PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys bring PB guns on your flight.

Bonx0007
12-28-2001, 02:15 AM
Hello all. I will be making the venture out to chicago to play in the shatner scenario game. I was wondering what methods all of you use when traveling to tourny's and scenario's and so forth. I was told to get a gun case that locks. I also have to declare it at the baggage counter. .... Well I am still weary of this so please give me any info you can on how to fly with your marker.

thanks in Advance

zads27
12-28-2001, 03:51 AM
Something that locks, yes you probably should declare it, but BE CAREFUL of what you say.. WORD CHOICE is extremely vital here.. you say the word "gun" at all and they may question you for hours because of that, especially now.

With the bag searches and such, you may have to explain a lot if they make you open your bag, and you have a pb marker in there.

Try shipping your stuff there (the pb field), or alternative means.. flying is very iffy right now.

StanBo
12-28-2001, 07:17 AM
You might want to look into one of those hard shell cases that musicians use for their equipment. They have wheels, lock up and look indestructible.

I have also read that some guys remove the regulator from their tanks. I would at least have the tank empty.

irbodden
12-28-2001, 08:32 AM
Planning a good 7 monthes in advanced huh? If you have an AGD case, that will work on a plane as well. :cool:

irbodden
12-28-2001, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by zads27
flying is very iffy right now.

It wont be a problem as long as you check the bag in at the door, his not talking about bringing it on the plane with him :rolleyes:

iisp0tii
12-28-2001, 09:12 AM
if i were you, i would take the regulator off my tank(remeber to bring lock-tite!), take my gun apart(its always fun to put stuff back together), lock it in a hard case, & have them take it to the cargo part of the plane(i think thats what its called).

Muzikman
12-28-2001, 10:35 AM
The taking of the marker it's self would not be a issue. Trying to get a tank on a plane would be very difficult right now. Your best bet is to package it up and FedEx it to the location you will be at. You can either FedEx it to the hotel, the field you will be playing at or a place such as Mail Boxes Ect. You will want to make arrangements with the place of destination first. When I flew out to AGD in Nov for the tour. I contacted US Air multiple times about it and after 3 or 4 long talks with them, I thought it was best to ship the equipment. Also, most airlines only insure your baggage for around $1250. This may or may not cover your gear.

One piece of advice, if you decide to try to fly with your gear. Make sure you get to the airport about 4 hours early. Also make sure you have your gear in a box that approved for USPS shipping. If something goes wrong and they will not let your gear on, you can run it to the in airport FexEx, DHL, or USPS and have it shipped.

slateman
12-28-2001, 10:41 AM
Take it apart. I don't mean just take the barrel out. Take out the internals and store them seperatly. If you can, take the gripframe off the gun. Drain your tank completly and remove the burst disk. It might be a good idea to ship it Fed Ex. And finally, don't write or even say the word "gun". You will be stopped and questioned.

P.S. You may want to consider having a couple of your teamates drive up there with all your gear.

Bonx0007
12-28-2001, 11:15 AM
Well driving is out of the question. I live in California. Anyway, my uncle is a thrower(baggage handler) He said that their are hunters that go east to hunt all the time and they still bring their rifles on the plane. He says they just declare it and them they put it under the plane in the cargo hold. He said that if I can prove that the tank is empty there should not be a problem. I am still weary about this. How many of you have ever shipped your gear ahead of you? I would have to call way ahead of time and ask them to hold it at the desk for me. Oh yeah another weird note. The guy that represents splatt said that we can take our stuff on the plane. Keep the responses coming this is helping me a lot.

Muzikman
12-28-2001, 12:22 PM
This might give you a little more insight...

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/articles/tc_flights.shtml

justinellery
12-28-2001, 09:40 PM
With what I've been hearing on the news I was going to say just stick it in your pocket and walk on the plane!!!!!!!:D In all seriousness though, just disassemble it all and stick it in your check in bag. The will be no problem. If you can take handguns (you can) you can certainly take that paint slinger.

Bonx0007
12-28-2001, 09:52 PM
I can't dis esemble my tank though.

Big Red One
12-28-2001, 11:18 PM
Make sure your tank(s) is empty by shooting it until it no longer will function the gun, then press the valve pin down (with something soft), or take out the burst disc plug. Keep the tank at the top of your luggage so you can get to it quickly, and show officials that it is indeed empty. You must prove this at the check in counter, or you will not be allowed on board with them. If for any reason you have any 12gram powerlets with you, lose them long before you get to the airport.

The gun can be fully disassembled and packed into your luggage with no claim needed. They are NOT firearms, so there is no requirement to declare them, or tag your baggage with a "firearms inside" identifier.

Do NOT take any paintballs with you. The changes in pressure, while not great onboard an aircraft, will be enough to warp the balls terribly.

Call the airline you will be using, they will give you all the latest baggage/check in/security information available.

Good luck:D

virus
12-29-2001, 12:15 AM
ok i used to work and dealt with the hazmat at an airport.... i worked for a subcontracter and i handled fright and hazmat mat. for usair, continetal, air jamica, japan airlines... and a couple of small private cargo planes.......

