PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good first car?

Pyroboy597
09-19-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm about to get my first car, and this is the one I like the most out of what I've seen online and in person. I know Honda's are good cars, and I am not concerned with the gas consumption (it is mid-range, 23 combined I believe).

It is Automatic, 4X4. 78k miles on it, 2000 Honda CR-V SE. It has ABS and side airbags, and has a 4-cyl engine (cheaper for insurance, which is good).

http://images.cars.com/actual/main/DMI/4948/44482.jpg

Almost $12,000 before haggling.

:clap: or :nono:

PyRo
09-19-2006, 06:15 PM
I'd get some cheap POS. Half of us or better will smack up a car within the first couple years of driveing..

Lohman446
09-19-2006, 06:17 PM
I would not consider a small SUV a good first car. Be aware of required maintenance on it was well - I'm specifically wondering on the timing belt interval on that engine.

SUVs pose there own driving styles that are not forgiving. Couple that to a short, high wheel base, and it does not make an ideal first car, at all. Four wheel drive, from what I have seen, has only served to help get young drivers in trouble off road and give them a false sense of security on road.

/The truth, not what you wanted to hear, so I expect to hear a multitude of reasons why I am wrong. I'm not. Your money, do what you want.

Pyroboy597
09-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Actually not my money, my parents money. I pay for insurance and gas. There isn't really anywhere to off-road around here, and CR-V's are not ideal for that anyway (believe me, at first I wanted a Wrangler, but I convinced myself maybe next time when I am older). I agree with the unforgiving driving, but the only things I have ever driven (I have had my permit for almost a year) are my mom's minivan and my dad's Lexus RX330, so it's what I am used to. The thing I am concerned about is maintainance, but the dealer is 2 miles away.

Aside from all that, is it a car that will last a decent length of time? (It is hard to buy a piece of junk first car around here because maybe 70% of the kids that are old enough drive to school, more than a dozen in 40k+ cars.)

It is either that or a Honda Civic type car, and everyone has one of them (for obvious reasons) so I am trying to go a different path.

Steelrat
09-19-2006, 06:48 PM
I'd say it's a great first car. The CRVs have very car-like driving characteristics, and the engine has adequate power, but not enough that you'd want to do burn-outs at every stoplight. And it's not 4X4, its an all wheel drive system, intended strickly for very light off road use and driving in snow/rain.

The CRV has a very large front seat area and second row, so it's great for hauling people around too.

As for the timing belt, I looked at the service schedule for the 2000 crv, and didn't see it listed at any point up to 150,000 miles. You can just open the manual on the one you are looking at and check out what it has to say about it.

The CRVs were pretty bulletproof. Read up on the comments of owners on edmunds, the people who bought used ones have been happy with their reliability.

Pyroboy597
09-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Consumer Reports gave the CR-V either Excellent or Above Average for all 20 or so fields of their review for reliability, but they did that for most Honda's. Like I said there isn't anywhere to do real off-road driving around here anyway accept at the farm I work at, and believe me, seeing a farm where I live to from the point of view of outsiders must be really strange.

maxama10
09-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Heh, I love my Wrangler. Though, if theres no where to off road, not much point as far as I can see. Plus Gas milage sucks...

My neighbor has A CRV same color too. They seem to like it...

Seems like an alright car to me.

PumpPlayer
09-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Every teenager wants a Jeep.

My first car was a 1982 Volvo diesel wagon. It put out maybe 60 horses but got an easy 40+ MPG. Heavy mother with triple-thick fenders. Thing was built like a tank. Had a novelty horn that played the cavalry charge and if you downshifted and gunned the engine uphill, it'd put out a thick cloud of black smoke from the tailpipe. Gotta love that diesel. Perfect for the a-hole in the convertible tailgating you because you can only go 20 MPH up such a steep hill. Fastest I ever got it to go was 76 MPH and that was on a downhill stretch of highway with a truck in front of me. I could fit upwards of 14 people in it for slurpee runs during band camp. Perfect 'beginner' car.

Heck, I'm an engineer now and make all sorts of coin. I still drive a beat-up station wagon although now it's a Ford Taurus '94 model. I paid $1000 for it a year ago when it had ~135k on the clock. It's the best car I've ever owned. There's no sense spending money on a car in my book. $12k for ANYTHING is outrageous IMO. And I won't bother getting into what I think of parents who buy their kids cars...

