View Full Version : Another shooting

beam
10-02-2006, 02:08 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/02/national/main2055177.shtml

[I was going on a rant and decided to just hold my tongue.]

:cuss:

Altimas
10-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Wow...This is horrifying. When will the madness stop?

grEnAlEins
10-02-2006, 02:31 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/02/national/main2055177.shtml

[I was going on a rant and decided to just hold my tongue.]

:cuss:
I was just about to post this in my thread...
Yeah, WTF is going on? :mad: This is the thord or fourth one in two weeks... :(

beam
10-02-2006, 03:01 PM
You know...I really REALLY hope this spawns a new protocol for dealing with crap like this.

Basically, if you take a hostage, we get to kill you at the first chance. No more of this negotiate and try to save your life bullcrap.

Take the cuffs off the police and let them find new ways to do their jobs...protect the innocent.

If modern mindset was that if you take a hostage, you will die, at least the rules would be in place from the start.

I know I'm speaking out of anger, so if this was thought out, it would probably not be the best move, but I'd rather let my emotions take over on this one.

geekwarrior
10-02-2006, 03:24 PM
You know...I really REALLY hope this spawns a new protocol for dealing with crap like this.

Basically, if you take a hostage, we get to kill you at the first chance. No more of this negotiate and try to save your life bullcrap.

Take the cuffs off the police and let them find new ways to do their jobs...protect the innocent.

If modern mindset was that if you take a hostage, you will die, at least the rules would be in place from the start.

I know I'm speaking out of anger, so if this was thought out, it would probably not be the best move, but I'd rather let my emotions take over on this one.

i think all of the people who did this sort of thing have died, so I dont think thats going to help much

grEnAlEins
10-02-2006, 03:49 PM
i think all of the people who did this sort of thing have died, so I dont think thats going to help much
Not to mention there are most likely not mentally stable... so cognition of this policy would be all but absent, if not entirely. I doubt the policy like that would help much...

LinearGoose
10-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Man im starting to get scared to go to school. Today I really couldnt focus because I kept on thinking what if it happen at my school.

grEnAlEins
10-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Man im starting to get scared to go to school. Today I really couldnt focus because I kept on thinking what if it happen at my school.
It is scary. It can, indeed does, happen anywhere, seemingly without provocation. That's the part that scares me, that someone can just snap and become capable of somthing like this :(

-Tab
10-02-2006, 04:58 PM

I know what you mean. I watched a show on "Bum Hunting" last night. These teenagers would find homeless people and beat them with baseball bats(often to death), light them on fire, etcetera.

It's been a long time since I've been that angry. I would undoubtedly not have a problem doing that same thing, and more, to those teenagers.

grEnAlEins
10-02-2006, 04:59 PM
I watched a show on "Bum Hunting" last night. These teenagers would find homeless people and beat them with baseball bats(often to death), light them on fire, etcetera.
:( :eek: Are you serious? That is effed up... I've never heard of that.
EDIT: Googled it, and it is widespread. That is just sick :(

-Tab
10-02-2006, 05:03 PM
:( :eek: Are you serious? That is effed up... I've never heard of that.

Either have I, but I'm starting a new sport - Bum Hunters Hunting. It's goin' worldwide, baby.

grEnAlEins
10-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Either have I, but I'm starting a new sport - Bum Hunters Hunting. It's goin' worldwide, baby.
I'm game :cool:

Pickle
10-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Random violence is nothing new to our society or many others. It just so happens that there are a spurt of them right now.

As far as changing policies, yes that can and has happened. After Columbine a lot of agencies enacted or looked at new policies and tactics regarding "active shooters", meaning going against bad guys that are actively shooting up schools etc.

Steelrat
10-02-2006, 06:17 PM

In a lot of cases, it IS the new protocol. Just look at what happened in Canada recently, the first police on scene charged in and engaged the suspect. The guy in Pennsylvania apparently opened fire when he saw the police preparing to enter the building.

It's a tough position for law enforcement to be in, and they will always be endlessly second-guessed. The police in Colorado will catch hell for storming the room where the guy was holding two girls hostage, even though they believed they had no choice. It's just the nature of our society. God help us if we ever face a Beslan-type scenario.

Steelrat
10-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Oh, and prepare to see the anti-gun crowd coming on strong. I'm a gun owner, and I love shooting, but frankly they're going to have some good ammunition. From what I've seen, all the guns used in the recent incidents have been legally owned (though, in the case of colorado, it was owned by his brother). Kinda damages the "criminals down legally own guns" argument.

