PDA

View Full Version : What is a good Preset Tank for mags?

RavishingEddie
09-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Hello guys, I know that adjustables are the way to go with an air source for mags, but I am building my brother a Pneumag and probably won't have enough cash for a good adjustable tank. So I am looking for a preset system that will make the mag shoot good. Any recomendations?

robnix
09-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Hello guys, I know that adjustables are the way to go with an air source for mags, but I am building my brother a Pneumag and probably won't have enough cash for a good adjustable tank. So I am looking for a preset system that will make the mag shoot good. Any recomendations?

I love my Crossfire 92/45. I love it more than the Air America Apoc that I have.

PumpPlayer
09-07-2006, 03:38 PM
If you're using a classic valve, don't worry about it and get whatever you normally would for any other HP marker.

If you're using an RT/E-/X- valve, you want the highest output pressure you can find. Most HP preset tanks are 800 psi output. A teammate of mine uses a Crossfire tank (850 psi preset output) and it works great. There are other 850 presets out there, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. You may also want to look into a screw-in adjustable, which are generally cheaper than fixed-mounted systems.

Good luck.

SR_matt
09-07-2006, 04:02 PM
gurellia i think is the one with 850

they have very fast recharge, i havent gotten to test mine out yet but i will in liek a week (little happy dance while my mag is being boxed up at AGD)
-matt

dsrkd
09-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Crossfire or PMI.
I have and do shoot both.
Fast recharge, they do keep up.

3DSteve
09-08-2006, 01:07 AM
you can still pick up a good adjustable for cheap if you don't mind using a 3k psi system.
i got an older nitroduck for $65

MoeMag
09-08-2006, 03:13 AM
I love my Crossfire 92/45.

Second that. I love Crossfires on my mags.

I have a 45/45, 68/45, 92/45 crossfires, and hopefully soon I will have a 70/45.

Nothin says your gonna get lit up like a 92/45 one the back with a remote coil running to a 68/45 on the gun. :headbang:

RavishingEddie
09-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Crossfire or PMI.
I have and do shoot both.
Fast recharge, they do keep up.

I was thinking of getting a NitroDuck, but my field does not fill anything from NitroDuck. One of the guys that worked there told me because a player dived and the reg on the tank broke causing the tank to launch across the air and over the field. But yeah I think I will get a crossfire or Guerilla tank.

zackzel
09-08-2006, 10:52 AM
A good HP crossfire will never let you down, I have run them on RT valves for years never any shootdown even in hybrid mode.

wimag
09-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Crossfires have a great flow.

Shingo
09-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Nothin says your gonna get lit up like a 92/45 one the back with a remote coil running to a 68/45 on the gun. :headbang:

Would love to see that setup... got pics? :D

~Shingo~

StygShore
09-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Crossfire - wish they made an adjustable system, because I love the screw in tank I have.

Styg

SR_matt
09-08-2006, 09:45 PM
there were rumors a a year or 2 ago about an adjustabe crossy but i doubt it became any more
-matt

personman
09-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Crossfire.

ahellers
09-09-2006, 12:12 AM
crossfire is no longer listed on action village, and i cant find there web site either, didi something happen to them?
t

d4m4don3
09-09-2006, 12:39 AM
Centerflag, wether its their 420, 420SV or their dynaflow systems. You could ask the boys at centerflag to preset your 420 to 950 psi. They're willing to do it :clap:

robnix
09-09-2006, 02:05 AM
crossfire is no longer listed on action village, and i cant find there web site either, didi something happen to them?
t

http://www.crossfireinc.com/

warbeak2099
09-09-2006, 06:37 AM
Good brands with fast recharging regs:

Nitro Duck
Crossfire
Centerflag
Guerilla

If you can't afford an adjustable new, you might wanna get a used one. You can get a 68/45 Flatline for $150-200 nowadays. A good quality new preset will run you around $170-200.

SR_matt
09-09-2006, 07:38 AM
my friend uses a corssy on a stock tac one with ult and the psi comming in lets the trigger be very soft (walkable) but still has a tinny bounce factor if u hit it in teh right spot
-matt

deathstalker
09-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Used Flatlines can be had at a decent price, but I hesitate to recommend it for an X-Valve. A used SP Max-Flow can also be found for a good price and, IMHO, is a better performer.

I own a 68/45 Flatline, 68/45 Max-Flow, and 70/45 Crossfire. When I shot my 'Mag for the first time with the Crossfire (after using the Flatline for about a year), it truly felt like a whole new marker. The only reason I still own the Flatline is because bidding didn't even hit $100 when I put it up on eBay this summer. :cry: I was willing to sell it cheap, but not THAT cheap.

