PDA

View Full Version : Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, dead at 44 on the set!

Recon by Fire
09-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Indeed, the story is true.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060904/people_nm/australia_irwin_dc

I rather thought it was only a matter of time as he always liked to inlclude those close calls to add an element of danger in his shows and attract viewers. He should have taken theMarlin Perkins approach from way back: "Let me tell you about Mutual of Omaha while Jim here wrestles that black bear...."

http://rfleming.rmplc.co.uk/diarypics/Crikeysteve.jpg

God speed you whacky buckaroo!

fire1811
09-04-2006, 12:33 AM
ah damn I loved his show

RIP

beam
09-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Man, that sucks.

trevorjk
09-04-2006, 01:05 AM
:cry:

BobTheCow
09-04-2006, 01:17 AM
:( I really can't justify it, but this saddens me greatly.

magman007
09-04-2006, 04:02 AM
Stabbed through the freekin HEART! Stingrayowned.

that sucks... it was always a fun show to watch.

Recon by Fire
09-04-2006, 04:54 AM
Just to give you an idea of how big an Aussie stingray's tail barb can be:
http://files.tellmewhereonearth.com/Photos%20Fossils/stingray%20barb-australia.JPG
Ouch!

BigEvil
09-04-2006, 05:41 AM
Damn I just saw this happened. I loved that crazy guy. :cry:

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
09-04-2006, 08:29 AM
:cry:

Rudz
09-04-2006, 09:04 AM
its on the news now...suxx...man thats harsh... :cry:

Cow hunter
09-04-2006, 10:05 AM
thers a huge thread on pbn about this
/very sad, he was a rly cool guy...

Pronby
09-04-2006, 01:27 PM
A hero has died. We will remember this day as The Steve Irwin Day.

Steve Irwin 1962-2006, 4/9 2006 NEVER FORGET!

Lohman446
09-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Guess noone can dispute that things place on the list of most deadly they were doing the show on....

oneworld
09-04-2006, 04:40 PM
i just hope they got it on tape and post the video up soon FTW.

CKY_Alliance
09-04-2006, 05:09 PM
of all the venomous snakes and spiders he's handled..a friggin stingray :eek: , man that sucks i used to love watching his show when i was younger....atleast he died doing what he loved to do.

slade
09-04-2006, 06:45 PM
i met a girl today that burst out laughing when she heard that Steve Irwin had died.

Pyroboy597
09-04-2006, 09:02 PM
i just hope they got it on tape and post the video up soon FTW.

You are a sick, sick person.

It is sad to see one of the world's most enthusiastic, nature loving people die at such a young age with a full family behind him.

maxama10
09-04-2006, 10:59 PM
You are a sick, sick person.

It is sad to see one of the world's most enthusiastic, nature loving people die at such a young age with a full family behind him.

Yeah, that was :cuss: 'd up...

Edit: Slade I hope you said something to her...thats just wrong :mad:

fire1811
09-05-2006, 06:20 AM
they do have it on video though and the police are investigating it now

Pronby
09-05-2006, 08:47 AM
they do have it on video though and the police are investigating it now

Whatnow? How much is to investigate? A Stingray stabbed him, what are they gonna do about it?
"Im sorry Mr Stingray, I'm afraid you have to come with us. You are charged for the murder of Mr Steve Irwin."

Headlines:

"Will Mr Stingray get lifetime?"

"Mrs Irwin: I hope they'll lock him up for good!"

"Mr Stingray serves lifetime for murdering Steve Irwin!"

Or...what?

Indignant
09-05-2006, 09:05 AM
RIP, steve. one more person down that really cared...

PyRo
09-05-2006, 09:58 AM
Alright, who has the video?

MarkM
09-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Just to be clear if ANYONE posts the fake BBC News 24 picture, YOU WILL BE BANNED !! If you have it then keep it to emails only!
Since the video will be secret until after the inquest same applies to any 'fun' versions and if and when the real version surfaces on the net due to the nature of the content the same punishment as the fake picture will be served up.

Al_Steel
09-05-2006, 11:13 AM
That's real sad man. He was a very likable guy that had everything going for him. A real shame. He did go doing what he loved doing though, guess that's all anyone can ask. I'm really sorry for the family, left behind a wife and a small child, that's the real tragedy.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/09/04/world/asia/04irwin-3.190.jpg

BTW: slade, the chick that laughed needs to be smacked in the back of the head.

behemoth
09-05-2006, 12:22 PM
http://fapomatic.com/0636/stingrowned.png

billybob_81067
09-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Just to be clear if ANYONE posts the fake BBC News 24 picture, YOU WILL BE BANNED !! If you have it then keep it to emails only!

I want to see the pic! If you have it e-mail it to ME! :p

fire1811
09-05-2006, 06:52 PM
Whatnow? How much is to investigate? A Stingray stabbed him, what are they gonna do about it?.................