Skip the dealerships and pick up the paper. Station wagons have the cheapest insurance rates with minivans just following. Of the two, wagons usually get better fuel economy. A 4-door should be a consideration as well, though I prefer wagons because of the added storage/seating space. Old model wagons rule on trips to the PB field because you can pile all sorts of gear in them and you don't care if they get dirty. Generally, you don't want anything manufactured within the past 8 years or so - too expensive. Lastly, remember that there's no reason to pay for performance above what the speed limit is.

Of course, if you'd rather let mommy and daddy buy you a car... just get whatever you want.

Pyroboy597
09-20-2006, 02:16 PM
12k is more than my parents would spend, so I would be chipping in a few grand. Insurance for a teenage boy in NJ is around $2700, much more than anywhere else in the area.

PyRo
09-20-2006, 02:22 PM
12k is more than my parents would spend, so I would be chipping in a few grand. Insurance for a teenage boy in NJ is around $2700, much more than anywhere else in the area.
Yup, $20 more than mine was when I started driving in NY.

Steelrat
09-20-2006, 02:35 PM

Wow, that insurance is brutal :eek:

One BIG thing I was thinking about was the price on the car. According to edmunds.com, that car, from a dealer, is worth about $8000 if it's in average condition. $12000 is WAY too much for it. It MIGHT be worth a bit more if it's a honda certified used car, but otherwise...

fire1811
09-20-2006, 02:54 PM
I'd get some cheap POS. Half of us or better will smack up a car within the first couple years of driveing..

SO very true.

Get a pile because more then likely that's what your first call will turn out to be.

Army
09-20-2006, 03:09 PM
12K for a 6 year old car? You can do better.

Checked blue book on the east coast; in EXCELLENT condition, it would top at $11,000. I would suggest starting the haggle well below that, or shop elsewhere.

Altimas
09-20-2006, 03:24 PM
And just remember!! Almost everyone wrecks their first car!

I didnt actually wreck my first car but when I saved up enough money to buy my second and much newer car I had a deer jump in front of me 3 days after i bought it.

:tard:

Lohman446
09-20-2006, 03:30 PM
First car = SUV = two weeks :) = Totalled

Second car = SUV = 7 years = 1 accident

WenULiVeUdiE
09-20-2006, 03:34 PM

Where in NJ are you? I know of only a few towns in which the majority of teenagers would drive such expensive cars.

Pyroboy597
09-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Cherry Hill. I would be very suprised if that was not in your handful of towns. It is in Camden County, South NJ.

12k is the listed price, I have a good friend who's dad worked with one of the sales associates there for years, and he said he could probably drop the price to 10 without too much trouble. The car comes with a Honda Warranty and has been inspected by their mechanics. There are no scratches or dents in it, and the interior is very clean.

It is still a long adventure, looking around trying to find what I want that meets what my parents want.

Steelrat
09-20-2006, 04:31 PM
It's a good car. I'd be happy buying one of those for my kids.

maxama10
09-20-2006, 05:25 PM
off topic but when i was about 7 i lived in Hamilton Square...anyone know it?

Pyroboy597
09-20-2006, 05:38 PM
I am assuming you mean it was in NJ? I have heard of it, but I do not know where it is.

maxama10
09-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Yeah in NJ. Hmm its close to Trenton. I remember going to cherry hill to go to the mall there once or twice.

kosmo
09-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Dude, get an 88 Z28 Camaro or something of the like. Dirt cheap, incredibly obnoxious, and you can beat the crap out of it without caring about what your crappy car looks like.

WenULiVeUdiE
09-20-2006, 07:15 PM
off topic but when i was about 7 i lived in Hamilton Square...anyone know it?

Yeah, I have been there. I have no idea why, but I have been there.

Cherry Hill. I would be very suprised if that was not in your handful of towns. It is in Camden County, South NJ.

You are actually pretty far from me. I am about 2 hours North/Northeast of you. I am right on the edge of Somerset and Hunterdon County; 30 minutes north of Princeton.

/highjacking of thread my Jersey guys
//Pennsylvania drivers are horrible in Jersey

Pyroboy597
09-20-2006, 07:27 PM
///Yanks are even worse.