Pickle
10-02-2006, 11:44 PM
In a lot of cases, it IS the new protocol. Just look at what happened in Canada recently, the first police on scene charged in and engaged the suspect. The guy in Pennsylvania apparently opened fire when he saw the police preparing to enter the building.

It's a tough position for law enforcement to be in, and they will always be endlessly second-guessed. The police in Colorado will catch hell for storming the room where the guy was holding two girls hostage, even though they believed they had no choice. It's just the nature of our society. God help us if we ever face a Beslan-type scenario.

Yes, it is the new protocol in many situations. In many many respects law enforcement is a reactive occupation. It is difficult for the average cop to snoop and poop, looking for stuff. Their time is spent mostly responding to calls.

As far as CO cops catching hell. For once I don't think the cops will be second guessed as much as they normally would. There was a lot and I mean A LOT of criticism of Boulder PD and how slow they were (or allegedly were) in responding to the scene and acting. Now that police in the same state have acted swiftly and quickly the same people (who tend to dislike cops anyways) can not stand up and say the exact opposite. Oh sure, there will be some but not as many.

ahellers
10-03-2006, 02:02 AM
i think that the attitude should remain (or change in some situations) go in fast and soon and stop whats going on. sure there will be instinces like CO (but there always will be no matter what) but we need to set a precidince for the gun men that were not gona put up with there crap.
t

bornl33t
10-03-2006, 05:47 AM
I know I'm preaching to the choir here but this is EXACTLY why banning guns is foolish. Why do you think they are doing this at schools? Cause know one has a gun and no one will challenge them. If guns were banned the bad guys would still get them them. The only change would be that they would know that they weren't taking a risk by pointing a gun at some one. As it stands now bad guys are playing Russian rollet when they pull a gun in public.

I for one am with beam on this one. Protect the innocent.

SCpoloRicker
10-03-2006, 11:48 AM
I know I'm preaching to the choir here but this is EXACTLY why banning guns is foolish. Why do you think they are doing this at schools? Cause know one has a gun and no one will challenge them. If guns were banned the bad guys would still get them them. The only change would be that they would know that they weren't taking a risk by pointing a gun at some one. As it stands now bad guys are playing Russian rollet when they pull a gun in public.

I for one am with beam on this one. Protect the innocent.

Uh, of course no one at a school has a gun. :confused: I'm really unclear as to what you're trying to get across here... if we ban guns, people will know that no one is armed?

/gun-owner
//NRA and ACLU for life

Pyroboy597
10-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Our school has never had a problem, but then again they don't take security too seriously. They don't search lockers without the principal's signed permission, and there are no random checks, metal detectors, identification requirements or anything like that. With over 2500 kids in the school, I wish they would take more steps to prevent something horrible from portentially happening. Atleast we have security guards with kevlar and guns.

Thordic
10-03-2006, 02:44 PM
What, how did he get through the metal detector?

MANN
10-03-2006, 03:36 PM
What, how did he get through the metal detector?

Im not sure which school shooting you are talking about as there have been so many the past week or two, but I know for a fact that there were no metal detectors at the amish school. I have toured an amish town before, and its nothing but wood and straw. (Not that thats bad, just not my prefrance for living conditions)

WTF are people thinking these days!?! Holding 2 girls hostage and killing 1, Holding 10 girls hostage, tieing them up, and killing 5 of them.

I dont beleive that gun control has anything to do with violence as the "bad guys" will always have guns(Im not trying to start a gun control arguement), but it makes you think what/who is responsible!? I know that we as americans always want answers, but I'm beggining to think that no matter what we do/say/impliment there are always going to be cowards who decide to kill others, and then turn the gun on themself. I am hoping that this spurt of terror is completely random, and is not "copy-cat" cases.

I know that I am just rambling on about nothing, but I am just speechless/pissed off after reading various news reports on all of the poop that is going on these days. :(

:cheers: Heres to 5 o'clock.