Your right they should just say screw it and not look at the video. :tard:

Cow hunter
09-05-2006, 07:48 PM
I want to see the pic! If you have it e-mail it to ME! :p
me too! i wanna see it

guru
09-05-2006, 08:16 PM
CRICKEY!! That is oddly quite depressing. The world just seems... not as enthusiastic as it once was. I mean, I hadn't watched the show in years, but just knowing that Steve Irwin was out there doing his thing gave me comfort. Now, I am truly disheartened. Rest In Peace Steve.

CJ55
09-05-2006, 08:29 PM
I thought it was crazy, he messed with snakes, spiders, crocs... and the one thing nobody thought could kill him did. That sucks though he had a good show

Steelrat
09-05-2006, 08:33 PM
RIP, steve. one more person down that really cared...

Very true words. It seems that cynicism and negativity are much more common than the type of optimism and enthusiasm Steve had. He will be sorely missed.

silentdeath55
09-05-2006, 08:35 PM
I dont know if this was posted already, but the entire thing was caught on tape, and from what I heard, he actually pulled the barb out after it went in, and then died shortly after. I've always been taught that if you have something stabbed into you, you should leave it in until it is examined by a medical professional.......just something to think about.........

Steelrat
09-05-2006, 08:37 PM
I dont know if this was posted already, but the entire thing was caught on tape, and from what I heard, he actually pulled the barb out after it went in, and then died shortly after. I've always been taught that if you have something stabbed into you, you should leave it in until it is examined by a medical professional.......just something to think about.........

Well, unfortunately, when large poisonous barbs are suddenly, and unexpectedly plunged into your chest, past the ribs, and into your heart, common sense and rational thinking tend to go out the window. Pulling it out is more of a reflex reaction.

BobTheCow
09-05-2006, 08:50 PM
CRICKEY!! That is oddly quite depressing. The world just seems... not as enthusiastic as it once was. I mean, I hadn't watched the show in years, but just knowing that Steve Irwin was out there doing his thing gave me comfort. Now, I am truly disheartened. Rest In Peace Steve.
"Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that."

:p

Pyroboy597
09-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Well, unfortunately, when large poisonous barbs are suddenly, and unexpectedly plunged into your chest, past the ribs, and into your heart, common sense and rational thinking tend to go out the window. Pulling it out is more of a reflex reaction.

I agree, I don't think he had much of a choice because at that point your body goes into instinctual mode.

Steve was a wonderful naturalist that provided education and entertainment like no one person had ever done before. He was enthusiastic about helping animals, and was willing to risk his own life to make sure an animal would live to see another day. I hope that Australia follows through with what they proposed by naming a national park and awards after him.

Lohman446
09-06-2006, 10:17 AM

He has survived this long doing what he does by letting instinct and reflex be part of him....

Thordic
09-06-2006, 10:23 AM
The fact the sting was venemous probably made it a moot point.

Not to mention the stinger stays attached to the stringray, doesn't it? How are you supposed to coax a 200-300lb stingray up to the boat with you while its stinger is in your chest? They are REALLY powerful swimmers, my father caught a 40-lb cownose ray once and it was a real pain in the butt to reel in.

Altimas
09-06-2006, 10:45 AM
that is horrible... but i chuckled.

MarkM
09-06-2006, 10:59 AM
rkjunior303 1st strike, just because a picture was found that wasn't one I had already emailed to me, common sense should have stopped any 'humourous' (alledged) pictures being posted, enjoy the time off.

Thordic
09-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Lame ban of the week award!

7 days? Who pissed in your cheerios?

MarkM
09-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Lame ban of the week award!

Not wishing to start an arguement, but elsewhere is the place for these type of pictures and more than a fair warning was given.

Thordic
09-06-2006, 12:22 PM
You made a vague warning about a picture from the BBC. I got news for you, Mark, most people here don't watch the BBC.

You didn't make a sweeping proclaimation against any and all pictures that might involve Steve Irwin.

I, for one, am truly sad about his death. He was a guy who was really passionate about his work.

But the posted picture was still funny.

Altimas
09-06-2006, 01:00 PM
I agree with Thordic, bad move.

slade
09-06-2006, 01:02 PM
You made a vague warning about a picture from the BBC. I got news for you, Mark, most people here don't watch the BBC.

You didn't make a sweeping proclaimation against any and all pictures that might involve Steve Irwin.

I, for one, am truly sad about his death. He was a guy who was really passionate about his work.

But the posted picture was still funny.
QFT.

Lohman446
09-06-2006, 01:07 PM
I loved the guys show, his attitude...

I think he would have laughed at the pic...

