PDA

View Full Version : Question bout mech guns

fullofpaint
09-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Sp I want to pick up a nice mech gun, prollbaly either a cocker or Mag, so I can play semi but not have to worry bout my paint bill.

My dad owns a Longbow-style mag and I love the trigger and feel of the gun, I've stripped it back down to a basic mag and find it wicked comfy and easy to use.

My question is this: How does a nicely tuned cocker trigger feel compared to a mag? Only mech cocker I've ever shot is my ancient signle trigger slider frame that I hate. I love the feel of a mag's is it possible to duplicate this on a cocker?

Pneumagger
09-25-2006, 09:25 PM
I like the WGP swing frames... and they will shoot finen for awhile... but it will need tuned eventually.

I say go with a mag fro you for maintence freeness and you seeming relatively new. It's less prone to climate changes, and has infinate upgradability. It wll outlast the cocker too in most owners hands and is always reliable.

But to be safe, I'll have to say just get an ego.

geekwarrior
09-25-2006, 09:34 PM
I like the WGP swing frames... and they will shoot finen for awhile... but it will need tuned eventually.

I say go with a mag fro you for maintence freeness and you seeming relatively new. It's less prone to climate changes, and has infinate upgradability. It wll outlast the cocker too in most owners hands and is always reliable.

But to be safe, I'll have to say just get an ego.

lol...whats with all the ego plugs lately?

Recon by Fire
09-25-2006, 10:10 PM
An adjusted WGP trigger can be nice and short but still won't be as fast as a Mag. At least that's my experience from having both.

Lenny
09-25-2006, 10:46 PM
What!!?!!11! How can you hate sliders? I love them!

Anywho, go with the 'Mag. You won't be disappointed. I've owned two 'Cockers in my life, and though they shot very well, but I spent just as long fixing them as I did playing with them. 'Cockers are definately a tinkerer's gun.

Anywho, either one will shoot great for you, it's just how much time you want to put into tuning it.

P.S. - RT Valves are GREAT! I never believed the hype until I bought one. The difference is remarkable! Make sure you get one at some point in time!

P.P.S. - I think Pneumagger's been that way since he shot one at the AO-Ohio mini-meet. It did shoot really nicely, though. Incomparable to any other electro out there.

Pneumagger
09-25-2006, 11:42 PM
i say get an ego to mock people. Ever troll around PBN. Everyon'es advice for people to get better is "to get an ego" :rolleyes:

if I had a spare $400 i might buy an '05 ego if I could find a steal. But this new AKA machinegun is really tickling my fancy. Although, once you drycycle @ 30+ BPS, it's really not that exciting anymore...PHYCHE!! :rofl: :headbang: :shooting:

fullofpaint
09-26-2006, 02:16 PM
bah ego's My dm6 kills your ego :shooting:

anyways, yea I was already leaning toward the mag jsut wanted to hear other people's opninon's.

punkncat
09-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Tuning the trigger on a cocker is a fine balance between the knowledge to time it right and the selection of the parts to acheive your desired feel. For lightness you have to adjust your sear (up) and have it running with the lightest hammer spring possible.The farther down the sear is the longer and harder the pull will be, up to a point of course. Too far and it becomes inoperable. For travel you have to have a short 3 way. Slider frames will have a shorter travel than a hinge, but will require more pull weight.

I always liked to set mine up really short but a slightly high pull weight. That way it was harder to short stroke. The strength required to release the sear was enough to ensure full travel of the trigger.

Frames with stops are especially handy for close timing of a cocker. I prefered Dye hinges to anything else.

ArtemisClydeFrog
09-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Sp I want to pick up a nice mech gun, prollbaly either a cocker or Mag, so I can play semi but not have to worry bout my paint bill.

My dad owns a Longbow-style mag and I love the trigger and feel of the gun, I've stripped it back down to a basic mag and find it wicked comfy and easy to use.

My question is this: How does a nicely tuned cocker trigger feel compared to a mag? Only mech cocker I've ever shot is my ancient signle trigger slider frame that I hate. I love the feel of a mag's is it possible to duplicate this on a cocker?

First, Devils Advocate, every (real, not spdyer hybrids) cocker has that awesome recock feeling with the hammer coming back, and I love it.

In my small amounts of paintball experience I have found that autocockers are a pain in the butt. Even the new WGP trilogy and prostock series which they claim are "set it and forget it" for about a year are still going to require 3-way valve timing galore if you want to shoot ropes AND stay on the field playing all day instead of on the bench tuning. There will be people no doubt plugging me on this but I am sure they are also cocker Gods and know how to tune thier guns in the dark, blindfolded, with one arm in the middle of a 5 man scrimmage.
Automags on the other hand remain (in my humble opinion) the straightest shooting mech gun on the market and with the least amount of maintenance.
Maybe even look into a Reactive Trigger?

Compare this:http://www.moodypaintball.com/pages/tech/animatedcocker/animated.htm
With this:http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=194223
(see very bottom .gif)

To me it means less moving parts and valves to F with.

--ArtemisClydeFrog