Thordic
10-03-2006, 03:37 PM
I know that it was an Amish school. :ninja:

MarkM
10-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Just to throw something else in here. We have had two schools attacked by wack jobs, one with guns (Dunblane) and the other was a machete and I think a rifle, plus we had own very own sniper in Hungerford (all of this almost 10 years ago) Recently there have been a couple of shootings, racial motivated and due to this motivation definately the bad guys had the guns, not regular people so before anyone says I am slurring racial stances...also I didn't say to which race the people were connected ;)
Anyhow point is after Dunblane all guns above a .22 were banned (shotguns are still allowed) , so the only people with access to guns are criminals which will always happen regardless of the laws of the country. However since private ownership of guns is not allowed in the UK the kids (or adults) that have a beef with whoever have no easy access to these weapons. where as in the US as seen on AO many of you own guns which can be got at or 'borrowed', not saying AO gun owners are lax just that the simple fact you have them means others 'could' get to them. many of the school shoot ups by kids have in general turned out to be the father/mothers handgun/s. take those guns away any then they (the people with the screws loose) have to resort to criminal activity to obtain the gun, so there are greater chances for that person to be caught before they do any damage.
So ban the guns and the problem will not go away totally but it will certainly drop in so far as incidents such as this are concerned.
The main problem with a ban in the US is the sheer numbers of guns involved, plus you will get a lot of people screaming about their so called rights...sorry guys you ain't in any danger of an invasion so you don't need the guns. But if you want to think that you are, well anything I say won't change your mind. Eventually your goverment (whichever party) will call enough is enough but how many children will die before this happens.
We don't have metal detectors at our schools (though I think a couple might do in some rather rough areas, but they are looking for knives not guns) as in general we don't need them...I wonder why...oh we don't allow private ownership of guns, so our schoools don't get shot up. BTW this isn't the UK is better than the US kind of reply it is simply we have a system that works. Sure we do have shoootings in this country but by criminals NOT disgruntled teenagers or adults bearing a grudge from their school days.

I know you can make numbers say anything you want if you present them in a certain way but totals are totals however you compile them.

http://www.ichv.org/Statistics.htm it makes for some scary reading.

Comparison of U.S. gun homicides to other industrialized countries:
In 1998 (the most recent year for which this data has been compiled), handguns murdered:

373 people in Germany
151 people in Canada
57 people in Australia
19 people in Japan
54 people in England and Wales, and
11,789 people in the United States
(*Please note that these 1998 numbers account only for HOMICIDES, and do not include suicides, which comprise an even greater number of gun deaths, or unintentional shootings).

An example of how the numbers can be fudged is how other surveys state that Gun related deaths have dropped compared to previous years but the numbers of deaths are still big numbers.

Take my reply in the manner in which is has been made. I am NOT knocking people who wish to own guns but the simple fact of allowed ownership is one of the major causes of incidents that this thread was started about.

Altimas
10-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Take my reply in the manner in which is has been made. I am NOT knocking people who wish to own guns but the simple fact of allowed ownership is one of the major causes of incidents that this thread was started about.

That isn't a fact it is an opinion. The actual act of owning a gun never made anyone want to shoot someone for the heck of it. Because as you well know a gun can't MAKE a human do anything.

punkncat
10-03-2006, 04:05 PM
In 1998 (the most recent year for which this data has been compiled), handguns murdered:

373 people in Germany
151 people in Canada
57 people in Australia
19 people in Japan
(*Please note that these 1998 numbers account only for HOMICIDES, and do not include suicides, which comprise an even greater number of gun deaths, or unintentional shootings).

An example of how the numbers can be fudged is how other surveys state that Gun related deaths have dropped compared to previous years but the numbers of deaths are still big numbers.

Not trying to knock your numbers, just as a point of reference, are those figures available calculated in shootings per 1000, or are there reliable population #'s for those years/countries?

It seems to me like (and I very easily could be wrong) but when you compare deaths in say Germany as compared to the US there is a great disparity in land mass and possibly population. Still these numbers are quite discouraging.

MarkM
10-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Not trying to knock your numbers, just as a point of reference, are those figures available calculated in shootings per 1000, or are there reliable population #'s for those years/countries?

It seems to me like (and I very easily could be wrong) but when you compare deaths in say Germany as compared to the US there is a great disparity in land mass and possibly population. Still these numbers are quite discouraging.

Per head of populations is always going to skew the percentage numbers but the totals can't be argued with. Click the link in my post for the site and they 'should' show how they reached those figures.

Altimas, if you were not allowed to own a gun you would have to resort to other means to obtain one, re-read my entire reply with some kind of open mind.
More of the kids shooting up the schools is done with the parents or friends parents weapons than the disturbed teeanger going to his local shady corner gun dealer and getting his mac-10 that way.

Altimas
10-03-2006, 05:00 PM
I understand your point Mark, I don't really agree with it but I understand it. Here are some other numbers to toss around with the sources:

Guns used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year -- or about 6,850 times a day.1 This means that each year, firearms are used more than 60 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives.

Of the 2.5 million times citizens use their guns to defend themselves every year, the overwhelming majority merely brandish their gun or fire a warning shot to scare off their attackers. Less than 8% of the time, a citizen will kill or wound his/her attacker.2

1 Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz, "Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense With a Gun," 86 The Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, Northwestern University School of Law, 1 (Fall 1995):164.

2 Kleck and Gertz, "Armed Resistance to Crime," at 173, 185

Had to go home before I could finish but that spreads a little more light...

SlartyBartFast
10-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Why do you think they are doing this at schools? Cause know one has a gun and no one will challenge them.

Actually, for the most part, I'd say schools are chosen because school is at the center of their torment.

High school particualrly is one of the most vile, nasty, and negative environment to have to endure if you're not one of the in-crowd or successfully avoid persecution by them.

The bullied are far more likely to be punished or told to modify their behaviour than those doing the bullying.

The lucky ones avoid it and enjoy high school or successfully ignore the negatives. Others endure it to varying degrees of success. Those pushed over the edge end up committing suicide or commiting one massive violent outburst to try and impose somesemblence of empowerment.

While there are genuine nut-jobs taht will take pleasure in inflicting harm on innocent lives, those are mostly serial-killer types. It takes a community to raise a monster that has the level of hatred to seekout and target their peers.

It doesn't justify the actions in anywhay. But consider that the postal shootings were as much a product of the toxic environment of the workplace as the mental stability of the shooter.

SCpoloRicker
10-03-2006, 05:16 PM
SlartyBartFast: My lawn. You. Off.

SlartyBartFast
10-03-2006, 05:23 PM
SlartyBartFast: My lawn. You. Off.

This isn't your lawn. If you've got an issue with what I said, out with it. I'd hope you can have an intelligent discussion.

You think schools are chosen at random?

What was Columbine? What was the recent shooting of a director by a bullied teen? Here in Hudson a bullied teen was arrested for supporting the Dawson shooter on-line and making threats of his own. The recent shooting was supposedly linked to revenge for some event in the shooter's childhood.

The Dawson shooter, while not connected to that college, from his on-line rants was obviously marginalised by his peers during his school years.

Have YOU ever woken up in a panic on a school day? Thrown up just knowing you have to go to school and be forced to meet your tormentors? Had to fear for your physical safety because someone just picked you at random as their punching bag and play thing?

NONE of that justifies the actions of the shooters. I'm glad they're dead. But wouldn't it be better to stop it before it happens an no innocent lives were lost either?

tropical_fishy
10-03-2006, 05:50 PM
You know what's interesting? It seems like before, it was kids shooting up schools. They were pushed too far, or whatever the excuse was. Now it's older men shooting up schools as a way to get at and molest teenage females. That's a scary, scary change. Both this and the recent Colorado shooting... disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

Steelrat
10-03-2006, 05:55 PM
This isn't your lawn. If you've got an issue with what I said, out with it. I'd hope you can have an intelligent discussion.

Wow. I think he is right. It's not your lawn Ricker. Sorry.

