PDA

View Full Version : what is the best mag barell?

don miguel
09-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Most guns have a best barell, for example spyders and progressives, tippmanns and j&js. Does the mag have a "best" barell for it? post what you think is best. i'll start, i heard twist-lock lapcos (discontinued, at least I think so) are pretty good. :dance: :dance: :dance:

MANN
09-27-2006, 08:13 PM
there all the same. get good paint to barrel match, and your good to go.

I somewhat disagree with spyders and progressives, tippmanns and j&js I have freaks, boomsticks, J&J, Progressive, and a variety of other less known ones. Good Paint+Good paint-barrel match+ @12" = accurate

Here's what tom said
http://www.automags.org/resource/tech/tomstech/02_boresize.shtml

http://www.automags.org/resource/tech/tomstech/01_barrel_eff.shtml

ArtemisClydeFrog
09-28-2006, 10:00 AM
I have used smart parts all americans...Tasos and a couple cheap ones I got off ebay that were like 5 bucks. Honestly they all shot within a 1 foot radius at 15 yards (the cheaper barrels broke some paint on the way out, not on the bolt) I personally like my Dye Boomstick, because its not only wicked accurate but its pretty quiet as well. BUT if you really want performance, bounty paper towel rolls with some holes poked in it with a toothpick is by far the sweetest setup yet....and its recyclable. YAY!! :rofl:

Cheers!

--ArtemisClydeFrog

Triangle
09-28-2006, 12:13 PM

I somewhat disagree with spyders and progressives, tippmanns and j&js I have freaks, boomsticks, J&J, Progressive, and a variety of other less known ones. Good Paint+Good paint-barrel match+ @12" = accurate

Here's what tom said

I can attest to that as well.
I have nothing but luck with my J&J on my tippys, and SP barrels on my spyders.

warbeak2099
09-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Yea matching the barrel with the gun is a little absurd. You match the bore to the paint and as long as the barrel as a good quality interior finish, it will shoot well no matter what gun it's on. Obviously some cheaper barrels aren't as nicely honed and polished as the more expensive ones.

geekwarrior
09-28-2006, 12:52 PM
I like Dye Ultralites and the J&J edge kit, but yeah, paint to barrel is the important thing.

wimag
09-28-2006, 01:11 PM
I always liked J&J Ceramics and All Americans

Tool-of-death
09-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Freaks and the Deadly wind wisperbarrel.

great barrels.

shaunyoung000
09-28-2006, 02:20 PM
PMI perfect bore ceramic barrels, only a few made, best ever..... :eek:

don miguel
09-30-2006, 07:18 PM

Here's what tom said

that is pretty true i have too agree

don miguel
09-30-2006, 07:20 PM
I have used smart parts all americans...Tasos and a couple cheap ones I got off ebay that were like 5 bucks. Honestly they all shot within a 1 foot radius at 15 yards (the cheaper barrels broke some paint on the way out, not on the bolt) I personally like my Dye Boomstick, because its not only wicked accurate but its pretty quiet as well. BUT if you really want performance, bounty paper towel rolls with some holes poked in it with a toothpick is by far the sweetest setup yet....and its recyclable. YAY!! :rofl:

Cheers!

--ArtemisClydeFrog

yeah I prefer straight garden hose for my barells

don miguel
09-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Yea matching the barrel with the gun is a little absurd. You match the bore to the paint and as long as the barrel as a good quality interior finish, it will shoot well no matter what gun it's on. Obviously some cheaper barrels aren't as nicely honed and polished as the more expensive ones.

actually what I found interesing with my spyder (when I used to have one) that whan I put a J&J on it I could see that the j and j bore was a little larger that the gun's chamber. the smart parts progressive fit really nicely. you can see this if you take the bolt out of a rear cocking spyder and look through the chamber. This makes for good barell buying. I do believe you can match a barell's fit to a specific gun. but barell to paint matching is very important as well.

captian pinky
09-30-2006, 08:00 PM
oo well i like my 2 piece twist lock ultra light and 14in front but i also like my 1 piece twist lock ultralight and i also like my excel so comon theme for mags is sp barrels or dye barrels but hey if u like sticck with it seen a few good jand j s

buzzboy
09-30-2006, 08:07 PM
I know that accuracy has to do with diameter and consistancy/efficiency has to do with length/barrel porting but I have seen one thing in a barrel that is very good.

