PDA

View Full Version : RT on/off vs. Emag on/off?

K Wolf
08-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Why is the Emag on/off pin different in length? Is it soley due to the quad O-ring, or is there some other factor? Can/should the emag on/off and quad O-ring be used in an RTP?

Pneumagger
08-30-2006, 09:41 PM
yes... with improved results.

SureLockRTPro
08-31-2006, 11:39 AM
just to let you know i have a spare on/off pin for an emag (.712) ... let me know if u need it...

-donald

pump
08-31-2006, 03:16 PM
is the quad oring also useable in other on offs?

wouldnt might trying one in my hyperframes on off

athomas
09-04-2006, 05:48 PM
The quad oring is usable in other valves. it is softer than the urethane orings and theoretically won't last as long. Tell that to the quad oring in my emag that is several years old and has about 100000 shots on it. :D The beauty of the quad oring is that it will make the pull slightly softer as well although you may not really notice it that much.

pump
09-04-2006, 05:50 PM
well i tried a buna N oring in place of my teflon....it didnt work so well

but its still a very light pull with the teflon orings

Pneumagger
09-04-2006, 06:33 PM
ideally a quad ring doesn't deform to form a seal and is designed for a dynamic seal. This makes it a good candidate for an emag solenoid to reduce friction. You can use equivelent sized quadrings in the valve of an automag to eek out one or 2 more BPS. :cheers:

pump
09-04-2006, 07:30 PM
ah so Quads work better than bunaN and not because of the Durometer, which i thought would help when i tried the BunaN

where may i find these Quad orings?

Pneumagger
09-04-2006, 07:58 PM
quad rings generally are Buna Nitrile unless othwise noted. They work better because they rely on cross section geometry for sealing rather than compresing to seal and thus increasing friction.

Generally a quad ring of equal durometer shouldn't outlive a normal oring. But It all really depends on the dynamics of the application.

Edit: there are many oring sites that sell Quad rings suited for all sizes.

pump
09-04-2006, 08:01 PM
thanks

egb groupie
09-05-2006, 08:24 AM
so basically all it comes down to is that the quad o-ring reduces the friction against the on/off pin as compared to the standard teflon o-ring in a regular RTP on/off? Is this because of the different materials used? Also, could this quad o-ring be used with a RTP .750 pin in a classic valve with an RTP on/off? Thanks!

athomas
09-05-2006, 09:01 AM
The standard buna orings deform when used in place of the teflon and urethane orings in the top of the on-off. The quad oring is still usable as mentioned previously. The shape lends itself to be more sturdy than a standard buna oring. Buna is quite soft and pliable which is good for maintaining a good seal without being overly tight.

Teflon orings aren't used in the rtp on-off tops. These orings are urethane. Urethane orings are very tough but very rigid. For this reason, they require a precise fit and have more friction when not perfectly matched (which is why the level 10 has various carriers). Urethane does last long though. Its very tough and is suited for applications where there are moving parts.

A quad buna oring would work quite nicely in a standard rtp on-off top.

pump
09-05-2006, 09:24 AM
hyperframe on offs used the old teflon orings, it was basically a stock bottom replacement
so i dont think it can work with a quad oring or a bunaN bottom oring

correct me if im wrong

Pneumagger
09-05-2006, 09:28 AM
hyperframe on/offs used different pin diameters. So it most likely may not work, sorry. In a classic valve hypermag, use an RT on/off for the same effectiveness. A hyperframe on/off is a glorified underachieving RT on/off, more or less.

A Quad ring RT on/off with a correct length pin will work great. You may heve to experiment with a different size pin. But I would start with an Emag on/off allotgether and switch out a longer pin as needed. :cheers:

pump
09-05-2006, 09:36 AM
hyperframe on/offs used different pin diameters. So it most likely may not work, sorry.
oh no it works pretty good, i had upper diameter problems with the pin that came with my hyperframe on off, i ordered a RTP on off pin in .770 and it worked great, very consistant, but stiffer than the hyperframes pin

because the diff is the pins lower diameter hyperframe on offs is 1/16th while the RTP on off is a tad thicker, causing more friction, polishing the lower part of the pin to a 1/16th resolved that

hyperframe on/off is a glorified underachieving RT on/off, more or less.
well its more like a stock on off that uses a RTP pin....i wouldnt say thats bad or good
i mean heck you could drop in a AKA cyclone valve in there and possible get more air flow than stock RTP on off "tops", i know of a shop that has about 15 of them left, but he wants 20 bucks for them

Pneumagger
09-05-2006, 09:43 AM
if you want more flow, just drill out your RT Top. I think AGD shoulda made the Rt tops out of stainless instead of brass and as thin and flowing as possible. But hey...They work great, so as long as everyone's happy :)

pump
09-05-2006, 09:48 AM
yeah how much does that improve flow?
i was wondering about with the way the RTP on off is made you could really open up the hole from the on off to the dump chamber, wondering if that could help with ROF

my old 92 mag has such small holes, compared to my frineds newer classic wondering if there are any improvements with the new air passages

Pneumagger
09-05-2006, 09:52 AM
If you drill all the right places, Electrician suggests that it really helps the flow for using the lassic valves in an electro situation.