PDA

View Full Version : Can .45 paintball grips be put on a handgun?

Pneumagger
10-02-2006, 12:25 PM
So I let my father hold one of my Paintball guns the other day. He loved the feel Dye sticky 3's and complimented on their comfort. Then asked if they'd fit his handgun. The question caught me off guard and I thought of the coolness of a Gel gripped handgun.

He shoots a CZ-75 40cal, and I imediately answered no because of the screw placement on the cz-75 grips. However, looking at the .45 paintball grips and a set of cocobolo 1911-A1 .45 grips, it seems that Dye sticky 3 (or just about any .45 wraparound grips) would fit a pistol made for 1911 .45 grip panels. Perhaps even with little to no modification. :)

Does anyone here have a .45 framed pistol they can try this out on? I'm pretty sure only a spot for the magazine release might need to be made. Also maybe one side needs modified to allow for the slidelock or thumb safety.

I can just see it now... a vert frame pneumatic .45 with 15 round magazine. :headbang: :shooting: <--- JK BTW

SummaryJudgement
10-02-2006, 12:33 PM
I'm pretty sure they can. I'm sure I've seen firearm/handgun grips on paintball guns, so the opposite should apply..........I think..........

StygShore
10-02-2006, 12:35 PM
you are correct sir, they will fit the 1911 .45 frames

Styg

are they called 45 frames because they will fit a 1911 .45 or becasue they are at a 45 degree angle? :)

Jackel411
10-02-2006, 12:37 PM
I had a firearm magazine about 2 years ago that had a " speed shooter " competition coverage on it and you could make out a pair of clear dye sticky threes on a 1911 in the guys holster..

Im pretty sure you can

Pneumagger
10-02-2006, 12:55 PM
sweet. Yeah, I knew you could put .45 firearm panels on paintball guns. They actually sell awesome looking punisher grips on ebay.

In the pistol realm, .45 refers to the ergonomics of the original 1911 slider autopistol frames. I forget the actual angle on them, but they more like 11 degrees or something. Didn't know if .45 was just a marketing term the paintball industry was using to make kids feal badass about thier grips or something :tard: .

Draken
10-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Yes you can, maybe with no mods, maybe with slight mods....

On my buddies AMT Hardballer the sticky 3s slide right on it with no problem, on my dads Kimber, it has small centering studs to make sure the grips are in the right place, those have to be removed, or the sticky 3s need to be drilled out for them (sorry dad, they are going back on my phantom :) )

Army
10-02-2006, 01:10 PM
1911 panels need to be recessed for the grip screw bushings. Most 45 paintball grips do not have this recess.

It would not take much trouble to do so though. Also, you will need some sort of bushing/washer inside the grip itself, so the screws have something to seat against. :shooting:

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
10-02-2006, 01:23 PM
well I order cutoms 1911 panels for my benchmark and the matched up perfectly and I have a set of the dye stickys on another benchmark and they seem to line up.

rx2
10-02-2006, 01:38 PM
Why the .45 term carried over from firearms, and not "1911," I don't know.

People began using the same ergonomics as the original Colt 1911-style .45 pistol for paintball. The same thing has been done with the HK-style grips, and AR-15 style grip assemblies, as well. After that, people just found that you can often use the same panels that you used on the pistol. And, DYE stickies are more or less the same as a lot of the after-market wrap-around grips made by Hogue, Pachmayer, and others. In fact, those grips that looked like DYE grips could very well have been produced by one of the manufacturers.

The thing is that there are numerous styles of .45 pistols out there, and various conformities of the 1911 action/style. So, not all panel grips are alike, and what may work on a compact Kimber .45, e.g., may not work on a full-sized frame. At the same time, there are 1911-style pistols that have been chambered to fire other rounds, as well, so you can't necessarily just say that it is ".45" style. In all, there isn't really just one de-facto standard for .45 design, or even 1911 design.

Whatever the case, there are some times when you can't interchange the 1911/.45 style panels, as Army stated. However, there are different conformities, and many of them are no different from what you would use on a marker.

SR_matt
10-02-2006, 02:40 PM
when a friend of mine worked at a paintball shop around here a guy came in to buy dye stickies for his hand gun, IIR it was a .40 cal glock but i am really not positive
-matt

Pneumagger
10-02-2006, 03:27 PM
IIRC, glocks use polymer molds that have a the imprint of the grip molded into them like the Springfield XD, S&W SW40GVE, and HK Striker pistols.

don miguel
10-02-2006, 07:21 PM
IDK but stickys on a glock sounds pretty sweet. (I am awnsering your origional questions).

Pneumagger
10-02-2006, 07:39 PM
sorry don... but most glocks have polymer frames, and no glocks use a .45 frame

Try again next time. :rolleyes:

Dubstar112
10-02-2006, 10:54 PM
I asked the same question once and SHarltey just about flipped out on me.

Dubstar112
10-02-2006, 10:56 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55293&highlight=pistol

just thought id find it and point it out lol

Pneumagger
10-02-2006, 11:04 PM
I personally am going to try some sticky 3's on a handgun. I think it would be extremely comfortable.

mobsterboy
10-02-2006, 11:38 PM
I asked the same question once and SHarltey just about flipped out on me.

wow, 5 years after the join date, almost six and your not fed up with AO? Mad props, mad props

Dubstar112
10-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Actually I am gettin sick of it. Look at my latest bst thread.

It takes patience though, ya know. Ive seen people come and go here often, only making a minor impression, then Ive seen people that have been here as long as I or longer... make major impressions on the board. Currently the people who have been here longest dont frequent as much as Id like to see... the "heritage" is giving way to trendiness ...lol (exaggeration but.. it is) who remembers the magcentral.org vs ao? ooooh yeahhh