talking with others, that if you have the power, you use the power. Its just your nature. You cant help it. My daughter wants a 06 Mustang GT. That is so NOT gonna happen. The kind of speed and power that is availble today is really for the experienced driver. I sugest that you go with the parents on this one. I know that it would be really kool to have a sporty car, but with a "milder" car, you have more money to invest in the all imortant stereo. They use less gas, and the insurance is less also. It also makes points with mom and dad. Gives the illusion that you are starting to think responsibly. They will trust your judgment in other things. And, you will be less inclined to show out to people who you think that you need to impress. And, to be honest, those people could really care less about you, or your car. Impress people with who you are, not what you own. Just my 2 cents worth.

Lohman446
08-29-2006, 05:51 AM
Car matters. I routinely drive over the speed limit. I make sure that I follow, or am followed, by another car - generally a younger person in a sportier car. I drive a four door Taurus. Guess what gets pulled over?

When my daughter turns 16 she is getting a car as a birthday present - that way I have full say in what it is.

9868Classic
08-29-2006, 06:58 AM
The Second Gen TSI's suffer from crankwalk anyway. You don't need it/want the headache associated with it.

However...on another note.

Some parents not all mind you, need to do alot better job when purchasing a car for the sole intention of giving it to their kids to drive. A brand new 07 Mustang GT/Cobra is not the car for them. Actually for that matter, neither is anything with a V8 unless it comes attached to a pick-up truck. And then take a step back and look at your kid and ask yourself if he is actually responsible enough to drive a car at all?

Your what? 16? 17? You have plenty of time to get a fast car on your own. As a matter of fact you have pretty much your whole life, and if you want a TSI then make sure you got one heck of a job to support the breaks.(I own two of these BTW)

Altimas
08-29-2006, 08:12 AM
Yeah my parents gave me a card for my 16th birthday. So I got a job worked 50 hours a week all summer long and then I bought what I wanted. I even paid my insurance. If you want the car, buy it yourself and pay your own insurance. I have a younger brother and my Mom and Dad bought him a car and its hilarious to see how they treat him so different from me. I had no curfew because I worked paid my own bills and even helped my mom and dad with some of the Utilities when it was needed. My brother has to call my mom or dad everytime he drives somewhere to let them know where he is.

Cow hunter
08-29-2006, 08:39 AM
so, if you wanted to buy say.... this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/Vw_181_v_sst.jpg/800px-Vw_181_v_sst.jpg
and someone told your parents that X person got many tickets in it, do you think iti would be the same situation?

oneworld
08-29-2006, 11:57 AM
oookk.. to answer a few questions.. i am 16.. this car would make lucky number 13.. (so its not a first car gotta have it by yesterday type of thing) i pay my own insurance on my honda which is 79 bucks, the talon will be 84... i think i can spring for the extra $5.. also ive had DSM before...2 eclipses actually.. and my honda breaks more then any of those did.. and ive been paying every little repair.. actually i was just out driving last night and i think the alternator went out of it.. so now im gonna have to pay to get that fixed before i trade it in at all.

came up with another excuse from my parents tho:

its a turbo.. its gonna break in a week,i talked to my mechanic... he said hes had it in there alot.. but he finally fixed the problem..(my dad saw it there alot) so my dad says no.. not be cause of the speed now.. its because somethings wrong with it :confused: or gonna be wrong with it in a week. and he(mechanic) said it would be a fine daily driver exept it gets about 12 MPG ..

and one more thing they threw at me

my mom hates the guy i wanna buy from.. he owns his own little lot here close to my house..and she said he ripped me off before..i bought a 1998 ford f150... very nice with alot done to it. from him for 6400 so i drove that for awhile.. and it got like 9mpg. and at that time i wasnt working enough to play that gas every week.. so my mom works at another dealership.. i quite larger one.. and he only sells all the new mustangs and chargers.. plus the 07 dodge trucks...and i cant afford those so i dont buy from him.. one day he happened to take a honda in on trade.. unfortunatly i was there when it came in.. i sorta liked it.. it was a 1997 honda accord(165k miles :wow: . and he said it booked for almost the same as my 1998 f150.. my mom didnt argue she new they wouldnt treat her bad.. i insisted on seing where they came up with that.. a few months later i was gonna trade it in on a 2004 pointiac sunfire.. they were willing to give me 3k for my car.. and i owe 4500 on it yet.. and my mom blames the guy with the tallon for ripping me off on the pickup. :rofl:

Indignant
08-29-2006, 04:44 PM
....16 and this is your 13th car?

punkncat
08-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Your parents are more than likely trying to look out for your best intrests.

