PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for AGD.

Butterfingers
12-27-2001, 04:45 AM
The battary pack on the e-mag looks like 14 AAA rechargable 1.2 volt batteries packed together in a battary pack. Producing 16.8 volts.

So why not sell battary holders that will hold 12 AAA 1.5 volt alkaline batteries producing 18 volts. This way we would have the option of using disposable batteries.

It wouldent be too hard I think. All you would need are two insulated plastic plates. The bottom plate would link batteries across from each other, the top plate would hold the two connection terminals and link the batteries next to each other. So that we have a very nice series circut. The connection pressure would be provided by the use of the cover plate on the foregrip/battary pack and the use of spacers.

It would give an alternative to people who have bum battery packs, need a quick change, or neglected to charge up.

The reason I bring this up is because I have soldered together my own battery pack using alkaline batteries in efforts to produce a functional e-mag in time for christmas, and until the defective battary pack gets replaced. So far so good. Dont worry, all conections were double insulated and double checked to insure the integrity of the battary pack.

What I have found is that so far the alkaline batteries seem to have a higher endurance than NiMH packs. 5000 shots later it is still putting out more than 17.5 volts.

Ill keep you guys posted on futher developments.

AGD
12-27-2001, 04:50 AM
Butter,

Yes your idea will work, they are just expensive to use on a regular basis.

AGD

CleenSweep
12-27-2001, 10:44 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but, doesn't the E-mag use memory free rechargable batteries. This would give them a longer recharge life unlike most rechargeable batteries that must be ran dry before recharging. To me, that is a whole lot better than buying bulk packs of AAA's.

Butterfingers
12-27-2001, 06:21 PM
But it would give the option of using disposable batteries for those who "forgot" to charge up, have a malfunctioning battery pack/charger or otherwise cannot or choose not to use the rechargable battary pack.

I completed the endurance testing today, verdict it sucks. 8000 shots max from 12 AAA alkalines. Yes you are better with the stock battary pack.

Nitroduck
12-27-2001, 08:00 PM
Just wondering....But why not put a rechargable Lithium Ion battery in a Emag? I know they are expensive, but I think it'd be a cool option =)

Russ
12-27-2001, 08:15 PM
Why not put a sub-miniature atomic reactor in the battery housing that would not need replacement for 10,000 years?

Have it power the gun, a warp feed, an agitating loader, the fan in my goggles and a portable cooler (I get thirsy sometimes) :eek:

Oh, and can you drop the price of the E-Mags by a few hundred bucks, too :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TheBigRaguPB4L
12-27-2001, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Russ
Why not put a sub-miniature atomic reactor in the battery housing that would not need replacement for 10,000 years?

Have it power the gun, a warp feed, an agitating loader, the fan in my goggles and a portable cooler (I get thirsy sometimes) :eek:

Oh, and can you drop the price of the E-Mags by a few hundred bucks, too :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hahahahah ahhaahah, nice. you forgot the infared goggles with heads up display. that would be cool.

Butterfingers
12-28-2001, 07:46 AM
I tested the alkaline battary pack I made that ran out of power it was still outputting 16.5 volts. The eletronics flashed LOW BATT I assume this is not enough power to trip the solenoid.

I conclude NiMH batteries have a flatter output curve than alkalines and can sustain higher voltages for longer.

Either that or somthing is wrong with my e-mag that is making it not trip the sear at 16.5 volts.