PDA

View Full Version : EMAG woes - video inside

Pneumagger
09-01-2006, 08:11 PM
My emag is misfiring.

I've been having issues with the plunger coming loose and changing lengths frequently. So I adjusted it several times after it keeps breaking the locktite loose. I used a mild adhesive instead and now it won't fire good at all. Very inconsistent. I find that it wont begin to kinda fire the marker until the plunger length is 3.062"... btu any longer and the sear won't trip the marker. I know it should be shorter, but it doesn't fire at all at 3.005"- 3.020"

It fires if I give it a rest between shots, but not quickly. It fires fine in mech mode, as seen in the video, but not so well in emag mode. When it misfires, the sear does not even come all the way down. It's not a short stroke, but more like the solenoid isn't trying.

Do I need a new solenoid? It was working excellent though yesterday before this last plunger readjustment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rcxneTkWi0

flyingpootang
09-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Try and clean out the noid tube with any cooper cleaner or polish. Also wiping down the plunger with oil and removing any corrosion will yeild better actraction. Then reset your rod length to 3.005. Once the build up is removed it'll restore most of the power lost to the noid. Also are you using any aftermarket board or software. If so try to set your dwell higher 13-15 usally works well....

Pneumagger
09-01-2006, 09:01 PM
i did all that previously. Xmod, dwell = 16-20

it was firing great yesterday (like 20+ nicely) and today after the readjustmant when the rod loosened up again it works like poo. Locktite didn't work, so I used a mild cyanoacrylate adhesive to hold it this time.

Edit: Video link corrected.

Pneumagger
09-01-2006, 10:14 PM
so as the marker was running out of air, the frame was ripping flawlessly. And the noid is noticable weaker when felt by hand.

So I believe it's one of 2 things...
A dying battery, or a dying solenoid

does Xmod have a low battery indicator? I don't have an ohmeter so I can't measure battery output.

A-Tach-One
09-01-2006, 10:33 PM
so as the marker was running out of air, the frame was ripping flawlessly. And the noid is noticable weaker when felt by hand.

So I believe it's one of 2 things...
A dying battery, or a dying solenoid

does Xmod have a low battery indicator? I don't have an ohmeter so I can't measure battery output.

I think it does have an indicator. With XMod I have found the plunger rod length no doubt needs to be longer. I have not had XMod fire at a length of 3.005 yet. Re adjust it until it does fire nicely. So your experience sounds normal to me, except for the plunger coming loose even with red locktite. But I do have to say your noid looked tired and beat up. :)

Pneumagger
09-01-2006, 10:40 PM
with the noid any shorter than about 3.063", the noid refuses to pull the sear. There is little to no friction, and I also tightened up a loose endcap. however, when the tank was running empty and the on/off was eaier to pull, the solenoid could handle pulling the plunger with around 3.010".

I don't thing has gone bad in a matter of 1 day so my hope is the battery. I have no air left, so I will charge the battery and test again later. How long should I charge the battery for? I hear 4 hours?

A-Tach-One
09-01-2006, 10:42 PM
with the noid any shorter than about 3.063", the noid refuses to pull the sear. There is little to no friction, and I also tightened up a loose endcap. however, when the tank was running empty and the on/off was eaier to pull, the solenoid could handle pulling the plunger with around 3.010".

I don't thing has gone bad in a matter of 1 day so my hope is the battery. I have no air left, so I will charge the battery and test again later. How long should I charge the battery for? I hear 4 hours?
Yeah, a low battery will do it every time. Make sure that is charged when you go to adjust the plunger length. How is it getting to know your Emag though? When you figure stuff out it's kinda fun. Let us know how it works out. :cheers:

Pneumagger
09-01-2006, 11:05 PM
I'm an electro newb here. It's fun learning new things though. I've been half tepted to replace the solenoid with a reverse acting clippard ram. It would be so easy with the adjustability of Xmod software and a numatics noid too. :argh:

Rudz
09-02-2006, 12:38 AM
I'm an electro newb here. It's fun learning new things though. I've been half tepted to replace the solenoid with a reverse acting clippard ram. It would be so easy with the adjustability of Xmod software and a numatics noid too. :argh:

do it, do it, do it...lol,

flyingpootang
09-02-2006, 03:13 AM
What Eric said is true the xmod software dosent pull as hard. I have 3 PredII boards and the click with the safety on is very hard compared to the xmod software...The clippard ram sounds intresting.

BigEvil
09-02-2006, 01:01 PM
The clippard ram sounds intresting.

Heheheheh... :evil grin:

flyingpootang
09-02-2006, 04:31 PM
I wonder what the max bps would be like?? :rolleyes: