PDA

View Full Version : What is the best pump?

iambored
09-10-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm going to get a pump and have about 300 to spend on it.
I've narrowed it down to a phantom or an air-purcision pump
I was wondering what you guys used and if I was on the right track

syl58
09-10-2006, 11:41 AM
from my experience, i prefer nelson based over sheridans. phantoms are really the most efficient on 12 grams and are really light/small.

if you want to play stock class, phantom is easily the best choice

MoeMag
09-10-2006, 11:42 AM
ccm ss25. plain and simple.

iambored
09-10-2006, 11:43 AM
I thought about it but I didn't want an auto-trigger

sunfisher89
09-10-2006, 12:05 PM
Look into an Action Markers Illusion. You won't be dissapointed.

iambored
09-10-2006, 12:07 PM
site?

RavishingEddie
09-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Tippman SL68 2

etjoyride
09-10-2006, 12:35 PM
phantoms have AT< but most people never use them....do you prefer stock lcass or open class? open class i suggest a sniper or sterling(european cocker), for stockclass i suggest a phantom

SR_matt
09-10-2006, 03:06 PM
all nelsons have AT by design

sterlings are not a european cocker sterlings were around before cockers/ snipers... the sniper evolved somewhat from it.

for 300 you can get a decent phantom. i would suggest VSC with a t stock and a 15rnd tube personaly

phantoms are easier to swap around from stock class to open (direct feed bodies, different air setups etc)

if you just want a pump to see if you are really into it you can try a traccer/maveric/hornet (30-70 bucks) that is a nelson clone and will be a decent starter pump.
-matt

09-10-2006, 03:13 PM
From my point of view...

For Stock Class... old style Sheridan PGP. Let him in stock condition... only let make Performance tune from Palmer, Punisher... or make it self :D. It can be nearly so CO2 efficient as best Nelsons and is super small, compact, accurate and strong. You can be very quick and agille with him... perfect for running, jumping, dodging, sliding, climbing, snapshooting... or anything. It is great pump for close range stealth kill, deadly in CQB and even in woods, if you are not limited in space.

For regular (Constant Air, Direct Feed) pump play... SL-68II - if you will play without tinkering... or Sterling - if you will have really the best (but your are able make some mods).

But even Hammers/Trracers/P68... and most of others can be great - it is about player and his skills, not about equipment. Nearly any gun can be excelent if you feel confortable with them and if you know what make with them.

09-10-2006, 03:26 PM
from my experience, i prefer nelson based over sheridans. phantoms are really the most efficient on 12 grams and are really light/small.

if you want to play stock class, phantom is easily the best choice

According to Glen Palmer, best tunned PGPs can have 56 shoots above 240 fps from one powerlet. I think that this is "sufficient" efficiency, alot better than most of neslsons have. And weight can be double edged weapon.

Phantom (~250$) < Palmerized PGP (~160$)

pump
09-10-2006, 04:16 PM
best pump....im starting to think that this one is
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202898

sterlings are not a european cocker sterlings were around before cockers/ snipers... the sniper evolved somewhat from it.
no sterlings came in the late 80s early 90s Snipers are much older

also the valve of the sterling is like a Sherdian style, but the hammer is that of a Nelson
i hear the term, stacked nelson, but if were talking valve its a reversed Sherdian

sunfisher89
09-10-2006, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the compliment pump. It is now up and running oh so smoothly. All I had to do was stretch the spring a bit to get it working properly. Unfortunatly, the cost was more than double what he wants to spend.

Here's a link to an Illusion. This one is pretty pricey, but it is new. You can get one for like $200ish used.

