PDA

View Full Version : first torny, any pointers?

Munnin
09-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Im going to be playing in my first torny this weekend, a 3 on 3 at OSG paintball in NH. I wouldnt think much about it, but I play with a phantom :-D any pointers for a first timer? bonus points if youve had experiance in a torny vs. semi players wile using a pump

StygShore
09-05-2006, 01:52 PM
I hope your snapshot game is way up there!!! Other than that, standard thinking applies - shoot them before they shoot you -

My cousin played with a pump at Atomix, and although he did OK, when something went bad it went really bad - ie. overshot like mad or bunkerred from both sides.

Biggest thing is a ref has to be watching you when you shoot, becasue one break on someone coming to bunker you is NOT going to stop them in tournement play, they will keep coming and shoot you out knowing you hit them first - It's crap, but thats what I have experienced in "tournament style" play

Styg

fullofpaint
09-05-2006, 07:15 PM
play front and aggrsive, make your bunker and post right away you need evewry second of advantage you can get with a pump.

Really good communication is key, make sure your back player gives you lots of cover.

If your down and don't think you can win, consider running for a flag pull, it's worth some points you can deny the other team, but don't EVER leaver your gun behind cause they may consider you a dead player then.

angles, angles, angles, it's all about the angles you can get.

snake isn;t always a good spot for a pump cause if you get into a snap battle with your mirror it somtimes is really hard to snap out effectivly depending on the layout.

don't always snap out thr same side if your playing a big bunker like a dollhouse, pumps have nothing to them so you can pop out the top of a bunker and not worry a lot about getting hit in the hopper or something.

don't be afraid to call a ref for a paint check on your opponent, that;'s what their there for

yea I just came back from playing a tourney last week so that's just some of the stuff we did wrong...one of our players ran for the flag and left his non-functional gun behind and it didn;t count cause he left his gun, ended up costing us a spot in the finals along with me not calling a paint check on an opponent who proceded to shot me (last player) so instead of him being el9iminated and me getting the flag hand, we got 3 eliminations and the falg pull that's it

fire1811
09-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Just go out and have fun.
Everything else will come with time

flyingpootang
09-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Sink your barrel into ballons and watch for the balls to stop before doing a check, use all angels of the bunkes, communicate, watch the dead box to keep track, don't double think your moves, run towards the center of bunkers then come around the off shooting side of the other player, when a tape opens run to the end then shoot....Good luck

minimag03
09-05-2006, 08:40 PM
The thing I learned when playing speedball pump (and a semi cause I can't hit anything for my life) is that angles are your friend. With a pump you have a lot less to carry. Run fast, beat them to the bunkers, and just wait for them to slide right into a bunker that you have a good angle on. That's just how it works for me, but like I said, I don't have the best if any shot.

jenarelJAM
09-06-2006, 02:12 AM
Keep 'dem elbowz en.

/dont say it...

Temo Vryce
09-06-2006, 04:57 AM
The best piece of advice you can get is to just have fun. It's not weither you win or lose, it's aboiut having fun. Make new friends and your game will improve with time. After each game ask the other team what you guys did wrong if you lost or what you did right if you won. Aswer those questions for any team that asks you.

iambored
09-06-2006, 05:08 AM
remember that cover will be your best friend and running out in the open isn't smart unless you pump and shoot fast (well, for a pump) and be careful when reloadin' never know when someone will come in on ya
good luck, dude

Glickman
09-06-2006, 11:28 AM
i would recommend popping 2 advil pre-game

1. for your throat (it will be very sore)
2. for your knee's (they will be very sore)

its better to feel the effects post-game rather than during :D

Jeffy-CanCon
09-07-2006, 04:12 AM
The best piece of advice you can get is to just have fun. It's not weither you win or lose, it's aboiut having fun. Make new friends and your game will improve with time. After each game ask the other team what you guys did wrong if you lost or what you did right if you won. Aswer those questions for any team that asks you.

Excellent advice, Rob.

On-field communication is key, too. As one of my NPPL-experioenced friends told me, you should be always (1) talking, (2) shooting or (3) moving (not necessarily in that order).

Good luck!

don miguel
10-01-2006, 07:35 PM
shoot at the other team. :shooting:

fire1811
10-01-2006, 07:36 PM

STOP uping old threads with stupid comments. PW
Its friggin a month old

warbeak2099
10-01-2006, 07:38 PM

WOW THAT WAS RLY FUNNY. Seriously stop, you have been told to do so many times.

Here's some pretty cool advice that I got from a ref at my first tourny. When you're running to a bunker off the break, don't run in a straight line. Run in a curved line to the bunker. Kind of like a half elipse. That way, it's harder for their backmen to lead you and pick you off before you get to a bunker. Try it, it works. Good luck bro, have fun out there.