PDA

View Full Version : So, how 'bout them ETEK's?

Lenny
10-16-2006, 05:37 PM
I looked around on PB Review, but don't really like all the agg-tastic users. So I decided to ask the great people of Automags.Org.

So what do you all think? I know it's light and I know its fast, but how does it hold? how's the balance? Heft? efficiency? etc...

My local pro shop started carrying these, and I am interested; possibly enough to purchase one.

FromTheBack
10-16-2006, 05:48 PM
One of the better to best markers in the price range in my opinion at the present. I have loved egos for their durability and thats what the Eclipse techs have all told me this marker is what does reliability the best. It has more kick but has a very nice solid feel to it. It's a quality marker for the price and really shouldn't dissapoint.
(fyi I Own a DM6, DMC, hypermag, and have owned a 06 ego and played some games with the ETEK so you know my comparative experience. I work at Eclipse's SE distributor and have spent some with the techs at a few NPPLs and PSPs.)

Lenny
10-16-2006, 06:20 PM
I should mention, kick isn't a big issue with me. As long as it's nothing along the lines of a shotgun kick, I'll be fine.

Thanks.

11 Bravo
10-16-2006, 07:03 PM
It has very little kick or barrel rise. Its a great gun for the money.

bentothejam1n
10-16-2006, 07:09 PM
If you are looking for an electro, its in my top 3 picks.

Dye Matrix.
Eclipse Ego.
Macdev Cyborg.
whats your reasoning behind that??

punkncat
10-16-2006, 07:39 PM
If you are looking for an electro, its in my top 3 picks.

Dye Matrix.
Eclipse Ego.
Macdev Cyborg.

If you are talking "DM3" I will wholly agree with you. One of the best electros ever made IMO. The pinnicle of a great design. The DM6 however is another story.....The Ego is another among a group of markers that share a similar successful design and would have to agree.

I have never even seen a Cyborg in person. I understand that they are much like a refined Impulse, but thats just "what I hear. Designed like the other stacked tube pneu-poppet markers that it can't be bad really.

As my third and as a completion to my threadjacking would be the Angel design, which includes my current infatuation, a Viking.

I have used an Etek and it feels much like the 05 Ego. Its nice and differs little from the Ego itself. I cannot remember the specific differences, but I can't imagine getting one would be a bad thing to do.

Lenny
10-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. But...

I already understand they shoot great, blah blah blah. But how are they to hold? Is the balance good? Comfy grip frame? Well positioned buttons? Are the buttons mushy or do they have a good click? etc.

I would like some info on the rarely spoken about aspects of the gun. The make or break (for me) opinions. It's because of those comfort and wielding type opinions that I stick with Automags. They are just, well, comfy (viva le UMF!). I could go on all day about it, but I won't.

So, how 'bout it?

kruger
10-16-2006, 11:47 PM
It does have good balance, but as with any marker, that can be thrown off by the mounting of the tank. The buttons are "mushy", there is no tactile feel to them, if that is what you are asking. And, it tucks in pretty tight easily. I hade one for a while, and traded it off. To me, and this is just my opinion, it did not shoot any better than any of my other markers. So I traded it for something that I wanted more than the Ego. But, that is not a stike against the Ego, just a matter of preference. They are a good marker for the price range.

robnix
10-16-2006, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. But...

I already understand they shoot great, blah blah blah. But how are they to hold? Is the balance good? Comfy grip frame? Well positioned buttons? Are the buttons mushy or do they have a good click? etc.

I would like some info on the rarely spoken about aspects of the gun. The make or break (for me) opinions. It's because of those comfort and wielding type opinions that I stick with Automags. They are just, well, comfy (viva le UMF!). I could go on all day about it, but I won't.

So, how 'bout it?

Dude at a local field let me shoot his a few weeks ago. It really felt nice, it put a big one of these :D on my face.

FlawleZ
10-17-2006, 08:28 AM
The Ego has a very nice feel to it. It's a light gun that is fairly easy to adapt to. The trigger might take a bit of adjusting to get to your particular liking, but all in all they're great guns.

If you are talking "DM3" I will wholly agree with you. One of the best electros ever made IMO. The pinnicle of a great design. The DM6 however is another story.....

Care to explain?

rkjunior303
10-17-2006, 11:58 AM
Think of a Borg as more of a stacked tube Viking.

punkncat
10-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Care to explain?