The linkage (http://cgi.ebay.com/Action-Markers-AM-P-Illusion-Pro-Pump-Gun-Package_W0QQitemZ250027299717QQihZ015QQcategoryZ16 048QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Here's a picture of my Illusion:

My Illusion (http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=illusionleft5uz.jpg)

iambored
09-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Can you still get a sterling new? Dealers? (I've had horrible experiences with used markers and I can't stand something that I can't tinker with)
Doesn't AT increase trigger pull weight (if it isn't the hold the trigger down and pump)

Munnin
09-10-2006, 06:35 PM
i just got back from my first torny, 3 on 3 with me being the only pump out of 21 teams and i can tell you i couldnt be happyer. i was using a stockclass Phantom with a dropout valve.

edit: to the poster above, yes you can, new production sterlings just made it through customs about a month ago i belive. nice guns and retail for ~300 iirc

SR_matt
09-10-2006, 06:39 PM

no sterlings came in the late 80s early 90s Snipers are much older

also the valve of the sterling is like a Sherdian style, but the hammer is that of a Nelson
i hear the term, stacked nelson, but if were talking valve its a reversed Sherdian

hmm maybe im mixing up the chart i saw some one do up and of course i cant find it now. o well what ever matts wrong again not a surprise
-matt

iambored
09-10-2006, 07:00 PM
munnin what your team place?

Nutsnyomowf
09-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Sniper 2 well sprung and well regulated cant be beat.Add CCM pump kit and you can cock that bad boy with your index finger and very lil push.

M-a-s-sDriver
09-10-2006, 08:16 PM
All pumps ar fun for what they are and do.
BUT...
If you want to be as close as possible to the performance and speed of a Semi or electronic gun, there is only one choice, and that is CCM.
I thrive playing pump in tournament environment play. If you want to scrimmage against high ROF, and have a gun as close as possible to your compitition, that's the one.
If you just want to knock around and save some money, go phantom or the like. If you want to pay too much to get CCM type performance get a houndstooth, although the Palmer gun will be much more efficient.
My opinion is based on years of experience playing with and against all these guns.
Brent.

Lenny
09-10-2006, 11:02 PM
I've always loved Sheridans. Get a Palmer tune-up it it'll rock. Cooper-T and Palmer all sell CA adapters, and Palmer has a universal mounting block so you can actually mount a tank. And if you get a P68-SC or something, I'm sure you could rig a q-loader to it for open-pump; but then reverting it back to stock would be simple too. The only thing I have never liked about Sheridans is the fixed barrel, but that is easily overlooked.

Snipers are a nice call also in the manner that they can be altered and upgraded to you exact specification (because they take 'cocker parts). They can also be bought/built pretty cheaply as well.

behemoth
09-10-2006, 11:10 PM
I thought about it but I didn't want an auto-trigger

so you take it off...

SS-25 is one of the smoothest, comfiest, lightest and most versatile markers i've owned.

Buy one. Now.

pump
09-11-2006, 05:32 AM
Can you still get a sterling new? Dealers? (I've had horrible experiences with used markers and I can't stand something that I can't tinker with)
Doesn't AT increase trigger pull weight (if it isn't the hold the trigger down and pump)
sterlings...yeah, theres a new one thats out now, very nice except for the feed, the older ones were press fitted but dont have all the nice hardline and front ASA, but i like them more

and ATs dont do anything different to a pull

Pneumagger
09-11-2006, 10:22 AM
I like my nelson based pump. Sinle tube is nice for sighting if you're used to mags and other monotube guns. The autotrigger is nice to have when needed. Plus, nelson valves only have 1 oring that would ever need replaced from wear, actually a cup seal, but whatever.

But the SS-25 is a great buy and wouldn't dissapoint you. They don't come stock with autotrigger. I'm pretty sure it's a separtate kit.

slasherdan
09-11-2006, 11:08 AM
Seeing how I've owned just about every pump out there I have to say that this is how I rate my existing pumps:

1.) Tie between my Phantom and my Chipley ss25
2.) All the other Nelspots, Sheridans, and Snipers I've owned over the years.

The Phantom is great with it's 12 gram efficency. And the Chipley is just well ..... Really nice. I haven't owned a Illusion, seeing how the company was forced to fold, but I got to test one out for a few games and they were really nice to, but they were not a Phantom or Chipley.

If you don't want an auto trigger then you really have to search for an old model off e-bay. But to be honest it isn't hard to use a newer model and NOT use the auto trigger.