Pyroboy597
09-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Yeah in NJ. Hmm its close to Trenton. I remember going to cherry hill to go to the mall there once or twice.

It is about 40 minutes or so south west of trenton, very close to Philly (about 15 minutes to the Ben Franklin bridge)

Al_Steel
09-20-2006, 08:06 PM
It's a horrible first car but not because the car itself is bad. Here's why... you start out life with an expensive depreciating asset that will be worth absolutely nothing in 5 years. In that time you will be in debt and paying full coverage insurance (which is silly high for a young male driver) on a used car.

Here's what you SHOULD do. Have your parents give you the $2000.00 you will need for the down payment and open up an IRA or investment account. Then have your parents contribute the same amount they would have for a 3 year, $8000.00 loan (including interest) to that account for the same amount of time. In the interim save some money and buy a junker for around $1000.00. If you are 16 now, in 3 years you will have $12000.00 in the bank and a GREAT head start financially over your peers. I really just shake my head when I see some kid driving a $20k car and then they boast that they paid for it all themselves. :rolleyes: They'd be a lot better off driving a $2k car and putting that money in the bank. But as every wise old man will tell you, youth is wasted on the young.

Additionally, if you get an investment account and you do well with it you could have lots more than $12000.00. Take that money and put a down payment on your first home (preferrably a multi-family unit so you can rent out half and let that pay for most or all of the mortgage). Then at or around age 22 you will have your first home which will likely only appreciate in value. Then you can leverage the equity in that home to buy investment property. Play your cards right and you could be financially independant by 40 or earlier!

OTOH an IRA with a value of $12000.00 at age 22 will be worth ummm.. about $750,000 (using the rule of thumb that it will double every 7 years) when you retire if you just sit on it.

That's my advice... if I had it all to do over again that is EXACTLY what I would do. But I'm 20 years behind the curve and am only now waking up to my mistake. TIME is your best financial asset right now, don't squander it on BS like cars and flatscreen TV's. I know it's tough to see right now, but in 20 years from now when the Honda is a distant memory and you are driving the car of your choosing you'll be a LOT happier. It sure beats working at Wal-Mart at age 70.

But other than that... sure it's a nice car. ;)

Pyroboy597
09-20-2006, 08:31 PM
The only problem with that is that this car has to last through me and my sister, and thus cannot be a junker that is intended to be replaced in three years. I will have this car until 2009 and she will have it after that. My parents are concerned with safety, and like that you can get a car with side air bags and ABS for a little bit more. If they were to just give me 12 grand and tell me to do something with it, I would invest it or just throw it into an account that gains interest and let it sit, maybe put it in bonds since I won't need it for a little while.

Any car we buy will be bought in cash (paid for in full), no financing or lease.

I am already saving for MY first car (this one I guess could be called a third family car for a family with only three drivers, aka it's mine to use) which I hope to get maybe junior year of college.

Pyroboy597
09-20-2006, 08:40 PM
If you are 16 now, in 3 years you will have $12000.00 in the bank and a GREAT head start financially over your peers. I really just shake my head when I see some kid driving a $20k car and then they boast that they paid for it all themselves. :rolleyes:

I'm going to guess that 70% of my town is Jewish. Out of that 70%, maybe 50% has a Bar/Bat Mitzvah in which they get 15k+ for a car from family/friends. If I wanted to compete with some of my peers, an Audi TT wouldn't even do. I would guess that the average year of a car in my highschool parking lot is 2002, just based on looking at them. There are a few 2007's, including a Mercedes SLK (might actually be a 2006) and a Nissan Z.

warbeak2099
09-20-2006, 08:44 PM
That's a great first car. It's cheap and easy to maintain, doesn't break, decent on gas for its class, easy to drive, etc. I'd go for it if you can afford it. I got stuck with a domestic simply because I couldn't afford a Honda. I wish I couldv'e gotten a civic or something. Domestic cars are money pits.

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
09-20-2006, 08:54 PM
I personaly wouldn't go the SUV route for your first car. Granted you have 1 yr of driving expirence which is not enough. Buy a car, remember learn to crawl before you walk ecspecially before you get behind a SUV.

