PDA

View Full Version : Check out my aw3som3 new thing!

billybob_81067
09-29-2006, 09:38 PM
I do a lot of sandblasting of things and I hate to go out and buy sand by the bag just to blast it all over the ground. Also screening it by hand sucks th3 big on3 cause it takes forever to fill up a 5 gallon bucket. So for the past day and a half I worked on and built myself a sand screening mahine. It friggin rocks. I can screen a 5 gallon bucket of sand in under 5 minutes now! WOOT!!! Now for some pics. These are of my version 1.2 screening machine, and I'm on ver. 1.3 now. Not much has changed though since these pics.

Side view

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/billybob_81067/screen1.jpg

Front view

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/billybob_81067/screen2.jpg

Back view

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/billybob_81067/screen3.jpg

I got the motor with the pulley, the jack shaft and big pulley and the jack shaft bearings all out of an old squirrel cage fan that I found at the dump. The angle iron framework for the whole thing was all from old bed frames also salvaged at the dump. Actually the screen came from the dump as well! The only thing I had to buy for this project was the belt that runs from the motor to the jack shaft.

:headbang:

personman
10-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Wow, very nice handiwork! :)

-Tab
10-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Does it launch 75 pound boulders?

But yes, that is nice work.

CasingBill
10-02-2006, 08:29 PM
looks good, but I wonder how long the welds will hold up. maybe for your next version, you can have the screen mounted on springs so its not directly attached to the frame. The spring will absorb the vibration instead of transmitting it through the frame. Unless its going really slow.....just a thought.

bentothejam1n
10-02-2006, 09:36 PM
looks good, but I wonder how long the welds will hold up. maybe for your next version, you can have the screen mounted on springs so its not directly attached to the frame. The spring will absorb the vibration instead of transmitting it through the frame. Unless its going really slow.....just a thought.
good point

mobsterboy
10-02-2006, 09:58 PM
Does it launch 75 pound boulders?

But yes, that is nice work.

it will if it has an "ACME" sticker on it
/Wylie Coyote FTW

billybob_81067
10-02-2006, 10:20 PM

It shakes pretty slowly. I doubt there will ever be any issue with the framework not being able to withstand it. As for the screen, I'm sure someday it will wear out, but all I've got to do then is just drive the pins out of the hinges, unbolt the linkage from the rear of each screen table and they're off of there. The screen is sandwiched between the angles on top and the square tubing below with self tapping screws. Just unscrew them, put new screen in and screw them back down to clamp it all together.

That's only a 1/6th HP motor on there and it doesn't even get warm.

neppo1345
10-02-2006, 10:34 PM
A sand screening machine!

BRILLIANT!

Triangle
10-03-2006, 02:24 AM

BRILLIANT!
http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/guinness_commercial.jpg

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
10-03-2006, 05:27 PM
^^^ LOL that looks like it save alot of time. We should start a invention thread.

billybob_81067
10-04-2006, 01:52 AM

BRILLIANT!

LOL... while it may not be a ground breaking development in technology, I'm still quite proud I was able to build it for the cost of the belt, some welding wire, and CO2 ~ $10 total. Oh and I basically built it in a day and then took another half day of tuning it. Only because I had to haul it a few miles away to where the sand is for testing it out. :p

^^^ LOL that looks like it save alot of time. We should start a invention thread.

I'm guessing that it cut the time of screening sand down to about a sixth of what it originally took me to get a bucketfull! I never actually timed myself screening sand by hand but it seemed to take forever and really, really, realllllllly sucked!