PDA

View Full Version : 1/8 Drill Tap

chip08
09-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Where can I buy one? What exactly is involved in tapping something on my own?

MANN
09-26-2006, 01:51 PM
I beleive that Home depot and lowes carry the, if not I know that harbor freight, NH northern, grainger, mcmaster carr, etc carry them. You might even find at Napa, Autozone, etc.

Very easy to use if you own a drill press. Basicly you will drill a hole,(the hole needs to be straight and clean) and then take the tap and screw it into the hole that you already drilled out. similar to screws in a wood board. Practice on a scrap first, and good luck.

FiXeL
09-26-2006, 03:29 PM
When using a drill press when tapping, Clamp your workpiece securely, Center the hole, then drill with the correct diameter drill needed for 1/8, thats err.. (gets tech pocketbook) Arg crap, mine is in metric drill sizes only.. :mad: Well, drill the hole with the correct size, maybe some cutting oil would be nice, and use the drill press to center the tap correctly above the hole.

Turn your drill press on with the tap, at slow revs. Then immediatly turn the drill press off, and press the tap in the hole while the spindle is stil turning and slowing down. Make sure you turned the drill press off before pressing the tap in! Also make sure you get the tap a turn or so in the hole, and do the rest by hand. That way the tap should be perfectly in line with the hole you drilled. Ow and don't forget to use cutting grease or oil when tapping metal.

Ow and wear eye protection when working with cutting tools, for you own safety. :)

Jaan
09-26-2006, 06:10 PM
While Fixels way is right, if you've never tapped a hole that way before you might want to do it the slow way. Do everything exactly the same except turn the tap by hand in the drill press. This is especially easy if you have one of those drill presses that have exposed belts.

Personally, I like to break out the chips when I tap a hole ... turn the tap in one to one and a half times clockwise and then back it out a half turn counterclockwise. That makes some nice clean threads that way. Of course, that's easiest if you're tapping the hole by hand, by as stated before, that can be a witch getting it strait.

Tap Drill Chart (http://www.engineersedge.com/tap_drill_chart.htm)

ScatterPlot
09-26-2006, 11:58 PM
While Fixels way is right, if you've never tapped a hole that way before you might want to do it the slow way. Do everything exactly the same except turn the tap by hand in the drill press. This is especially easy if you have one of those drill presses that have exposed belts.

Personally, I like to break out the chips when I tap a hole ... turn the tap in one to one and a half times clockwise and then back it out a half turn counterclockwise. That makes some nice clean threads that way. Of course, that's easiest if you're tapping the hole by hand, by as stated before, that can be a witch getting it strait.

Tap Drill Chart (http://www.engineersedge.com/tap_drill_chart.htm)

YOU MUST BREAK THE CHIPS FOR THIS SIZE TAP. I would recommend doing it no matter how big it is, but ESPECIALLY on a 1/8, you will break the tap if you don't break the chips. Not hard, just back it off a turn or so every turn or so you put it into the metal. Also, don't do the drill press idling down thing, just turn it by hand, it's too small and this is your first one. It takes a little feeling for it, but you can do it. it's not hard. Just don't try to go too fast.

Also what substance are you tapping? If it's steel sorry but ain't gonna happen I don't think :(

billybob_81067
09-27-2006, 02:12 AM
Also what substance are you tapping? If it's steel sorry but ain't gonna happen I don't think :(

Yeah definately break the chips... I usually just go in a turn or turn and a half and then back it off a quarter turn. You'll feel it break off the chips when you go backwards. And yeah you can tap steel with an 1/8 inch pipe tap. I've done it numerous times...

ScatterPlot
09-29-2006, 12:52 AM
You can, but it's pretty hard. I guess it would actually depend on the type of steel it was. Just saying for his forst time it would be hard. I've been through, oh, I'd say 5 or 6 taps trying to thread the center of an automag bolt for a project, finally just gave up on it. Kept breaking them off- and I had to do both sides of it, on a blind hole. Didn't have a lathe back then- it would be easier now- but it is a difficult task. What method did you use if you don't mind explaining?

billybob_81067
09-29-2006, 08:10 AM
You can, but it's pretty hard. I guess it would actually depend on the type of steel it was. Just saying for his forst time it would be hard. I've been through, oh, I'd say 5 or 6 taps trying to thread the center of an automag bolt for a project, finally just gave up on it. Kept breaking them off- and I had to do both sides of it, on a blind hole. Didn't have a lathe back then- it would be easier now- but it is a difficult task. What method did you use if you don't mind explaining?

Well I was just talking about normal mild steel and maybe a bit harder, but that automag bolt is probably hard as hell... That makes a huge difference! Were you even able to drill it out?

ScatterPlot
10-01-2006, 01:04 AM
Yeah I got it drilled OK and everything, but man tapping that guy was HARD!!! A buddy of mine brought over his Snap-On set, and we even broke one of those! Hard little buggers those are :)