SUV's handle alot different then a car, van, jeep, or truck with their body roll that tend them to be top heavy vs. the other four.

Personally I'd look at a jeep 4 banger. A its a proven design. B 4cyc are extremly good gas savers. C if you want to have fun take the top off during summer. D if you like working on cars or what not jeep 4 bangers are easy to work/learn on.

Pyroboy597
09-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Not too interested in working on my car, although when I did want a Wrangler that was one thing I considered a plus. The CR-V is a 4 cyl. and I have never driven a sedan in my life. :dance:

PyRo
09-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Who gives a damn what your friends are driveing. I went to a private school where most people were getting expensive cars or at the very least a new civic or somthing when they got their license. When I was 17 and got my license I had about $16,000 of my own money (earned, not given) I could have spent on a car.

What did I buy? I got a Ford Expolder for 1k that I drove for six months I sold that for about twice what I paid for it.
Then I bought a camaro for 2k which I drove for about a year. I got into two accidents then a third one totaled the car fortunatly I was rear-ended in the the 2nd accident and the guys insurance paid out twice what I paid for the car.
Then I bought a grand cherokee for $3500 and spent another $800 fixing things that were broken/missing. That was a mistake. I sold it after about six months and lost about $1,000 in the process.
Then I bought another Camaro for $2k which I drove about a year and a half (to be fair I probably have $800 of misc work into it). That's still sitting in my driveway. A tree fell on it recently and my neighbors insurance company wrote me a 2k check and let me keep the car. I'm thinking about makeing a Camaro General Lee out of it.
Then I bought a Wrangler for $1,000 (most fun of any car I've had) which I drove about four months. That's still sitting in my driveway as well.
Then I bought a pickup truck for $1,000 I've been driveing about a month now. I needed the truck for the space (Wranglers have none) and the towing capacity (Wranglers can't tow).

My $1,000 truck will do anything that CRV will and some. All that money I could have spend on a car is now money in the bank. It could be part of a downpayment on a house, it could be for a retirement fund, etc. Point being I can drive anywhere that CRV can and have a decent chunk of money still in my pocket.

PyRo
09-20-2006, 09:56 PM
Not too interested in working on my car, although when I did want a Wrangler that was one thing I considered a plus. The CR-V is a 4 cyl. and I have never driven a sedan in my life. :dance:
Get interested in working on your own car. Then buy some simple Rwd or 4wd car. I can't imagine how many thousands of dollars I've saved doing my own work. $250 for a brake job I can do for $40? $600 for a $125 clutch? $200 for a $40 tuneup? No thanks.

VFX_Fenix
09-20-2006, 10:27 PM
http://www.crtropicalrentacar.com/images/nissan-d21.jpg

There's your first car, enjoy :cool:

skife
09-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Get interested in working on your own car. Then buy some simple Rwd or 4wd car. I can't imagine how many thousands of dollars I've saved doing my own work. $250 for a brake job I can do for $40? $600 for a $125 clutch? $200 for a $40 tuneup? No thanks.

agreed.

pyro, post pics of that camaro that you ran into a tree.
i never get sick of seeing that thing.

Al_Steel
09-21-2006, 11:07 AM
I'm going to guess that 70% of my town is Jewish. Out of that 70%, maybe 50% has a Bar/Bat Mitzvah in which they get 15k+ for a car from family/friends. If I wanted to compete with some of my peers, an Audi TT wouldn't even do. I would guess that the average year of a car in my highschool parking lot is 2002, just based on looking at them. There are a few 2007's, including a Mercedes SLK (might actually be a 2006) and a Nissan Z.

OMFG, if someone was to have given me 15K at 15 I'd be independantly wealthy right now. :wow: (I'm working on it just taking a little longer than expected) :(

$2000.00 can buy you a decent car if you look around. 90's Civics, Toyota Corollas, Nissan Altimas, etc. can all be had for that amount. They are all reliable and fairly safe cars too. I have a friend with a 96 Corolla that has 200K miles on it and it runs great. Only thing he has replaced is brakes, muffler, tires, and timing belts.

Lot's of kids in my school drove newer cars but I never felt inferior just cuz mine was almost 8 years old. It ran good and got me where I needed to go. :D

skife
09-21-2006, 02:48 PM
my grand am would have lasted me if i wouldn't have driven it through water.
stupid me
200100 on the clock when i drown it.