Well I can try, but of course being my opinion, you will probably not be impressed.

The Diablo Matrix was a superb marker for its time. One of if not the first spool valve electronic. And especially good as it was reliable and popular.... Many years and a few different owners, Diablo to GenE to Dye, later all the design improvements to the same platform resulted in great reliablility and exceptional performance.

The later DM (4+) series have been plagued with varying problems that although they are lighter and arguably perform a bit better (?) are not nearly as reliable as a Matrix. The new 6 has had problems from the getgo. Not only evidenced on local fields but also in its almost immediate loss in resale value. I have personally seen several 6's go for LESS than 5's.
I will say that the ultralight frame deserves mention......

Lenny
10-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Sounds great. Thanks guys.

Toll
10-17-2006, 07:43 PM
I liked the etek I shot....If it wasnt for the fact that I was told it was an etek it would just have been a regular ego to me.

Getting them used in the 500$ Range is really quite a boon if you can get the deal.

don miguel
10-17-2006, 07:47 PM
I know a kid at my school that was going to buy one but bought a DMC instead because he thought the etek ego was "cheap feeling" he compared it too an electro pirahna. I have never held/shot one, but mabe that will help you.

Sam5992
10-17-2006, 08:39 PM
i dont have one, but a guy on my team does. Its pretty nice. He says its really easy to maintain, and it can take a beating pretty well. then theres the facts that its light fast, and for an ego, pretty cheap. Id say get it.

going_home
10-17-2006, 09:20 PM
Why settle for an Ion when you can have a real Ego ?
It would be different if it was almost the same marker as an Ego but its not.
The real deal is not that much of a difference in money.
Dont buy an Ego-lite, get a real Ego, you wont be sorry you did.
The Ego is a way better marker than the Etek.

lather
10-17-2006, 10:31 PM
Why settle for an Ion when you can have a real Ego ?
It would be different if it was almost the same marker as an Ego but its not.
The real deal is not that much of a difference in money.
Dont buy an Ego-lite, get a real Ego, you wont be sorry you did.
The Ego is a way better marker than the Etek.

An Ego is not way better than an Etek. After shooting both, I honestly cant tell the difference between the two.

a little slower maybe (if it makes any difference), no QEV's, but an Etek is a simpler design, less hosing--less chance of leakage and hosing issues.

Ego is to Etek like DM6 is to PM6. :)

11 Bravo
10-17-2006, 11:17 PM
^^^^ Yeh if your shooting under 20 bps your not going to see a difference in speed. Supposedly the E-Tek is only one or two bps slower than the Ego. A lot of people have said that the E-Tek has less kick than the Ego, because it doesnt have the qevs. This provides a cusion.

I think all Ego owners and former owners talk down the E-Tek. I believe its that they are jealous of the fact that they spent all that money and have nothing to show for it compared to the "Ego Lite".
You should have seen the E-tek forum on Pbn about a month ago. The only people on all of pbn to bash the E-Tek was the Ego owners. You wouldnt see anyone from the other forums coming in there bashing. It was just the Ego guys. :tard:

mobsterboy
10-17-2006, 11:54 PM
^^^^ Yeh if your shooting under 20 bps your not going to see a difference in speed. Supposedly the E-Tek is only one or two bps slower than the Ego. A lot of people have said that the E-Tek has less kick than the Ego, because it doesnt have the qevs. This provides a cusion.

I think all Ego owners and former owners talk down the E-Tek. I believe its that they are jealous of the fact that they spent all that money and have nothing to show for it compared to the "Ego Lite".
You should have seen the E-tek forum on Pbn about a month ago. The only people on all of pbn to bash the E-Tek was the Ego owners. You wouldnt see anyone from the other forums coming in there bashing. It was just the Ego guys. :tard:

maybe they were jealous and let their "egos" get too big about their ego's... :ninja:

Pneumagger
10-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Honestly, the ego and etek are pretty much the same marker. Plus, when you throw in an aftermarket board in a few months... it's rip as hard as any ego. And when I shot that '05 ego at splat that one day... It just plain ripped. :shooting:

What do the eteks retail for? Personally, I would pick up just about any marker used rather than new. A clean well shooting used marker will be about 60% of the retail if you look hard enough. Some people say that the principal of buying a used marker can be questionable because of previous wear and use making it not as reliable as the new one. But honestly... If a few month old $600+ dollar gun has questionable reliability after 5 cases of paint, is it worth buying new to begin with plus having to break it in yourself?