DISCLAIMER
the following info i dont think has changed much as far as gas cylinders goes... but i could be wrong my info is about 6-7 years old, and i will take a trip bug my brother(works where i used to) dig out the books and get some offical word at somepoint

ok here we go.....
as far as your tanks are concerend..... if there is any pressurized gas in it, that can not escape, for air travel it is considered hazmat.... if you have it empty and are able to leave it in an open and or on posistion, so that the cylinder may remain at a constant pressure equal to the pressure outside of said cylinder will be fine
ie screw in tanks need to
1 be empty
2 either remove burst disk
3 get a remote on/off and screw it all the way in so the tank stays in the on postion
4 take of the reg

1 is manditory 2-4 take your pick

non-screwins
has on/off (hyper/dynaflow, max attk, conquest, etc) leave them in the on position

non-screw with no on/off (ie allways on) your good to go

in all cases there should be NO airline going from the tank to the gun....

for CO2 tanks look above for screwin hpa tank for proper procedure

like i said i will try to get an updated list but as long as the tank is empty and in turned on in some way and no airline runnin to the gun you should be all set.... ust pack it up with plenty of padding.... i used to watch how they handled baggage... its not a pretty sight

Bonx0007
12-29-2001, 01:06 AM
How do you remove a burst disk???

StanBo
12-29-2001, 07:46 AM
Empty the tank and unscrew no?

That would give you an open port so the cylinder would be empty.

MagMan5446
12-29-2001, 08:07 AM
Do ya know what happens when you dont empty the tank completely? As the plane goes up, the pressure increases dramtically inside the tank. Imagine carbon fiber pieces being propelled by 5000 psi. That'll tear most anything apart.

Hasty8
02-26-2002, 11:01 AM
I had the airfare all ready to go and everything. I called up ATA(airline) and La Guardia(airport) to see what had to be donw. They were both very leary(?) of having either air tanks or paintguns on the planes in any fashion.

I was leary of putting my stuff on the plane for fer of never seeing them again. So my brother and I will be renting a convertible and driving it. It's a 13 hours drive from NY to Chi but we broke it into two 6 hours segments.

We'll leave Thursday at around noon, drive about 6 or 7 hours into Beechwood, Ohio and stay at the Beachwood Super 8 then Friday morning continue into Chicago. Kick around Chicago for a day and drive out to Joliet early Sat am. Back to Chi hotel Sat pm and head out back to the Super 8 Sunday afternoon. We should be home by noon on Monday.

I think it would be more fun for my brother and I to drive it anyway. And it's way cheaper too. The cost of the car and the Super 8 and the hotel in Chi is about 1/4 less than my original plan of flying into Chi and staying in the hotel 3 nights.

Bonx0007
02-26-2002, 11:14 AM
I am flying out from LA...

You pulled this post out of the archives. I forgot I wrote it.

XR4
02-27-2002, 09:56 AM
I'm flying to Houston Friday and I'll be taking my soveriegn with me. Who knew one of the only sov distributors in the country is in the same city my mom is moving to. I'll let you know how it goes.

Lates,
XR

Cliffio
02-27-2002, 10:45 AM
THEY WILL NOT LET YOU TAKE YOUR AIR BOTTLE ON BOARD EITHER IN CARRY ON OR PACKED IN YOUR LUGGAGE

at least southwest wont, i know this FOR A FACT, they did not let me take mine on a recent flight, i had to leave it at the airport for the duration of the trip and get it back when i came home

they dont care if its empty, right now you are not allowed to take anything that can contain pressure on the airplane

just a warning, they didnt let me, and they may not let you, just keep an eye out

i talked to them on the phone BEFORE i went and they said it would be no problem, BUT when i got there they wouldnt let me take it aboard, i was pissed....

anyways just be aware, what they say on the phone and what they say when u get there may be different,

if i were you i would just send it fed ex or something like that to someone you know, maybe someone driving to shatnerball, something like that

markers they have no problems with, i left mine all together and they had no problem, as long as its in your baggage that your not taking aboard, its no problem

holla
Cliff

cphilip
02-27-2002, 11:03 AM
Yes, its all due to IATA (International Air Transportation Association) regulations adopted a few years ago which replaced DOT Air transportation regulations. DOT now defers all air to them. They are not a Regulatory branch but they carry the weight of law through DOT defereing to them. The US has adopted all of them and they have all phased in.

The Airlines are all leary of compressed gas cylinders after the Value Jet crash where the supposedly empty Oxygen Generators caused an inflight fire resulting in the plane going down in the Everglades. Lots of deaths. Sparked a whole review and revamp of air transport of cylinders. And eventually the adoption of IATA

Ship it out to yourself is maybe the surest way. It can be air shipped if completely empty. Can hold 30 psi if ground only. Verifying empty is the problem. MOst want to see there is a hole in it so taking out the Burst dissk is one good idea mentioned. But the Airline itself can and do refuse things even when they meet the IATA regs. It's up to them I am afraid. Wish I could give you a straight answer. In the future I am certain it will all sort out but as they are new to this they tend to overinterpret.

beam
02-27-2002, 12:05 PM
Forget about taking it apart and all that...here is what you do:

Make sure your tank is empty....

Package the whole thing up nicely....

And MAIL it to Chicago, just like if you were selling it all to someone there.

See if AGD will let you send it to them, and then pick it up when you get to Chi-Town.

There...done....easy enough!

DJSOLID
02-27-2002, 12:55 PM
I agree with beam. Just UPS it. UPS also allows for a large insurance amount (up to $50,000.00) if you declare it as such - the more the insurance, the higher the cost to ship it though. Your hotel could sign for it and it could actually be there waiting when you arrive. With my job I ship high dollar items all over the place and seldom do they ever lose anything. When you're done, ship it back to yourself. Airlines are whack and their personel are overworked, underpaid and basically uncaring for your situation.

mountaindud
02-28-2002, 09:15 AM
Ccompletely field strip it and mix it up with some other metal parts and tools.