The barrels made by agd provide a better fit into the gun. I have had an armson stealth and a crownpoint. The bolt now and then would wedge itself into the barrel(wearing on the rifling). I would then have a friend assist me in yanking the barrel off. I have never had that problem with the crownpoint. Also the crownpoint has a less jiggly fit in the body(both with fresh orings. Problem on armson was solved with tape).

Any barrel made by AGD is the best for an agd gun IMHO.

warbeak2099
09-30-2006, 11:28 PM
actually what I found interesing with my spyder (when I used to have one) that whan I put a J&J on it I could see that the j and j bore was a little larger that the gun's chamber. the smart parts progressive fit really nicely. you can see this if you take the bolt out of a rear cocking spyder and look through the chamber. This makes for good barell buying. I do believe you can match a barell's fit to a specific gun. but barell to paint matching is very important as well.

Having trouble connecting those facts? All that means is that the J&J bore is larger than the Progressive bore you were using. So just get a smaller bore J&J...

robnix
09-30-2006, 11:43 PM
Most guns have a best barell, for example spyders and progressives, tippmanns and j&js. Does the mag have a "best" barell for it? post what you think is best. i'll start, i heard twist-lock lapcos (discontinued, at least I think so) are pretty good. :dance: :dance: :dance:

My Stiffi and J&J couldn't shoot straight at all today, my Speedline was a champ. Other days it's different. Last time I played my Bizerk barrel seemed to work best.

chettacheez
10-01-2006, 07:12 AM
Tippmann Super Chromium...

Shirow
10-01-2006, 10:12 AM
I've always liked my J&J Ceramic but I have a feeling it's probably a very subjective thing.. ;)

kruger
10-01-2006, 12:27 PM
And, I have found that the stock Dye Matrix barrels are the most accurate and quietest barrels for me. They also kinda resemble a Howitzer barrel. They are the same blanks as the Ultra-Lite, just milled differently on the outside. And, you can still find them for cheap :D

Lohman446
10-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Most guns have a best barell, for example spyders and progressives, tippmanns and j&js.

What? You realize they make different bore sizes of the same barrel right?

Get a 22" "sniper" rifled and spiral ported barrel Great accuracy :)

minimag03
10-01-2006, 02:14 PM

Your thoughts are totally off. There is no barrel that is "best" for a type of gun. Most experienced players will just use whatever is polished decently and has some porting. That's about all you can ask for out of a barrel.

Shane-O-Mac
10-01-2006, 07:40 PM
while I agree with most of the answeres in this thread, I have to throw my 2 cents in.

Barrel to paint match, isnt as important as some think it is. The only thing that you really want to keep from happening, is that the barrel is too tight for your paint. A barrel that lets paint roll out is ok, as the detents keep the ball in place. Now the only major problem with a barrel that is too big, is you lose some efficency (not alot either), but with todays fields having all day air, effiency isnt as important. If you playing with 12 grams in a pumpmag or other pump, then paint to barrel match is more important. I can shoot paint just as accuratley with a larger barrel, than one perfectly matched. Barrel kits are nice, just to make sure you have a barrel that will allow the paintball to not break in it.

And there are a few things that can make a another barrel "better". It is subjective, but IMHO, a ceramic coated barrel is the best all around barrel, just for the shoot clean properties. Also porting style could make them quieter or louder. Whats the "Best" barrel? The one that fits your needs, and one you like.

My vote, If you are only gonna get one barrel, a J&J Ceramic one piece, are barrels you cant go wrong with. Biggest thing to remember, buy good paint, that makes your gun shoot better than changing barrels.

Shane-O

don miguel
10-01-2006, 07:46 PM
while I agree with most of the answeres in this thread, I have to throw my 2 cents in.

Barrel to paint match, isnt as important as some think it is. The only thing that you really want to keep from happening, is that the barrel is too tight for your paint. A barrel that lets paint roll out is ok, as the detents keep the ball in place. Now the only major problem with a barrel that is too big, is you lose some efficency (not alot either), but with todays fields having all day air, effiency isnt as important. If you playing with 12 grams in a pumpmag or other pump, then paint to barrel match is more important. I can shoot paint just as accuratley with a larger barrel, than one perfectly matched. Barrel kits are nice, just to make sure you have a barrel that will allow the paintball to not break in it.