beam
10-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Just to throw something else in here. We have had two schools attacked by wack jobs, one with guns (Dunblane) and the other was a machete and I think a rifle, plus we had own very own sniper in Hungerford (all of this almost 10 years ago) Recently there have been a couple of shootings, racial motivated and due to this motivation definately the bad guys had the guns, not regular people so before anyone says I am slurring racial stances...also I didn't say to which race the people were connected ;)
Anyhow point is after Dunblane all guns above a .22 were banned (shotguns are still allowed) , so the only people with access to guns are criminals which will always happen regardless of the laws of the country. However since private ownership of guns is not allowed in the UK the kids (or adults) that have a beef with whoever have no easy access to these weapons. where as in the US as seen on AO many of you own guns which can be got at or 'borrowed', not saying AO gun owners are lax just that the simple fact you have them means others 'could' get to them. many of the school shoot ups by kids have in general turned out to be the father/mothers handgun/s. take those guns away any then they (the people with the screws loose) have to resort to criminal activity to obtain the gun, so there are greater chances for that person to be caught before they do any damage.
So ban the guns and the problem will not go away totally but it will certainly drop in so far as incidents such as this are concerned.
The main problem with a ban in the US is the sheer numbers of guns involved, plus you will get a lot of people screaming about their so called rights...sorry guys you ain't in any danger of an invasion so you don't need the guns. But if you want to think that you are, well anything I say won't change your mind. Eventually your goverment (whichever party) will call enough is enough but how many children will die before this happens.
We don't have metal detectors at our schools (though I think a couple might do in some rather rough areas, but they are looking for knives not guns) as in general we don't need them...I wonder why...oh we don't allow private ownership of guns, so our schoools don't get shot up. BTW this isn't the UK is better than the US kind of reply it is simply we have a system that works. Sure we do have shoootings in this country but by criminals NOT disgruntled teenagers or adults bearing a grudge from their school days.

I know you can make numbers say anything you want if you present them in a certain way but totals are totals however you compile them.

http://www.ichv.org/Statistics.htm it makes for some scary reading.

373 people in Germany
151 people in Canada
57 people in Australia
19 people in Japan

Liberty vs. Securty Mark

That's the issue. As a country that values the personal liberty to own a firearm, we open ourselves up to being shot at by the populace at large. Is the answer really to take away the guns? Come on...the shooting of another person is just a symptom of a deeper issue.

And just so you know...2nd amendment...yeah, that's not just there in case an alien nation invades us...it's there in case we need to bear arms against our own country...the U.S. God help us that it would NEVER come to that.

MarkM
10-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Liberty vs. Securty Mark

That's the issue. As a country that values the personal liberty to own a firearm, we open ourselves up to being shot at by the populace at large. Is the answer really to take away the guns? Come on...the shooting of another person is just a symptom of a deeper issue.

And just so you know...2nd amendment...yeah, that's not just there in case an alien nation invades us...it's there in case we need to bear arms against our own country...the U.S. God help us that it would NEVER come to that.

I understand the reply you have given me and it is the same one trotted out every time anyone and I do mean anyone calls for arms control. The 2nd amendment will continue to be argued for many years to come it doesn't change that when it was written the newly formed United States was in fear of invasion from Great Britain and so the amendment was passed to allow the populace to supplement the regular army in case of invasion, hence the term 'militia' is used. You will not agree with me since you brought the 2nd amendment subject up.

Your 1st paragraph, yes the you could say that however take away the legal guns and you will restrict the shooting incidents. I am not saying for one second that killings would stop ever as illegal guns will still be available but they are (currently) in lesser numbers compared to the currently legally held ones. Take away the instrument and then work on the causes for the gun being used as the cure.

We will not agree on the 2nd amendment subject, however you should be able see what I am getting at with the other point.

beam
10-03-2006, 09:10 PM
I understand the reply you have given me and it is the same one trotted out every time anyone and I do mean anyone calls for arms control. The 2nd amendment will continue to be argued for many years to come it doesn't change that when it was written the newly formed United States was in fear of invasion from Great Britain and so the amendment was passed to allow the populace to supplement the regular army in case of invasion, hence the term 'militia' is used. You will not agree with me since you brought the 2nd amendment subject up.

Your 1st paragraph, yes the you could say that however take away the legal guns and you will restrict the shooting incidents. I am not saying for one second that killings would stop ever as illegal guns will still be available but they are (currently) in lesser numbers compared to the currently legally held ones. Take away the instrument and then work on the causes for the gun being used as the cure.

We will not agree on the 2nd amendment subject, however you should be able see what I am getting at with the other point.

I totally see what you're getting at. But the fact of the matter is this...in America, guns are not only a right to own, but they are considered "good" for many people. I would say the vast majority of gun owners in the U.S. consider having a gun a "good" thing. So why take the "good" thing away from the law abiding citizen who a) has the right to own a gun and b) gets enjoyment out of owning a gun? Just because some wackos offed people with them? I tell you, we would be much safer banning driving. Because some people drink and drive...or how about not banning driving...ban drinking. When did BANNING something EVER WORK?

If banning something worked...let's ban crime.

Recon by Fire
10-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Please, let's not presume to wave the UK as a wonderful crime free environment.

