PDA

View Full Version : Nerve or ICD promaster?

Virem
10-13-2006, 07:57 PM
I cant decide if a nerve is worth 200 dollars more then a ICD promaster. I know that the nerve is very discounted now, but the promaster seems to have some pretty good reviews. Not sure if its actualy better, or its just smart parts hype.

warbeak2099
10-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Nerve. It's better stock and you can upgrade the board with Shocker boards.

fullofpaint
10-13-2006, 09:06 PM
yea nerve, they are a far more reliable gun than a promaster and you'll get a lot more bang for your buck cause a nerve is basically a fully upgrades imp. There really are no upgrades for it except like a frame or board

wimag
10-13-2006, 09:19 PM
If the promaster had a better board and regs i would say go for that. By the time the money is dropped in to get better performance you could get a Nerve stock and already be there.

I am a fan of ICD as i own a couple, but would still get the Nerve.

grEnAlEins
10-13-2006, 09:36 PM
I would go for the Nerve. They are not bad guns, sure most of the kiddies don't like them anymore, but they are solid. Throw a predator board in there (and a new trigger if you see fit) and you will be squared away.

Shane-O-Mac
10-13-2006, 09:48 PM
For the price difference, go with the Promaster. The stock board is fine, it has PSP and NPPL modes if thats your thing. Take that $200 and get a CP reg, and a clamping feed, and thats all you really need! Also, the promaster takes cocker barrels, which many people already have, VS impulse thread barrels.

Shane-O

peewee
10-13-2006, 10:46 PM
Promaster all the way!!! I have had a lasoya promaster for a while now & love it to death. Nerve is out of production= dead end to me. They are great markers I had the exact delema really liked the nerve had played with one for a couple games. But the promaster is more cost effective. I dont buy into the whole having to upgrade everything (sorry shane-o) when you get it. My PM is bone stock & rips. The ICD stock freestyle/promaster reg is very good if you give it some time to break in.

autococker04
10-13-2006, 10:52 PM
nerve, i was shooting my friends taoday and it rips, andmaitenence is nothing at all

Shane-O-Mac
10-13-2006, 11:58 PM
The only reason I would change the reg on a Promaster, is because I have seen 6-7 different ones go bad. But I have seen several without any problems whatsoever. Take the extra cash left over, and buy some paint to go play!

Shane-O

SpecialBlend2786
10-14-2006, 12:13 AM
Well, I'd take a used cyborg, angel or Viking over either, but if I had to chose, then yeah it'd be the nerve.

benzy2
10-14-2006, 12:31 AM
It would be tough. A better gun stock with no continued aftermarket or a slightly lesser gun for less money with an aftermarket still in its prime. I think I would take the promaster with the 200 worth of upgrades knowing if there is an aspect of the gun I dont like I could change it with an aftermarket part. Close call though. Ive never heard much bad about nerves.

Jackel411
10-14-2006, 01:16 AM
Promaster because the nerve technically is out of production. Smart parts is just burning up old stock at a much lower price..

Virem
10-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Not so much asking which is better, I am sure the nerve is. Trying to decide if it is 200 dollars better, Probably not going to upgrade much, if anything on either of them. But the nerve does come with a freak barrel.

punkncat
10-14-2006, 09:29 AM
The problem with the promaster and most any ICD marker is and always has been the regs. You will want to replace the HPR and LPR. The stock barrel is crap as well. Clamping feed would be a plus. Then you will have a nice marker. That pretty much offsets your $200 saved.

The Nerve died due to lack of intrest. There was no place for it between the Imp and Shocker for its initial price point. Then the Ion killed it (among many others) completly. Its a great marker right out of the bag. Nice rebound board, decent barrel, clamping feed, and good reg. Nothing needs to be done to it.

I was pleasantly suprized not to see everyone bash just at the mere mention of SP.... :clap:

cpt
10-14-2006, 01:50 PM
I have a nerve. Wow. I've heard a lot about the promaster but never shot one. I got a new Nerve for $325. Freak, barrel sock, lube, extra screws and detents, needs nothing. 1400 shots off a 68/45.

Virem
10-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Where'd ya get one for 325?

Chaos_Theory!
10-14-2006, 02:42 PM
You can get Nerves pretty cheap if ya look around. Id suggest taking that route.

