PDA

View Full Version : how would you earn a "medal for heroism" in the ROTC?

Glickman
10-19-2006, 10:03 PM
im not looking to join or anything, just something that boggled my mind

i saw some AROTC guys drilling in my college and heard one of them say something about a "medal for heroism"

how would you think someone in the ROTC gets this medal?

aside from taking a fork to the chest for a fellow civilian during a food fight that is.

BobTheCow
10-20-2006, 02:50 AM
Google is fun :)

http://www.purdue.edu/armyrotc/awards.php

ROTC Medal for Heroism

Qualifications: Cadets who distinguishes themselves by acts of heroism performed on or off campus, act must result in accomplishment so exceptional/outstanding as to set cadet apart from others in similar circumstances and must involve acceptance of danger or extraordinary responsibilities exemplifying praiseworthy fortitude and courage

That's for Army ROTC, may be slightly different for other branches.

SCpoloRicker
10-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Yellow Keyboard Brigade 101st?

Lohman446
10-20-2006, 02:47 PM
I had a friend who received a commendation for off-duty actions. Basically scaled a fence into the neighbors yard, drug out a drowning swimmer from the pool, and performed CPR. Granted was in the full fledge army, but same type of thing I expect

Jeffy-CanCon
10-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Here in Canada's capital city, three reservists with the ceremonial guard won bravery medals a few years back. A woman lost control of her car and sank it in the Rideau canal, and these guys jumped in to get her out.

warbeak2099
10-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Hey I wonder if we midshipmen can do that!? Not that I'm in it for the medals... I'm in it for the uniform! Especially those whites, graarrr!

In all seriousness I have heard of that and discussed it with some of my fellow midshipmen in my unit. We all thought it was for doing something heroic if something happened on a summer cruise. Eg. A terrorist gunboat attacks the Cruiser that you're on and you get on a 50 lol. But that does sound right about earning the award for doing something heroic in a civilian setting. Oh, and I'm in it to serve my country lol. The whites are just a plus. The blues aren't half bad either!