PDA

View Full Version : AGD possible issue with superbolts in cold weather.

Butterfingers
12-27-2001, 06:17 PM
I dont know if this is an isolated case or a possible issue with superbolts.

I was playing in sub 30 degree weather today when the bolt started jamming. I took apart my e-mag I noticed a huge fracture down the middle of the derlin sleve on my new superbolt I had just installed today.

The fracture was so big that it allowed the sleve to fall right off the bolt when I took it off my e-mag. If I had shot it any more the sleve probably would have been chewed up and ejected out of the barrel.

I will call tech support tommorrow. I don't know what the replacement policy on sleves are since this is a wearble item, but it didn't wear it just broke off less than 500 shots after I had installed it.

Butterfingers
12-27-2001, 06:40 PM
The derlin on the bolt seems to be very thin. In warmer weather the derlin sleve is flexible and malliable, in colder weather it becomes dangerously brittle.

Perhaps a diffrent material could be used to make the sleves instead of the much overhyped derlin. Perhaps kevlar or polycarbonate.

Or simply drilling out the part that goes into the powertube on standard stainless bolts to make it lighter.

AGD
12-27-2001, 06:42 PM
First report of this, lets get it in here and take a look at it.

AGD

PAINTBALLA01
12-27-2001, 07:12 PM
thats not good

Vegeta
12-27-2001, 07:31 PM
er... not cool.
The derlin material could be hardening up in cold weather cuaseign it to crack like old weatherstripping. if it cracked enough, it could slide off. Not good at all.

Sure hope this is just an isolated case.

Omicron
12-27-2001, 07:59 PM
that is definately not good...if AGD does make another sleeve, make sure it fits the bolt because I dont want to buy a whole another bolt just to play in the cold. Well, i guess since i play indoor most of the time i'll be fine...if i ever play outside i'lluse my SS bolt....

Russ
12-27-2001, 08:21 PM
Butterfingers had a DELRIN (not derlin!) sleeve crack on his superbolt. It was cold outdoors. This does not mean that the cold caused it to crack!

I won't even begin to speculate as to why it malfunctioned. Get that puppy back to the mother ship and let the AGD eggheads figure it out. :eek:

:)

Vegeta
12-27-2001, 09:02 PM
I said delrin...
oops.
Hey man I don't OWN a mag.. im one of those unfortunate people.

I sit outsdie the AGD office everymorning hoping for handouts from Tom.

nutz
12-27-2001, 09:16 PM
hope this doesnt screw up the superbolts for tom!

damageinc54
12-28-2001, 01:49 AM
Boy I am soooo glad I bought a superbolt. First the sleeves are too long and now they get brittle in the cold. Great. When are we going to be able to buy replacement sleeves? It is becoming obvious to me that I need a few in my toolbox.

markskee
12-28-2001, 10:32 AM
I had the same problem I shot about a loader of balls and started to shoot again and the tip of my supper bolt flew out the end of my barrel I stopped shooting and took out my bolt and the bolt was cracked all the way down the side and the sleeve fell off this all happened the day after I got it. It was one out of the trimmed down batch that was sent out the week before x-mas. The tip of the bolt was also larger than the body of the bolt, not to mention larger than all of my stock mag bolts 3 different types total, all stainless. Maybe the bolt got hung up somewhere in the gun. I think a smaller OD.
would be the fix and thicker walls on the sleeve. Come on Fatten up that sleeve! AGD my bolt should be in your hands today sometime along with a note.I don't think it is the cold weather though because I live in CA. and I was indoors shooting out of a window.

irbodden
12-28-2001, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by damageinc54
Boy I am soooo glad I bought a superbolt. First the sleeves are too long and now they get brittle in the cold. Great.

I notice some sarcasim.. ;)

I dont think the Superbolt is for everyone.

paintballrulzs
12-28-2001, 11:01 AM
replacement sleeves r in the online store i think 15 each!

damageinc54
12-28-2001, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by irbodden

I notice some sarcasim.. ;)

I dont think the Superbolt is for everyone.

Oh, you noticed my sarcasm huh? My bad, I will try not to make it so obvious next time. LoL!!! I am just wishing I had not bought a superbolt. I spent $50.00 on it and I do not even want to put it in my gun now. I do not want to be out on the field in a tournament and have my sleeve go flying out of my barrel. Hopefully it will at least fly straight :) I did not notice any difference in recoil between my superbolt and stock bolt and now the sleeves are cracking. Great :rolleyes: