PDA

View Full Version : cant make up my mind

ham sammich
09-25-2006, 06:53 PM
hi guys, i have been playing paintball for about a year with electro's, but i want to move into mechanicals. everyone that i know at the local field say to get a mag or a cocker,but no one can tell me why. they just say mags are sweet. not that i am a completely inexperienced, but i never had any experience with a mag. i kind of have my heart set on a marker built by themagsmith.com. what do you guys think of his work, and what marker do you recommend?

thank you much

CKY_Alliance
09-25-2006, 06:59 PM
hi guys, i have been playing paintball for about a year with electro's, but i want to move into mechanicals. everyone that i know at the local field say to get a mag or a cocker,but no one can tell me why. they just say mags are sweet. not that i am a completely inexperienced, but i never had any experience with a mag. i kind of have my heart set on a marker built by themagsmith.com. what do you guys think of his work, and what marker do you recommend?

thank you much
Get a mag...save your self a lot of trouble...only thing to tune on a mag is the lvlX and it can be a pain but once its tuned and broken in you wont have to tune it very often at all....now a cocker, well they can be a P.I.A if you dont know how to work on them so many things can go wrong...

um mags arent the most efficient..but they are light, small, user friendly, durable, easily maintained and very upgradable.

then again get a cocker and you get to watch the back block go back and forth...pretty entertaining if you ask me!
oh if you get a mag make sure you have a high pressure tank..and if its preset make sure it has a good consistant reg.

PS. Cockers are 1337 because they are closed bolt and shoot sooooooooooo much further then a mag..or anygun for that matter..but specially a mag!!! :shooting: *pow* *pow* *pow*

fire1811
09-25-2006, 07:18 PM
If you like a gun you can leave in a gear bag for a year and just pull it out and play get a mag.

If you like to tinker and swap parts out get a cocker.

Both are great makers.

AGD
09-25-2006, 07:32 PM
been playing paintball for about a year with electro's, but i want to move into mechanicals. everyone that i know at the local field say to get a mag or a cocker

Well knock me over with a feather!! There is so much in that statement its making my head spin. Are mechanicals AND Mags back on the "cool list"???

Inquiring minds want to know.... :headbang:

AGD

BigEvil
09-25-2006, 07:34 PM
Well knock me over with a feather!! There is so much in that statement its making my head spin. Are mechanicals AND Mags back on the "cool list"???

AGD

Dont know if they are "Cool", but they are respected - and I bet alot of that has to do with the person shooting it as well as the hardware :shooting:

StygShore
09-25-2006, 07:36 PM
and there he is.... lurkin int he shadows quite a bit lately aren't ya?

Styg

punkncat
09-25-2006, 08:13 PM
and there he is.... lurkin int he shadows quite a bit lately aren't ya?

Styg

QFT

Kinda makes me wonder whats going on in the lab between his ears........

You do realize you asked this on a Mag based forum?

There are many really nice mechanicals out there. Cockers and Mags were the workhorses in years gone by and it would be hard to go wrong with either one. I would be wary about cockers though as it seems parts for mechanicals are getting harder to find. Resale on them is very low so you can get a deal.

Mags on the other hand are easy to get parts for so long as you don't mind "mail order" parts. Lots of good things continuing to be done for mags in the aftermarket and still a strong manufacturer support in AGD.(how many forums solicit answers from the designer and original owner anymore?)

You might also consider looking into some of the other mechanicals available. Tippys and Spyders are still going strong. A well outfitted A5 can be a beast. I had good results with some worked on Spyders back in the day as well.

SR_matt
09-25-2006, 08:29 PM
i like cockers becasue i feel they are softer on paint (the ball gets pushed into the barrel as apposed to slamed in like any open bolt gun). i think all the "o cockers can be a paint" is total bull, cockers are simple, if something is wrong you can see it, they have a very logical operation and are pretty simple to fix.... but they take longer to fix because there is more things to go through to get acess to stuff.

mags are very simple and i think faster to get to parts to fix, now maybe it is becasue i havent been around mags as long but the teching seems to be more wide range (meaning same problem can be casued by many different things as apposed to the cockers that have x problem becasue y is wrong). now mags are not as efficent as a cocker but they are much lighter, smaller and seem easier to aim by feel (single tube is easier to site for me). mags also have the ability to shoot more bps as a mech than a cocker does.

i would rather tune a cocker over a mag but id rather bet money on my shooting with a mag over a cocker and i have owned my mag for less than a month while ive had my cocker for a good 2+ years with a lot of use.

both are awesome markers, cockers are much more individual IMHO but mags are just sexy. if you are more tinkerish get a cocker and tune it to your liking, if not get a prebuilt and pretuned mag and goo to town... but dont use old/brittle paint in ur mag or else you will have a sad face.

-matt

Recon by Fire
09-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Get a Cocker if you like tinkering and fixing, or if you are just mesmorized by the back block :tard: Get a Mag if you want something that is dependable and tough as nails, yet elegant. A refined weapon, a weapon of a Jedi :rofl:

thegrayghost
09-25-2006, 10:09 PM
started with mechanical, worked up to a 03 shocker, no eyes, and decided to go back to mechanical...i am not new to paintball, playing 6 years and at 63 years of age love this game of paintball...i traded some stuff for a level7 mag, basic kinda of, and liked the way that it shot, smooth, straight, accurate...thought about the noids sometime will go bad, didn't need the 17 balls in the shocker for woods ball, so i then decided to trade, even, for my shocker for a mag...what mag do i get...settled on a AutomagRT, Retro Valve, Level10, Emag Rail, Emag site rail, Ule Body, Ultimate Mag Frame, & Boomstick...with the help of lurking in Ao Forum, learned how to do the level 10 tuning with the help of you guys in the Tech Forum...first had to figure out what i needed for kits to keep these markers running, both the level7 & the Ule MagRT...

when i contacted AGD for ordering parts, i told this story to them and they said they passed my story on to staff...you know what, AGD, you have made a great marker that will withstand time...you should be proud of your work...my marker works flawlessly, dont need the high volume, rate of fire...shoots straight, quiet for my style of play...

how fast do you want markers to go? they will have to bottom out on speed, and the Mag will always be the marker that has always been there...thegrayghost...

bentothejam1n
09-25-2006, 10:09 PM
just remember
1k shots=68/45 tank

mobsterboy
09-25-2006, 10:13 PM
i could really go for a chicken sangwich and some hot and tasty french fries...

Lenny
09-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Get a Vector.

If you can find one...
Mag's are nice. Can't really go wrong with them. 'Cockers are nice too, but I've had some bad experiences in the past with them. Either one will shoot, and shoot nicely.

robnix
09-25-2006, 11:50 PM

AGD

Last time I went out, I got stares, then questions, then a 'that's a sweet marker' for both my emag and my custom RT. About two weeks later I noticed that the mag that had been hanging on the wall of that fields proshop for the 9 months I've seen it there finally sold. It was a nice chrome PF body with a blue splash kit, double trigger on an AGD frame, and a classic valve.

Cool? No. BigEvil has it right, respected. Cool is a fad, respected stands the test of time.

pennywise
09-26-2006, 12:09 AM
A refined weapon, a weapon of a Jedi
The Jedi actually approved the AutoMag as their only other training device besides a lightsaber. They said that the Mag actually was very "civilized and elegant".

d4m4don3
09-26-2006, 01:08 AM
The Jedi actually approved the AutoMag as their only other training device besides a lightsaber. They said that the Mag actually was very "civilized and elegant".

You sure it was the Jedi? I coulda sworn yogurt was playing with it and marketing it as idiot proof. :D