PDA

View Full Version : Mainspring affect velocity?

jester_s1
09-23-2006, 04:40 PM
It doesn't seem like it should, but my velocity went down on my 68 classic when I stretched out the mainspring to make it tighter. Can the tension there affect velocity or should I just keep a better eye on the velocity adjuster?

st6212
09-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Yes, the length of the mainspring will affect velocity. You just need to dial up the velocity adjuster to compensate for the velocity drop.

SR_matt
09-24-2006, 07:47 PM
by pulling on it it gets lengthened, and there for will take more to push it down to the same size as before. it will probably bend back over time but u will get lower fps for a while from it

-matt

athomas
09-25-2006, 06:40 PM
It definately changes the characteristics of the valve because it affects how long the powertube is open and allows air to flow.

jester_s1
09-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Well that makes sense. The bolt goes back in sooner, leaving less time for the air to come out and accelerate the ball. Thanks.

jester_s1
09-28-2006, 05:20 PM
One more newb question: Is it better for efficiency, ball breaks or anything else to run a lighter or heavier spring? I stretched it out because I was getting breech breaks and thought it would soften the blow. But with more pressure need to shoot the gun maybe that's the wrong way to go. Anyone know?

SR_matt
09-28-2006, 05:27 PM
harder main spring = lower efficenty (some what) and softer on paint

first thing to figure out though is if the paint u have is old/just brittle. i went through and adjsuted and swaped springs and all then found out i had bad paint.

-matt