MarkM
09-06-2006, 01:21 PM
The warning was far from vague, BBC News 24 is available in the states just have to know where to look and the content was english in meaning but none the less still inappropriate. If people were to start posting all the 9/11 'funny' pictures would they be appropriate even now :rolleyes: I mean heck the 5 year anniversary is this weekend. Until such time as the rules regarding the PG nature of this forum are changed bans WILL be handed out.
Steve Irwin may indeed have seen the humour in the picture/s but then again maybe not either way he was an adult who made adult choices in his life, the stink concerning his son and the crocodile feeding incident caused him to rethink his approach to make a statement, didn't do it again did he? Post an inappropriate picture of any subject on AO and you run the risk of a ban, in most cases a post deletion is the limit but when a specific warning was given...afterall the latitude to include a video was also given so this picture came under this heading.

Altimas
09-06-2006, 01:38 PM
It was pretty PG to me.

thecavemankevin
09-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Until such time as the rules regarding the PG nature of this forum are changed bans WILL be handed out.

um, how in the heck did the GIF posted violate the "PG" rating? Last time i checked if it had adult language, adult "content", violence etc.... it was in violation of the PG rating. This violated none of the above. It was a comic GIF of Steve being chased by a Stingray.

It could be argued that it was inappropriate, but i can guarantee that more people would say your "punishment" was more inappropriate than the stupid picture.

But as in many segments of life the people in power let emotion and not rational, logic and common sense control their actions, thus controlling actions of those who may think in a rational, logical manor.

Way to perpetuate the cycle Mark..:rolleyes:

I would think you being one of those “enlightened Europeans” would know better than to force your dominant, totalitarian views on us silly naive Americans with our good sense of humor. Shame on you :nono:

MarkM
09-06-2006, 02:04 PM
The ban will stand, had I handed down a 3 day, the result would have been 'oh well it's only 3 days I don't care', a ban should have an effect and this certainly has. I notice the selective reading of my last post and no comments about 9/11.
In 3 days time when this will undoubtedly be remembered, will it be appropriate to post so called PG pictures about potential death and suffering...NO it will not. Contextually a picture has a place in the right place, the picture that caused this in a year or two perhaps might have been allowed to slide, then again maybe not.

To all those jumping to rkjunior303's defence, I had already warned ALL users on the first page of this thread, so any claims of 'I didn't get a warning' are totally null and void. Selective mis-reading or otherwise is no defence.

This is an end of this subject as far as I am concerned, any further bleats will be treated as a direct challenge to the directions of the moderators and we all know where that will go, so complain elsewhere as here is NOT the place.

SCpoloRicker
09-06-2006, 03:06 PM
Guys, mayhaps there is an alternative venue to discuss these issues?

*cough*

Thordic
09-06-2006, 03:46 PM
If AGD put the amount of effort into marketing that they do into banning people for stupid reasons, they'd be one hell of a successful company.

Smoke
09-07-2006, 02:18 AM
I'm so sad...I will miss you Croc man. :cry:

I was a big fan of his shows, and he was definately on my list of people I wanted to meet.

BigEvil
09-07-2006, 10:43 AM
If AGD put the amount of effort into marketing that they do into banning people for stupid reasons, they'd be one hell of a successful company.

Im making this into a hopper sticker :headbang:

wad04
09-07-2006, 03:03 PM
I don't think being stabbed through the heart is funny.

lopxtc
09-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Amazing how placement on the human body can make a huge difference in the way we view things. Through the heart ... no. Through the groin .. funny as hell.

Aaron

I don't think being stabbed through the heart is funny.

wad04
09-07-2006, 06:30 PM
getting "hit in the balls" and getting stabbed in the heart are different. I've personally never heard of someone getting stabbed in the groin.

maxama10
09-07-2006, 09:43 PM
:cuss: ...absurd

Pickle
09-08-2006, 01:52 AM
Sighh,

Steve Irwin is not even buried yet and you guys are fighting over an animation ridiculing his death. At the very least it is in extremely poor taste. I'm with MarkM on this one.

kosmo
09-08-2006, 05:05 AM
Yeah but we are all going to have forgotten about this by the time he is buried. I mean seriously now, playing with giant stingray has got to at least qualify for a darwin award.

wad04
09-08-2006, 12:23 PM
2 people in australia have been killed... EVER. swimming with stingrays might be dangerous, but not deadly.

kosmo
09-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Im sure the vast majority of Aussies generally stay away from giant sting ray. The point remains that the man died in an ironic way, and irony is generally humorous. Furthermore, everyone dies. Thus, it should not be viewed as something that is taboo.

jenarelJAM
09-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Watch this and say that again...
<embed allowScriptAccess="never" src="http://lads.myspace.com/videos/vplayer.swf" flashvars="m=1141847882&type=video&cp=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="430" height="346"></embed><br></a>

I never watched Crocodile Hunter, it didn't interest me as a kid, but I can respect that he had a family, and he was one of those people who just cares. I don't know anything about his life, but I know that he entertained and educated millions of viewers every day. When you think about what life means, how fragile it is, and how important it is, you realize that there was nothing funny about the way he died. He wasn't even doing anything particularly dangerous. He had bad luck, but he went out the way anyone could wish to.

wad04
09-12-2006, 08:42 PM
rip steve..