Consider it like this....it a car that you are more likely to try and sport around in rather than drive. Evidenced by the fact that the previous owner did so, resulting in many tickets. As also was previously mentioned it will gain more attention from the police....another result evidenced above.

With you flying around in it being sporty (whether you say you will or not) you are more likely to get hurt. Your parents don't want that.

The previous owner probably drove the doors off it as well, so you will more than likely have reliability issues...its not new either. And its owned by a guy that you had a previous bad experiance with, or at least your parents think so.

Leave it be. There will be other cars at later times.

slade
08-29-2006, 06:22 PM
the type of car does matter for tickets, really. think about it from the perspective of a police officer, you would be more likely to pull over a more powerful car, because its potentially more dangerous . my cousin has a honda he dumped $20K into, and he was pulled over for rolling through a stop sign. then again, if youre going 41 in a 20 or weaving through traffic on the highway at 90 MPH, youre still going to get pulled over.

Al_Steel
08-29-2006, 06:34 PM
Punkncat is right on, it's been ragged and will give ya nothing but problems. Also, sport cars do get more cop attention.. Trust me... I know. There will be PLENTY of other cars.

BTW did I read that correctly 16yo and 13 cars? I'm 38yo and I don't think I've owned that many cars in my lifetime. You get a car every other week or something?

Oh these two links are your friend:

Kelly Blue Book (http://www.kbb.com)

and

Edmunds Buyers Guide (http://www.edmunds.com)

I'd hit those sites before you make your 14th purchase.

skife
08-29-2006, 06:49 PM
Punkncat is right on, it's been ragged and will give ya nothing but problems. Also, sport cars do get more cop attention.. Trust me... I know. There will be PLENTY of other cars.

BTW did I read that correctly 16yo and 13 cars? I'm 38yo and I don't think I've owned that many cars in my lifetime. You get a car every other week or something?

Oh these two links are your friend:

Kelly Blue Book (http://www.kbb.com)

and

Edmunds Buyers Guide (http://www.edmunds.com)

I'd hit those sites before you make your 14th purchase.

KBB sucks for value, they always over value cars.
NADA is closer.

jenarelJAM
08-30-2006, 01:36 AM
Stick or auto?
See this is kinda a deciding factor, because if its auto, theres really no point in sportin' with it, cause people who drive sticks(at least around here) look down on auto drivers. Its kinda a superiority complex. Actually we laugh at the people who shoot off out of the school lot, with their farting mufflers, and the engine revving up to 7k, and we know its an automatic...

I'm 17, and roll around in my mom's 1996 civic coupe, dark green with paint chipping off the hood. Auto. 165k miles or so. The only problem it has is getting up to 65 mph when the onramp is uphill. Perfect starter car from a parent's perspective.

Honestly, I have very little sympathy towards you, even though I am a fellow adolescent. You just became eligible to drive, you're already publicly admitting you speed(regularly), and you seem to have locked yourself in a chain of bad deals. You've had 13frickin' cars since you've started driving...you need to find something a bit less sporty and a bit more reliable.

Just my .02

slade
08-30-2006, 07:58 PM
NADA is closer.
well KBB lists dealer price. ive seen dealers list a vehicle well over KBB price. private sales are well below KBB.