However, as someone said you can get a Viking for $300-$500.

warbeak2099
10-14-2006, 02:43 PM
The problem with the promaster and most any ICD marker is and always has been the regs. You will want to replace the HPR and LPR. The stock barrel is crap as well. Clamping feed would be a plus. Then you will have a nice marker. That pretty much offsets your $200 saved.

The Nerve died due to lack of intrest. There was no place for it between the Imp and Shocker for its initial price point. Then the Ion killed it (among many others) completly. Its a great marker right out of the bag. Nice rebound board, decent barrel, clamping feed, and good reg. Nothing needs to be done to it.

I was pleasantly suprized not to see everyone bash just at the mere mention of SP.... :clap:

QFT. You definitely have to replace the LPR, HPR and barrel. Don't need to on a Nerve. But as someone else said, you can get used Borgs or Vikings for the same if not less. Coolhand is selling an 03 Viking for like $350. Way better than both guns.

cpt
10-14-2006, 03:15 PM
Ebay, look around and be patient

peewee
10-14-2006, 11:20 PM
QFT. You definitely have to replace the LPR, HPR and barrel. Don't need to on a Nerve. But as someone else said, you can get used Borgs or Vikings for the same if not less. Coolhand is selling an 03 Viking for like $350. Way better than both guns.

Wow I must just be lucky . I have owned 4 ICD markers only one had an after market HPR
(came that way) & I have never had an issue with HPR's or LPR's on any of them. 80% of markers come with a crappy barrel. I just cant see stepping into a dead end marker.

benzy2
10-15-2006, 12:27 AM
Wow I must just be lucky . I have owned 4 ICD markers only one had an after market HPR
(came that way) & I have never had an issue with HPR's or LPR's on any of them. 80% of markers come with a crappy barrel. I just cant see stepping into a dead end marker.
Most of the problems I have seen with the regs werent that they couldnt be good but just that out of the box they needed a bit of break in and then once that was done they were very tempermental to small changes. That and at one time ICD put the wrong oring on the pistons and you needed to put a tank oring on instead. Im pretty sure their regs are really close to torps internally.

For me I got a killer deal on my promaster(75 bucks in NIB shape but the lpr was sealed shut. A little muscle and that was fixed.) and as such I wouldnt do it different. If I had 350-450 to buy a new (to me) gun I really think I would go viking.

G Squat
10-15-2006, 09:23 AM
they're both jokes... if you're looking for something that wont break or leak out of somewhere dont get either one of those. spend a little more and get a minion or a nice ion or something. And if you start with the whole" uuuhhhhh.... its an Ion" thing, you're wrong. The money you'd spend on either of those guns could get you an Ion with a new body, virtue, and some other ups that would undoubtedly perform better. The nerve is the laughing stock of all modern paintball guns. And the promaster isnt a great deal better. Dont get some thing just beacause not a lot of people have them. People dont have them for a reason.

stop whining buy a mag
10-15-2006, 10:23 AM
they're both jokes... if you're looking for something that wont break or leak out of somewhere dont get either one of those. spend a little more and get a minion or a nice ion or something. And if you start with the whole" uuuhhhhh.... its an Ion" thing, you're wrong. The money you'd spend on either of those guns could get you an Ion with a new body, virtue, and some other ups that would undoubtedly perform better. The nerve is the laughing stock of all modern paintball guns. And the promaster isnt a great deal better. Dont get some thing just beacause not a lot of people have them. People dont have them for a reason.

Excellent reasoning!

Go with the Nerve. I've had one for over a year and it always works. I can't same the same about ICD products.

peewee
10-15-2006, 12:12 PM

Ions are $200 promasters $250. How much is a virture board again ($125)?? Did they have a massive price drop? New aluminum bodys run +$50. My son owns an ion & it has to have the virture or blackheart board in it to come up the the performance level that the Promaster & nerve are out of the box.

cpt
10-15-2006, 12:23 PM
He asked about nerve/promaster.

warbeak2099
10-15-2006, 12:33 PM
Yea and Virtue is overpriced / made by jackholes

glickstue
10-15-2006, 12:42 PM
Go for the Nerve, I can atest to the ICD regs being near worthless. The Nerve was designed as a complete gun out of the box with no need for upgrades but if you do decide to start tinkering you would be suprised with how many common components there are with the shocker. Plus there is always all the New Designz goddies for the Nerve.