The SP also breathed new life into it and the only reason I don't use it on my 'Mag is because I keep it at LP for many of my other markers.

Danimal82
09-10-2006, 10:22 PM
From my experience stay away from nitroduck x-stream adustable regulators. You are a very lucky person if you can adjust over 850. There is a thread in the forums talking about everyones troubles with them. I bought one for the purpose of upping reactivity, wont go higher than most presets. Customer service was also horrible. Centerflag, Macdev legionair 05 are my favorites.

slateman
09-10-2006, 10:28 PM
High Pressure Crossfire tanks. Not real expensive, but pretty reliable

don miguel
10-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Whatever it is it should be from 68-88ci becaquse mags are air suckers. GO FOR A BIG TANK. I made the mistake of buying a 48ci so go big. :cheers:

RavishingEddie
10-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Whatever it is it should be from 68-88ci becaquse mags are air suckers. GO FOR A BIG TANK. I made the mistake of buying a 48ci so go big. :cheers:

Thank you Don Miguel. You really are a nice guy. I take back everything I said about you.

:cheers: Welcome to AO

don miguel
10-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Thank you Don Miguel. You really are a nice guy. I take back everything I said about you.

:cheers: Welcome to AO

So are you. :cheers:

paintballfiend
10-03-2006, 10:16 PM
What about a 72/3000 stel tank. will that work?

don miguel
10-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Mags run at 800 psi so get an adjustable that goes to 800 psi. :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

-don

REDRT
10-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Used Flatlines can be had at a decent price, but I hesitate to recommend it for an X-Valve.

I wouldn't hesitate. My flatline is worthless for the reactive valves such as a X-valve. Even after having it rebuilt and checked over at AGD it still could keep up to a stock 3.2 Emag.

Preset wise I have a guerrilla air assault and my brother has a crossfire. Both work tip top.

RavishingEddie
10-04-2006, 11:07 PM
So you guys don't think a Flatline system is good for a mag? I thought they were specially made for a mag. I just bought one for myself but haven't really tested it yet.

11 Bravo
10-04-2006, 11:21 PM
I havent seen Pmi mentioned. So I will. PMI makes a good preset tank. :)

SR_matt
10-05-2006, 03:01 PM
I havent seen Pmi mentioned. So I will. PMI makes a good preset tank. :)
from my personal experances, from the experances of my friends, and espicaly from the experances of the guy who is basicaly my paintball mentor, i would debate that pmi makes a good tank.

my mentor used to have a pmi tank, when it was full and working "correctly" he could out shoot it with his mag (and just fyi he has an early mech Tac One shooting at a medium speed (like 6-7 bps) so its not like hes putting it on an e marker and trying to rip)

my friedns that used to work at the field with me (some of them were playing pro/am level) had used them on their E-markers (cockers at the time i think) and the tanks could not keep up well

in my 2 years working at a field probably 95% of the tanks that people brought in with blown regs were the PMI tanks

some people might be able to get a good one here or there but from ym experances i will never look at using or buying a PMI air tank (ill use the co2 tanks cause you cant reall fudge up a co2 tank)=

-matt

REDRT
10-05-2006, 05:59 PM
So you guys don't think a Flatline system is good for a mag? I thought they were specially made for a mag. I just bought one for myself but haven't really tested it yet.

Made by AGD, but that is where it ends for me. I'm like one for the few to have negative feedback on it, but mine has sucked from day one on anything rt. :( Works good for the minimag.

rawbutter
02-08-2007, 05:10 PM

I'd like to interject a quick question.

What's the functional difference between a 3000psi and a 4500 tank? And what's better for a mag?

d4m4don3
02-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Hey Eddie, if you want I'm going down to HSP with Lasrsktr and Shrub this saturday. I've got a 92CI Centerflag 420 hooked up to one of my mags. :D I can let you borrow the tank for a game or 2 if you want. LOL someone resurrected this thread! Well the offer still stands. :cheers:

SR_matt
02-08-2007, 05:58 PM

What's the functional difference between a 3000psi and a 4500 tank? And what's better for a mag?
functional differance, well since it has a reg in theory nothing but in reality the 4500 tank (when full) will rechage slightly faster (giving a harder kick back on the trigger)

my experance shows that with my guerilla air tank full i can easily walk my trigger but when it runs down to 2000-3000ish i start to lose the ability slighty becasue the trigger will not kick back as hard

you wont notice a big differance but you might notice some. if you are going to buy a tank i cannot think of a reason to not get the 4500 tank (most 4500s are only 20 bucks more than their 3000 counterpart and a lot of makers are stopping selling 3000 at least they seem harder to find).