And there are a few things that can make a another barrel "better". It is subjective, but IMHO, a ceramic coated barrel is the best all around barrel, just for the shoot clean properties. Also porting style could make them quieter or louder. Whats the "Best" barrel? The one that fits your needs, and one you like.

My vote, If you are only gonna get one barrel, a J&J Ceramic one piece, are barrels you cant go wrong with. Biggest thing to remember, buy good paint, that makes your gun shoot better than changing barrels.

Shane-O
thank you for you suggestion I appriciate that.

warbeak2099
10-01-2006, 07:49 PM
J&J Edges come in ceramic too. Then you'd have the shoot clean properties and better accuracy because you can match paint to bore. And technically, you will have better accuracy if your paint isnt wobbling around in your too-big barrel bore.

Shane-O-Mac
10-01-2006, 08:07 PM
The one piece J&J barrel clean out better because there is no oversized front bore. But
I do like the 2 piece edge kits, the only thing that makes them better is being able to make sure your paint isnt too tight, and cause barrel breaks. But when trying to clean out a barrel in the middle of a game, a one piece barrel is much easier to clean out.

As for the barrel matching controversy, Many tourney guys have been using oversized barrels so that they had no barrel breaks, and with open bolt guns you dont need a perfect barrel to paint match. I tried it my self, and didnt see any difference in accuracy, WITH good paint that is. Bad paint likes a barrel bore closer to a match but in my opinion, and experiance, paint matching is overrated. Manike even commented on this awhile back, he was using a .693 or so barrel in tourneys.

Shane-O

warbeak2099
10-01-2006, 08:08 PM
I find it easier to clean a barrel if you can unscrew it in half but w/e...

And I'll respectfully disagree with you on the bore sizing because of what has been found from actually testing it. Not just TK, obviously other engineering/physics based experiments have found the same correlation.

The ceramic barrel is self-cleaning because of its internal coating. No it won't clean out the front peice, but usually the break is in the back section. The front peice doesn't affect the ball's flight path anyways, only the first 6-8" of the barrel. And if the bore is too big, it will not clean it. So there's another reason to match your bore and paint.

Shane-O-Mac
10-01-2006, 08:51 PM
I havent seen any REAL tests on paint to barrel matching, is there some out there that you have seen/read? I am going off personal experiance, which isnt very scientific......LOL.

Shane-O

warbeak2099
10-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Here's one example from the man himself:

Shane-O-Mac
10-01-2006, 09:36 PM
I figured Tom would have done it...LOL. I didnt remember that one, I thought I had read all of his tests.

Reading this excerpt is very interesting:

"Even the biggest to the smallest barrels don't product that much difference in accuracy IF YOU ONLY COUNT THE SHOTS AT THE SAME VELOCITY. So there you have it, I should mention these studies were done in the early to mid nineties, we have not done any testing lately on two piece barrels etc."

So a good barrel match can provide better consistency, but no change in accuracy. Good stuff to read.

A new test with 2 piece barrels would be interesting.

In the end, everyone has their favorite barrel or barrels. Most of us have tried alot of them, and have our own favorites. I personally do have a barrel kit (Freak), but it is used mostly for roll out issues with my pump guns. I usally chose a size larger than what the ball is fitting for the odd larger ball.

Shane-O

warbeak2099
10-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Yea that's true. While consistancy and accuracy are two seperate variables, they do both affect where the ball will land. So, it's still important to being able to hit someone or something.

grEnAlEins
10-01-2006, 09:48 PM
These are nice:
http://www.tunamart.com/index.php?c=36&p=352
I still use one of these on my classic:
http://www.tunamart.com/index.php?c=36&p=352

Aren't you getting a new body though? Any cocker barrel should work fine. One my ule mag I have an Xcel that I got for dirty cheap and it works like a champ...

Shane-O-Mac
10-01-2006, 10:04 PM
The crown points are good, as long as you put a rubber band around the end........

Ting, Ting, Ting....................LOL

But others like that sound.......... :D

Shane-O

P.S. for those who dont know, the crown points make a ringing sound when you shoot, its slight, but its there.....

grEnAlEins
10-01-2006, 10:50 PM
The crown points are good, as long as you put a rubber band around the end........

