PDA

View Full Version : Paint size

punkncat
09-24-2006, 09:05 AM
I really think its funny to read through posts where people clain that "x" brand of paint is a small/large bore paint. If anything the only thing consistant about paint size is its INconsistancy. From case to case, even bag to bag within a case. Not to mention changes within the same paint regionally.

There is no way that someone in Washington can make a statement about what size a brand of paint is and it be the same in even California. Probably not even the same the next case you buy.

Get over this paint to bore BS, buy a large bore barrel and shoot anything!!!

/end rant

FiXeL
09-24-2006, 09:57 AM
And sacrifice accuracy? Big bore barrels are nice if you want to shoot any paint and don't really care about gas inefficency and accuracy. I can shoot most of my paint with a .689 barrel, and to my understanding that is medium sized. But i must admit i have encountered other paints that were too large to shoot with a .689.

Sizes depend on how it was stored, at what temperatures, what humidity levels, shipping conditions, etc. Also the weather conditions at the field are a factor that should not be overlooked. Most people think that the bags will keep out moist. Well, for all you people that think this - they dont. Even plastic will let through a tiny bit of moist, and ruin your paint size.

Temperature is also a factor. Too cold makes the gelatin too brittle and they will break more easily in the barrel. Too warm they will go through, but you won't be able to hit anything because they bounce off your target.

I rarely have trouble with my paint, most of the times i shoot Draxxus (Procaps) blaze, and these will go nicely through a .689 bore barrel. But, you should store your paint right. When i buy a case, i prefer to stock up on it and take my own paint to the field. Most fields do not allow this, but at the field i play i am allowed to do so. So, storing them in a cool environment is easy and i am able to turn boxes to prevent dimpled paint. Also i lay my bags i am planning to use the next day onto a flat surface, so there is very little weight on the balls, eliminating any dimples that occured while being in the box.

At the field i carry next to a case of paint a .50 cal. ammo box, for opened bags. Keep moist out and you should have no problems. On cold days sometimes the shell becomes to brittle, never store your paint in either direct sunlight, or on the cold ground. The cardbox case should give some isolation from temperature variations, but don't leave it on the ground. If temperatures become that low you break paint in the barrel, step up a size in bore. If that happens, i use a .691 bore and it has worked well for me.

If you have to use field paint, there is not much you can do, except keeping it moist free, and at a decent temperature. Paint is like a baby - store it in conditions that would'nt be harmfull to a baby, and you should be ok. :)

hs2000
09-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Get over this paint to bore BS, buy a large bore barrel and shoot anything!!!

I agree with you 100%, when I played semi I would just use a large bore barrel all the time (with no noticeable loss of any kind) but now that I play only pump I have to worry about the size of paint. Roll outs are a nightmare, and that's one reason a rereleased pump mag would do so well.

warbeak2099
09-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Um, that's why you want multi bores. Every case will be slightly different. So you size each case up with the appropriate bore size. If you're shooting .684 paint through a .692 barrel, you're losing something. If you aren't noticing it, your sensory perception skills are sub normal. Seek help from a neuro-psychologist.

hs2000
09-24-2006, 11:06 AM
...If you aren't noticing it, your sensory perception skills are sub normal. Seek help from a neuro-psychologist.

Yeah, that must be it, I'm blind... anyone who claims to see an increased accuracy from a different bore is full of it. After having used countless barrels and barrel kits, I came to realize it's all hype. Have you ever noticed pro teams that use barrel kits but only ever use the biggest bore?

back2integrity
09-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Yeah, that must be it, I'm blind... anyone who claims to see an increased accuracy from a different bore is full of it. After having used countless barrels and barrel kits, I came to realize it's all hype. Have you ever noticed pro teams that use barrel kits but only ever use the biggest bore?

Well... I'm not much into hype, but I'd have to disagree that certain barrels don't increase/decrease accuracy. I have a beautiful black/red barrel that fits the color scheme of my gun perfectly, but I have absolutely horrible accuracy when I use it. I almost always start the day off with it because it really brings out the compliments. But after a few games of missing easy opportunities for a tag, I reluctantly go and switch out the barrel. I generally have good results with the stock RT Pro barrel and the JT 2 piece, so I'd say that some barrels are definitely worse than others, which inversely means some barrels are better than others.

SR_matt
09-24-2006, 05:01 PM
i have had pretty good luck in very different weather here (VA) with the paint i get beeing consistant. i can almost always shoot chronic in my 689 (i think once i had to go to a 686 cause i was using a cocker so i got a few roll outs one day) maybe its just where you are getting your paint from that treats it like crap so its inconsistant.
-matt

Beemer
09-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Ha Ha
Good thread.

It dont really matter except for gas usage.[air is cheap] I pushed paint past the detent and had it fall out and it shot straight. Too big will be a problem but as was said treat it like a baby. :eek: Keep buying the Hype