-matt

Nate129
02-08-2007, 10:19 PM
I love my new CP - and the dust black reg matches my mag... :ninja:

sixtoes1313
02-08-2007, 10:41 PM
I have a preset 90/4500 nitroduck and never had a problem with it. 800psi output. Never had a problem..would sell it too. :) PM me if interested. good hydro till 2009

UTDragun
02-10-2007, 01:45 AM
guerilla
macdev
crossfire (the only bad thing about xfire is that they tend to blow burst disks alot)

Skywalker
02-10-2007, 02:11 AM
I have a 68/45 Flatline and a 68/45 Centerflag Dynaflow. Both work wonders, but if I had to choose I would go with the Dynaflow b/c as the tank gets low on air it automatically bumps the pressure up so you never miss a shot. Not to mention, it has the best on/off system on the market. All you do is push the off button and the marker is completely drained of air. :headbang:

SR_matt
02-10-2007, 09:49 AM
guerilla
macdev
crossfire (the only bad thing about xfire is that they tend to blow burst disks alot)
crossy blowing a lot of discs? hmm ive had mine for over 3 years and never blew a dics on it yet. which side are you blowing it out in the LP or the HP side? if its on the HP side your either getting bad discs or some one is over filling it. if its on the low side then it might need to be rebuilt.

-matt

Loguzzzzzz
02-10-2007, 11:28 AM

More air in the same size tank

A 68/3000 holds less air then a 68/4500. The reason is that there is 50% more pressure in the tank so more air is packed in.

Plain and simple.

GT
02-10-2007, 12:30 PM
automatically bumps the pressure up so you never miss a shot.

Someone is going to have to explain that one, :rofl:

Head knight of Ni
02-10-2007, 12:49 PM

As the tank loses air the output creeps up. It can be nice/annoying.

GT
02-10-2007, 12:58 PM

Again, this is a good thing?

d4m4don3
02-10-2007, 01:04 PM
A good thing on a mag. A bad thing for some other guns like angels. If the pressure goes too high you can get called out for shooting too hot. But since Mags have a reg on the valve it doesn't affect them.

SR_matt
02-10-2007, 01:04 PM
really depends on your set up. on a mag it should be fine (heck any gun with a good reg should be fine with it. it would (at least in theory) reduce shoot down as you tank gets low

an angel shouldnt matter any other than another gun, if you have a reg inbetween the valve and the tank it doesnt matter
-matt

Beemer
02-10-2007, 07:04 PM

Umm ya me too. :argh:

Beemer
02-10-2007, 07:11 PM
but if I had to choose I would go with the Dynaflow b/c as the tank gets low on air it automatically bumps the pressure up so you never miss a shot. Not to mention, it has the best on/off system on the market. All you do is push the off button and the marker is completely drained of air. :headbang:

Did you read that in the manual? The on, off is pretty slick.

I was thinking of getting a NitroDuck, but my field does not fill anything from NitroDuck. One of the guys that worked there told me because a player dived and the reg on the tank broke causing the tank to launch across the air and over the field.

Nooo, that will never happen, cant happen, wont happen, doesnt happen. Lets put 4500psi in a pressure vessel that wasnt designed to take impacts and run and dive with it. Know what smart people call that?

GT
02-10-2007, 11:01 PM
A good thing on a mag. A bad thing for some other guns like angels. If the pressure goes too high you can get called out for shooting too hot. But since Mags have a reg on the valve it doesn't affect them.

I think angels have a reg too. Called the minireg

UTDragun
02-12-2007, 12:30 AM
crossy blowing a lot of discs? hmm ive had mine for over 3 years and never blew a dics on it yet. which side are you blowing it out in the LP or the HP side? if its on the HP side your either getting bad discs or some one is over filling it. if its on the low side then it might need to be rebuilt.

-matt
the store I work for sells them and we get alot of people coming to us when they blow

I honestly dont remember which one blows, but it happens fairly often, theyre not overfilled, and happen at almost any pressure

gus13
02-12-2007, 03:07 AM
I have an 88/45 PMI pure Energy that I use for my mag and it has worked great so far albeit heavy, I have not run into any probs with it and the recharge on it is superb. I also just picked up a HP 68/45 MacDev Legionnaire,I just haven't had a chance to use it yet.
Crossfires have always been really good air sources noone will argue with that... I believe :ninja:

turbo chicken
02-12-2007, 10:53 AM
you can add shims to just about any regulator to change the output pressure ... i say get something cheap and then take it to the local PB shop to get the shims put into it ...