Linkwarner
08-31-2006, 03:44 PM
My first car was a 87 Dodge Shadow... Talk about a slow car, I didnt like it back then, but now I see why my parents would let me drive something like that... its plain slow, and will keep me from getting to many tickets. Infact I have only recieved one ticket in my whole life.. I was going 72 in a 55, thing is, I was driving a Chevrolet Metro. Talk about a small underpowered car, so it doesnt matter what type of car you are driving, you can and will get pulled over. I used to be really into the import scene, until I watched one of my friends get creamed in one the worst car accidents I have ever witnessed, losing one of my best friends was very hard, I cant even imagine how his parents feel. After that incident I went and bought a truck. Now I feel safer.

personman
08-31-2006, 03:56 PM
NADA is closer.
Hm, in my experience NADA has always been higher...

starchief1959
08-31-2006, 04:13 PM
I'd go along with the parents on this one. Sounds like there's some red flags going up on the condition of the car, let alone how many you've aleady had. Get something reliable and in decent shape that is stock. Once you're doing modifications to a car such as bolt on, all you're doing is creating a bigger headache. Computerized engines are not mean to be changed without computer changes and what not. I've built engines from lawn mowers on up to 400hp V8's for my vehicles. As far as power goes, I view it as what you grew up with. My dad has always driven cars with a v8 and I have never had trouble with the law driving them. That's all I've driven, from a Station Wagon to a Trans Am.

And like 9868Classic said, you have pretty much your whole life ahead of you. Would you rather be spending your adolesence paying for insurance and car repairs or your paintball addiction?

MagMan5446
09-01-2006, 09:28 AM
sounds like a buddy of mine always gettin cars from craigslist and sellin em. he had a talon too with all kinds of sweet *** stuff.

talons are cool man. dont be a wimp and get it.

Lohman446
09-01-2006, 09:33 AM
sounds like a buddy of mine always gettin cars from craigslist and sellin em. he had a talon too with all kinds of sweet *** stuff.

talons are cool man. dont be a wimp and get it.

Nice reasoning :rolleyes:

oneworld
09-01-2006, 01:33 PM
DECIDING FACTOR

it has no airbags :confused:

no thanks.. dont want something that fast with no airbags.. i have a friend with some airbags out of his talon that he doesnt want.. but the dealer had better drop his price before i buy it the way it is.

skife
09-01-2006, 06:27 PM
wern't airbags on cars back then crappy anyways?

maxama10
09-01-2006, 07:41 PM
You my friend need one of these http://www.docsmachine.com/nonPB/2kvair3.jpg

Pneumagger
09-01-2006, 08:18 PM
did he get one of his tickets parking on the wrong side of the street when he took that picture? :ninja:

If you're buying the car/insurance, get what you want. If your parents are, then you just gotta deal.

oneworld
09-03-2006, 02:09 PM
im buying it..(loan) and ive always payed my insurance.. and repairs.. i dont know what there problem is

Lohman446
09-03-2006, 08:20 PM
im buying it..(loan) and ive always payed my insurance.. and repairs.. i dont know what there problem is

You're 16 and getting it with a loan solely in your name?

skife
09-04-2006, 12:49 PM
You're 16 and getting it with a loan solely in your name?

i'm gonna have to call BS there.

Lohman446
09-04-2006, 01:51 PM
i'm gonna have to call BS there.

Well, that surely what his post seems to imply. I mean, why should his parents have any say.

Oh, wait... I have a guess

oneworld
09-04-2006, 04:45 PM
you have to be 18 dont you.. i mean i have credit for the pickup i bought.. but my parents have to co-sighn.. but ill be paying for it..

SCpoloRicker
09-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Dude, buy/drive a cheap, easy on gas beater. Why are you paying a lease on an automobile?

/paid cash for '02 Focus

MicroMiniMe
09-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Dude, buy/drive a cheap, easy on gas beater. Why are you paying a lease on an automobile?

/paid cash for '02 Focus

It bet it was cheaper than an engagement ring. It might not be flashy but its all yours and cheap to maintain as well.

sTaLa
09-06-2006, 05:41 PM
I know sport cars are really nice and fun to drive... but they'll cost a lot on gas and will be more expensive on every parts. Even for the tires; you will HAVE to buy well made tires for you spirited driving.

Plus, I wouldn't buy a talon except if I had a lot of cash to spend. They are heavy on repairs and are a lot of troubles. I know a garage owner who refuses every talons cause he always have troubles to find parts.

If you want a sport car, at least go with something reliable, like Mazda, Honda or Toyota. My first car was an Mx-6 turbo and I now own an Rx-7. They're both really fun to drive and were not a really big deal to take care of.

Maksimus54
09-06-2006, 06:17 PM
This has got to be your third or fourth thread about your parents denying you some vehicle. I suggest you stop complaining until you are fully able to purchase, insure, and maintain the vehicle you desire without the needed approval of your parents. Until that happens stop moaning about how horrible it is to be 16 and not get a sports car.

paintballaddict_6
09-07-2006, 02:00 PM
If you really want the Talon, get a couple of tickets in the Honda just to prove that it is possible in any car :rofl:

bentothejam1n
09-07-2006, 07:06 PM
no offense but you are spoiled
/just sayin...

slade
09-07-2006, 07:23 PM
no offense but you are spoiled
/just sayin...
i parked my vehicle, which is worth about 3 grand, next to a mustang today at school.

i know spoiled.

bentothejam1n
09-07-2006, 07:49 PM
i parked my vehicle, which is worth about 3 grand, next to a mustang today at school.

i know spoiled.
if i see another sophmore driving an 06 mustangi think i might eat a baby

oneworld
09-07-2006, 08:05 PM
if i was spoild i wouldnt have a job.. and pay for everything i own dont know how thats spoild :tard:

// and my honda broke again :clap:
main seal went out.. i got it parked before i blew it up.. then i was driving our back up car.. (1995 toyota camry) But that came to a stop today.. some idiots have something against me hear.. they have a little gang.. there all 15 and 16 year olds.. and last year i beat one of them so bad i damn near killed him..so instead of fighting me they mess up every car i own.. this time they went to far. they cut all the sparkplug wires.. and they were brand new.. ( yeah i should lock it.. but in a place where i live.. you dont even lock your house at night) so looks like hes gonna get beat again.. o well.. i have fun with it :)

Lohman446
09-07-2006, 08:06 PM
I wasn't spoiled either - I paid for my own Corvette when I was young.

/Oh wait, I had a job that paid incredibly well, thanks to my parents
//Oh yeh, and I didn't have to worry about any of life's necessities.. thanks to my parents

But I was sooo independent, not spoiled at all :rolleyes:

bentothejam1n
09-07-2006, 08:25 PM
if i was spoild i wouldnt have a job.. and pay for everything i own dont know how thats spoild :tard:

// and my honda broke again :clap:
main seal went out.. i got it parked before i blew it up.. then i was driving our back up car.. (1995 toyota camry) But that came to a stop today.. some idiots have something against me hear.. they have a little gang.. there all 15 and 16 year olds.. and last year i beat one of them so bad i damn near killed him..so instead of fighting me they mess up every car i own.. this time they went to far. they cut all the sparkplug wires.. and they were brand new.. ( yeah i should lock it.. but in a place where i live.. you dont even lock your house at night) so looks like hes gonna get beat again.. o well.. i have fun with it :)
so you've had a well paying job since you were 14? enough to pay for 13 cars, bumper repairs, and "upgrades"?

Lohman446
09-07-2006, 08:30 PM
so you've had a well paying job since you were 14? enough to pay for 13 cars, bumper repairs, and "upgrades"?

You mistook I bought 13 cars to mean I bought for me 13 cars, or whatever the number was.

I've bought several hundred cars... oh wait.. yeh, I made money on most of them. Buying 13 cars does not mean you have paid for 13 individual cars. You have paid for cars 13 times, often with funds from selling 12 of them

Maksimus54
09-07-2006, 08:40 PM
so knowing a gang of kids have a personal vendetta against all your vehicles you still want to buy a really nice car?? I don't get it. What would you do to protect a talon or anyother car you choose that you don't do for cars you already own? And then being irresponsible enough to almost kill some kid in a fight and brag about it? Doubt you can really claim self defence if you beat a kid to death. Live fast die young. Drive a honda live longer.

paintballaddict_6
09-07-2006, 08:56 PM

i know spoiled.

Seeing our parking lot would make you sick. There are kids that had their parents buy them brand new BMWs and Mercedes'. My neighbor who goes to my school drives a Lexus. My friend drives an 05 Honda SUV... forget what its called.. It makes me cringe. One of the BMW kids constantly brags about how fast it is and how many "races" he's won. HORSE CRAP!! You know Doc's cartoon about the guy describing his gun to a newb and then the newb saying "uh, its like green and stuff." Yeah that's basically this kid. His parents bought him a brand new cocker which he sold half a year later because he "didn't like paintball anymore". People like that make me violent.

oneworld
09-08-2006, 08:37 AM
my parents bought me my first car.. and my second.. my first car was a 89 doge spirit.. that didnt last long.. so then they up and bought me a car that i didnt even know about.. a 1997 pontiac grand am.. i mean it was a nice car and all and i drove it for quite some time.. then i hit my ricer phase and bought my eclipse.(with my own money) 4 days later some kid offered me 2k more then i payed for it.. so of coars i sold it to him without hesitation... there i was already up plenty.. then i bought a geo storm after not finding any cars just as something to get me around.. then i bought a 91 eclipse gsx.. it was a pile.. so i traded that for a 93 probe.. i liked that.. just wanted a pickup.. BUT ill tell you the rest of my life story later.. right now im off school :sleeping:

SCpoloRicker
09-08-2006, 12:40 PM
my parents bought me my first car.. and my second.. my first car was a 89 doge spirit.. that didnt last long.. so then they up and bought me a car that i didnt even know about.. a 1997 pontiac grand am.. i mean it was a nice car and all and i drove it for quite some time.. then i hit my ricer phase and bought my eclipse.(with my own money) 4 days later some kid offered me 2k more then i payed for it.. so of coars i sold it to him without hesitation... there i was already up plenty.. then i bought a geo storm after not finding any cars just as something to get me around.. then i bought a 91 eclipse gsx.. it was a pile.. so i traded that for a 93 probe.. i liked that.. just wanted a pickup.. BUT ill tell you the rest of my life story later.. right now im off school :sleeping:

English language surrenders!

/think of the standardized testing

slade
09-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Seeing our parking lot would make you sick. There are kids that had their parents buy them brand new BMWs and Mercedes'. My neighbor who goes to my school drives a Lexus. My friend drives an 05 Honda SUV... forget what its called.. It makes me cringe. One of the BMW kids constantly brags about how fast it is and how many "races" he's won. HORSE CRAP!!
hey! i drive a BMW. its worth $3000, but its a BMW.

my school isnt terrible as far as being spoiled goes, but there are quite mustangs, a few lexuses and BMWs, etc. then quite a few brand new mid range cars, like a toyota.

the faculty parkinglot is so much cooler. i saw a biodiesel car today. actually, now that i think about that, thats probably owned by the tech teacher we just hired, i should ask him about that monday. he had something about biodiesel conversions on his resume.

You know Doc's cartoon about the guy describing his gun to a newb and then the newb saying "uh, its like green and stuff." Yeah that's basically this kid. His parents bought him a brand new cocker which he sold half a year later because he "didn't like paintball anymore". People like that make me violent.
ehh, i used to have a friend whos parents bought him a brand new omen right when they came out, and he sold it a week later. ...the part that pissed me off was he sold it for a profit, even though he bought it at a store above MAP pricing... kids like that should learn a lesson, not be rewarded :(

paintballaddict_6
09-08-2006, 06:00 PM
The funny thing is that the students have waaay better cars then the teachers. The teachers drive old POS mini vans and stuff. What really makes me sick is that the students' parents just bought them cars, they don't have to pay for insurance or gas or nothin. I had to pay for my truck, insurance, gas, and whatever else i want to put on it.

slade
09-08-2006, 06:10 PM
The funny thing is that the students have waaay better cars then the teachers. The teachers drive old POS mini vans and stuff. What really makes me sick is that the students' parents just bought them cars, they don't have to pay for insurance or gas or nothin. I had to pay for my truck, insurance, gas, and whatever else i want to put on it.
:( i have friends whos parents gave them credit cards solely for the purpose of buying gas at the parent's expense.

why cant i be spoiled?

MagMan5446
09-09-2006, 02:11 PM
I dunno if you can get a good loan or your folks can anyway i'd be down to spend 5 years payin off an M3...

Lohman446
09-09-2006, 02:16 PM
I dunno if you can get a good loan or your folks can anyway i'd be down to spend 5 years payin off an M3...

And thats why they dont offer kids credit...