PDA

View Full Version : Emag help please

Danimal82
09-25-2006, 07:28 PM
I recently purchased/traded for an emag on the forum and I am having some issues with charging the battery. When it arrived I put it together and the low batt light was flashing. I checked the voltage and it was around 15 volts. I tried to charge it for about 4 hours but the green light never came on. I figured that there had to be enough of a charge to cycle the gun, but still low batt. I asked the seller about this and he told me to leave it on for atleast 9 hours or overnight. Well I hooked it up at night and checked again in the morning still red led and there is still a low batt warning. I decided to check the out put coming out of the wall. It was 14.05v from a 1500mAh charger. I checked the output at the pack charger and it was only reading 4.5 volts out. Is this normal or is my charger shot? If it is does anyone have one for cheap as I just traded a big PSP package and 213 dollars. To put the icing on the cake I just recieved my xmod programmer in the mail today, but can't use it. Help AO!

Thanks guys,
Dan

flyingpootang
09-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Dan, I don't have a multimeter with me, but I can get you the values tomorrow. Until then you might want to check the board mounting screw inside of the left grip pannel. Make sure its snug (not rambo tight) 1/4 turn pass snug. This screw serves as a grounding point also. Also check the screw security of the battery and charger screws...Post your results...

Thanna
09-26-2006, 03:26 PM
I had the same problem. Still does it for me since I have not figured out what's wrong. As a temporary solution though, I unplug my charger every hour and plug it back in for about 4-5 times. That seems to work for me.

Danimal82
09-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Update: Still having the same problem. I checked the connections at the board, batterypack, and charger everything appears to be tight and free of corrosion. The battery pack is still reading 15.5v and the lo batt light is still flashing. Does anyone know at what voltage this light is activated? Also the charger is still only putting 4.5 volts out. When I checked the battery voltage while charging and it was actually a little less than static voltage. Is a new charger my best bet?

Danimal82
09-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Can someone please measure the output of their emag charger and let me know. Thanks,
-Dan

Tunaman
09-27-2006, 09:34 PM
The emag charger should output around 26+ volts. The gun wont function much below 17.75 volts.

flyingpootang
09-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Sorry for the delay I couldn't find my meter. I have 4 chargers and the voltage outputs are 25.4, 26.4, 26.5, and 26.6.

11 Bravo
09-28-2006, 11:59 PM
You dont have the car charger that comes with Emags? If you are using a wall charger, maybe its the wrong kind.

Danimal82
09-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Thanks guys, I'm going to say that the charger is toast. I have the radio shack 12v 1500mah converter hooked up to the charger and it only puts out 4.5v. I don't have polarity wrong (tip +). The guy I traded with is really cool and he said he would replace it if I send it to him. Thanks for all the help.

-Dan

Danimal82
09-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Does anyone know how the charger takes 10-15v and turns it into 26v? Is there a step up transformer in there? The guy I traded with is askingme and I have no clue.
Thanks
-Dan

LinearGoose
10-05-2006, 12:56 AM
When you put the charger and let the battery sit does it get warm after a while? Also when you touch both of the screws does the light turn red? You said the output was around 15 or so volts. This sounds really simular to a problem I was having with my charger. It sounds like one of your Resistor is burnt out. Test it with the volt meter to make sure your getting current out of it. I went to radio shack and bought a 1k-Ohm or resistor for it. I know someone said it was suppost to be a 1-Ohm resistor but the 1k one worked perfectly till i decided to make my charger look nice and thats where i screwed it up by having an accedent with the board. I recomend just sending it to Tuna and have him fix it for you or if you know someone who can solder and tell you for sure its a resistor then do it. Also does the resistor look black or something like as if it got burn.
Pic of what a resistor:

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/4523/1kohmresistorkw9.jpg

Sorry but dont have any of a burned one but I think you can notice if it is.

Danimal82
10-05-2006, 02:03 PM
I haven't noticed the battery getting warm. The light does turn red when I touch both of the screws. The output from the charger as measured screw to screw is only 4.5 volts. The resistor in the charger does look burned and I can't measure resistance. I guess its burned up. I'll have to make a trip to radio shack. Thanks for the info.
-Dan

LinearGoose
10-05-2006, 03:20 PM
I would also pm Tuna. He can help you out. He was going to try and fix my charger till i decided to do it myself and screw it up.

Danimal82
10-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Well I replaced the burned resistor with a new 1 ohm resistor, and it seems to be charging. Funny thing is the mag was reading low battery and the noid barely clicked at 15.3 volts after hooking up to the charger the light was green in 15 minutes. So I tried it and the gun is working now. Should it have charged that quickly. I measured 19.2 volts after around 15 minutes on the charger when the light turned green. I know if a car battery takes a charge really fast it usually falls on its face and its toast. Also, I noticed after dry firing my emag that a copper insert in the solenoid is coming out of the top. Is this normal? It definetly doesn't look normal. This thing just keeps costing more and more. Thanks for all the help goose.

-Dan

flyingpootang
10-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Dan,
A slight amount of copper showing around the rim is normal althiugh it souldn't seperate. Usally it takes me 1-2 hours to get a full charge on a battery. I really think you should send the charger, and cord to Tuna and let him fix it. Be sure to mention that you changed the resistor..

Tuna's email: tunaman5@comcast.net

LinearGoose
10-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Yeah man no problem.I was going through the same thing and it was hard getting a response. Hope everything works out good.

Danimal82
10-07-2006, 10:03 AM
The copper is sticking out almost a centimeter and its loose, I can push it back into the solenoid but it doesnt go all the way. It looks like its falling apart. Is that just a bushing to seperate the windings from the plunger?
-Dan

Tunaman
10-08-2006, 07:11 AM
You cant have that insert loose in there. The solenoid is shot.

Danimal82
10-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Great, now the solenoid is shot. Thats another 40 bucks. The solenoid still works, but firing is pretty inconsistant past 8bps. It could be my on/off sticking. It starts chuffing and wont cycle completely. Man I'm starting to regret my purchase. Thanks again to all of you guys who have been a great help.

-Dan