The Chipley isn't as good with 12 grams but Spaceman worked out a way to correct it, but it takes getting some parts and doing some machine work on them for the Chipley. Not an easy process ... but the man has, in my opinion, the most efficent cockers and sniper based pumps out there.

Pneumagger
09-11-2006, 11:16 AM
CCM SS-25 + AGD 6pac. Prime the cocker with one 12 gram, eject, and use the rest for the game. That should solve the 12g problem. :shooting:

6pac FTMFW

Pneumagger
09-11-2006, 11:17 AM
OT:

Why doesn't AGD make the 6pac anymore? It was a great concept and the pump market is making a bit of a comback it seems. Doesn't seem like a moneyhole for AGD to put out a few hundred for the pump market.

SlartyBartFast
09-11-2006, 11:34 AM
OT:

Why doesn't AGD make the 6pac anymore?

That’s simple. Stock Class used to limit players to using 12grams. “Constant Air” cylinders were forbidden.

AGD thought outside the box, twisted the rules on their head, and made the 6pak. The rules were then changed. Stock Class now required the 12gram to be inserted through a threaded opening (or some such wording).

Any class that would allow a 6pak to be used will allow 9oz and 12 oz tanks. Given the choice, any rational player will take a single bottom line tank over a 6pak. So, the 6pak is just another evolutionary curiosity and collector’s item.

slasherdan
09-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Well I think AGD is a little shy about coming out with products when they see some interest on the forum. I think they're worried that they will release the 6-pack for a limited release and then only sell like 3 of them.

I'd love to get my hands on one though. For both my Chipley and my Phantom it would be god send in keeping the wieght down.

PumpPlayer
09-11-2006, 12:53 PM
The problem is the price point. In order to make it worth it for AGD to make the things, I would suspect that they would have to charge at least $125+.

A 7 ounce tank never needs hydro testing, is the same weight as a loaded 6pak and is the same length and angle. If you want to, you can put a buttplate on it. They cost $20. At most fields, they're free to fill as opposed to 12-grams which are 50 cents a pop.

I'd buy one simply because they're really cool.

But I doubt it would see the field very much...

As for which pump marker you should get, decide for yourself.
What kind of ROF are you going to 'need'? Are you limited to direct-feed markers or is stock feed going to be more to your liking? How do you want the marker set up? Vertical air and stock? 12-gram? Bottomline and tank? Do you want to use CO2 or HPA? Do you have a lot of one particular type of barrel and is barrel threading a concern?

If you're used to a semi setup, want to run HPA on a bottomline and want to use 'cocker barrels, then the sniper or SS25 is probably what you want. If you're not as concerned with ROF and simply want balls-on-nuts accuracy, don't need to run a big tank and you can live with a stock feed, you can't beat the Phantom.

I usually use a VSC .45 Phantom with the T-stock. I play up forward and take aimed shots at a modest ROF, usually never more than one or two without ducking back into my bunker again. The Phantom is perfect for me and I wouldn't consider using anything else, even though I have more expensive faire in my gear bag.

Hope that helps - good luck.

peewee
09-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Having played with just about every type pump under the sun. My vote is for the phantom. Easy to upgrade cost less than an SS25 or palmer SS. I love me PGP fine but its my loaner . But you need to try a couple out for yourself. Some people dont like how light the phantom is in comparison to other markers. Any CCM pump is butter smooth great markers but cost a little more.

paintman1234
09-11-2006, 03:18 PM
I love my old sniper, it was fairly inexpensive and shoots just like you would expect a pump to shoot, HOWEVER my friend newbiemagman10988 has a palmerized, custom, sheridan AT that just shoots awesome laser beams. custom made delrin bolt and everything....

I would go with something like that, I prefer it to the phantom vsc I owned

pump
09-11-2006, 03:29 PM
nelson valves only have 1 oring that would ever need replaced from wear, actually a cup seal, but whatever.
same as most pumps, sherdians and sterlings