Ting, Ting, Ting....................LOL

But others like that sound.......... :D

Shane-O

P.S. for those who dont know, the crown points make a ringing sound when you shoot, its slight, but its there.....
that was the ONLY reason I liked it over the stock RT Pro barrel. Thats it, I am gonna buy one again. Tuna, stand by for an email or PM... :spit_take

lather
10-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Using fresh high quality paint and keeping your barrel clean and gun shooting consistant are the determining factors for good accuracy, not what type of barrel is used imo.

warbeak2099
10-02-2006, 07:40 AM
Using fresh high quality paint and keeping your barrel clean and gun shooting consistant are the determining factors for good accuracy, not what type of barrel is used imo.

Well, if the interior surface of the barrel is low quality and not honed as well as another barrel, it won't shoot as straight.

don miguel
10-02-2006, 07:59 AM
I noticed that the stock minimag barell is like that, and I wanted to get a new one. Is the RT barell good, or is the crown point better? :confused:

don miguel
10-02-2006, 08:01 AM
I kind of like the crown point it looks cool. http://store.airgun.com/images/product/large/lg_352.jpg
It is a good price (40$), is it a larger or smaller bore?
that would fit a minimag stock bodykit right, (hopper left)
and is it honed well?

grEnAlEins
10-02-2006, 08:18 AM
I kind of like the crown point it looks cool.
It is a good price (40$), is it a larger or smaller bore?
that would fit a minimag stock bodykit right, (hopper left)
and is it honed well?
Yes, and it sounds cool too... "Ting Ting Ting" :clap:
It is a good deal. I do not recall what bore, but it has shot most paints well in my experience.
Yes it would fit any stock non-centerfeed body
Yes.

And the bananas are dancing again! WOOT! :dance: :dance: (did anyone elses stop for all of yesterday?)

Indignant
10-02-2006, 08:58 AM
nice... you tricked him into buying a crown point because it 'sounds cool.' get a better performance barrel. just buy a J&J Ceramic and let it be over with. good barrel.

grEnAlEins
10-02-2006, 09:10 AM
nice... you tricked him into buying a crown point because it 'sounds cool.'
:rofl: not just that, mine shot fine... :p

don miguel
10-02-2006, 12:06 PM
nice... you tricked him into buying a crown point because it 'sounds cool.' get a better performance barrel. just buy a J&J Ceramic and let it be over with. good barrel.
are they quieter than the crown point, is the crown point quiet at all? And where can you buy j&js twist lock? what website? :dance:

don miguel
10-03-2006, 04:17 PM
IN LUCK! our team's (MVelite, mvelite.com) sponsor extremeaction paintball in norwood ma. just tol me that he can get mw a twist lock to autococker barell adapter (special order) for 19$ so I am getting an autococker barell now, bye bye twist lock! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

shives007
10-03-2006, 04:25 PM
don miguel I sent you a pm.

Shives

don miguel
10-03-2006, 04:32 PM
sweet thanks.

Lohman446
10-03-2006, 07:14 PM
IN LUCK! our team's (MVelite, mvelite.com) sponsor extremeaction paintball in norwood ma. just tol me that he can get mw a twist lock to autococker barell adapter (special order) for 19$ so I am getting an autococker barell now, bye bye twist lock! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Wow. I'm not sure what part of that concerns me most.

Lenny
10-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Wow. I'm not sure what part of that concerns me most.
Yeah, I was just wondering that too...

lather
10-05-2006, 04:27 AM
Well, if the interior surface of the barrel is low quality and not honed as well as another barrel, it won't shoot as straight.

Do paintball barrels even need to be micro-honed? We are not shooting match grade target rifles with MOA accuracy, a paintball is not stable at all ballistically.

My point is a clean, $40.00 cp one-piece or J&J whatever will shoot just as well as the more expensive barrels such as a $80.00 DYE UL.

warbeak2099
10-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Do paintball barrels even need to be micro-honed? We are not shooting match grade target rifles with MOA accuracy, a paintball is not stable at all ballistically.

My point is a clean, $40.00 cp one-piece or J&J whatever will shoot just as well as the more expensive barrels such as a $80.00 DYE UL.

Yea, that's because the inner surfaces of those two barrels are high quality. Just about as high quality as the DYE UL. But a CMI Tru Flight on the other hand... peice of crap.