PDA

View Full Version : Spydermag idea

wjr
09-13-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm thinking of making a spydermag frame for my next project. Instead of doing a flipped noid, sear interaction mod, or lukes type of mod, I've decided to replace the stock spyder solenoid with a pull type solenoid. I would use this (http://www.solenoidcity.com/solenoid/tubular/tubularcatalog.htm) one from solenoid city. By doing it this way, I won't have to do as much dremeling.

Do any of you with more tinkering experiance then I see any problems with this?

FinchMan
09-14-2006, 02:58 AM
just don't connect the pull directly to the sear, make it grab around the sear. that way the sear's rotation won't screw with the mounting of the noid.

maddboy32
09-14-2006, 07:25 AM
if you want a beat up frame to work on, and use as a prototype, i have two of them i'm not useing.

the electrician
09-14-2006, 08:04 AM
be prepared to use a large solenoid and a large battery for this method.

I think you need to take some force measurements and do some research before you decide to go this route.

you are basically making the exact thing that an e-mag already is.

wjr
09-14-2006, 06:59 PM
be prepared to use a large solenoid and a large battery for this method.

I think you need to take some force measurements and do some research before you decide to go this route.

you are basically making the exact thing that an e-mag already is.

I realize this. It's just way cheaper then an emag and it would be a fun project to work on.

the electrician
09-17-2006, 08:23 PM
oh yeah, I'm all for projects. just wanted to make sure you realized it would need a large battery if done this way.

wjr
09-17-2006, 08:54 PM
If I were to use a ULT, I wouldn't need such a large battery, correct?
I did the calculations and according to them I would only need 8 watts of power with a ULT. I'm not sure how many volts that is, but I know that it isn't many. Chances are I messed up somewhere in the calculating...