PDA

View Full Version : how would this set-up work?

swede21
10-09-2006, 05:11 PM
hey everyone!
i'm new to this forum (and new to forums in general - yes, i've been hiding in a box) so please forgive me if any of these questions have been covered before.
i was thinking of picking up a new automag to use for rec-ball, and MAYBE some LIMITED speed-ball games (mostly rec, though). this is the set-up i'm looking at:

classic pro
w/ level 10 bolt
ule body
palmer's vertical stabilizer
intelliframe (hooked up to a revy)
w/ a standard co2 tank mounted horizontally on a drop forward

how do you think this would work? :confused:
most of the games we play are hopper only, or very limited paint. i'm not expecting to empty hopper in 4 seconds or stand on the trigger the whole game (i'm old school, and believe that there is more to the game than how many b.p.s my electric blender can put downfield - i'll get off my soapbox now...) ;)
i know mags don't like co2, but i mostly play on a private field and hpa is not availabe (and i dont want to haul a bunch of scuba tanks around - been there, done that). i know that an anti-siphon would help, but those have to be made to fit each individual gun (screw the tank in all the way, mark the valve top, take off tank, unscrew valve from tank, attach copper tubing with bend pointing toward mark on vavle, etc.). i don't know of any paintball shops around here (portland, oregon) that would do this (or at least ones that i would trust to do this). i don't want to go with a remote system.
so, does anyone see any major problems with the above set-up?
is anyone running something similar?
would the palmer's stabilizer be better than an expansion chamber (i've never used either)?
any advice or opinions would be appreciated.
thanks!
swede21 :cheers:

Papa_Smurf
10-09-2006, 05:19 PM
you can skip the anti siphon and expansion chamber if you use a vertical adapter

benzy2
10-09-2006, 05:30 PM
You dont want another reg on a mag. There is a quality one in the back of the valve and using another very often will starve the gun of the air it needs. I would think just using a gas through would work fine. You have a lot of surface area from the drop forward into the gas through then through the hose back to the valve. From what it sounds like you are using this for I would think that you would be fine with a gas through and you wouldnt have the issues of starving the gun.

Hexis
10-09-2006, 05:37 PM
As an anti liquid measure you can't really get better than a Palmer Stab. If running HPA, then it's best to avoid the third reg (Tank is one, Valve is on, vert HPR is the 3rd).

Marroonblooded
10-09-2006, 05:48 PM
as long as you are pretty easy on your trigger, you should be fine, esp. in woodsball/non-speedball. You just have to wait and see how it goes, I have played around a bit with my mag and my brothers plain co2 tank and had no problems. But if you ever start to shoot quick it goes south or can at least. Get an Expansion Chamber and get the anti-siphon tank (I think they are like 40 if you don't want you or someone else to make it), but the chamber can only do so much... and O-rings are expensive (20 bucks for a complete o-ring kit from www.airguns.com) I would say to either make your own or trust one of the shops to do it... if the screw it up you can probably talk them in to giving you a new valve or something.

As far as I know, the stabilizer is just a regulator and is not necessary on an automag due to it having a highly acclaimed internal reg. But I have seen/heard of some people using the palmer stabilizer on their mags, so I guess it doesn't hurt. I still think that an expansion chamber would do more as they are usually larger and most likely have more chambers for CO2 to expand than most regulators.

Papa smurf has point as well, if you have your tank verticle (in front of your frame/handle and trigger) you will not need any thing, most likely. Just doesn't quite look/ handle as well as the tank being any where else.

You sure do have a high output gun for not wanting to spray some paint (intelli frame and such)

fshrmn76
10-09-2006, 06:16 PM
When I play in the woods I typically use the same type (expansion chamber instead of Palmer's vertical stabilizer) setup you are suggesting. I have only ever run into problems when I shoot fast and the reg freezes up, or don't pay attention while walking to the field and carry the gun with the barrel facing down and the gas on. This can cause a really hot shot to be fired and usually results in cleaning of the barrel. Other than those two things I never have problems running CO2.

Shirow
10-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Well, if you want to shoot a mag on CO2 that's pretty much your only option.. none of the other valves are going to work with CO2.

As long as you don't try to shoot too fast or play in very cold weather, you'll be OK. Just be ready for the inevitable drawbacks of using CO2.