My pneumag was made from nearly 100% new parts pieced together and was very $$$ to do so. If I could do it again... You can bet your butt I woulda went the used parts route. If I were to sell off that gun... I'd be just a tad over breaking even. So ultimately, I suggest buying used from PBN or something. Plus it might even have a few ups and worst that could happen is an oring/noid/or board failure. Even then replacing a bad part or two would be cheaper than buying retail.

Think of a Borg as more of a stacked tube Viking.
I found this post extremely helpful in this thread :tard:

going_home
10-19-2006, 07:22 PM

The only way anyone could say the Etek and the Ego are the same marker is if they have never compared them.
Its like comparing a Maseratti and a Yugo. Well maybe not quite that bad but close.
The Ego comes with all the bells and whistles, the Etek not only doesnt come with the bells and whistles, you cant even upgrade and get them.
So comparing the Etek to an Ion was my mistake, at least the Ion has boo coo upgrades.
If the prospective buyer is only looking at price he will get the Etek.
If he compares apples to apples, features and lack of features, he will get the Ego.
And that my friends is the rest of the story.
:ninja:

11 Bravo
10-19-2006, 07:53 PM
I didnt say that they were the same. I will say that the E-Tek is a better gun for the money. What do you get for spending that extra what 5 or 6 hundred dollars? Qev s. Wow :eek: wee :rolleyes:

Oh and thanks for proving my point. :cheers:

going_home
10-19-2006, 08:51 PM
I didnt say that they were the same. I will say that the E-Tek is a better gun for the money. What do you get for spending that extra what 5 or 6 hundred dollars? Qev s. Wow :eek: wee :rolleyes:

Oh and thanks for proving my point. :cheers:

No the point is the Ego is 250.00 more.
Not worth fooling with the Etek for the price difference.
Planet Eclipse just plain got greedy and screwed up pricing the Eteks at 750.00.
Lets face it, its a decent marker at 500.00 but its overpriced at 750.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-new-in-the-box-stock-ready-to-ship-06-Ego-N-R_W0QQitemZ330039344349QQihZ014QQcategoryZ16048QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh and a previous poster said they were the same, which they arent even close to being the same.
The Ego is twice the marker the Etek is.

:D

kruger
10-19-2006, 09:34 PM
I would really appreciate it if you define "twice the marker"

The main differences between the two are: No QEV, no display, No Hall switch. To me, and this is just my opinion, the lack of those items do not make half the gun. Just what is it that you think makes a gun? Is a Proto half of a DM? Is an Emag half of an Xmag? It seems to me that this is the same. Also, you say "just 200$ more" 200 bucks is not that much to me, but it is a heck of a lot of money to a lot of other people.

I am just curious as to how you arrived at this conclusion

11 Bravo
10-19-2006, 11:05 PM
He was and maybe still is an Ego owner and he cant stand it. ;)

kruger
10-19-2006, 11:13 PM
OH, and now the "plot thickens" I understand a bit more about how to read his posts.

going_home
10-20-2006, 07:42 PM
He was and maybe still is an Ego owner and he cant stand it. ;)

LOL. I had an 06 Ego. Got rid of it when I got the Xmod on the Emag.
I'm all mags now except for the pumps.
Get the Etek I dont care. The first post asked a question and I answered it.
You didnt like my answer. But its the truth anyhow nonetheless.
The Etek board is half the board the Ego has. Thats a fact.
And lets look at the Star trigger frame versus .... what ?
Etek-break beam eye (yes eye singular) , Ego- BBSS Break Beam low profile breech Sensor System .
I could go on and on but you guys can read cant you ???
I suppose I could copy all the info on both markers from PlanetEclipse.com but
would you guys really care ?
Do what you want, buy the one you want.
Say what you want too, but there are some MAJOR differences in the two markers.
There is a reason the Etek is less money.
Good luck on whichever one you get.
I would say if you asked me, get an Emag with all of Tunamans upgrades and then get the
Xmod software, and forget the Etek and the Ego.
Goodnight Gracie.

