PDA

View Full Version : Monitoring Gun Performance via Bluetooth

beam
09-15-2006, 03:05 PM
Pop a BT chip onboard. Set up a protocol for communicating gun performance via BT.

Judges can sit on the side line with a laptop and monitor gun performance of all the players.

This, obviously, is the high level idea. The specifics of standards for firing modes and communicating data to the host computer would have to be worked out. But hey, crazier stuff has been developed.

Worth it? Probably not. I don't think the tournament scene is big enough to justify the extra cost of pulling this off.

kruger
09-15-2006, 03:39 PM
And, not to rain or your parade, but, it wont work. It wont take long for somebody to come up with a program that alters the data that is sent via bluetooth. The player will be able to send any data that he wants to the judges. The only way to monitor this kind of thing is to have the tourny's provide the guns that the players use. That is the only way to make sure that legal guns are being used. Electronics are a blessing and a curse in the paintball marker. If you can program it, it can be cheated.

Chronobreak
09-15-2006, 03:54 PM
think its alreayd been discussed

theyr are bluetooth hoppers, but i dont think they worked out too well.

if i recall bluetooth doesnt have seperate channels and operates on one waveband, but i could be wrong. that would make it difficult to distingush players

SCpoloRicker
09-15-2006, 06:19 PM
kruger raises the easiest, most enforcable, and most practical solution.

Unfortunately, that would kill marker sales. So, uh, sorry but that ain't gonna happen. :(

cyrus-the-virus
09-15-2006, 06:30 PM
think its alreayd been discussed

there are bluetooth hoppers, but i dont think they worked out too well.

if i recall bluetooth doesnt have seperate channels and operates on one waveband, but i could be wrong. that would make it difficult to distingush players

Link?

SR_matt
09-15-2006, 06:31 PM
it has been talked about, to pin point players they would lock on like you do with a phone, the multiple recievers would work like GPS and pin point the player on the field

it would work for a while but i think it might get messed up liek was siad by false info getting passed.
-matt

Chronobreak
09-15-2006, 07:17 PM
cyrus, when i reply to a forum i am henceforth subscribed, and will recieve all replys

if i do not use large abnormal text please do not do so yourself. :nono:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=200998&highlight=bluetooth

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197985&highlight=bluetooth

also more threads

a simple search "bluetooth" yielded those results :ninja:

Hexis
09-15-2006, 09:20 PM

Bluetooth operates in the 2.4GHz range, like many consumer devices. Since this area is pretty noisy wint interferance Bluetooth uses FHSS (Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum) so it's able to handle a lot of interferance in the air. There are many other problems using bluetooth to "secure" markers brings up, even if they are read only devices. The simple truth is that if you trust the software on the marker, you have already lost. Somone can easliy write software that will provide whatevve data they want to the monitor, and make it look like the gun is legal. A simple way to do it would be to report every trigger pull as a firing, then apply whatever ramping logic you want to speed things up.

Perhaps an external monitoring device. I'm not sure this is possible, but how cool would a mini chrono that measured speed and bps and transmitted that to a central monitor? Each could have a unique address so there would be no need for GPS. This kind of tech would only be worthwhile in very large tournements. Something sealed so it could not be tampered with.

SR_matt
09-16-2006, 06:57 AM
^^^ just make little boxes that attach to the barrels and count the bps if u can make them chronos and keep them small/light as well cool but the counter is gona be able to be uber small, then run BT from that even. players show up to the field, get a counter attached, play, come off get it removed. mimimal time to tamper with it and if it is a closed box they cant really get into it to mess with anythign anyway.
-matt

mobsterboy
09-17-2006, 07:47 PM
^^^ just make little boxes that attach to the barrels and count the bps if u can make them chronos and keep them small/light as well cool but the counter is gona be able to be uber small, then run BT from that even. players show up to the field, get a counter attached, play, come off get it removed. mimimal time to tamper with it and if it is a closed box they cant really get into it to mess with anythign anyway.
-matt

I guess me starting a thread a couple months ago about this exact topic was just be being too sophisticated and ahead of the game for everyone else... or it just now hit everyone that my idea was actually halfway decent. Who knows :ninja:

cyrus-the-virus
09-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Do we have to use bluetooth? Is there somthing less complicate or better out yet?

SR_matt
09-17-2006, 08:15 PM
bluetooth is simple and works fine for this (seeing as there would easily be multiple bluetooth recievers around the field)
-matt

Danimal82
09-17-2006, 08:36 PM
What if the Air supply was standardized for all players? Then maybe they could incorporate a wireless moniter in the regulator to keep track of recharge rates. Maybe some on could build a small wireless chrono that would fix on everyones gun barrel. It wouldn't have to send anything wirelessly, just store the highest numbers and get checked for penalties.

Arstron
09-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Wouldnt it be simpler with less cheating to equip a hopper with a set of eyes and board to count the bps the hopper is feeding at, that could then be sent wirelessly to a judge that could monitor it. With pretty much every electronic gun having eyes, if a hopper is feeding at 15 bps, then you know the gun isnt shooting over that.