PDA

View Full Version : X-Valve HP Relief Malfuntion?

PumpPlayer
10-02-2006, 01:46 PM
I have an issue with an X-valve and it is my conclusion that the HP relief valve is NFG'd.
However, I want to make sure I didn't overlook anything so I'm going to post here and see if anyone cares to take a swing at it.

X-valve, secondhand to me a year ago, probably around 3 or 4 years old overall.
ULT, 4 shims.
Level 10, two shims, light spring (to shoot at 270 fps for a recent game)
Freshly cleaned and lubed, running on a 850 psi output Crossfire tank.
Reg springs in good condition and freshly greased
New o-ring on regulator piston (relief valve assembly), lightly lubricated before installation

When gassed up, the valve leaks out the back even after backing out the velocity all the way down to ~200 fps or so. It does not noticably leak more or less as the velocity is adjusted up. Fires and cycles flawlessly at 270-275 with little fluctuation despite the leak.

When the trigger is held down, the valve fires and the leak stops.
When the trigger is released, the on/off returns correctly and the leak resumes.

It can be played with and was fired for at least 1000 shots with no change in symptoms.

My diagnosis is that the regulator piston (relief valve) assembly needs replacement.
Does anyone else have any other ideas?
Just want to make sure I'm replacing the correct part.

What's the life span on them? Shouldn't they last a little longer than 3 years or so?

Thanks for looking.

SR_matt
10-02-2006, 02:45 PM
to me it soulds like an on/off leak since it only will leak when the trigger is released but not when it is ready to shoot, im not to savy on mags yet but i really doubt it is anything in the reg
-matt

Pneumagger
10-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Regaurdless of whether or not the trigger is pulled, if it was the relief valve, it would almost leak i believe.

Send it off to tuna or AGD for a tunup. All you will get charged for is shipping and any hard replacement parts.

SR_matt
10-02-2006, 03:49 PM
from waht i understood a star repair was only on "soft parts" i.e. orings seals etc not metal pieces
-matt

SR_matt
10-02-2006, 05:02 PM
o ok, thats good to know. thanks
-matt

13thlegionnaireCapt
10-02-2006, 05:56 PM
o ok, thats good to know. thanks
-matt
not to highjack your thread, but what is the average turnaround time for an AGD star repair?

just wondering if i want to tinker with mine or just send it away for the professional repair if it is a quick thing..

SR_matt
10-02-2006, 07:29 PM
i would guess less than a week, when i sent in my mag to get built and tuned it took less than 2 weeks to get a call saying it was ready (i think it was actualy less than a week from when he got it that it was built). i assume they can tech and fix a gun and have it back to you, using priority mail to them and them returning it their shipping, in under 2 weeks
-matt

PumpPlayer
10-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Very well, I'll simply give AGD a call and see if they'll replace it under the star program.

It's a $20 part so the cost to me is the same either way.

I'm simply a bit confused when the Warranty (http://www.airgun.com/WarrantyPolicy.shtml) claims that,

PLEASE NOTE:
Warranties do not cover wear items like bolts, sears, springs, spring packs, reg pistons, magnets, screws.

A phone call will clear that up, however.
We'll see what happens, I guess.

athomas
10-06-2006, 01:15 PM
My first try would be at completely cleaning the back section of the valve. Replace the regulator piston oring. Try it again. If that doesn't work, then send the valve in. Most of the time, leaks like that are the result of a piece of dirt.