Shingo
02-12-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm planning on shimming my PMI 68/4500 to increase the output pressure. I know I'll have to change the burst disc to 3k to make this mod... but I'm wondering how much should I increase it? currently it's siting at 850 psi... would pushing the pressure to 950 psi be ok? how many psi can an average mag take before I start seeing problems?

Pulling long strings of paint on a Classic Valve PneuMag with a modified RT ON/OFF is showing some shootdown. the PMI reg does not keep up. would increasing the output pressure help?

questions questions questions... to shim or not to shim. that is my question.

~Shingo~

Shane-O-Mac
02-12-2007, 02:06 PM

ALL preset screwin regs do that, its a little known fact. Sometimes as much as 200 psi swing from full to 1000psi. Most adjustable regs do also (not as bad as presets), its the nature of regulators, thats why double regging is best on most guns. Not the Mag though, the air valve acts as the secondary reg.

Shane-O

turbo chicken
02-12-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm planning on shimming my PMI 68/4500 to increase the output pressure. I know I'll have to change the burst disc to 3k to make this mod... but I'm wondering how much should I increase it? currently it's siting at 850 psi... would pushing the pressure to 950 psi be ok? how many psi can an average mag take before I start seeing problems?

Pulling long strings of paint on a Classic Valve PneuMag with a modified RT ON/OFF is showing some shootdown. would increasing the PMI's output pressure help?

questions questions questions... to shim or not to shim. that is my question.

~Shingo~

increasing pressure sounds like it might help a little ... but i don't think much ... a classic valve can only recharge so fast ....

there were some mods in the pneumag database ... that will help with the shoot down ...

SR_matt
02-12-2007, 03:15 PM
the store I work for sells them and we get alot of people coming to us when they blow

I honestly dont remember which one blows, but it happens fairly often, theyre not overfilled, and happen at almost any pressure

hmm thats strange, when i worked at a field i never realyl saw crossys blowing, i saw pmis coming in all the time but never remember a lot of corssys

shingo

you shouldnt need to up the burst disk. and it probably would be un safe to as well, the disk will not go untill 1800 psi so even if you are putting 1500 psi into it it should not blow.

-matt

Shingo
02-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Pneumag database (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201012)... yeah, i should know the information in there. I'm the one that put the database together. The Electrician's instructions on how to up the Classic Valve ROF are pretty straight forward. I actually did the modifications on my classic already. Only thing I'm seeing is that PMI's reg can't keep up. 4 to 6 round burst is ok... But for long paint strings, either HP Reg sucks, or I can't walk the trigger right. I'm thinking it's my fingers. So I'm planning on sticking to my current setup.

For those who are curious:
I emailed PMI about upping the output pressure in their 68/45 and they responded that the rupture disc is rated at 1.8k only and anything over 875 psi from the output will cause the disc to vent. If this is true, then the only option is to either stick to the factory setting or put in a 3k disc if you shim.

~Shingo~

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for your actions if you do any mods to your gun or air system. HPA Tanks are dangerous. Please be careful.

SR_matt
02-12-2007, 04:35 PM
hmm well either the person didnt know what they are talking about at PMI or the disk is not 1800 psi.

a disk that is rated to X should not blow out (vent, purge what ever you want to call it) below that or else the dis is faulty

-matt

Shingo
02-12-2007, 04:45 PM
hmm well either the person didnt know what they are talking about at PMI or the disk is not 1800 psi.

a disk that is rated to X should not blow out (vent, purge what ever you want to call it) below that or else the dis is faulty

-matt

I was thinking the same thing also. 1800 is 1800... how can 900 psi rupture a 1800 disc? I wonder if it has something to do with how regs creep up the output pressure as it starts to run dry. Or maybe the output pressure on their tanks are not stable and can have a jump in pressure to 1800+ psi during use.

Maybe someone here on AO knows more about the science on how the rupture discs works or explain how PMI came to their answer.

~Shingo~

SR_matt
02-12-2007, 05:03 PM
i think it might be the excuse they want to give so they cant be responsible for any one getting hurt.

all a bust disk does is its a thin disk of brass/copper that when it reaches a set psi inside the tank the disk fails. if it was made to hold 1800 psi it will (save duds) it will hold 1800 psi.

-matt

phatty123
10-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Where would you find shims for a tank? I have a 88/300 and I want to up my pressure a little. I know what the shims look like because a rebuilt the valve, but where would I get them?

Thanks,
Barry