PDA

View Full Version : Who uses cleats?

Carbon Blue
10-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Well I think its about time to retire my paintball shoes (regular old reebok classics) after they saw some serious mud/slippage over the weekend. Ive never tried a pair of cleats in my life and I think its about that time to pick some up. From what Ive read I should purchase soccer cleats because of a less aggressive cleat pattern. What types/brand of cleats do you use and how do you like em?? how much did you pick them up for? Should I be purchasing a size that runs a 1/2 size larger than what I normally wear? thanks for any input

grEnAlEins
10-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Well I think its about time to retire my paintball shoes (regular old reebok classics) after they saw some serious mud/slippage over the weekend. Ive never tried a pair of cleats in my life and I think its about that time to pick some up. From what Ive read I should purchase soccer cleats because of a less aggressive cleat pattern. What types/brand of cleats do you use and how do you like em?? how much did you pick them up for? Should I be purchasing a size that runs a 1/2 size larger than what I normally wear? thanks for any input
I got baseball cleats and they work great! I got mine 1/2 size bigger, but different makers run different sizes, so try them on ;) . I got mine for dirty cheap ($18) on clearance at Value City :dance: I love not slipping around all the time :cool:

CKY_Alliance
10-15-2006, 08:59 PM
Track cleats foo...LIGHT, good grip, flexible..oh and they where marked down from 50 to 20 so that helped...al though if u play airball the metal insert spikes arent legal..but you can take them out and the molded plastic spikes work fine..im eventually going to order some ceramic spikes to replace the metal ones though..track cleats are the way to go..

etjoyride
10-15-2006, 09:15 PM
I have used cleats for the past 3 or so years, never looked back. I even use them to ref sometimes now.
I use the cheap version of nike total 90's, but i personally feel any decent quality soccer cleats will do great. However, if you like ankle support then i would suggest a decent quality football cleat.
top brands to me- adidas, nike, umbro, puma, a few others

glickstue
10-15-2006, 09:23 PM
I've used cleats almost exclusively for the last ten years. The few times I haven't I almost always twist/roll an ankle :mad: .

warbeak2099
10-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Baseball cleats ftw

MisterBones25
10-15-2006, 09:28 PM
i too retired my tennis shoes for some cleats before my first tourny after slipping alot at the practice the week before. i got a pair of addidas football cleats, they grip great, i even wore them to indoor on accident once and they worked great on the turf, but were hell on the slippery concreat. go to some sporting goods store and try some on, find whats comfortable and you will see a noticeable improvement in your game.

Pneumagger
10-15-2006, 09:33 PM
I reccommend some steel baseball cleats. But that's just what I would wear if I wore cleats.

Carbon Blue
10-15-2006, 09:50 PM
thanks for all the input, Ive been using beat up tennis shoes for the past 7 and a half years :ninja:

rkjunior303
10-15-2006, 10:13 PM
fields won't allow metal cleats onto speedball fields..

i use mid-top baseball cleats and have never had a problem... turf shoes work well for indoor places.

jenarelJAM
10-15-2006, 10:28 PM
I got some cheap soccer cleats back when I used to ref for the local woodsball field. It was on a hill, and w/o cleats, it was darn hard to climb up sometimes without worrying about slipping. When it rained, you were concentrating more on climbing than on the game. That's when I decided I needed cleats.
I went to my local Big 5 store and picked up the cheapest soccer cleats that were comfortable, I think they were like $20, and I immediately saw an improvement in the way I played(cause I wouldn't buy them just for reffing :P). Instead of worrying about movement, and having to slow down before I got to the bunker so I wouldn't overshoot it, I was able to worry about the game. Cleats just give you one less thing to worry about.

Then again, the one time I played at an indoor field, it was impossible. I was slipping all over the place. I don't know if it was because of the cleats, or just because they had horrible floors. Everyone else I was playing with was slipping too, I just don't know how much...

RRfireblade
10-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Walmart soccer cleats, $19 ..... Nuff said. ;)

d4m4don3
10-15-2006, 11:15 PM
Just get a pair of cheap cross training shoes from your store dude. Gives you enough grip on turf or dirt.

FlawleZ
10-15-2006, 11:21 PM
I use some cheap Nike Cleats and the traction is great but they're high top and while they support my ankle well, they slow me down. I'm looking into some decent, lightweight cleat that I can AFFORD. ;)

kruger
10-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Flip Plops work best for me. I like the black ones with the tire tread on the bottom, they blend in with the foilage :cool:

mag-owner
10-15-2006, 11:44 PM
i use low-top nike football cleats. new on ebay for $20! whoo!! :headbang:

coyote
10-15-2006, 11:54 PM
Adidas corner blitz football cleats...

