PDA

View Full Version : Vertically mounted CO2

paintballfiend
10-11-2006, 10:37 PM
I am gonna be running a classic vaule with vertically mounted CO2. Is there anything extra I should do or look out for? Also, how many shoots can I get with CO2 (i.e. 9oz, 120z, 20oz)?

Thanks,
PBfiend

shives007
10-11-2006, 11:03 PM
This used to be one of the more common Mag set-ups. When people realized that back-bottle allowed too much liquid, they went to a vert config. For the guys who wanted to run on-gun and not remote, they would go vert w/ several feet of hose coiled near their hopper.

Shives

Chronobreak
10-12-2006, 11:31 AM
should be fine, 9oz is gonna be like 300 shots

your gonna want atleast a 12, a 16 would be good but might add a tad too much weight.

i used a 20 oz on mine, but that setup didnt last long ;)

flyingpootang
10-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Install a J tube in the tank. If Compressed air is common where you play buy a HP system from ebay for 35-55. It's dosen't give you the headaches with Co2 espically in cold weather...

paintballfiend
10-12-2006, 05:31 PM
I didn't think it was worth getting an HP tank with my set up. However, today I went to fill my CO2 tank and found out the valve was busted. :( I don't know weather to buy a new CO2 tank or just get an HP tank. Mind you I only got a classic vaule and e-spyder.

flyingpootang
10-12-2006, 05:45 PM
HP air is also more consistant and dosent freeze your marker. If you can spare the extra duckets it's a worth while investment

paintballfiend
10-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I was trying it out for the first time and my tank froze over. :eek: Can anyone explain this and offer a solution? I was shooting pretty fast so that might be the problem. Also, I have a microline on my mag so will running CO2 hrew it be a problem? And another question, will a 72/3000 be too awkward and heavy to move around on the field. I don't really know how much they weigh or anything.

flyingpootang
10-13-2006, 11:58 PM
The faster Co2 flows the colder it gets. You can use a larger tank, but compressed air will be the best option. As for tank size goes it's depends on if your field fills to 4500 or not and how long of a tank do you want. I like the size and feel of a 68 4500. Most people use a 72 4500. The 4500's are a little heavier, but hold more air. I can get @ 1200 shots from my emag..

2BAD4U
10-16-2006, 12:25 AM
Co2 is not Mag friendiy. Want better performance? Want cosistent vlocity shot after shot? Buy a compressed air tank. their alot cheeper now then ever & X-mass deals are comming soon. Microline is alot lighter then stainless hosing & comes in a few cool colors. Microline is also easyer 2-work with. HAPPY-HOLIDAYS ......

DaFin
10-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Co2 is not Mag friendiy. .... Microline is alot lighter then stainless hosing & comes in a few cool colors. Microline is also easyer 2-work with. HAPPY-HOLIDAYS ......

CO2 - not true with a classic valve, I have two mags that have run nothing but CO2 since the day they where born with ZERO problems. And just bought a third that was running HP and that mag has issues/demons/ghosts.

Steel braid too heavy? If that little weight difference is that much a concern painbtall is probably too strenuous, the couch is calling. Seriously, if wieght is that big a concern a classic vavled mag is probably not the gun to start with.

One other benefit of running CO2 is that tanks are way cheaper, I just bought a new pair of 20's for $26 each with on/off valves. How much is the cheapest HP tank today?

By my own admission I am an "old school" baller and as such my opinions are biased.

Jaan
10-16-2006, 11:56 AM
I've been running CO2 with a classic valve since before the valves were classic. 13 years. You can easily get a classic valve to run just fine with CO2 even if you shoot fast.

The reason the tank gets cold when you shoot fast is that under pressure CO2 is mostly liquid, and when it expands from a liquid to a gas it wants to absorb heat energy to make that transition. If you shoot too fast it won't have enough time to absorb enough heat and what you end up with is liquid CO2 inside the valve which freezes the seals and then the gun leaks. It won't destroy the gun, you'll just need new seals.

The cheapest way to go is to mount the tank vertically. Inside the tank it's about 70% liquid and the rest is gas. Mounting the tank vertically ensures that you're taking gas off the top. You do NOT want to install a "J" tube this way. Also, someone mentioned taking a long hose and looping it before it gets to the valve. That's a pretty good old school idea.

The next thing would be to mount the tank horizontally under the grip and THEN put in a "J" tube or more commonly referred to as an anti-syphon tube. These have to be installed by a pro shop and be matched to your gun by the way. It's cheap though. Then, mount an expansion tank to the vertical ASA.

You can also go remote too. That would mean carrying the tank on your back and getting a remote hose.

paintballfiend
10-17-2006, 11:36 AM
I want to keep the tank vertically mounted, I like the way it looks. I don't want to freeze my hand off so would using the looped hose idea help? If so, how long of a hose would you guys recommend?

Jaan
10-17-2006, 11:55 AM
The hose won't change how cold the tank gets.