:D

11 Bravo
10-20-2006, 09:07 PM
^^^^^^^^ TOOOOO mutch CAFFEINE.

IF you have shot both you would see (if honest) that they shoot the same. So all those things that you listed are either overkill or just fancy bells and whistles to drain your wallet.
Its not that I didnt like your answer its just that I felt I had to point out that your WRONG.

lather
10-20-2006, 10:05 PM
An Sl66 is 2.432 times better than an 06 EGO.....

kruger
10-20-2006, 10:35 PM
I think that you are a bit low on your estimate, its more like 2.719 :rofl:

going_home
10-20-2006, 10:48 PM
^^^^^^^^ TOOOOO mutch CAFFEINE.

IF you have shot both you would see (if honest) that they shoot the same. So all those things that you listed are either overkill or just fancy bells and whistles to drain your wallet.
Its not that I didnt like your answer its just that I felt I had to point out that your WRONG.

Well you know what they say, opinions are like feet,
most people have them and most of them stink.

Its too bad that the facts tell the tale and prove that I am right.
Better go read what both are made of, they arent equal at all.
Thats why my last post proved you are wrong. LOL

:tard:

11 Bravo
10-21-2006, 12:12 AM
OKay okay, but results speak for themselves. They shoot the same and one is cheaper than the other.

Sorry to hear that your feet stink. :D

hvacman250
10-21-2006, 12:19 AM
Its an open bolt cannon :) Loud and inaccurate.

Buy a DM6:)

going_home
10-21-2006, 09:41 AM
OKay okay, but results speak for themselves. They shoot the same and one is cheaper than the other.

Sorry to hear that your feet stink. :D

LOL

:tard:

jman511115
10-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Its an open bolt cannon :) Loud and inaccurate.

Buy a DM6:)

Lol. Accuracy is not a function of ANYTHING other than the smoothness of the barrel bore, the quality of the paint, and the match of paint size to bore size.

To answer the original question. If your local proshop has them, ask them if you can hold one, or maybe even shoot it. If you are a potential customer, they should be pretty compliant. The markers are fairly light, and they balance pretty well by themselves, it really depends on what tank, loader, and barrel you use. Good luck. :)

AzrealDarkmoonZ
10-21-2006, 02:42 PM
I went with the Etek because the standard Ego did not justify the price difference. I could have went with either one but one big thing about the Ego stuck out, its switch. I replaced the optical switch in my E2 with a microswitch and since the Etek already had it and after shooting both I could not tell a difference in how the actual fun shoots/holds.

Its a tiny fast marker at a good price, if you want new then its the way to go. If you are open to new and used best bang for buck is going to be an old Viking. Honestly I would take it over my Excalibur just for one simple fact, weight and handling. I run Etek, Revvy and 45/45, after a long scenario roughly a month ago my arms were a LOT less tired after using the Etek as opposed to previous experiences with the Excal. Of course if I had to bet on which one would last long, my money would be on the Excal but I have yet to experience any issues with the Etek, PE makes quality products and I have put 6-7 cases through it no problem without a chop or hiccup. Gets enough air efficiency for me and shoots well, I cant ask anything more of it.

Az

Pneumagger
10-21-2006, 03:11 PM
did you guys see the new PM7? $999 :tard:

My local proshop guy showed me one toda and he'll be allowed to start selling them soon i guess. Different board, different eye covers, infintessimally smaller and lighter... same ol' thing. They seem decent but nothing to merit and "increase" in price. Placing a PM7 @ the price mark of $1000ish is retarded. I can't imagine what the DM7 is gonna sell for :wow: .

I expect P.E. to start selling more eteks if they hold thier prices as is.

hvacman250
10-21-2006, 03:43 PM

My local proshop guy showed me one toda and he'll be allowed to start selling them soon i guess. Different board, different eye covers, infintessimally smaller and lighter... same ol' thing. They seem decent but nothing to merit and "increase" in price. Placing a PM7 @ the price mark of $1000ish is retarded. I can't imagine what the DM7 is gonna sell for :wow: .

$1349-1399 for the DM7

Dye guns always start high, then drop $2-300 after a couple months.

SpecialBlend2786
10-21-2006, 04:43 PM

I don't know why everyone is so surprized with this. Hasn't everyone learned that whenever Proto comes out with a new PM, it starts off at $999 and then drops to $750 a month or two later?

Exact same thing has been happening for awhile now..

Lenny
10-22-2006, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the opinions. I didn't realize they were missing so many features...

I want a new EP (besides my 'mag, Pneumagger), but I really hate the DM/PM's (they feel... funky... to me) and I really want to support my local proshop. All they carry EP wise are Etek's, Ions, and DM/PM's.

Thanks you all, though.