The mid highs offer enough ankle support. They are light, and inexpensive. Eastbay.com has em most times for less than $30.

Lohman446
10-16-2006, 12:07 PM
"Open field" football cleats

Nike Land Sharks (bought at clearance for $13)? And the plastic cleated Under Armour ones (I think $45 or such)

geekwarrior
10-16-2006, 12:08 PM
"Open field" football cleats

Nike Land Sharks? And the plastic cleated Under Armour ones.

I use football cleats too, I like high or mid top cleats, for the ankle support.

athomas
10-16-2006, 12:33 PM
I wear football cleats as well. I find they give better support, especially for stop and go movement.

Draken
10-16-2006, 01:01 PM
I run Rebock football turf cleats and love them. light weight, flexable, and VERY good traction without having large cleats

st6212
10-16-2006, 01:11 PM
I originally started with and had been wearing Diggers paintball shoes. Last week I figured it was time for a change and to treat myself, so I went and got a pair of the new Dye ATC shoes.....very nice.

Crazy
10-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Track cleats from www.eastbay.com, only $9.99.

onedude36
10-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Golf shoes ftmfw. Got some nike golf shoes, grip like crazy and I love them so far. they have the grip necessary but they feel like shoes unlike track cleats and off offer a little more support.

JRingold
10-17-2006, 06:35 PM
I use football cleats too, I like high or mid top cleats, for the ankle support.

QFT

The Nike Land Sharks are about the most comfortable cleat I've ever worn, and I've been in and out of baseball, soccer and football cleats since 1992. For speedball, I have a pair of low's and for woodsball a pair of mid-high tops.

iambored
10-17-2006, 06:45 PM
I use Vans, no grip, no extra support. But they're comfortable

spectre184
10-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Walmart soccer cleats, $19 ..... Nuff said. ;)

rgr that! Get them in spring before they go out of season (by start of summer way retailers do things now a day).

MoeMag
10-18-2006, 01:04 AM
nike baseball cleats.
I like the toe cleat on mine. Most of the folks i play with though use soccer cleats.

But I cant say enough for a good pair of combat boots for bush ball.

Jeffy-CanCon
10-18-2006, 02:16 PM
High-top Nike land-sharks. Good grip, and decent ankle support. I wore low-top soccer cleats for a while, but I found they gave no ankle support. Playing in the woods as much as I do, that was a big deal.

shaunyoung000
10-20-2006, 07:02 AM
i use nike tempo cleats, they're pretty good once they're broke in

Carbon Blue
10-20-2006, 09:59 AM
thanks for all the opinions guys, Ive got my eyes set on these mid nike landsharks. They felt SO MUCH MORE comfortable vs the other cleats that I was wearing which felt tooo narrow and offered no ankle support.

paint magnet
10-20-2006, 11:41 AM
I wear Adidas mid-top football cleats, just because it's what I had from playing football. Never been much of a Nike fan, though I'm sure if that's your preference then they'll work fine. I've got a pair of New Balance trail running shoes that work pretty well too, just without the ankle support.

wimag
10-20-2006, 01:42 PM
i wore landsharks until i wore them out. Got a pair of the JT Pro cleats on Ebay for 20 bucks.
Most comfortable cleats i have ever worn. Waterproof as well.

tesBEATSmag
10-20-2006, 05:48 PM
if you cant decide, just wear sandals.

deathstalker
10-22-2006, 05:04 PM
I use Diggers after having worn Nike football cleats for several years. I love the Diggers, picked them up dirt cheap, and would probably only buy softball cleats to replace them.

minimag03
10-22-2006, 06:26 PM
It you want a nice pair of soccer cleats go with a Addias pair. They know how to make cleats at every level. Nike and other brands cheater cleats aren't nearly as high quality.

BD_Paintball
10-22-2006, 06:54 PM
i got some $60 Nike turf cleats on sale for like 20 bucks and they are awesome. i think its a must have if you are playing serious paintball

Sam5992
10-22-2006, 07:46 PM
i mostly where regular shoes, but when i do wear cleats i like high top football cleats....... they have good support, theyre comfortable, and i can run in them.

and i got them for 20 bucks....

PumpMag
10-22-2006, 08:07 PM
I'm suprised you never had an ankle injury! All my teammates use cleats because of all the slippery paint build up on the indoor astroturf. Avoid metal cleats, field owners don't want the astroturf messed up. I prefer combat/military boots. Never sprained an ankle ever.
Magnum boots are of the highest quality. I just replaced them very recently when they finally wore out after years and years of paintball. :headbang:

peewee
10-23-2006, 05:59 AM
I use an old pair of nike soccer cleats bought from "liquidation world" for $5.