PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs Help with New Setup

psyop66
12-27-2001, 11:31 PM
I am brand new to Paintball and need some advise. I've heard a lot og great things about automag and have decided on the brand. Now for the Gun. I really like the look of the RT Pro, but have been told that these require HPA, which is much more expensive to setup than CO2. So here are my questions:

1) As a newbie, is the RT Pro overkill?
2) What other Automags would be good?
3) I've seen posts for the RT Pro for $450 new w/o intelli frames, what is a intelliframe?
4) What are a few good sites for package deals?

Thanks for you help.

Psyop

zvanut
12-27-2001, 11:34 PM
hey, welcome to AO

what guns have u owned before

an RT is a good upgrade but there r like 5 or 6 mags to choose from. RTs, as do e-mags require HPA, minis, classics, and p/fs do not, but work better w/ it.

Hope That Helps,
Ryan Zvanut

psyop66
12-27-2001, 11:37 PM
Actually, this would be my first gun. I have only rented spyders in the past.

I would like to stay in the Automag family. What other models would you recommend that will handle CO2 and HPA?

Thanks
Jay

zvanut
12-27-2001, 11:50 PM
how much do u have to spend on everything, do u have any gear already?

psyop66
12-27-2001, 11:58 PM
I had budgeted $650-750 for the whole setup, but obviously would be happier spending less. I saw a couple of sights selling the Flatline for $200, is that a good price?

Jay

zvanut
12-28-2001, 12:04 AM
hmmm....... lets see

minimag
www.paintballgear.com (309)

flatline nitro
(200 wherever)

mask of choice
(20-100)

hopper
(revvy 40-60)(richochet varies)(halo 135?)

paint
(whatever wherever)

lands around 600-700

nutz
12-28-2001, 12:59 AM
or do what zvanut said and tone down on ur tank choice, a pmi steel 68ci would be a good newbie choice for starters...

DrEvil
12-28-2001, 01:06 AM
yeah id get the paintballgear.com minimag on sale for 299 (just got the email) and a fixed HPA tank like the PMI or the Crossfire. they are only 69.99. Although the agitated hoppers are great I dont see any problem with just getting a regular nonagitated hopper to start off with. Thats what I did. Start out within some limits and add on as you find what you really need. No sense goin off and spendin $700 on your first gun. Although I agree that you cant go wrong with any type of mag. I ll never go back.

toymyster
12-28-2001, 03:35 AM
Go with Dr. evil's suggestion, except get the agitated hopper, and a drop forward!!! That is a very nice setup ant it will fit right into your budget!! And with the money you have left over, get a nice barrel!!!

irbodden
12-28-2001, 08:42 AM
Buy a used Mag, I have seen some sweet ones selling for $200 and up, and all you would need is a tank and a hopper.

Lets just say the Mag you buy has some nicks and doesn't look all great, you can get a powdercoat (paintjob) from a member on the board and make it look amazing for while under $50. Fades, solids, reptile print, etc. etc.

OldSchoolMag
12-28-2001, 12:08 PM
1) As a newbie, yeah, I'd say the RT Pro is a bit over kill. Plus, you'd barely have enough for the gun to start out - I just spent about 600 on my RT Pro, and then you'd only have about 150 left max, there's a tank, a hopper, etc...
2)You'd probably be happy with an Automag Classic, and then you could upgrade to a Retro Valve later on. Minimags are nice, more compact, with a better warranty, same talent.
3)An Intelliframe is an AGD produced double trigger frame offered in a variety of styles (Chrome, Black Polished, Black Matte, Double Trigger Groove, Blade - like one LONG trigger) and is made to be able to connect to the VL Revolution - an agitated hopper (has a little fan-like mechanism that spins the balls so they will drop into the 'gun faster than they would normally - so that at every trigger pull, the fan would spin, and balls would drop when you needed them. This is a nice option, but not at all required to play the sport.
4)I like 888paintball.com the best, I ordered my new stuff from them, Plus, FREE 2-3 day shipping on phone orders! paintballgear.com is also nice, and even e-bay for used and new markers.
Hope this helps!

skipdogg
12-28-2001, 12:11 PM
IMO RT Pro is overkill for your first gun. I will recommend a powerfeed mag, or a minimag

Miscue
12-28-2001, 12:28 PM
That Minimag deal for $309 is a good deal. I'd go with that, the 68/3000 Flatline for $200, a revy, maybe a barrel or two of varying bore sizes. You can swap your valve for a Retro later for $200. Add an Intelliframe later for $115 and really you'll functionally have same thing as an RT Pro for around same price. Cosmetic and minor differences is all.

Thordic
12-28-2001, 01:10 PM
$448.93 for: Hopper Right MiniMag, 12V revvy, JT Flex-7 Thermals, and a Shocktech d/f at Action Village.

Add a ~$200 Flatline, tack on shipping, and you have around $675 for a nice MiniMag setup.

Buying used might save you $100 or more, however.

psyop66
12-28-2001, 11:15 PM
I would really like to thank everyone for their advice. I will be getting a minimag plus accessories. It lloks like actionvilliage.com, unless someone can point me to a place that is cheaper?

Again thanks and I look forward to posting more on this great site and maybe seeing some of you on the field, if your in SoCal drop me a line.

Jay

IceCool32
12-28-2001, 11:21 PM
Not that I'm biased or anything, but I'd suggest either a Spyder Shutter(since it's your first), ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR http://www.actionvillage.com/010-1012-1.html that Mag deal, looks awesome to me, and you'd still have $350 left over for a drop, tank, mask, and revy.

omni
12-28-2001, 11:43 PM
Don't get a spyder, stick to a mag. If you were to get a spyder down the road ina few weeks to months of play you're just gonna want to get a Mag.

like me :)

I started with a Comp2k added a reg and some other stuff, then I saw a mag, and I picked up one used with a MaxFlo.

SoupRman
12-28-2001, 11:49 PM
as a guy that never owned a marker before you should... buy the basics, auto/mini mag of yoru choice (hopper left if yoru right handed, hopper right if your left handed), 200 round hopper, gun oil, mask (can't forget this one) and a 20 oz. tank. then play once with it. and if you like it you can start upgrading. 47/68 ci steel tank, 9-12 vt. revolution. then this gets into, packs + tubes, squeegees, pads, and upgrades such as drop forward, new grip frame, retro valve, warp, and others.

but always make sure you have money for paint!

hubadlatimmy
12-28-2001, 11:49 PM
There is a guy on here that goes by tunaman find him and send him a personal message he builds mags in his spare time and could put you together a really nice mag rt,micro,powerfeed,minimag whatever you want for somewhere around $400-$500 just talkto him.

MantisMag
12-30-2001, 01:17 AM
what sites have the flatline for $200? i always see it for $300.

paintbattler
12-30-2001, 11:16 AM
mantis mag try www.paintballgames.com they have a great deal on flatlines for 200. if i was new and was gettin mag.i wood get a classic and upgrade it like ****