PDA

View Full Version : Milling a MicroMag

Shingo
10-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Just want to know if any of you have milled your MicroMag bodies... I know a few have done it. But I want to know:

- If you have pics of a re-milled Micromag (please post so we can see)
- Pointers on what makes a good milling design (pics??)
- Heads up on what I should watch out for
- Horror stories of milling gone wrong (pics??)

There is a lot of aluminum on a MicroMag body... I want to try to see how much lighter and extreme looking I can make it. :headbang:

~Shingo~

Pneumagger
10-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Nicad did one.

Uhh, don't use a dremel.

Shingo
10-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Nicad did one.

Uhh, don't use a dremel.

Dremel :spit_take I've contacted Luke for this project already.

Does anyone know how much of the classic valve can be exposed and still have a decent seal?

~Shingo~

StygShore
10-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Micromags

I had 2 done.

The first one was done manually, so we didn't get too crazy. It was an older power feed body style. We milled the side down so they were much thinner then took the entire site rail off, and shortened the valve shroud and angled the bottom of the rail area under the valve up more - just straight easy cuts.

the second one I ordered raw from PTP, got it all as a assembled raw product - Programmed it into the mill, was going to cut some flames across the top and along the sides and round it off a bit.... didn't happen, mounting was improper for the program, and it trashed the body, cut right into the chamber, and looked like hell - was not even useable it was so bad -- wasted a lot of money on that project.

My suggestion - Keep it simple!!!! you will have less problems.

Styg

Marroonblooded
10-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Interested in this myself, have called around but nobody really too enthus'ed about it... and I don't know the best way to go about it either... No help to you, but I am looking too, I want to make this lighter, esp. after getting a revy, that crap adds some weight up there...

If not, guess it will just be more motivation to hit the gym... gotta lift that gun easier
:)

StygShore
10-06-2006, 02:14 PM
check out RRfireblades thread in the dealers section.

He can probably mill a Micromag as well as anyone with all the years he spent workign on them :) He cut up my X-mag ( yeah you read that right ) and did a pretty good job on it for me.

Styg

Shingo
10-06-2006, 04:03 PM
check out RRfireblades thread in the dealers section. He can probably mill a Micromag as well as anyone with all the years he spent workign on them :) He cut up my X-mag ( yeah you read that right ) and did a pretty good job on it for me.

Styg

Styg, have a pic of that X-Mag?

I would pass my MicroMag to RRfireblades to do this project. But I'm embarresed to send him my hack DIY PneuMicroMag knowing that he designed the best PneuMag on the planet. It's like serving fried eggs to Emeril Lagasse as an appetizer. I'M NOT WORTHY!!! :hail:

Jay, if you're up for it, I would be happy to share my ideas with you and would be honored to have you slice and dice my MicroMag. Just no comments on my DYI PneuMag work.

~Shingo~

StygShore
10-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Almost... its currently at ODD getting some fancy work done to it, and then it will be back to Jay for final assembly and tuning... hope to have it back in time to make the MOTM for October

Styg

StygShore
10-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Dremel :spit_take I've contacted Luke for this project already.

Does anyone know how much of the classic valve can be exposed and still have a decent seal?

~Shingo~

There is no seal.. The valve does not actually seal into the body at all - cut it all the way up tot he springs if you wanted too... try not to get too much dirt in there though...

esentially, the tube is just that a tube to guide everything down and screw the barrel into.

Styg

Shingo
10-06-2006, 06:42 PM
There is no seal.. The valve does not actually seal into the body at all - cut it all the way up tot he springs if you wanted too... try not to get too much dirt in there though...

esentially, the tube is just that a tube to guide everything down and screw the barrel into.

Styg

That's what I thought... I'm planning on exposing about 70% or more of the valve's mid section. Kinda like a mag version of a girl's half shirt and showing off a polished valve belly. :cool:

I just wish I can see some pictures of Micro bodies that have been milled... good or bad.

~Shingo~

RRfireblade
10-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Styg, have a pic of that X-Mag?

I would pass my MicroMag to RRfireblades to do this project. But I'm embarresed to send him my hack DIY PneuMicroMag .....

Absolute nonsense. Don't even give it a second thought.

StygShore
10-06-2006, 09:05 PM
That's what I thought... I'm planning on exposing about 70% or more of the valve's mid section. Kinda like a mag version of a girl's half shirt and showing off a polished valve belly. :cool:

I just wish I can see some pictures of Micro bodies that have been milled... good or bad.

~Shingo~

PM me your email address and i will mail you a few pics of the older milled micro - nothign all that fancy, but you can see it can be done

Styg

RRfireblade
10-06-2006, 09:06 PM
You can use this one...

FirebladeCustoms@Yahoo.com

:)

StygShore
10-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Not you... I was talkin to Shingo...

unless you want to host the pic, its nothing all that fancy, my Snapfish account just doesnt let me host pics anymore

Styg