Why do people do this? Because they are F'd up in the head, there is no sane answer for an insane act. I saw today that his notes listed some clues to his acts:

1. He admitted molesting some under-age family members several years ago.
2. He has never gotten over the loss of his own infant child.
3. He said he was "getting revenge"...

So somehow this all adds up to shooting and killing several young girls in an Amish school. He has earned a special place in hell and I hope he burns bright and hot for all eternity. You have issues, cannot cope, etc...fine, shoot yourself, quite wasting our oxygen. But don't bestow your losership upon others in your exit.

:mad:

bornl33t
10-04-2006, 07:16 AM
why didn't they include Switzerland or Israel in that statistic? oh and per capita does make a difference.
I'm curious to see what Americas population looks like in comparison to those other countries. I've never cared till now.

Thordic
10-04-2006, 07:56 AM
If you run the US per capita numbers, they are still somewhat high.

But every time I see those stats compiled, it includes "legal" shootings involving cops shooting a suspect. Which further skews the numbers since cops in some countries, such as Britain, don't carry firearms.

Personally I don't see why a Canadian and an Englishman are here debating US gun control laws. You don't like it? Don't live here. Wait, thats right, you DON'T live here. So who cares, you like the gun control laws in your country, thats fine. The majority of the people here in the US are comfortable with how our current gun laws are set up, and thats just the way it is.

MarkM
10-04-2006, 09:02 AM
Please, let's not presume to wave the UK as a wonderful crime free environment.

I didn't I quite clearly said we have gun related crime here, our numbers are simply lower due to the fact that handguns are banned, as the only avenues to get guns are illegal channels.

If you run the US per capita numbers, they are still somewhat high.

But every time I see those stats compiled, it includes "legal" shootings involving cops shooting a suspect. Which further skews the numbers since cops in some countries, such as Britain, don't carry firearms.

Personally I don't see why a Canadian and an Englishman are here debating US gun control laws. You don't like it? Don't live here. Wait, thats right, you DON'T live here. So who cares, you like the gun control laws in your country, thats fine. The majority of the people here in the US are comfortable with how our current gun laws are set up, and thats just the way it is.

Again, you can skew numbers to help any cause, or debate. As for not living where you are, well that took a leap didn't it? This thread is full of concerns,worries and outrage as to what has happened (thread subject) I have given you a possible solution and you appear to not like this solution. If you are a legal gun owner then I would expect this due to your 2nd Amendment. As I have already said to another if you are holding that up as your reason for ownership then no amount of debate from my side will change that view. We, as in you and me have had this exact conversation before. Just take a step back and understand you can't complain about a situation and then fall back on 'that's just the way it is'. Debate and possible solutions are what made your country how it is today, this applies to my country too. Take any country that has done something that isn't seen as 'good' and of course you will shout that it is wrong, as you are using your own countrys values and laws and applying them to another, is this correct? Yes it is is, however is it morally correct? Yes, in the eyes of the country suggesting for the same views to be taken. Ask a person from the country in question if they agree and the answer will come back as 'No'. This is exactly what you have just done. You can apply the last reasoning from me in lot of other situations both current and historical. I know it isn't going to change your mind but be aware of other peoples views, that in this case (mine) have been put forward without passion.

SlartyBartFast
10-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Personally I don't see why a Canadian and an Englishman are here debating US gun control laws.

Funny. Is there another Canadian in this thread? I stayed away from the gun control issue.

But that being said, discussion and solutions about problems in society benefit from larger view points ands ideas.

That and Canada has the unfortunate place of having the first shooting by a student in a school in North America. 1973 or 75 in Ontario I believe.

These latest cases are creepy as it seems it's a sexual devience directed towards young girls that drove the shooters. But then again the Dawson shooter seemed to be most agressive to girls (more women injured, only one killed was a woman) and the Polytehnique shooting spree was completely directed against women (16 killed).

When the general reaction to someone with perverse thoughts or problems seems to be along the lines of Recons thgouhts "But don't bestow your losership upon others", how does society find these people and help or control them before they snap, or how does a person who is uncomfortable with their inner demons approach anyone for help?

More guns/Less guns are both simplistic and incomplete solutions. You can never eliminate all weapons (as in the UK airguns began to be used, in Canada legal registered guns were used), you can never be everywhere with protection (unless you desire an Orwelian society and give up your freedom for security and didn't Ben Franklin have something to say about that?).