PyRo
09-21-2006, 03:09 PM
agreed.

pyro, post pics of that camaro that you ran into a tree.
i never get sick of seeing that thing.
Here is the camaro I ran into a tree:

And here is the one I ran into a telephone poll:
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/6720/mywreckedcamarord0.jpg
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/6456/smallmycarcopyww6.jpg

Grey Goose
09-21-2006, 06:50 PM
man if you are looking for a car for that length of time, i would buy a 5 speed toyota or honda car, or a lightly used scion xb. getting the 5 speed helps in 3 ways; they're cheaper, you learn to drive a manual, and they get better gas mileage. i would think you could score an 04 scion xb 5sp in that price range w/ under 50K pretty easily.

Pyroboy597
09-21-2006, 07:01 PM
man if you are looking for a car for that length of time, i would buy a 5 speed toyota or honda car, or a lightly used scion xb. getting the 5 speed helps in 3 ways; they're cheaper, you learn to drive a manual, and they get better gas mileage. i would think you could score an 04 scion xb 5sp in that price range w/ under 50K pretty easily.

The xB is the fugliest car ever made. I have driven stick, and prefer automatic. I considered a Hyundai Sonate because they come with Automatic and "Manual" where you can switch between.

BuyMyMag
09-21-2006, 08:30 PM
MUCH nicer then my first car. I paid $1k for my first rust bucket. I guess that gives you an idea of how nice it was. It didn't have A/C.

PyRo
09-21-2006, 10:17 PM
getting the 5 speed helps in 3 ways; they're cheaper, you learn to drive a manual, and they get better gas mileage. i would think you could score an 04 scion xb 5sp in that price range w/ under 50K pretty easily.
Don't forget when you blow the tranny 9 times out of 10 the manual is cheaper to rebuild.

PyRo
09-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Hyundai Sonate because they come with Automatic and "Manual" where you can switch between.
I've never seen the car so I can't speak with absolute certainty. Most likely though it's a clutchless manual which doesn't count.

maxama10
09-21-2006, 11:22 PM
is that like shift on the go type-a-thing?

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
09-22-2006, 12:34 AM
Pyroboy - not telling you how to live you life but "keep it simple keep it stupid" those options are nice but its going to break sometime and just makes you pay more.

Pyro - nice wreak next time I need something destoryied I'm calling you speaking of which I got a couple of I got a skid steer and a Stihl O66 Magnum and a couple of big dead oaks to take care of. LOL :)

mcdkid
09-25-2006, 09:21 PM
it has been said, but volvo is a good way to go. my first wa a 940 turbo. a pretty quick little tank. great on gas, and is cheap it self.

Lohman446
09-25-2006, 09:48 PM
The xB is the fugliest car ever made. I have driven stick, and prefer automatic. I considered a Hyundai Sonate because they come with Automatic and "Manual" where you can switch between.

Right, but if the computer senses too high of RPMs it shifts for you regardless of your input. So its a "feel good 'manual'" at best.

Pyroboy597
09-25-2006, 10:29 PM
Went for a test drive with my dad saturday, and they sold BOTH CR-Vs in our price range Friday afternoon. I think I am going to stick with like an '03 civic.

Grey Goose
09-25-2006, 11:07 PM
I have driven stick, and prefer automatic..

Uhhhh... yeah... most people do. That's one reason they cost more.

maxama10
09-26-2006, 07:07 AM
Hmmm, most people I know like manuals better after having driven them... there are a few though who would rather have the auto for ease.

sbpyro
09-27-2006, 03:37 PM
Hmmm, most people I know like manuals better after having driven them... there are a few though who would rather have the auto for ease.

Manuals are great except for the gridlock traffic.

My suggestion find corolla or a civic and spend about 2 grand on it. Start saving as much as you can because college ain't cheap and buying your first house is definately not cheap.

Pyroboy597
09-27-2006, 06:45 PM
I know your going to hate me, but I am not paying for college either. :ninja:

skife
09-28-2006, 01:19 PM
I know your going to hate me, but I am not paying for college either. :ninja:

wish i was that lucky
20k for college
more money for a car.

Pyroboy597
10-06-2006, 06:27 AM
Got a 2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS.