PDA

View Full Version : Paintball and Websense

JRingold
10-07-2006, 10:51 AM
For any of you who work in corporate environments, I went through the trouble to have www.airgun.com reclassified by websense from "weapons" to "sports: shooting and gun clubs".

I was pretty mad a them when they had it first classified as weapons. I submitted to have it reclassified and they said that it belonged in weapons. Then I went through and submitted to have Smart Parts, WGP, WDP, Tippmann, BT, Dye, Planet Eclipse, etc. reclassified as weapons as they had done to AGD. Wouldn't you know it, they decided to change their minds...

Now it's not blocked for me at the office anymore!

robnix
10-07-2006, 10:57 AM
For any of you who work in corporate environments, I went through the trouble to have www.airgun.com reclassified by websense from "weapons" to "sports: shooting and gun clubs".

I was pretty mad a them when they had it first classified as weapons. I submitted to have it reclassified and they said that it belonged in weapons. Then I went through and submitted to have Smart Parts, WGP, WDP, Tippmann, BT, Dye, Planet Eclipse, etc. reclassified as weapons as they had done to AGD. Wouldn't you know it, they decided to change their minds...

Now it's not blocked for me at the office anymore!

Nice job.

91Foxtrot
10-07-2006, 02:55 PM
My work has a weekly want ads database. Once I submitted a "WTB old paintball gear" ad and they rejected it due to paintball equipment being weaponry. I decided not to bother complaining. Of course there are probably hundred of KP3s out there begging to be sold for next to nothing, so maybe I'll give it another try sometime...

skipdogg
10-07-2006, 09:48 PM
thanks!!!

websense is retarded. It makes me furious when they classify paintball as weapons too. Guess I don't have to worry about the AGD site anymore. THANK YOU. I hate ignorance...

buzzboy
10-08-2006, 06:40 AM
I know being in school is different but our "Lightspeed" calls this and most other paintball "violence". Though I do know a couple ways around it. [cough]proxify[cough] [cough]urlwash[cough] ;)

One time ours classified one thing and blocked it as "educational". That really stumped me(and our network admin).

warpfeedmod
10-09-2006, 09:34 AM
I dunno why, but my work doesn't block www.airgun.com, yet store.airgun.com is blocked and classified as "weapons"

Hexis
10-09-2006, 09:41 AM
The problem is that they don't have catagories for this kind of thing. And if they add them, they get too many catagories.

Really how do you come up with a finite set of catagories that you can fit the entire Internet in?

warbeak2099
10-09-2006, 10:50 AM
allnettools.com lol. proxy!

JRingold
10-14-2006, 10:12 AM
If your people have put in a content filter and not filtering proxies... :tard:

they should all be fired. :rofl:

I didn't check store, I'll look into it on Monday...

Draken
10-14-2006, 10:31 AM
our websense at work doesn't block anything paintball related, but good job getting your IT people to unblock it :)

The way I get around it is I use remote desktop to my home computer, don't have to worry about proxies or anything like that, and they can't block remote desktop since I have to use it for client systems :)