The hose just has to loop once or twice, and zip tie it together. It works like a cheap expansion chamber. It will help keep liquid out of the valve in case you start shooting downhill for example.

Chronobreak
10-17-2006, 12:18 PM
you can get a co2 tank cover which will help the frosting, or some people wrap a layer or two of electric tape around the tank to keep it warmer.

Allfat
10-17-2006, 02:42 PM
you can get a co2 tank cover which will help the frosting, or some people wrap a layer or two of electric tape around the tank to keep it warmer.
actually, most of the time it will do just the opposite. It will not keep it warmer, it will insulate it. And if the tank gets cold, it will keep it cold. It just keeps your hands from getting cold.

Coralis
10-17-2006, 10:08 PM
one thing you have to remember with a vertical set though is not to lay the gun down on the side while you are playing or you will get liquid in the valve and have frosting problems. Also another old school trick was to get a big bottle but only fill partially ( putting 12oz in a 16 oz tank that way you have larger gas volume at the top of the bottle but the best way to run CO2 is with a remote (in my opinion)

matteusz
10-29-2006, 11:06 PM
For the money I would go HPA. If you are thinking of spending less and keeping things vertical then the big tank small fill is the way to go. This will help with the cold tank issue too since you will have less co2 boiling and more in a gas form (ie more surface area on the liquid in the tank and more tank surface area on the outside means a faster conversion and less concetrated area where the exchange is taking place).

Anyway do the math. HPA cheapy tank 50$ mount it any way you want and use it with your spyder and you save in 3 ways.
1. Less oring damage/ time to fix markers.
2. Fills should be cheaper (not so sure on this though)
3. Better consistency= greater accuracy = more hits for less paint

For a Co2 tank with an anti siphon you are looking at what 25-30$? for the price of a pizza you are into hpa. Even your spyder will be worlds better on it. Thats my 2 bits.

chinstrap
10-30-2006, 10:37 AM
And another question, will a 72/3000 be too awkward and heavy to move around on the field. I don't really know how much they weigh or anything.

I just switched to HPA and got an el cheapo Pure Energy 72/3000 aluminum tank from Action Village. The specs for it are here (http://www.buypmi.com/pure_energy.html). While I see how carrying an extra 4 lbs. on the back of your marker could be cumbersome, you can always just grow stronger. It's a pretty good tradeoff; you save a bunch of money and have better performance from your marker while being able to play in sub-fifty-degree weather, but you have to deal with getting all big in the arms in the process.

scion
10-30-2006, 03:25 PM
I don't think there are many people out there that would stop to think, "well at least I'm building up my biceps" when their setup is terribly balanced and a complete pain to play with. I want to upgrade to hpa also and money is an issue. I don't think I would mind the actual weight of a 48/30 or 72/30 as much as the fact that it unbalances the crap out of your gun, making it uncomfortable and hard to aim/ hold/ run with.

riceboi
10-30-2006, 10:12 PM
I don't think there are many people out there that would stop to think, "well at least I'm building up my biceps" when their setup is terribly balanced and a complete pain to play with. I want to upgrade to hpa also and money is an issue. I don't think I would mind the actual weight of a 48/30 or 72/30 as much as the fact that it unbalances the crap out of your gun, making it uncomfortable and hard to aim/ hold/ run with.i have a 72/4500 with a 7" drop and it feel nice and not unbalances at all.

chinstrap
10-31-2006, 09:32 AM
I don't think there are many people out there that would stop to think, "well at least I'm building up my biceps" when their setup is terribly balanced and a complete pain to play with. I want to upgrade to hpa also and money is an issue. I don't think I would mind the actual weight of a 48/30 or 72/30 as much as the fact that it unbalances the crap out of your gun, making it uncomfortable and hard to aim/ hold/ run with.

I doubt there are many people who would stop to think that as well, although I do. My right arm is still sore from the other day and I'm looking forward to when I'll have adapted to it.

But it basically boils down to this:

The weight difference between an aluminum tank and a carbon fiber tank is roughly one or two pounds.

The price difference between an aluminum tank and a low-priced carbon fiber tank is roughly one hundred dollars.

Aiming/holding/running with a marker that has one or two pounds more in the back end is not outside the scope of human adaptation. I seriously doubt it would be "uncomfortable and hard to aim/ hold/ run with" for long unless you only play like once every couple of months and have very few opportunities to get used to it.

With money being the issue here, if the difference between getting HPA or not is learning to manuever a measly one or two pounds on the back end, I say take the pain.

caggers
10-31-2006, 01:52 PM
should be fine, 9oz is gonna be like 300 shots

your gonna want atleast a 12, a 16 would be good but might add a tad too much weight.

i used a 20 oz on mine, but that setup didnt last long ;)

I think you are wrong here. I have a 4oz tank fitted vert on my old Mag and get 300-350 balls from it.

This makes a wonderful 'pistol' setup...