SCpoloRicker
10-04-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm going to fisk this briefly, and to start, my initial point was about "High school is so terrible, the horror, the horror."

I know that's not all, but you come back to it, and again, meh.

You think schools are chosen at random? of course not.

What was Columbine? What was the recent shooting of a director by a bullied teen? Here in Hudson a bullied teen was arrested for supporting the Dawson shooter on-line and making threats of his own. The recent shooting was supposedly linked to revenge for some event in the shooter's childhood. Supposedly? Maybe there is a copycat effect here?]

The Dawson shooter, while not connected to that college, from his on-line rants was obviously marginalised by his peers during his school years. Being marginalized doesn't justify/explain becoming violent.

Have YOU ever woken up in a panic on a school day? Thrown up just knowing you have to go to school and be forced to meet your tormentors? Had to fear for your physical safety because someone just picked you at random as their punching bag and play thing? Uh, no. Listen, being a teenager is tough. I'm sure I had days where I was down in the dumps. But I think you're overreacting here. You create your own reality.

NONE of that justifies the actions of the shooters. I'm glad they're dead. But wouldn't it be better to stop it before it happens an no innocent lives were lost either? Absolutley. I never disagreed that these events are horrible. I don't think radical gun control is a solution.

Again, my smarmy response was entirely due to your rants about how difficult things are for kids in high school. I don't buy it. Apologies for tone.

edit: Dangit, you got the Franklin quote. ;)

SlartyBartFast
10-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Again, my smarmy response was entirely due to your rants about how difficult things are for kids in high school. I don't buy it. Apologies for tone.

Apologies for tone accepted.

However, if you don't beleive my claims about high school, you were simply one of the lucky ones.

How others treat you or your difficulties in interacting with others does not excuse behaviour IMO. But, we expect bullied children to put up with things "and create their own reality" when we would never consider forcing an adult to put up with the same.

If you're answer to my scenario is "Uh no." then you really have no place belittling the situation by generalising teenage years as "tough". Because you really have no clue and are confusing your awkward years with those that really had a rough time of it.

Would you tell a battered wife that she should learn to get along with her abusive husband? Would you dismiss the complains of a battered woman by saying that relationships are "tough"? Well...

While being marginalised certainly does not excuse behaviour, it certainly explains a lot. If helped to become accepted/acceptable the inexcusable justification and indeed the motive is lost.

SCpoloRicker
10-04-2006, 12:45 PM
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here.

But, we expect bullied children to put up with things "and create their own reality" when we would never consider forcing an adult to put up with the same

The real world is a lot tougher than high school. Losing your job, then your house beats getting picked on at lunch. So, yes, my position is "uh no."

Would you tell a battered wife that she should learn to get along with her abusive husband?

No, I would tell her to leave, and possibly to press charges.

Thanks for being civil, I realize I may have come across too strongly.

SlartyBartFast
10-04-2006, 01:22 PM
The real world is a lot tougher than high school.

And "Picked on"? I'm not talking about being picked on.

Losing your job is certainly worse than losing your lunch money. But fearing for your life IS NOT being "picked on". :mad:

An abused person needs to feel empowered even to just report their abusers. And be certain that action will be taken once the report is made. An abused person in a relationship is lucky that they can leave. There's no way to avoid going to school, they don't let you leave.

By the same token those that aren't abused as far as fearing for their lives are concerned, if they did not learn to deal with stresses constructively when in less important situations like at school are more likely to "go off the deep end" when faced with greater stresses in later life.

tropical_fishy
10-04-2006, 03:07 PM
And "Picked on"? I'm not talking about being picked on.

Losing your job is certainly worse than losing your lunch money. But fearing for your life IS NOT being "picked on". :mad:

An abused person needs to feel empowered even to just report their abusers. And be certain that action will be taken once the report is made. An abused person in a relationship is lucky that they can leave. There's no way to avoid going to school, they don't let you leave.

By the same token those that aren't abused as far as fearing for their lives are concerned, if they did not learn to deal with stresses constructively when in less important situations like at school are more likely to "go off the deep end" when faced with greater stresses in later life.

I have to agree with you for the most part, but after observing a roommate in an abusive relationship, I have to say, it's never just as easy as "leaving." Besides, the abuse in an abusive relationship is MUCH more personal and... close... than being picked on or hazed or whatever happens to kids in school. It's unfair to compare the two.